2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Did you think :

1. Riley went to Westwood?

2. Ucla is that big of a draw for a guy like CW?

3 you has confused?

It's explained above. Gabriel was going to follow Lebby to Ole Miss, but Lebby went to OU, which doesn't need a transfer QB if, and only if, Williams stays.

Him finding another option probably means OU is set at QB because Williams is staying.

Edited by texifornia

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's explained above. Gabriel was going to follow Lebby to Ole Miss, but Lebby went to OU, which doesn't need a transfer QB if, and only if, Williams stays.

Him finding another option probably means OU is set at QB because Williams is staying.

OU is just going to take Casey Thompson in the portal instead. 

(please, god... for the lulz) 

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Couldn't DTR possibly come back for his COVID year? Or is he done?  

He can, but it is highly unlikely.  He's pretty much peaked as far as his potential will take him at the college level and I don't think another year does him any good.  And I think Gabriel will be an improvement.  His tape is pretty impressive.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Moderator said:

I think he has proven that he is not an NFL QB despite being drafted in the 2nd round.  He has been on the practice squad for most of his career and was released from the Titans practice squad last month.  

“Well, if Kelly could that guy drafted, imagine what he could do with me!”

-Brennan, probably

Edited by Darth Tron

56 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

He can, but it is highly unlikely.  He's pretty much peaked as far as his potential will take him at the college level and I don't think another year does him any good.  And I think Gabriel will be an improvement.  His tape is pretty impressive.

How does Garbers Junior take the news?  Or are no fucks given about that.  And is Martin going to enjoy sitting behind Gabriel for a few years?

gotta love QB egos

7 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

How does Garbers Junior take the news?  Or are no fucks given about that.  And is Martin going to enjoy sitting behind Gabriel for a few years?

gotta love QB egos

You can't worry about Garbers.  You take the best QB you can get, and Gabriel is that guy.  Martin had no illusions of coming in as a true frosh and starting.  Earn it.

Chip is a portal whore.  And I'm ok with that.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

That almost certainly means CW is staying at OU.  

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

I've seen this logic elsewhere and obviously hope it's correct, but, as others have alluded to, there are several assumptions that have been made.

A few thoughts on Williams' situation based on logic, a podcast Williams was on that dropped yesterday, and OU's 9.95ers:
- He would never transfer to USC. Per the other players on the podcast, Williams may have legit won the QB job in Spring and Fall camp. Riley stuckwith Rattler. Williams spoke very coolly about Riley abandoning the team and how he did it. USC is a complete mess, especially the OL. The OL coach still hasn't been hired. Just based on how the offense will look next year, why would any QB want that punishment?

- Williams is the unquestioned leader on the team. If he goes somewhere else, he's going to have to recreate that dynamic.

- Where would Williams go right now that is an obviously better situation than OU?
Ohio St and Bama have QBs coming back next year.
A&M runs an outdated offense and will have Max Johnson (Williams >> Johnson).
Georgia is a QB killing ground.
Clemson was awful on offense this year and will have new coordinator who has never called plays next year.
Michigan will have McNamera and McCarthy coming back.

Where am I missing?

Edited by quigley

34 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You can't worry about Garbers.  You take the best QB you can get, and Gabriel is that guy.  Martin had no illusions of coming in as a true frosh and starting.  Earn it.

Chip is a portal whore.  And I'm ok with that.

How many years does Gabriel have?  Saw 3 somewhere, if so, Martin always struck me as wanting to start sooner than that.  Agree on the take though.  You dont pass on Gabriel

Just now, Zhorn96 said:

Agree but he’s out for 5-6 months for shoulder surgery I heard.  He’ll just be getting back for Fall camp.  At least he has his girlfriend to bang while he recuperates

I didn't realize that his injury was so severe. If it that bad, I completely agree with you. Good to be in college where your GF is and just hang.

There are people fine with the same guys returning next season at defensive tackle and nose tackle? 

Sweat, Coburn, Broughton were terrible for most of the year. I'm hoping that Coburn is at least serviceable returning with experience but Texas should definitely be looking for a quality defensive tackle or nose tackle. 

