2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

23 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Is this for portal transfers? I’m confused how we wouldn’t target any OL in the portal given how shitty our line was.

I could see us take a Tackle if the right guy were available, but they won't reach with the guys they have coming in. My assumption is that we get Campbell. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I could see us take a Tackle if the right guy were available, but they won't reach with the guys they have coming in. My assumption is that we get Campbell. 

Tackle or the UVA center would be the best. I’d go that UVA center over a tackle if it came down to it 

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yea we have true freshman coming in and outside of banks none are gonna start and kick ass. We need sr and jr with experience if we want a quick turnaround and not be 5-7 or 6-6 again next year.

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Definitely need at least one blocking TE in the portal.  I’m still hopeful that Sanders can give us a better athlete at that position than we’ve had in a long time, but we’re essentially entering next season with 3 true sophomores at that position and that’s it (one of whom is more of a flex WR tweener, too).  

I would be open to any starter quality player at literally every position on defense except maybe DT.  I agree Murphy, Ojomo and Collins (if he isn’t needed at strong side DE) is our best position group on defense.  Are we thinking Watts is a safety or corner for us?

Davis is the one I'm most interested in.  Better athlete than Sanders and way more interested in physical contact.  I hope the Foster virus hasn't spread

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

DT is not an issue. This literally one of the better positions on the roster. Amazingly Murphy and Ojomo finished 2nd team on the PFF All Conference team. Sweat was 3rd team. You have Coburn and Collins in the mix. Sweat has a lot of potential and I will predict he makes an NFL roster. You could add Collins, who has the talent to be a first day pick at DT. His talent gives him the ability to bump out to DE. You want to see a dramatic change in the defense, you need to focus on the edges. I believe Babers highlighted the stat that opposing offenses were running for over 10 yards a clip on their right side D gap. I am not saying DT is Steel Curtain quality, but easily the best unit in the front 7. It is not even debatable. 

I agree with the Ojomo and Murphy part because I do think they’re talented/good players. We will have to agree to disagree on Sweat until he completely reshapes his body. 

The problem at DT/NT is that PK loves to rotate at that position. You need a lot of quality bodies there. 

Which is why they wanted Ridgeway last year and why I bet they still take an interior DL. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree. It's an odd choice for Max considering King is still the likely starter with Weigman in the wings too.

But lol if Aggy ends up starting King/Johnson for a couple years and wasting their real savior Weigman.

I’m still not going to be shocked if Weigman’s eventual career path is baseball. Let’s see how the Spring goes with the baseball team.

Weigman’s parents at one point were telling people he was going MLB. That’s why everyone thought that. 

Edited by texasstrong12

52 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea we have true freshman coming in and outside of banks none are gonna start and kick ass. We need sr and jr with experience if we want a quick turnaround and not be 5-7 or 6-6 again next year.

Neto very well could. He's an EE and played a lot of football against very talented competition at Allen. Campbell is likely going to play a lot as a freshmen as well. The other 4 will likely play in their 4 games and RS.

4 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

For me it's more that DT is low on the list of problems relative to other positions. Sure it'd be great to improve but there are bigger fish to fry (edge, LB, safety)

Transfers should be prioritized on the defensive side of the ball. 

What do we need on offense? 1 OL, 1 good WR, and maybe 1 TE? I mean ideally the offense could probably use more than that but if we are taking let’s say 6-8 transfers a majority of those should be prioritized on defense. 

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I agree with the Ojomo and Murphy part because I do think they’re talented/good players. We will have to agree to disagree on Sweat until he completely reshapes his body. 

The problem at DT/NT is that PK loves to rotate at that position. You need a lot of quality bodies there. 

Which is why they wanted Ridgeway last year and why I bet they still take an interior DL. 

I just think there are bigger issues. The Edge is a disaster. LB was a disaster with some younger guys showing glimpses of capability. Safety is basically a reboot. I am actually fine with CB. I think just setting a proper edge on defense will make the DTs look a lot better. Hard to get involved as a DT when C gap to the sideline is open for business. Again not saying they are killers, just not the biggest issue on the defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Neto very well could. He's an EE and played a lot of football against very talented competition at Allen. Campbell is likely going to play a lot as a freshmen as well. The other 4 will likely play in their 4 games and RS.

It's been corrected, Hutson is currently only EE OL.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

I just think there are bigger issues. The Edge is a disaster. LB was a disaster with some younger guys showing glimpses of capability. Safety is basically a reboot. I am actually fine with CB. I think just setting a proper edge on defense will make the DTs look a lot better. Hard to get involved as a DT when C gap to the sideline is open for business. Again not saying they are killers, just not the biggest issue on the defense. 

There are definitely bigger issues but I don’t think numbers are going to be a problem. 1 or 2 DE/OLB, 1 safety, 1 interior DL, 1 more LB at the other positions. 

Texas can’t make those numbers work? 

This was one of the worst Texas defenses ever. There needs to be new players across the board. 

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't think we are taking JAGs from the portal like we did last year, which is why the coaches loaded up on the LOS from the HS ranks. We need a WR, TE, LB, and Watts.

The problem last year is we missed on a lot of transfers that weren’t JAGs. Go look at that 247 All-Transfer team posted earlier in this thread and several of those transfers were ones we wanted. 

Seens like Texas is in better shape this cycle with NIL and momentum to land higher quality transfers. 

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't think we are taking JAGs from the portal like we did last year, which is why the coaches loaded up on the LOS from the HS ranks. We need a WR, TE, LB, and Watts.

Coaches didn’t have a lot of choices last year getting here after NSD1.  So they did what they could and bought some scratch off lottery tickets (former highly rated prospects) hoping to hit on a few of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Wish Casey well. Hope his father trips on a rake and impales a yard gnome up his ass. 

I actually do hope Hudson sticks around one more year though. He isn't going to win the job but injuries happen. You never know. 

Yea Casey’s dad was always a bit of a red flag for me. Though I liked the kid.

im really surprised he stayed this long. But for both of them to portal out. maybe they just shouldn’t suck so bad and they could have played here. Both leaving now shows me they are not mentally equipped to be in a qb battle with someone who has less college snaps as either of them 

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If Card portals we need to find some with some experience who wants to play grad school for a year and be available in case of emergency.

Let's bring in Brewer.  I seem to remember hearing somewhere a few to 500 times that his dad was a Longhorn QB and we never offered him....if he ever actually gets in with his health he can probably happily die a Longhorn on the field. 

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

So either we are getting a much improved Card or Quinn Ewers starting next fall. I like it

They have to get a portal guy now.  No way we run out with just two true freshman.  Card having to start is a nightmare senecio and not a option, he needed to transfer and Thompson stay.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)