Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

There’s movement behind the scenes with getting Harris to hold off. I don’t know what it is exactly, but perhaps Guilbeau got wind of it through Fat Pat. Just speculation since TCU negative recruits the shit out of us.

That will be hilarious when TCU is dominating the Mountain West again. Or was it the WAC?

IT - Hits, misses, and wait and see

I’m not high on the class because the most important needs haven’t been addressed. I’m not down on the class because there’s still a lot of clock left and Steve Sarkisian still has three time outs.

Here are the hits, misses, and wait-and-see prospects in the 2022 class.

Quarterback
Hit: Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra
Miss: I can’t think of any and neither can you
WaS: Not applicable at this time

Comment: The personnel department should be evaluating after-market recruits, i.e., JUCO and any potential grad transfers in the event Texas experiences a transfer after the season. Staff focus will remain on Arch Manning.

Running Back
Hit: Jaydon Blue, (Klein Cain); Jamarion Miller (Tyler Legacy)
Misses: DeAnthony Gatson (Newton/USC, since de-committed); TreVonte’ Citizen (Lake Charles College Prep/LSU)
WaS: N/A

Comment: This position is as healthy as it’s been in a long, long time. The focus should be landing one stud in the 2023 class.

Wide Receiver
Hit: Armani Winfield (Lewisville)
Misses: Jordan Hudson (Garland/OU then SMU); Tetairoa McMillan (Servite/Oregon); Chris Marshall (Fort Bend Marshall); CJ Williams (Mater Dei/Notre Dame)
WaS: Evan Stewart (Frisco Liberty); Brenen Thompson (Spearman); Shazz Preston (St. James); Kevin Coleman (St. Mary’s)

Comment: Stay on Hudson and the wait-and-sees while scouting contingency plans. Texas needs to protect itself from misses while not jumping too soon. Easier said than done. A player like Matthew Golden (Klein Cain) would have offered a lot of protection in the class. Given roster needs there isn’t much margin for error.

Tight End
Hit: N/A
Misses: Jason Llewellyn (Aledo/OU)
WaS: Jaleel Skinner (IMG); Arlis Boardingham (Birmingham)

Comment: All in on Skinner. The position is more luxury than need after landing three promising tight ends in 2021.

Offensive Line
Hit: Cole Hutson (Frisco); Conner Robertson (Austin Westlake)
Misses: Kelvin Banks (Summer Creek/Oregon); Cameron Williams (Duncanville/Oregon)
WaS: Devon Campbell (Arlington Bowie); Kameron Dewberry (Atascocita); Neto Umeozulu (Allen); Earnest Greene (St. John Bosco)

Comment: Hutson and Robertson are both good but now Texas needs tackles and an infusion of elite athleticism in a major way. They’ll stay on Banks but if they can’t flip him they really, really need Dewberry. They truly need both. Campbell is the most likely five-star to end up in the class. Flood has to close him out.

Defensive Line
Hit: Kristopher Ross (North Shore); Zac Swanson (Brophy Prep); Anthony Jones (Liberty); Derrick Brown (Texas High); Jaray Bledsoe (Marlin); Aaron Bryant (Southaven); Tapp (Ascension Catholic); Justice Finkley (Hewitt-Trussville)
Misses: Bear Alexander (Fort Worth Brewer); Keahnist Thompson (Lakeland)
WaS: Omari Abor (Duncanville); Quency Wiggins (Madison Prep)

Comment: Remember the little Keahnist Thompson meltdown? Texas ended up doing just fine. Bo Davis and Pete Kwiatkowski are still recruiting players in the event there’s class attrition or if the player is just too good to pass up.

Linebacker
Hit: Trevell Johnson (Arlington Martin); Eoghan Kerry (Mater Dei)
Misses: Sebastian Cheeks (Evanston Township/UNC); Kip Lewis (Carthage/OU); Jeremy Patton (Tenaha/Baylor); Niuafe Tuihalamaka (Bishop Alemany/Notre Dame); Ish Harris (Pilot Point/A&M)
WaS: Harold Perkins (Cy-Park); Lander Barton (Brighton)

Comment: Perkins is a numbers buster, you take him even if you’re full. I haven’t seen anything yet to suggest Texas can land him. Barton will be difficult to pry away from Utah. Texas is in heavy evaluation mode at linebacker.

