Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

IT

Spoiler

HUMAN RESOURCES

We are continuing to monitor the situation with prospective Director of Player Personnel Drew Hughes. It’s not certain he’ll be able to take the job because of the Tennessee imbroglio. We can’t report on that situation authoritatively but we’ve heard it’s a tangled mess that could affect other schools. That isn’t to say Hughes is involved, it’s more to say it’s a jumbled mess that might not be resolved anytime soon and it’s directly affecting UT’s ability to hire Hughes.

Elsewhere. Bryan Carrington continues to be in demand with the latest overtures coming from USC. It’s certainly conceivable the Trojans hire UT’s ace greeter. The term greeter is not said in jest, he’s very good at his job and he’s not always tasked with the easiest personalities. On top of his people skills, the timing of losing him would not be great as the new coaches aren’t able to hit the road and create definitive recruiting bonds.

Meanwhile, Stan Drayton is hearing from the NFL. We’ll maintain we don’t think he’ll leave his current position but he’s fielding very real interest and you just never know. It would take an amazing deal to uproot him.

Finally. We expect Jake Langi and JM Jones to be retained. With the hire of Pete Kwiatkowski, Langi’s impact could increase greatly. Jones has been at Texas since late stage Mack Brown. He was the architect behind the PWO program and is seen as upwardly mobile even outside of football.

RECRUITING MATTERS

Sarkisian knows how important his first quarterback take will be. The in-state guys are there, Sark just has to zero in on one.

As it looks, we believe Texas is in a good spot for state champ Cade Klubnik. Klubnik might not be Quinn Ewers when it comes to recruiting impact, but he would indeed have a positive recruiting impact. Klubnik has been incorrectly assumed to be A&M’s for the taking. We’re certainly not saying he’s a Texas lock but the Horns are in it.

The quarterback situation will garner headlines as long as Quinn Ewers is still in play, and he’s still in play. Ewers built a relationship with Sarkisian to the point we were monitoring Alabama as a possible destination. Ewers has a good relationship with Ryan Day but he’s been receptive to Sark. That prior relationship could end up being big and will continue to pursue him.

Californian Maalik Murphy is a mystery, but one to watch. Until he hits campus or puts together some semblance of varsity game tape, he remains a mystery and internet folklore.

Josh Hoover and Conner Weigman are your next guys on the big board. Texas has reached out to Weigman and we think they'll continue to get closer to the Bridgeland two-sport athlete. The staff has yet to contact Hoover, but that could change quickly. He’s QB1 for a lot of schools.

• Hook 'Em 4

TFB

Spoiler

***Texas finally filled out their staff with the official announcement of coach Jeff Choate who will handle inside linebackers and serve as Co-DC to coach K.

***Since coach K and coach Choate have just arrived, we’re still waiting to see what Texas will do with 2022 LB recruiting.

***As I said, I stopped by to see 2022 LB Justin Medlock, earlier this week. He said prior to Herman’s departure he was hearing from Texas quite a bit.

But the new staff has not reached out yet. I’m sure coach K and company will begin the evaluation and re-offer process soon.

***A no brainer in LB recruiting is re-offering 5-star LB Harold Perkins. I went and saw him as well.

Harold told me that Jeff Banks has reached out. So, it’s pretty clear once the LB coaches start recruiting, they will be in touch with Harold. I will say though that he has head coaches recruiting him. So, I’d like to see Sark begin to do the same once the defensive staff has made contact.

***Also, went by to see 2022 QB Conner Weigman…

Right now, this feels like a Florida, TAMU, OU battle with Baylor and Arkansas in the mix. But there is still time for Texas to make their move. Coach Milwee is in touch with Conner but they haven’t offered him yet. It appears they are going to see what kind of move they can make with Ewers and Klubnik.

***We did have some excitement this week with 5-star WR, Evan Stewart. It appeared to be a done deal but again, sounds like the folks around him felt it was best to slow things down. We will be checking on him.

***It looks like Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon have begun diving into the 2022 film. A few notable in-state offers went out this week to Terrance Brooks (John Paul II). He’s probably the best in-state CB I’ve seen on film, so far. Brooks’ father played at TAMU but it doesn’t seem they are much in the mix.

***Also, an offer went out to 2022 safety, Bryce Anderson (West Brook). Texas will likely be fighting TAMU and LSU in that one. More on him later.

***2022 DB Bryan Allen (Aledo) was also re-offered. Allen is a dangerous safety prospect. More on him later, as well.

***Coach Flood has been busy. He’s made some offers in his stomping grounds up in the NY/NJ area but also re-offered 2022 in-state OLs Kam Dewberry (Atascocita) and Devon Campbell (Arlington Bowie).