Is this serious after all the crying about the defensive line being a bunch of pussies this season? 

7 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Sweat is not a jag and Broughton was a project that was put on the field way too early.

I wouldn't call Sweat a JAG but he's not an all-conference player by any means either. 

Broughton is pathetic and plays patty cake the entire game. To say Broughton is a project is a reach. He hasn't shown anything on the field that suggests he's a decent player. 

I only see two defensive tackles and nose tackles on the roster that I give a shit about. Ojomo and Murphy. This was the general consensus most of the year but for some reason we just want to run things back with these shitty defensive lineman? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wouldn't call Sweat a JAG but he's not an all-conference player by any means either. 

Broughton is pathetic and plays patty cake the entire game. To say Broughton is a project is a reach. He hasn't shown anything on the field that suggests he's a decent player. 

I only see two defensive tackles and nose tackles on the roster that I give a shit about. Ojomo and Murphy. This was the general consensus most of the year but for some reason we just want to run things back with these shitty defensive lineman? 

I should have included Murphy. I agree. 

This board has been bitching about how soft our interior DL is now they don't want to add an upgrade at the position. Sure thing. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

being not all conference literally is the definition of JAG. lol

Broughton is also a JAG

Ojomo is potentially a 2nd team all conference player, Collins is a potentially 1st team all conference player who flashes, Coburn needs to drop 30lbs or he's a situational 3rd down guy at best, but a very good one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I’m not sure what to make of what happened with the DL. They all regressed despite playing for better coaches. Will another year in this scheme help? I certainly hope so. But I’m all for them having to compete with a couple of transfers and the recruits coming in. 

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I’m not sure what to make of what happened with the DL. They all regressed despite playing for better coaches. Will another year in this scheme help? I certainly hope so. But I’m all for them having to compete with a couple of transfers and the recruits coming in. 

Sweat and Coburn had already regressed under Ash. It was discussed a ton on this board about how both got too big and fat under Herman. 

It turns out having an edge like Ossai makes you look at a lot better. 

3 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Interior DL was not the issue. We never got blown off of the ball. We started walk on players at Edge and LB, but with that being said that dude from Washington is a take all day

I disagree. Obviously there were other issues but we were blown off the ball a ton. Especially Broughton (pretty much every down). 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I disagree. Obviously there were other issues but we were blown off the ball a ton. Especially Broughton (pretty much every down). 

You have a particular game or play in mind? Just go look at highlights from the Arkansas game, it’s mostly LB’s and edge getting their ass kicked

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

You have a particular game or play in mind? Just go look at highlights from the Arkansas game, it’s mostly LB’s and edge getting their ass kicked

I can clip a bunch of terrible Broughton plays when I have time. He has no understanding of leverage at all and gets blown off the ball almost every play. 

This entire discussion reminds me of last season and so many people saying it made no sense to take Ridgeway. Ridgeway would have been the best interior DL on our roster and ask how Arkansas looked this year on the DL with Ridgeway manning the middle. 

If PK is still here he loves to rotate at DT/NT and we have maybe 1 or 2 quality players there. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I can clip a bunch of terrible Broughton plays when I have time. He has no understanding of leverage at all and gets blown off the ball almost every play. 

This entire discussion reminds me of last season and so many people saying it made no sense to take Ridgeway. Ridgeway would have been the best interior DL on our roster and ask how Arkansas looked this year on the DL with Ridgeway manning the middle. 

If PK is still here he loves to rotate at DT/NT and we have maybe 1 or 2 quality players there. 

Your response would have been better just providing this: 

575C5213-8A0A-45B8-85EA-D668B35275E3.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Now you're making me sad. I forgot about Ridgeway and looks like he did have a good season for Arkansas. I remember him dominating us that's for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Reese Bennett said:

Sweat was a terror in HS at 280 and impressive as a freshman.

He needs to come in at 300-310, get some of his quickness back, and not get so tired that he stands up after a couple of plays. He can hold the line, but he needs to be crushing it and he's just carrying too much weight to be consistent.

Sweat and Coburn both looked better as FR. I don't know if this was a Herman, Orlando, or Yancy thing but several of our DL got way too big. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)