Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I mean, in my mind, the fucking guy is a step away from being a coordinator. He's closer than all but about 200 people on the planet. 

We need to figure out how to create some sort of neg swarm that hurts but doesn't kill, until it needs to kill. Like a vow of unity that 25 of us commit to that immediately negs things like the following:

1) A position coach elsewhere taking an analyst or off-field role here. See also: standing coordinators for P5 taking position roles here.

2) 3 man front ignorance.

3) Corey Redding moving to linebacker.

4) Advocating for Oscar Giles as a recruiter. 

I'm sure there are 30 more. 

I agree in principle....but that sounds a lot like the treaty agreements that started WW1....

• Haha 1

USC 247 (non)-update on Carrington

Spoiler

As reported on The Peristyle earlier Thursday, sources say USC is expected to formally offer Texas Director Of Recruiting Bryan Carrington a job this weekend. It was implied a job offer was already in play for Carrington, but this weekend’s meeting with the Trojans coaching staff is to be more official. Carrington, who followed Tom Herman from Houston to Texas, has been in contact with USC about a position on their support staff for the past few weeks.

Sources noted in November that USC intended on expanding their support staff this offseason, so this is not just a matter of the athletic department filling holes left by departing personnel like Chris Claiborne and Hayes Pullard. Carrington has no on-the-field coaching experience, so he would obviously join the team with a different set of objectives than Claiborne or Pullard.

A source in Texas says that Carrington will meet with Clay Helton and USC representatives in person in Los Angeles. That has also been confirmed by USC team sources. Carrington’s title at USC is to be determined, but sources believe it would be in a recruiting capacity. Carrington has been a recruiting point man for the Longhorn’s coaching staff. Sources say that Texas does want to keep Carrington, so Steve Sarkisian may eventually offer him an extension after his visit to Los Angeles.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

As reported on The Peristyle earlier Thursday, sources say USC is expected to formally offer Texas Director Of Recruiting Bryan Carrington a job this weekend. It was implied a job offer was already in play for Carrington, but this weekend’s meeting with the Trojans coaching staff is to be more official. Carrington, who followed Tom Herman from Houston to Texas, has been in contact with USC about a position on their support staff for the past few weeks.

Sources noted in November that USC intended on expanding their support staff this offseason, so this is not just a matter of the athletic department filling holes left by departing personnel like Chris Claiborne and Hayes Pullard. Carrington has no on-the-field coaching experience, so he would obviously join the team with a different set of objectives than Claiborne or Pullard.

A source in Texas says that Carrington will meet with Clay Helton and USC representatives in person in Los Angeles. That has also been confirmed by USC team sources. Carrington’s title at USC is to be determined, but sources believe it would be in a recruiting capacity. Carrington has been a recruiting point man for the Longhorn’s coaching staff. Sources say that Texas does want to keep Carrington, so Steve Sarkisian may eventually offer him an extension after his visit to Los Angeles.

Would be a bold move jumping ship to work under one of the hottest seats in CFB. You'd think he would've seen how that worked out for the guys that just came to UT last year 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

His potential replacement just stepped down at Oregon. 

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I mean, in my mind, the fucking guy is a step away from being a coordinator. He's closer than all but about 200 people on the planet. 

We need to figure out how to create some sort of neg swarm that hurts but doesn't kill, until it needs to kill. Like a vow of unity that 25 of us commit to that immediately negs things like the following:

1) A position coach elsewhere taking an analyst or off-field role here. See also: standing coordinators for P5 taking position roles here.

2) 3 man front ignorance.

3) Corey Redding moving to linebacker.

4) Advocating for Oscar Giles as a recruiter. 

I'm sure there are 30 more. 

This sounds suspiciously like a Fatwa. Fatwa is most likely what pissed the moles off from Steve Patterson's office when they were sniffed out on Shaggy and monsters like TOR and Vik Mackey and JT kept blasting them off the board. Steve Patterson then turns around and sues Shaggy for the most pressing legal issue of the 21st century: Bevo Mutilation, or for the lawyers,  Bevo femininorum DETRUNCATIO. For Blacklab's children, please no more Fatwa. 