***News broke last night about Texas Director of Recruiting, Bryan Carrington heading out west to interview with USC. I’m told by folks out west that an offer has been made to Carrington and it’s a substantial one. And, as others have noted it would put Carrington in a position to perhaps transition to an on-field role.

***I’m told Sark is aware and we should know what kind of counter offer is made by Monday or Tuesday.

***Also, it’s been reported that Drew Hughes who was set to take the position of player personnel director has been put on pause due to the on-going Tennessee investigations. I had heard about this earlier this week and was told at the time that it should be resolved within two weeks. If that’s the case it would clear things up by the end of next week or early the week after.

***But you never know how these things will go. And, the issue right now is Drew is crucial in the hiring process of other support roles like Director of Recruiting, Director of High School Relations (x2), and others. So, for now, those things seem to be on hold, as well.

***With a full staff now, though, they should be able to begin a blitz on high priority targets while they get the rest of the personnel stuff figured out. Sark and Flood have already been on a tear when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

• Hook 'Em 3

New recruiting rules...

D1 staffs can call juniors starting Monday and other recruiting changes

By Zach Barnett -  January 29, 2021

The NCAA on Friday approved a number of pandemic-induced rules changes in regards to recruiting and staffing.

Most immediately, Division I football staffs can begin calling high school juniors or their family members beginning Feb. 1, which is this coming Monday.

In another major change, just as the 2020-21 season doesn’t count toward a players’ eligibility, neither does it count on graduate assistants’ eligibility clock. Provided they are in good academic standing, GAs are permitted to return for a fourth season. Because everyone wants to spend more time living that GA life.

Here is the full list of changes:

Es7XfmaXYAA8L3h?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is the kind of shit I wish they wouldn’t waste their time on. It seems like it is some sort of rite of passage for each new staff go fart-huffing deep in the SEC backwater for players they have no chance of getting. Go west, northwest, north, and northeast you fuckheads, but stay the fuck out of Baton Rouge and Birmingham. Fucking fuckity fuck. 

It’s really a bad choice of resources. Go compete against a shitty SEC program as the easiest and closest and cheapest non- local option or go play the bag game against 9 National/regional powers. Fuck man, pick the low hanging fruit. 

10 hours ago, golfclap said:

I understand the idea here but I'm not a buyer in the Alabama model - with a deluge of carpet bombed offers to attend a camp and get an offer. Not because it doesn't work for Bama but because Texas simply isn't going to commit at the level that Bama does. I just don't believe it. Every guy coming from the Saban system says "we are going to do it the Bama way. We are going to build out the same type of team." Not one has done it. Kirby took over much of what Richt already had in place and then when he couldn't replicate the entire Bama org just haphazardly started dropping bags and he's the success story in the scenario. 

Saban can throw down that many offers because he has that many people working on evals and on communication with these players. Sure, an offer costs nothing but keeping that line of communication open? That takes staff energy, time, and resources. It takes a tremendous amount of work to continue these type of recruitments and to keep the water simmered but bot boiled. Saban simply throws more manpower at the problem because Alabama is willing to do that. They are willing to employ far more people, including skilled experienced (Read: expensive) people. Oregon fucked around and found out. Other teams have tried and failed as well. 

I think Clemson's style and staff is the better, more reproducible model. Clemson does a fantastic job with evaluations, they do not carpet bomb but they will put an emphasis on a position group and put 15-20 offers out in a group when they see similar evals and then it's first come, first served. They also do a fantastic job at getting out of recruitments. They don't ignore the signs and waste time/effort/experience on a recruit that is unlikely to sign there (maximizing that ROI) and they do an incredible job of determining when to drop the recruit from their end. See the Brockermeyers, they didn't feel like James was worthy of a scholarship, nor that Tommy was worth two and didn't talk around the problem, nor did they stay invested (even in Tommy) once they had made their decision "just in case they change their mind." They trust the evals from non-coaches like Batson. Texas was already on the road to building a system like that and could very well elevate their personnel dept to follow that model and it much more attainable and tenable, imo. Each time you find a great evaluator at a lesser school - you steal him. Your people will grow and move to new bigger roles, so you ensure that you have a few more people than you have need. 

Sark’s a smart guy.  He was on his way to success before his whole drinking problem. He’s also way more likable than Herman.  I’m sure he’ll be fine.  To me, he seems like a young Mack Brown with a set of balls.  We’ll see though.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Hook 'Em 3

I don't think either of those guys is as hard to replace as you think they are.
They arent, but still sucks to lose them. Not sure Drayton is one of the top 10 RB coaches in the nation, but he made his name on the shoulders of Zeke Elliott, and now Bijan...no matter if he had help recruiting/developing both or it's simply their natural ability. That sort of thing is huge to recruits wanting to tote the rock. As for Carrington, he was key in landing Ossai and a few others that werent exactly locks..the dude has value, just not irreplaceable.

