2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

12 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Y'all are saying that Aggie can beat with Calzone at QB and a dogshit OL but we can't beat them with Ewers, Bijan, Worthy etc... and a dogshit OL?  

I hate to even write this, but their defense (int, solid against the run) / special teams (1 td return) were pretty damn good that game.

Our defense is swiss cheese.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Tell the truth, and answer directly. This has been one of the hardest weeks of Texas football fandom you've ever experienced, isn't it? 

Idk, I'm guessing he wanted to end it all on January 4th, 2006.

Just now, Js1 said:

Just another QB for Jimbo to ruin. 

Is there anything to ruin?

Edited by Bevo14

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But king is the best ever and weigman is better than king 

would nix go somewhere he wasn’t guaranteed to start?  Gonna be some confused aggy when one of the qbs they made fun of starts for them over one of their saviors. 

If he goes there, he will start. He is so hot and cold that he could do great things or he could turn the ball over four times. 

So Nix has been a lock to aggy since he went into the portal. Therefore Caldaza transferred as soon as he found out he didn't stand a chance in the Fall to win the job...

To me this is not a bad strategy for Jimbo, but if he was willing to go get a one-year stop gap QB, why the fuck didn't he do that last year when they were legitimately a QB away from making some noise?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

So Nix has been a lock to aggy since he went into the portal. Therefore Caldaza transferred as soon as he found out he didn't stand a chance in the Fall to win the job...

To me this is not a bad strategy for Jimbo, but if he was willing to go get a one-year stop gap QB, why the fuck didn't he do that last year when they were legitimately a QB away from making some noise?

Well, QB and an offensive scheme

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Because they (stupidly?) thought King was the guy but he broke his leg?  

Jimbo doesn't want to go into the spring with King coming off a broken leg, a true freshman Weigman and some walk-ons.  At least Calzada was a backup in his third year in the program.  Unlike relying on a true freshman if King is hurt/struggles. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Never saw meaningful snaps at OU despite having good measurables and supposedly leadership qualities. The Sooners tried to get him to gain weight and play LB and nothing every took. Could've been a Keenan Clayton starter kit for Venables, but probably gone now.

Seems like the type of guy who'll go to Utah, become all-P12, and play 7 years in the league.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Banks is probably a day 1 starter at LT. God bless Christian Jones and he has gotten better, but some 215 lb dude from Kansas was running right around him like his feet were in cement. And people are worried about our inexperienced freshman blowing assignments? The vets are just as likely to get the qb killed. 

2GsYAv.gif

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

wonder if this pushes King to portal literally anywhere else?

Bo Nix is like a weaker armed but more mobile Calzada.  Both have shitty completion percentages and even shittier yards per attempt.  

Bo isn't exactly known for 'running the offense' as much as he is for running around and crazy (sometimes good) shit happening.  I'm wondering how that meshes with Jimbo's desire to have his QB's robotically go about running his offense. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bo Nix is like a weaker armed but more mobile Calzada.  Both have shitty completion percentages and even shittier yards per attempt.  

Bo isn't exactly known for 'running the offense' as much as he is for running around and crazy (sometimes good) shit happening.  I'm wondering how that meshes with Jimbo's desire to have his QB's robotically go about running his offense. 

Jimbo is such a dumbfuck. He always recruits QBs that are a horrible match for his offense. On the other hand, it might be an implicit admission on his part that he needs a QB that can improvise within his shitty system.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Edited by Bevo14

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

so the Manziel plan but without a Mike Evans to catch all the hail marys.

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

wonder if this pushes King to portal literally anywhere else?

I think it is in King's best interest to be quiet and play his role until he has demonstrably recovered from his injury. He can utilize all of aggy's medical and sports medicine resources and then portal once healed. There is no guarantee another school would take him if he can't show that he's healed.

Bird in the hand, and all that... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

NIL for QB1 at a large university that cares about football > mlb signing bonus.

is it though?

slot value for the last pick in the 2021 1st round is $2.42m, guaranteed.

slot value for #10 is $4.7m

he isn't a below slow guy, so assuming he takes either at or very close to slot.

he is a true unique player since he offers NIL value for 2 sports at the collegiate level but if he goes in the top half of the 1st round that's a lot of money to turn down (and he won't turn it down, he would just withdraw from the draft)

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

is it though?

he isn't a below slow guy, so assuming he takes either at or very close to slot.

he is a true unique player since he offers NIL value for 2 sports at the collegiate level but if he goes in the top half of the 1st round that's a lot of money to turn down (and he won't turn it down, he would just withdraw from the draft)

If he's a midterm enrollee (which has been widely reported), this is moot. He won't be eligible for the MLB draft. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NoName said:

is it though?

We don’t really know yet.  My educated guess is that QB1 at a school with a large, rabid fan base is worth at least $1m/year.  More if you prove to be an all-conference type of guy, and the sky’s the limit if you look like a Heisman candidate.  I don’t think college baseball adds all that much to the pot.  It will certainly be an interesting few years while all this shit sorts itself out and we have an idea of what the going rate is for various achievement levels at various positions.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Merrill, Hookfin, Garth, or possibly Parr depending on the coaches eval of him. 

Boy that's ugly.  I count 6 guys on the current roster that don't make me want to go in the corner and suck my thumb and cry, and that's probably being generous to at least 1, and maybe 2 of them.  Ugh.  Banks and Campbell better be ready to go from day 1 like they are being talked about.  If Banks truly is good and ready to be a cornerstone guy from day 1 I guess I'd probably go Banks/Jones/Angilau/Conner/Karic from day 1 with Majors, Campbell and hookfin next men up.  A tackle that is actually good and absolutely ready to lock down one of the tackle spots would really really really be welcomed. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

2GsYAv.gif

This stuff made Okafor worse too. Look how he had to bail on blocking his space and take Jones' guy. He started to get into a habit of turning his body to do that and eventually let in late blitzers and stunts while he was checking.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Boy that's ugly.  I count 6 guys on the current roster that don't make me want to go in the corner and suck my thumb and cry, and that's probably being generous to at least 1, and maybe 2 of them.  Ugh.  Banks and Campbell better be ready to go from day 1 like they are being talked about.  If Banks truly is good and ready to be a cornerstone guy from day 1 I guess I'd probably go Banks/Jones/Angilau/Conner/Karic from day 1 with Majors, Campbell and hookfin next men up.  A tackle that is actually good and absolutely ready to lock down one of the tackle spots would really really really be welcomed. 

My money is on two freshman tackles, or an upperclassmen portal for the second tackle. I could see a world where Banks and Williams or Neto are the starting tackles from early in the year. Karic really doesn't strike me as a starter, and Jones should never see the field again as a starter. Hudson, Robertson, Agbo, and Campbell are going to make it tough to find interior playing time for a long time.  

9 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Seriously, I have to wonder if Jimbo is mentally ill.  Trying the same thing over and over again...

You drink a bottle of Evan Williams green label every night and see how dynamic and open to change you are.  I think he's maintaining quite well.  Highly functional.

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)