Author's note: I may have taken some creative license with my recollection of history, but it's real to me damnit! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is the kind of shit I wish they wouldn’t waste their time on. It seems like it is some sort of rite of passage for each new staff go fart-huffing deep in the SEC backwater for players they have no chance of getting. Go west, northwest, north, and northeast you fuckheads, but stay the fuck out of Baton Rouge and Birmingham. Fucking fuckity fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is the kind of shit I wish they wouldn’t waste their time on. It seems like it is some sort of rite of passage for each new staff go fart-huffing deep in the SEC backwater for players they have no chance of getting. Go west, northwest, north, and northeast you fuckheads, but stay the fuck out of Baton Rouge and Birmingham. Fucking fuckity fuck. 

This. 

Also of note, there are roughly 3100 P5 RB recruits in Texas in the 2022 class. Go fart-huff some fucking DL if you're need an OOS fix. 

Are they actually spending a lot of effort on guys like that or just getting free publicity with the offers? Doesn't seem like previous staffs where they withheld offers, seems like we're splashing them around pretty liberally by comparison. I honestly don't know so I'm still in optimistic mode. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

If you really want to punish people, just make them listen to the entire podcast from start to finish.

Good idea.

Then make them pass a test with questions about the podcast so you know they in fact did listen.  

Edited by Laga4

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Are they actually spending a lot of effort on guys like that or just getting free publicity with the offers? Doesn't seem like previous staffs where they withheld offers, seems like were splashing them around pretty liberally by comparison. I honestly don't know so I'm still in optimistic mode. 

It's the Alabama model.

1. Offer the best players.

2. See who's serious about building a relationship with you.

3. ??

4. Profit.

The previous staff had steps 1 & 2 mixed up.

I've read way too many comments from the past where some top recruit in Kentucky or somewhere else, including Baton Rouge, lamented not getting an offer from Texas and wondering if he might have considered coming had an offer been made. Shooting out an offer costs nothing, and if the staff doesn't see any real earnest interest, then they won't need to waste time on it. I like the new strategy.

• Hook 'Em 8

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I've read way too many comments from the past where some top recruit in Kentucky or somewhere else, including Baton Rouge, lamented not getting an offer from Texas and wondering if he might have considered coming had an offer been made. Shooting out an offer costs nothing, and if the staff doesn't see any real earnest interest, then they won't need to waste time on it. I like the new strategy.

I understand the idea here but I'm not a buyer in the Alabama model - with a deluge of carpet bombed offers to attend a camp and get an offer. Not because it doesn't work for Bama but because Texas simply isn't going to commit at the level that Bama does. I just don't believe it. Every guy coming from the Saban system says "we are going to do it the Bama way. We are going to build out the same type of team." Not one has done it. Kirby took over much of what Richt already had in place and then when he couldn't replicate the entire Bama org just haphazardly started dropping bags and he's the success story in the scenario. 

Saban can throw down that many offers because he has that many people working on evals and on communication with these players. Sure, an offer costs nothing but keeping that line of communication open? That takes staff energy, time, and resources. It takes a tremendous amount of work to continue these type of recruitments and to keep the water simmered but bot boiled. Saban simply throws more manpower at the problem because Alabama is willing to do that. They are willing to employ far more people, including skilled experienced (Read: expensive) people. Oregon fucked around and found out. Other teams have tried and failed as well. 

I think Clemson's style and staff is the better, more reproducible model. Clemson does a fantastic job with evaluations, they do not carpet bomb but they will put an emphasis on a position group and put 15-20 offers out in a group when they see similar evals and then it's first come, first served. They also do a fantastic job at getting out of recruitments. They don't ignore the signs and waste time/effort/experience on a recruit that is unlikely to sign there (maximizing that ROI) and they do an incredible job of determining when to drop the recruit from their end. See the Brockermeyers, they didn't feel like James was worthy of a scholarship, nor that Tommy was worth two and didn't talk around the problem, nor did they stay invested (even in Tommy) once they had made their decision "just in case they change their mind." They trust the evals from non-coaches like Batson. Texas was already on the road to building a system like that and could very well elevate their personnel dept to follow that model and it much more attainable and tenable, imo. Each time you find a great evaluator at a lesser school - you steal him. Your people will grow and move to new bigger roles, so you ensure that you have a few more people than you have need. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

All that's left to do is start dropping bags through one of the 15 churches around campus. Then, get with Whittington's brother to secure an unlimited supply of steroids. 

Well, I was talking more their model for evaluation and offering.

Closing (re: church bags) and development (re: steroid/high/deer antler spray) — we could deviate from their path and look at the Bama model there. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting