2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

High School Football related... 

https://footballscoop.com/news/one-of-the-top-high-school-jobs-in-the-country-just-opened

One of the top high school jobs in the country just opened

Hoover HS (AL) head coach Josh Niblett has resigned and is reportedly on the move.

DEC 10, 2021        DOUG SAMUELS

They've had their own hit TV show and check the box as a state and national football powerhouse.   Now they're appear to be in the market for a new head coach.  According to multiple reports this morning, Hoover HS (AL) head coach Josh Niblett has stepped down.

He compiled an impressive 6 state titles and amassed a record of 171-26 during his time with the program.

One would think that type of success would mean he's joining a staff of a college program in-state like Troy or Jacksonville State, who both just hired new head coaches recently.

However, Hoover's official football account shares that Niblett is heading to the Georgia high school ranks for his next job. 

Sources tell FootballScoop that Niblett is set to become the new head coach at Gainesville HS 

The type of money that Georgia is committing to high school coaches have made the state a destination for some of the top coaches from surrounding state

As of 2019, they had 44 coaches in-state making $100,000 or more. That figure has been rapidly climbing in recent years, as the number of coaches making six figures in 2015 was just 17.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The plucky overachieving boys from Westlake capitalized on some favorable officiating and pulled a massive upset, 45-14.  Klubnik had 300+ and 5 TDs IIRC.

Hey, @Fletch, if the Chaps can somehow pull off the miracle upset next weekend and beat heavily favored Denton Guyer, where do you think my wife should display her second state championship ring? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Just won state in roundball, too. Something in the water apparently. 

Fun fact: Their starting point guard last year was Juan Reyna, star basketball player from San Antonio that magically moved to Duncanville for his last 2 years of high school. I imagine there are similar stories on the football team. I know their current starting QB played at Corsicana before this year. But I guess if Allen & Aledo are going to recruit everyone why can’t Dville. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Fun fact: Their starting point guard last year was Juan Reyna, star basketball player from San Antonio that magically moved to Duncanville for his last 2 years of high school. I imagine there are similar stories on the football team. I know their current starting QB played at Corsicana before this year. But I guess if Allen & Aledo are going to recruit everyone why can’t Dville. 

Aledo better call their A Team to get their act together.  

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

That QB is probably the weak link on the team though, think he only has NAIA offers.

Duncanville basketball is a whole different beast though. In football they stay pretty much within the South Dallas area and the talent gets split among the other really good programs in the immediate vicinity, Desoto, Cedar Hill, SOC, Lancaster etc. In basketball, they’ve entered a different stratosphere. They aren’t nationally recruiting much, but they definitely recruit throughout the state. And they’re #1 in country type good. 

UIL is already going after them though, this type of blatant recruiting is usually only allowed for the richer burbs.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

UIL is already going after them though, this type of blatant recruiting is usually only allowed for the richer burbs.

Recruiting in richer suburbs? As it should be.

Joking aside, what is often called “recruiting” truly isn’t. Families will often move into school districts because they rightly know it can greatly improve their chances of getting a scholarship. While UIL officially prohibits transfers done solely for sports, it is extremely difficult to enforce it. One exception which was blatant recruiting happened years ago at Westlake. A doctor wanted to help get a kid out of the Chicago ghetto. (The fact that the young man was 6’5”, 300 lbs. and really strong was purely a coincidence.) The kid wasn't allowed to play, but the story had a happy ending as the kid got to finish his education at Westlake and get to college.

Another story is a crazy dad who tried to set up a Samoan pipeline at an Austin private school. Was it Hyde Park Baptist Church? The scam got shut down and I believe the coach may have been fired. 

You can’t really prohibit people from trying to improve their situation. Staying at a dead-end program with bad coaching makes no sense, provided you have the opportunity to improve your lot. There is no point in being “loyal” when it is detrimental to your future. 

I exclude the Mater Deis, IMG’s and horrific basketball “academies” from this discussion. They use the European model and I have no problem with it, although I think they should be excluded from playoffs. I believe IMG is prohibited in Florida but someone can confirm.

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Joking aside, what is often called “recruiting” truly isn’t. Families will often move into school districts because they rightly know it can greatly improve their chances of getting a scholarship. While UIL officially prohibits transfers done solely for sports, it is extremely difficult to enforce it. One exception which was blatant recruiting happened years ago at Westlake. A doctor wanted to help get a kid out of the Chicago ghetto. (The fact that the young man was 6’5”, 300 lbs and really strong was purely a coincidence.) The story had a happy ending as the kid got to finish his education at Westlake and get to college.