I don't think either of those guys is as hard to replace as you think they are.

This. I like drayton but no so long ago we were saying how he doesn’t do much in recruiting. (Before landing Bijan). players like him just like Coleman but it’s not like theyre hard to replace.

Pretty obvious Carrington planned to leave when he went MIA from Twitter. He could stay but losing him to USC doesn’t scare me. It’s USC with Helton. They might as well hire Herman at the rate they’re going with former Texas staff.

2 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

This. I like drayton but no so long ago we were saying how he doesn’t do much in recruiting. (Before landing Bijan). players like him just like Coleman but it’s not like theyre hard to replace.

Pretty obvious Carrington planned to leave when he went MIA from Twitter. He could stay but losing him to USC doesn’t scare me. It’s USC with Helton. They might as well hire Herman at the rate they’re going with former Texas staff.

They will get 1 year to prove it.

7 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

If Drayton leaves we should call Samples then? Rainmaker recruiter to help bolster Dallas influence?

Sure. They could upgrade big time from a recruiting perspective with a new hire.

Edited by Bevo14

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Let's not forget Drayton was responsible for our inexplicable RB rotations for the past few years. 

No, he wasn’t. When the RB, TE, OL and WR personnel decisions all suck despite a revolving door of position coaches at some of those spots, it should lead you back to the common denominator (Herman), not position coaches.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Its about developing players. Bijan could have gone to Ohio State where Elliot played but he decided on Texas where Elliot's coach was. Its about relationships and losing Drayton would be a blow. Relationships and track records  don't happen overnight and just replacing him with a hot shot recruiter doesn't always work and will be a big target for negative recruiting. Let's hope he stays.

What story am I missing about Drayton? Where is that coming from?

Regarding Carrington, he's been offered a guaranteed 3 years with a 33% raise. He's facing a different role with the same title if he stays at Texas. The dogs they've brought in to recruit have egos and like to be the leads on their targets and have the primary relationship. LA is also a better place for his wife's career, which is burgeoning towards stardom in social media. I feel fairly certain he's gone. 

• Hook 'Em 9

8 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Its about developing players. Bijan could have gone to Ohio State where Elliot played but he decided on Texas where Elliot's coach was. Its about relationships and losing Drayton would be a blow. Relationships and track records  don't happen overnight and just replacing him with a hot shot recruiter doesn't always work and will be a big target for negative recruiting. Let's hope he stays.

How so? It's not like we'd be firing him.

From a recruiting/relationships standpoint, (likely) losing Harris would arguably be the bigger blow.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What story am I missing about Drayton? Where is that coming from?

IT said he's entertaining NFL offers again

21 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

From a recruiting/relationships standpoint, (likely) losing Harris would arguably be the bigger blow.

I remember early on it being said that he liked having close proximity with his daughters and was content with staying at Texas. I wonder if Sark told him it is time to get off your ass and start recruiting, since running back coaches have a relatively easy job?

CHIEF

To be clear, IT made it sound like they don't think Drayton will leave, just that he's getting interest and it's possible. Unlike Carrington, he's been tweeting UT stuff lately including today so clearly not out the door yet.

I know he's not a volume recruiter but he's wanted by NFL teams for a reason and players seem to love him. Plus if he lands LJ and Blue alongside Bijan and Brooks, he will have crushed RB recruiting 3 years in a row. 

No insider info but sure seems like Carrington is gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Some posters suggested replacing Drayton with Samples if I understood them correctly. He would be a target for negative recruiting because other teams would point 

out his lack of success and lack of development background.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I know he's not a volume recruiter but he's wanted by NFL teams for a reason and players seem to love him. Plus if he lands LJ and Blue alongside Bijan and Brooks, he will have crushed RB recruiting 3 years in a row. 

Yeah I guess it just depends on what the head coach’s expectations/needs are for a rb coach. Drayton seems to recruit his own position well but that amounts to 1 or 2 guys a year. Which can be fine if you make it up with a volume recruiter in other spots (Banks). 

It’s not really fine if the same offensive staff has Corby Meekins at TE coach to pick up the slack.

25 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Some posters suggested replacing Drayton with Samples if I understood them correctly. He would be a target for negative recruiting because other teams would point 

Drayton isn't a great recruiter. That wouldn't be a drop-off and any plus guy would finally recruit outside his position. 

Drayton is probably not leaving though.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

To be clear, IT made it sound like they don't think Drayton will leave, just that he's getting interest and it's possible. Unlike Carrington, he's been tweeting UT stuff lately including today so clearly not out the door yet.

No insider info but sure seems like Carrington is gone.

We give him shit for 2018, but from the stories I have heard, missing out on Noah Cain was on Herman being a tone deaf dipshit and not on Drayton.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Counterpoint: He would have two years of Bijan and one year of Roschon to brag about.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting