2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

NRG was also charging the UIL something like $500K/day.  Jerry was charging about $150K/day.

That's ridiculous although we know Jerry makes it up somewhere....   

TV revenue will be the same where ever the game takes place.

I'd still like to see SA give it a try.   Yes it's not the glamour of Jerry World and all that..  But for the traveling fans and at this time of year it's a good mini trip and much  close by to the venue along with places to stay.  

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

NRG was also charging the UIL something like $500K/day.  Jerry was charging about $150K/day.

This is the biggest reason the games aren’t moving IMO. Jerry Jones is shockingly generous when it comes to TXHSFB games. I think he just likes the idea of having them there.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is the biggest reason the games aren’t moving IMO. Jerry Jones is shockingly generous when it comes to TXHSFB games. I think he just likes the idea of having them there.

When he hosted HS graduations there last year so people could come and still be distanced, I believe he said it costs $150k a day to “turn the lights on.”   So he’s doing it at cost.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So a high school coach retiring is MASSIVE news?

Well when it was described as such by a high school football reporter and posted on a high school football thread and the retiring coach is the winningest coach in the history of Texas high school football then yes, that is massive news.

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That's ridiculous although we know Jerry makes it up somewhere....   

TV revenue will be the same where ever the game takes place.

I'd still like to see SA give it a try.   Yes it's not the glamour of Jerry World and all that..  But for the traveling fans and at this time of year it's a good mini trip and much  close by to the venue along with places to stay.  

I fucking hate the Alamodome sooooo much.  $15 to park no matter what round, understaffed ticket sales booths.  $5 for a bottled soft drink, and they're all Pepsi products (FUCK THAT!!!) 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I fucking hate the Alamodome sooooo much.  $15 to park no matter what round, understaffed ticket sales booths.  $5 for a bottled soft drink, and they're all Pepsi products (FUCK THAT!!!) 

Same as Jerry world....   Ok it might have cost $10 to park.....   But Pepsi crap as well...  And $12 hot dogs...

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

What a newb. I haven’t been in years, but my dad and I would always park behind that bar on commerce & hoefgan or whatever. Totally free & no one ever said anything. There’s also $3 all day parking under I-37 & houston, $5 all day on weekends. Easy walk to the dome and really anywhere else in downtown. I exclusively park there unless it’s tuesdays when the garages are free.

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

NRG and the Alamo Dome are dumps compared to Jerryworld. Kids want to play in the premier facility in the state. 

Exactly. The players want to play there, the coaches want the games there and overall it’s a pretty awesome experience for them to get to play in that palace. All of the title games should be there every single year.

7 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I agree that Katy is in a special category of tawdriness, as they even had a kid transfer in after his team lost in the playoffs and they played him the next week! But here in Austin, LT and Westlake have kids who transfer into the district cause they want to improve their chances at playing in college. Caleb Burton comes to mind. LT has the advantage cause they have lots of apartments/townhomes, that make it easier for families with less means to be able to find an affordable home.   

I don’t care to live in the past,  and know our society is much more mobile than the years past,  but I don’t know why the old transfer rule wouldn’t work. If you transfer you sit a year. No appeal,  no hardship,  just sit a year.  I know it would hurt some,  but that’s life.

I guess the old rule was replaced because of lawsuits?  But it sure seems like a simple solution to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I don’t care to live in the past,  and know our society is much more mobile than the years past,  but I don’t know why the old transfer rule wouldn’t work. If you transfer you sit a year. No appeal,  no hardship,  just sit a year.  I know it would hurt some,  but that’s life.

I guess the old rule was replaced because of lawsuits?  But it sure seems like a simple solution to me.

If your dad takes a job across town and your parents decide to move so he doesn’t have a 1.5 hour commute every day, you shouldn’t have to sit out a year.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If your dad takes a job across town and your parents decide to move so he doesn’t have a 1.5 hour commute every day, you shouldn’t have to sit out a year.

I know several guys,  including myself that got caught up in the old transfer rule and missed a year.  We all survived.

19 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I think it was mostly replaced because people realized how dumb it was. If your parents move, does a cheerleader, band member, or UIL mathcounts person have to sit out a year at the new school? Why should sports be any different? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I think it was mostly replaced because people realized how dumb it was. If your parents move, does a cheerleader, band member, or UIL mathcounts person have to sit out a year at the new school? Why should sports be any different? 

That's a good point,  but I don't think cheerleading and band have been abused to the point football and basketball have. 

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I thought it was revised  for this very reason, but not allow for it to be used where a kid is playing for you this week and literally next week he's playing against you?   I know we've had kids transfer in at the start of the school year, like maybe a week or two and they had to get clearance from the District Executive Committee that  transfer was not for athletic purposes.   Didn't matter if they moved from out of state or down the road, they had to sit and get clearance.

But yes when I was in school it was the whole dang year which was stupid.  Especially if the kid was a Junior and back then not too many Sophs played varsity anything.  

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

So a high school coach retiring is MASSIVE news?

That's how I felt.

It's big on a personal level, but it ain't like he was 35, just won State and said fuck it.

He's 73 and had a long, illustrious career, but is anyone surprised/ blindsided?

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm starting to put people who still argue that the games should be rotated to Houston and SA on the same level as the Pete-Rose-should-be-in-the-HoF people.

I guess I'm with the "steroids didn't make a shit" people.   I liked it when the smaller schools still played neutral site. Outdoors, with both fanbases having to travel and demonstrate support.

I've come around on JerryWorld.  You and I have debated it in the past, but I am in agreement that it is the right place for the State Championship games.  I am not in the "They need to rotate it" crowd either.

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I am very happy with Jerryworld. Yes, it's far for some teams but that's true of any destination. However, for all of the communities involved, nowhere else can feel so aspirational. With HS football essentially a religion in Texas, AT&T Stadium has a heavenly grandeur that must be the equivalent of how people in the Middle Ages must have felt when they entered an incredible cathedral.

The area around the Alamodome feels slightly post-apocalyptic. The interior has a forlorn and somewhat forgotten feel to it. The good citizens of the Alamo City should create a bond to pay for a facelift. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

With HS football essentially a religion in Texas, AT&T Stadium has a heavenly grandeur that must be the equivalent of how people in the Middle Ages must have felt when they entered an incredible cathedral.

Well that's one way to describe a stale corporate monstrosity. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I really hope they re-think this going forward. this shit is fucking lame. 

Sincerely asking, because i cannot remember a cable/ satellite package that I subscribed to that didn't have Bally or the old FSSW. My current provider is Suddenlink/ Altice.

What's a better alternative, in your estimation?

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Sincerely asking, because i cannot remember a cable/ satellite package that I subscribed to that didn't have Bally or the old FSSW. My current provider is Suddenlink/ Altice.

What's a better alternative, in your estimation?

It has to be on FSSW (or whatever they're calling it now); the problem is that Sinclair Media, which owns over half of the regional sports networks in this country is fucking everyone over, in conjunction with AT&T.  Both of those businesses need to be burned to the fucking ground.

No, AT&T Stadium works for all the reasons mentioned above. It shouldn't move.

And to clarify the above, by stale I mean boring. It's a boring NFL corporate presentation I've seen in dozens of places. Meh. When I go to watch a football game I care about watching the football game. NRG Stadium is far superior for doing that, other than the fact you usually have to watch the Texans if you go there. But if you can find a high school or college game to watch then it's way better. Hell, the Alamodome is better for actually watching the game. Now the concourses, if you can call them that, and access situation make that one pretty bad, but for sightlines and watching the game it's definitely better than Arlington.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, DaysOff said:

All the games should be in Austin at DKR. It's centrally located with fake fucking grass, and contrary to what Vic might think it's a more interesting destination for the fans.

We're not deciding the fucking super bowl. It doesn't have to be inside.

This is what I thought for years.   Considering Texas is a huge state, Austin is about a central as it’s the closest major venue to  the geographic center of the State which is near Brady according to a Google search.  Waco would come in second to being closest to the Geographic center.  With football, it would remove the perception the UIL is being influenced heavily to keep the football championships there because the DFW area schools put the thumb on the scale to keep them there. 

But that ain’t happening.  The UIL has  been decentralizing the the different championships for some time now.    Basketball is now played in SA, but I think that was more due to a conflict with SXSW at first.    Volleyball to fricken Garland for some reason.   Soccer is in Georgetown . Band is in San Antonio.    Baseball/Softball/ and Track is all the remains at the UT campus.  I think many of the academic and other music contests are spread around.  

As a resident of South Texas, I’ll say they need to stretch that venue choice further south and let the RGV or Corpus participate in some of these other sports championships..  How about baseball to Whataburger Field in Corpus?  The RGV has a couple of nice soccer facilities such as the one in Edinburg that houses the Toros which is affiliated with the Houston Dynamo. The one thing DFW fans and some in the media will say to justify football staying in Arlington is their teams are regular participants…Well if that is one of the criteria for hosting championships, the Corpus area can make the same argument for baseball as can the RGV for soccer.   Many programs have the hardware in their trophy cases to prove it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think many of the academic and other music contests are spread around.

The academic state meet was at hub sites because of covid but is normally on the UT campus and is supposed to move back next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well that's one way to describe a stale corporate monstrosity. 

Looked pretty awesome from our seats. I think it represents a pinnacle of sorts and our HS players have said that it is a highlight in their playing career. Aside from the positive emotional associations we have with it,  I think it's pretty spectacular engineering marvel. I would honestly like to know where you think it would be a better place to host all the championships. EDIT: Okay I saw your above post. 

Chaps1.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WBT said:

The academic state meet was at hub sites because of covid but is normally on the UT campus and is supposed to move back next year.

It was always a goal in high school back in my day (1980's) to make to Austin for championships or state meets in whatever save football because we all knew it was a neutral site thing although DKR.... AKA Memorial Stadium was the neutral site for a number of title games.   Austin was the high school version of College Baseball's Omaha..

• Like 1