Another story is a crazy dad who tried to set up a Samoan pipeline at an Austin private school-Hyde Park Baptist Church? The scam got shut down and I believe the coach may have been fired. 

You can’t really prohibit people from trying to improve their situation. Staying at a dead-end program with bad coaching makes no sense, provided you have the opportunity to improve your lot. There is no point in being “loyal” when it is detrimental to your future. 

I exclude the Mater Deis, IMG’s and horrific basketball “academies” from this discussion. They use the European model and I have no problem with it, although I think they should be excluded from playoffs. I believe IMG is prohibited in Florida but someone can confirm.

I have to say the private school associations in Texas have done a decent job policing their schools and not allowing them to become academies. Cornerstone in San Antonio started going this route and TAPPS kicked them out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Joking aside, what is often called “recruiting” truly isn’t. Families will often move into school districts because they rightly know it can greatly improve their chances of getting a scholarship. While UIL officially prohibits transfers done solely for sports, it is extremely difficult to enforce it. One exception which was blatant recruiting happened years ago at Westlake. A doctor wanted to help get a kid out of the Chicago ghetto. (The fact that the young man was 6’5”, 300 lbs and really strong was purely a coincidence.) The story had a happy ending as the kid got to finish his education at Westlake and get to college.

Another story is a crazy dad who tried to set up a Samoan pipeline at an Austin private school-Hyde Park Baptist Church? The scam got shut down and I believe the coach may have been fired. 

For sure. One of the things that happens is if a kid has parents with money, they can just afford to move to a district with better athletics and thats it. But a kid from a poor family can’t afford to just up and move so he gets helped by a school or a third party, and then they get busted because that breaks the rules. This happens in DISD basketball all the time. 

That’s a class issue more than a UIL one

But I also know of kids who can’t afford to move and get helped by richer surburban schools and nothing happens because the UIL just doesn’t snoop around them as much as they do city schools.

• Hook 'Em 2

Really hope this is the year Samples can finally get over the hump. He has lost 2 state championships in about as heartbreaking fashion as you can get on the very last play at 2 different schools. This does not even take into account some heartbreaking losses at Dallas Skyline in the semis. Blowing huge leads so SLC in 2011 and against Allen in 2014. And in 2019, he loses his star QB in the semis and a freshman has to start against North Shore and they damn near pulled it off.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Joking aside, what is often called “recruiting” truly isn’t.

LO-freaking L

It happens and it happens a lot.

Katy.  The Woodlands. Etc.Etc.  if your kid is a standout in 7th and 8th grade, they are being "invited" to change schools within the school district.  It's just amazing how so many great players just happen to end up on teams even though they didn't grow up there.  Many times the family never has to move or change residence.

It is straight up recruiting.  and it isn't difficult to see.  The UIL just doesn't want to see it.  Approve those transfers, dammit!!!

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

LO-freaking L

Katy.  The Woodlands. Etc.Etc.  if your kid is a standout in 7th and 8th grade, they are being "invited" to change schools within the school district.  It's just amazing how so many great players just happen to end up on teams even though they didn't grow up there.  Many times the family never has to move or change residence.

It is straight up recruiting.  and it isn't difficult to see.  The UIL just doesn't want to see it.  Approve those transfers, dammit!!!

If an ISD has open enrollment it makes it even harder to prove.  

Speaking of Katy and Katy High….  I wonder how they are taking it this week after watching the  new kid in their ISD punch their ticket to state and less than 24 hours later get their own  rears kicked?  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

LO-freaking L

I agree that Katy is in a special category of tawdriness, as they even had a kid transfer in after his team lost in the playoffs and they played him the next week! But here in Austin, LT and Westlake have kids who transfer into the district cause they want to improve their chances at playing in college. Caleb Burton comes to mind. LT has the advantage cause they have lots of apartments/townhomes, that make it easier for families with less means to be able to find an affordable home.   

Edited by TreatyOak

19 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Hey, @Fletch, if the Chaps can somehow pull off the miracle upset next weekend and beat heavily favored Denton Guyer, where do you think my wife should display her second state championship ring? 

This Westlake team might be the best high school team I have ever seen.

Klubnik is an aboslute stud QB.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If an ISD has open enrollment it makes it even harder to prove.  

Speaking of Katy and Katy High….  I wonder how they are taking it this week after watching the  new kid in their ISD punch their ticket to state and less than 24 hours later get their own  rears kicked?  

What?

12 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Katy Paetow beat CC Flour Bluff 73-14 to move on to the state final. Katy got fuck stomped by Westlake.

They are a new school and in 5a this year due to not having a full school. They will be 6a next year. 

Paetow actually had seniors last year also. It pretty clear that whoever did the projections misunderestimated what their numbers would be. They were only off by about 33%, I'm sure it was all just a simple mistake  Yeah Right Flirt GIF by Originals

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Katy Paetow beat CC Flour Bluff 73-14 to move on to the state final. Katy got fuck stomped by Westlake.

They are a new school and in 5a this year due to not having a full school. They will be 6a next year. 

Technically they had 6A numbers last year and started this year with 3100 students which would make them a solid 6A and then some..  When they took the numbers in their second or third year of existence for this current set up in 2019, they turned in right under 2100 which was a 100 and some change from 6A.

This is a flaw in the realignment system which the UIL needs to address with the growth in the state and more new schools coming on line.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Paetow actually had seniors last year also. It pretty clear that whoever did the projections misunderestimated what their numbers would be. They were only off by about 33%, I'm sure it was all just a simple mistake  Yeah Right Flirt GIF by Originals

They straight out submitted what their enrollment  was in Oct 2019 for this current district alignment.  But that's the flaw when it comes to brand new schools and schools like Manvel, Shadow Creek, George Ranch, among a few others took advantage of it and made statement seasons early in the lower class before being bumped up to where they really belonged during those seasons.

Really if a new school come online, the UIL should go off the demographic study the ISD used to justify building that campus and if they are opening it by class with incoming Freshmen each year  and each class matches or comes within the ball park of that estimate, the school should be placed in UIL Classification that will match it once it's at full capacity within a particular realignment period.  

16 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

To be fair, and some of the high growth areas schools can fill up in a year or two. When Our kids were little, they opened an elementary school in our neighborhood in South Montgomery County. By the spring semester, we already had portable classrooms to make room for all the kids. It was crazy.

that same group of kids was the first class with over 1000 in it at Oak Ridge High, before Grand Oaks came online. The growth is just crazy at times.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I agree that Katy is in a special category of tawdriness, as they even had a kid transfer in after his team lost in the playoffs and they played him the next week! But here in Austin, LT and Westlake have kids who transfer into the district cause they want to improve their chances at playing in college. Caleb Burton comes to mind. LT has the advantage cause they have lots of apartments/townhomes, that make it easier for families with less means to be able to find an affordable home.   

From observing a high school classmate of mine who lives in Cinco Ranch area, I could tell there is no love between Katy High and the rest of the Katy ISD.  She was very vocal against  a bond issue a few years back when they first voted down their new stadium and the soccer moms and others in the ISD claws would come out on the Facebook postings she posted.   LOL it was great reading!

On that transfer kid thing.... I thought the UIL had rules about having to sit out a period of time and even then, it was not automatic and the school from where the kid transferred from could protest.   Or another school in the district could do the same?  We had a kid do the same thing back in October a couple of weeks before we played his new school (and he played in the game)  and I ask the Booster Club President who pointed it out to me how they got by with it and he didn't know nor did our staff know..   Did Covid reset a bunch of rules no one knows about?

11 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Technically they had 6A numbers last year and started this year with 3100 students which would make them a solid 6A and then some..  When they took the numbers in their second or third year of existence for this current set up in 2019, they turned in right under 2100 which was a 100 and some change from 6A.

Exactly my point.  If your enrollment is already a class above what you just got put in, and then for the second year you're over by 1000, that's a huge error. Very suspect 

Just now, Dennis Taylor said:

Exactly my point.  If your enrollment is already a class above what you just got put in, and then for the second year you're over by 1000, that's a huge error. Very suspect 

Yep..  The other thing the UIL could do is a mid realignment adjustment..   But that would jack with everyone's non district schedule which in turn would have a domino effect.  

When a new school is built and they notify the UIL they will be participating in athletics,  they should have to submit their official estimates from the demographer and if it says in Sept 2020,  X school will have and estimated 2200 students enrolled ..  Then 6A you go.   And this is where Paetow was at last fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

From observing a high school classmate of mine who lives in Cinco Ranch area, I could tell there is no love between Katy High and the rest of the Katy ISD.  She was very vocal against  a bond issue a few years back when they first voted down their new stadium and the soccer moms and others in the ISD claws would come out on the Facebook postings she posted.   LOL it was great reading!

On that transfer kid thing.... I thought the UIL had rules about having to sit out a period of time and even then, it was not automatic and the school from where the kid transferred from could protest.   Or another school in the district could do the same?  We had a kid do the same thing back in October a couple of weeks before we played his new school (and he played in the game)  and I ask the Booster Club President who pointed it out to me how they got by with it and he didn't know nor did our staff know..   Did Covid reset a bunch of rules no one knows about?

I am not sure but when it as uncovered by another school that Katy played a kid on their team in the playoffs less than a week after his team lost in the playoffs, they observed some stupid fake penalty and the UIL didn't even make a fuss. Unreal. 

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I am not sure but when it as uncovered by another school that Katy played a kid on their team in the playoffs less than a week after his team lost in the playoffs, they observed some stupid fake penalty and the UIL didn't even make a fuss. Unreal. 

I hate the say it, but the UIL has gone almost the same road as the NCAA here with some of their decisions.   

It's about the Benjamins now...   Some might disagree with me, but I can't stand the fact the UIL has practically ceded the State Championships to Jerryworld from here until Jerry's Grandson takes over and in 30 years decides to build a new Stadium in Melissa or Celina because Arlington has finally lost it's shine... LOL   

There is zero reason why this thing can't rotated to the three indoor stadiums in the state or even two of them if Houston doesn't want to participate.  The thing they use is the TV contract and Fox Sports now Bally won't broadcast them all...  Not sure in the universe the media is in today with streaming and easier TV  production capabilities if this is still valid?   BTW it's downright dirty shame some of the teams have their games of fricken Wednesday this week which for some of their fans make it impossible to attend in person...  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

Katy Paetow, a newer school in the district is in the 5AD1 state title game.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Thanks.  I did not realize Katy had a new school that was in 5A this year.  It seems like there is a new Katy high school every other year at this point.

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Some might disagree with me, but I can't stand the fact the UIL has practically ceded the State Championships to Jerryworld from here until Jerry's Grandson takes over and in 30 years decides to build a new Stadium in Melissa or Celina because Arlington has finally lost it's shine... LOL   

There is zero reason why this thing can't rotated to the three indoor stadiums in the state or even two of them if Houston doesn't want to participate.  The thing they use is the TV contract and Fox Sports now Bally won't broadcast them all...  Not sure in the universe the media is in today with streaming and easier TV  production capabilities if this is still valid?   BTW it's downright dirty shame some of the teams have their games of fricken Wednesday this week which for some of their fans make it impossible to attend in person...  

frustrated the missing GIF by STARZ

DCTF had this question as part of its coaches' survey last year -- Texas HS football coaches overwhelmingly want the state championships played at Jerryworld, no rotation.  And if you count the butts in the seats as vote, fans want it that way, too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

frustrated the missing GIF by STARZ

DCTF had this question as part of its coaches' survey last year -- Texas HS football coaches overwhelmingly want the state championships played at Jerryworld, no rotation.  And if you count the butts in the seats as vote, fans want it that way, too.  

To add to it the one year they had it at reliant they had no where close to the same turnout or revenue

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

NRG and the Alamo Dome are dumps compared to Jerryworld. Kids want to play in the premier facility in the state. 

Yea I know Houston was not a good experience when they hosted it.   And yes I get the kids want to play there...  But adults make the decisions and if I'm a Houston/Austin/ or San Antonio area Coach/AD/Superintendent , I'd like travel to equalize this thing out once in awhile.     Thing here is logistics and the DFW area teams always getting to play closer to their home meaning they get an extra prep day while others have to travel...  Once in a while it needs to be flipped so those teams have to do the same.

I get the glamour.. When my boy participated in 2016 it was damn cool to go up there save the never ending construction project around Waco on I-35.   Cost us probably $500 when all was said and done too...

With UTSA now making it's move on the state college map,  getting the SA business community to embrace it might be easier to get the needed locker rooms for the dome which is one of the stumbling blocks from what I understand.  I mean come on man, both of those stadiums are just fine for high school state title games compared to what other states play there games in.   

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yea I know Houston was not a good experience when they hosted it.   And yes I get the kids want to play there...  But adults make the decisions and if I'm a Houston/Austin/ or San Antonio area Coach/AD/Superintendent , I'd like travel to equalize this thing out once in awhile.     Thing here is logistics and the DFW area teams always getting to play closer to their home meaning they get an extra prep day while others have to travel...  Once in a while it needs to be flipped so those teams have to do the same.

I get the glamour.. When my boy participated in 2016 it was damn cool to go up there save the never ending construction project around Waco on I-35.   Cost us probably $500 when all was said and done too...

With UTSA now making it's move on the state college map,  getting the SA business community to embrace it might be easier to get the needed locker rooms for the dome which is one of the stumbling blocks from what I understand.  I mean come on man, both of those stadiums are just fine for high school state title games compared to what other states play there games in.   

The adults did make the decision already once they saw they lost a fuck ton of revenue and attendance went down signifcantly.