Cornerback
Hit: Austin Jordan (Denton Ryan); Champ Lewis (Warren Easton)
Misses: Terrance Brooks (Little Elm/Ohio State); Bryce Anderson (Beaumont West Brook/A&M); Xavion Brice (Arlington Seguin/OU)
WaS: Denver Harris (North Shore); Jaylon Guilbeau (Port Arthur Memorial); Kendrick Law (Captain Shreve)

Comment: The staff is still recruiting Brooks and Anderson. The story at corner is there’s a lot of positional ambiguity and I’m not sure Jordan, Lewis, or Guilbeau if he ended up in the class, would play corner long-term. Texas will have plenty of nickel/safety options, though. Denver Harris is the biggest need in the class after Evan Stewart.

Safety
Hit: Bryan Allen Jr (Aledo)
Misses: Landon Hullaby (Mansfield Timberview)
WaS: Jacoby Mathews (Ponchatoula); Larry Turner-Gooden (St. Bernard)

Comment: Given the make-up of the class, Texas would be okay signing Allen, but roster numbers are a bit thin and some of the other signees might not be safeties early in their career.

Texas also addressed needs on special teams with kicker Will Stone (Austin Regents School) and Lance St. Louis (Williams Field). You’ll ask if their scholarships are of the traditional variety, I will say I’m not entirely sure but don’t worry about numbers.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby essentially confirming the Brenen Thompson silent to Texas by writing his daily blurb about him and saying if he had a CB he'd put it on Texas.

Gerry also saying good things about Thompson - but also confirming that it looks like it is going to be TCU for Guilbeau.

Thompson being a silent is about as meaningful as satya saying he’ll try to be more optimistic considering Brenan will be at A&M for the Bama game in a couple weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Thompson being a silent is about as meaningful as satya saying he’ll try to be more optimistic considering Brenan will be at A&M for the Bama game in a couple weeks. 

Especially still visiting Aggie on the 9th, I wouldn’t count him as anything until he goes public. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This thread is bipolar as hell lol. One week the sky is falling and the next we gettin errbody. I think if Texas can just find a way to get to 9 or 10 wins and/or a visit to Arlington recruiting will be just fine. 

Not sure what you’ve been reading, but this thread hasn’t been errrbody in a looooong fucking time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not sure what you’ve been reading, but this thread hasn’t been errrbody in a looooong fucking time. 

Slight exaggeration on my part but there was a lot of dread and hopelessness, then Tapp and Finkley popped and many saw that their despair was probably unfounded, yet we keep doing the same thing over and over again. I follow recruiting so I get it but its still illogical but that is what makes it so fun lol. Texas will definitely sign a good OL class. Last year was such an anomaly but we are all scarred from it haha

Edit: Missing on studs like Stewart, Brooks Banks, and Harris is never a good thing and always a cause for concern. We aint back until those guys start coming to Austin so I get it.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

To be fair, this place was pretty fucking buoyant coming off of the ULALA win. It all changed when the Cajuns' hillbilly neighbors to the north won the Superbowl.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Slight exaggeration on my part but there was a lot of dread and hopelessness, then Tapp and Finkley popped and many saw that their despair was probably unfounded, yet we keep doing the same thing over and over again. I follow recruiting so I get it but its still illogical but that is what makes it so fun lol. Texas will definitely sign a good OL class. Last year was such an anomaly but we are all scarred from it haha

These are two highly conflicting statements.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

These are two highly conflicting statements.

Brother, I trust the staff and I think they will get it right. There is so much talent in this state and I just think the evals are a little slow rn. If we can add Neto, Williams Campbell and a late bloomer at Tackle thats a damn good OL haul and its realistic that it could happen. 

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry confirms the OV - says it will be Oct 16th.  That weekend is setting up to be a huge recruiting weekend for Texas.  Hudson, Earnest Greene, Larry Turner-Gooden, and Arch will all be in town that weekend.

https://247sports.com/Player/Earnest-Greene-46080544/

https://247sports.com/Player/Larry-Turner-Gooden-46056208/

https://247sports.com/player/arch-manning-46080533/

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That's the best possible outcome at this point. 

This staff has been impressive to me with less than a year recruiting for Texas and with A&M getting national hype combined with all of the issues that we've had with the revolving door of coaches, underdevelopment and bad press with the school song. I know its been said far too much, but if they can just find a way to get to 9 we can get this thing flipped. 

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So this is def the flip candidate IT has been talking about right?

Gerry just put out an article on flip candidates.  Hudson was the first mentioned - but also mentioned were Will Campbell, Terrance Brooks, Bryce Anderson, Kelvin Banks, and Cameron Williams.

https://247sports.com/player/will-campbell-46085724/

https://247sports.com/player/terrance-brooks-46099495/

https://247sports.com/player/bryce-anderson-46058493/

https://247sports.com/player/kelvin-banks-46082828/

https://247sports.com/player/cameron-williams-46085065/

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry just put out an article on flip candidates.  Hudson was the first mentioned - but also mentioned were Will Campbell, Terrance Brooks, Bryce Anderson, Kelvin Banks, and Cameron Williams.

Will Campbell? Without reading it, that sounds..wildly optimistic. Any reason to think we'd be a player even if he opened it up?

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No Quinn?

😢

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Will Campbell? Without reading it, that sounds..wildly optimistic. Any reason to think we'd be a player even if he opened it up?

nothing was said other than we had a staff member by to look at him yesterday along with 2023 OT/DL Zalance Heard, and TCU verbal Ajay Allen, among others. But we do seem to do well in Louisiana and we certainly don't have any competition to scare him away.

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How do we feel of a potential receiver haul if Winfield(if he sticks), Coleman, Hudson, Thompson?

That would be a terrific haul.. I actually like Winfield since seeing him in the spring/summer camps.  Hudson is a stud, immediate spark plug the day he steps foot on campus.  Can't teach Brennan's speed.  Not sure about Coleman though, but he can't be worse than Washington or Woodard, right?

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

That would be a terrific haul.. I actually like Winfield since seeing him in the spring/summer camps.  Hudson is a stud, immediate spark plug the day he steps foot on campus.  Can't teach Brennan's speed.  Not sure about Coleman though, but he can't be worse than Washington or Woodard, right?

64843DAE-E486-414B-8CC2-65BBDB640461.thumb.png.71dfcf35012d116b6bc6fd5845d95b84.png

2 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

supposedly Bama saw him in their camp and said nop.  i just want players like Worthy who got that dawg mentality.

He didn't camp at Bama. I believe he wanted to commit and Bama wouldn't allow him to without coming in to their camp. They both went in different directions after. He was likely going to FSU before their collapse.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This staff has been impressive to me with less than a year recruiting for Texas and with A&M getting national hype combined with all of the issues that we've had with the revolving door of coaches, underdevelopment and bad press with the school song. I know its been said far too much, but if they can just find a way to get to 9 we can get this thing flipped. 

I'm not sure you do follow recruiting. This staff has not been impressive on the trail outside of DL, but even then we have a qualification risk and a guy from LA and and a guy from MS who have the in-state schools that will continue to recruit them for the next few years. I'd say odds at least one DL who is currently committed doesn't end up enrolling here. 

58 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How do we feel of a potential receiver haul if Winfield(if he sticks), Coleman, Hudson, Thompson?

It would be decent but not great.  The foot issue thing for Thompson is a concern, Coleman is very overrated by the recruiting services, and Hudson would be on his third commitment if he ends up with us which is always a red flag.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm not sure you do follow recruiting. This staff has not been impressive on the trail outside of DL, but even then we have a qualification risk and a guy from LA and and a guy from MS who have the in-state schools that will continue to recruit them for the next few years. I'd say odds at least one DL who is currently committed doesn't end up enrolling here. 

It would be decent but not great.  The foot issue thing for Thompson is a concern, Coleman is very overrated by the recruiting services, and Hudson would be on his third commitment if he ends up with us which is always a red flag.

I bet you are fun at parties. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

outside of DL, but even then we have a qualification risk and a guy from LA and and a guy from MS who have the in-state schools that will continue to recruit them for the next few years. I'd say odds at least one DL who is currently committed doesn't end up enrolling here. 

Let's put the miserable bastard syndrome aside and leave the one gotdamn good thing we've got going in recruiting alone.  Obviously there's a decent chance we see one of these guys scoot before signing day, as a lot of us have already excepted, but FFS maybe just enjoy DL recruiting for now.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, mantis toboggan said:

I bet you are fun at parties. 

I find this pretty funny considering you're like one rung down from satya on this board.

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Let's put the miserable bastard syndrome aside and leave the one gotdamn good thing we've got going in recruiting alone.  Obviously there's a decent chance we see one of these guys scoot before signing day, as a lot of us have already excepted, but FFS maybe just enjoy DL recruiting for now.

Sorry @UncleBuck. I will try harder to accommodate your fragile sensibilities moving forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thompson and Hudson alone would make this a good class. Both are studs. If you threw Coleman on top that would be fantastic. The thing is if we can get Coleman, we have a decent shot of getting Stewart instead. These kids know what Sark does offensively. Thats not the issue. There's only one way to get a class full of studs. This staff can recruit, but its meaningless with other schools being as competitive as they are on the trail. All we have to do is match their competitiveness and we can easily sign a top 3 class. If we cant compete with them, we'll be lucky to crack the top 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting