2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I seriously disagree with this. We cannot rely on what we're returning plus true freshmen. 

I don't buy it. They're not going to reach for a portal OL, but they would target a surefire starter that isn't a health risk I'm sure.

Edited by Bevo14

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I seriously disagree with this. We cannot rely on what we're returning plus true freshmen. 

Its going to require more attrition - and I'm not sure who else would leave?  We've got 9 scholarship OL right now.  Hookfin could conceivably be an medical retirement.  I don't see Angilau or Jones going anywhere.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its going to require more attrition - and I'm not sure who else would leave?  We've got 9 scholarship OL right now.  Hookfin could conceivably be an medical retirement.  I don't see Angilau or Jones going anywhere.

i fully expect more attrition at this point

image.png.c85ecfeb0d132b8abdcbe51bff6014c4.png

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That wont be an issue

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

i fully expect more attrition at this point

image.png.c85ecfeb0d132b8abdcbe51bff6014c4.png

I'm confused. Why exactly do they need more attrition? There's only 8 guys coming back. 8+7+1 or 2 transfers would get us to 16-17, which would be an appropriate number to commit to OL.

Edited by Bevo14

Just now, Bevo14 said:

I'm confused. Why exactly do they need more attrition? There's only 8 guys coming back. 8+7+2 transfers would get us to 17, which would be an appropriate number to commit to OL.

Target is 15-16. I expect at least one of those names to be gone in the spring and there are two obvious ones to me

5 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I can't envision Max Merrill taking meaningful snaps.

Although, being from Jesuit...he probably enjoys playing school too.  Free Education/Business School  might trump snaps on the field

Given NIL, guys on the team better be able to play going forward to stay on the team. 

Edited by Bevo14

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm confused. Why exactly do they need more attrition? There's only 8 guys coming back. 8+7+1 or 2 transfers would get us to 16-17, which would be an appropriate number to commit to OL.

i mean, Hookfin is a clear potential medical redshirt. haven't heard anything from Garth (and coming off of major injuries himself.) Merril was a reach last year even (FFS he was ranked outside the composite top 150 in Texas) - there are 3 potential names there.

if Karic or Parr don't get snaps next year do they stay?

if Texas brings in a C in the portal, does Majors stay?

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, Hookfin is a clear potential medical redshirt. haven't heard anything from Garth (and coming off of major injuries himself.) Merril was a reach last year even (FFS he was ranked outside the composite top 150 in Texas) - there are 3 potential names there.

I'm not going to complain if any of those guys hits the portal, I'm just saying that I don't think it's a necessity. 

Just now, NoName said:

Well it doesn't like we're bringing anyone in through the portal at this rate.

aTm started two true freshmen on their line this season. They had plenty of hiccups but they generally made it work. It's not ideal, but I'll happily build our infrastructure back up the right way, even if it means a slightly longer or bumpier rode. Neto is an EE, I believe. We can use him on the inside. Banks has to be an option for serious  snaps on the outside due to a confluence of factors we're all painfully aware of...Campbell can also ball from day 1 on the inside. 

No one wants to roll with True Freshman, but if we have to...

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

aTm started two true freshmen on their line this season. They had plenty of hiccups but they generally made it work. It's not ideal, but I'll happily build our infrastructure back up the right way, even if it means a slightly longer or bumpier rode. Neto is an EE, I believe. We can use him on the inside. Banks has to be an option for serious  snaps on the outside due to a confluence of factors we're all painfully aware of...Campbell can also ball from day 1 on the inside. 

i just hate the growing pains you get with true freshmen - all it takes is 1 blown block to lose your QB for the season.

if Texas is starting say Banks at RT, Campbell at one guard and Neto at the other next year vs Bama it's going to be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong day I am afraid. 

edit: so C Jones / D Campbell / J Majors / Neto / K Banks

Edited by NoName

1 minute ago, NoName said:

i just hate the growing pains you get with true freshmen - all it takes is 1 blown block to lose your QB for the season.

if Texas is starting say Banks at RT, Campbell at one guard and Neto at the other next year vs Bama it's going to be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong day I am afraid. 

edit: so C Jones / D Campbell / J Majors / Neto / K Banks

Banks/Jones/Angilou/Connor/Karic is my early guess.. still think they may sign a transfer to solidify  that RT spot

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

True Freshmen are okay, it's the white defenders that cause losses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Banks/Jones/Angilou/Connor/Karic is my early guess.. still think they may sign a transfer to solidify  that RT spot

An opening game starting OL of Jones/Angilau/Majors/Connor/Karic isn’t the end of the world until some of the freshmen are seasoned.  Basically last year’s line with Connor replacing Kerstetter.  Won’t be stellar but with another year in the system and a better QB they’d be good enough to beat everyone but Bama.  But Banks, Campbell, and maybe Neto will all probably be fully ready to start and play at a high level by mid season.

Just now, Snake Diggity said:

An opening game starting OL of Jones/Angilau/Majors/Connor/Karic isn’t the end of the world until some of the freshmen are seasoned.  Basically last year’s line with Connor replacing Kerstetter.

So last year's line, without the best player? Yeah I think I'll pass on that against Alabama. 

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

aTm started two true freshmen on their line this season. They had plenty of hiccups but they generally made it work.

They also grabbed Tennessee's starting LT from the portal, after he left Knoxville in the wake of the chaos surrounding Pruitt's departure. Makes it a lot easier when LT is one of the positions where you don't have to worry about inexperience.

51 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I can't envision Max Merrill taking meaningful snaps.

Although, being from Jesuit...he probably enjoys playing school too.  Free Education/Business School  might trump snaps on the field

Good post. The dude’s mom has a rep as a stone cold killer in her industry. I doubt Merril has been groomed for meek or stupid. I suspect he’s dug in like a tick and they’re going to have to burn him out if they want him gone. 

45 minutes ago, NoName said:

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong and I don’t remember if I heard this, even if Garth is who I am correctly thinking of, via online or offline resources, but I think they’ve liked what they’ve seen in a recovering Garth. 

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

They also grabbed Tennessee's starting LT from the portal, after he left Knoxville in the wake of the chaos surrounding Pruitt's departure. Makes it a lot easier when LT is one of the positions where you don't have to worry about inexperience.

The aggies will tell you that he added no value and they’re going to be better off without him next season. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong and I don’t remember if I heard this, even if Garth is who I am correctly thinking of, via online or offline resources, but I think they’ve liked what they’ve seen in a recovering Garth.

good.

i know he was a project from the day he committed, then got hurt extending the length before you would expect him on the field.

the big thing about him in recruitment was he was nimble footed for his size, right?

Banks is probably a day 1 starter at LT. God bless Christian Jones and he has gotten better, but some 215 lb dude from Kansas was running right around him like his feet were in cement. And people are worried about our inexperienced freshman blowing assignments? The vets are just as likely to get the qb killed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Banks is probably a day 1 starter at LT. God bless Christian Jones and he has gotten better, but some 215 lb dude from Kansas was running right around him like his feet were in cement. And people are worried about our inexperienced freshman blowing assignments? The vets are just as likely to get the qb killed. 

Hell, Banks probably could've shown up week 1 and won the starting job this year.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There were regular plays where he didn't even make contact with the defender. Like Jones would barely be getting out of his stance by the time the dude ran right by him

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Not if there aren't any OL that would come in and beat out the returners + key freshmen. So far there really aren't those guys in the portal. Not too mention, some of these recent commits were likely promised early playing time. Texas isn't going to upset that for some marginal improvements. Plus there is always the case that the guys at Texas improve as well. It's not unheard of.

Edited by HtownHorn

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)