Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

10 minutes ago, Mole said:

There are times when killing your enemies is justified, but any ideology that unilaterally seeks to simply wipe out the bad guys includes self-annihilation if it’s to be consistent. If we start destroying all the “bad guys” then we’re the bad guys.

I don’t like the minimizing of today’s suffering. It sucks and we can discuss it without pretending otherwise because it might be our guy taking the heat.

And the pretend patriotic rage is the worst. Vengeance only leads to more American tragedy. Making loud noises and talking tough doesn’t make you a patriot. Legitimate grieving anger is fine for the short term, but sending someone else’s children to die for your anger isn’t patriotism.

Are you saying that retaliation for today isn't patriotism?

I was with you up until that point, which I may have misconstrued.

And everyone in CR can take a lesson from the bolded; it's okay to be honest and not just knee jerk to "what-about-ism" with Trump.

Legitimate grieving anger is fine for the short term, but sending someone else’s children to die for your anger isn’t patriotism.

I said goddamn. Someone needs to chisel that in stone. And I say that as someone who has engaged in more than his share of such anger in the past.

Goddamn. Perfect.

Women and girls. 

Cool. So, there’s the village. There are several Taliban fighters there. Tell the F-18 pilot which mud huts to hit, and which to avoid, so he 1) only kills the men who are Taliban, and 2) doesn’t kill any non Taliban men, or women, or children.

There’s no way to do what you want without killing a bunch of innocent, usually VERY simple folks who just want to bake their bread and herd their goats, and DGAF who is in charge.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Are you saying that retaliation for today isn't patriotism?

I was with you up until that point, which I may have misconstrued.

And everyone in CR can take a lesson from the bolded; it's okay to be honest and not just knee jerk to "what-about-ism" with Trump.

To the extent that retaliation serves actual purposes and protects our people, it’s good and sort of patriotic, but retaliating because we’re angry isn’t patriotism. Making American service members pay the price of our anger is the opposite of patriotism. I don’t care if the bad guys get the last lick as long as it’s the last lick.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, David Dennison said:

But the women and girls you care so much about would be casualties in any effort to completely eradicate the Taliban.

Better to be obliterated. Than what they will or have been going through. Assuming they do live.  I have been trying to find out about the school for the deaf there. No details. Also why is Chris Cuomo still given a place of prominence at CNN? He is not even a great interviewer. BTW I would have loved a ticket with Pete and Warren. Not a fan of People running in their 70's. We have too many of them in Congress. Too many of people.  I love how Chris is so rapid fire questioning people and his own brother is a POS. 

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Better to be obliterated. Than what they will or have been going through. Assuming they do live.  I have been trying to find out about the school for the deaf there. No details. Also why is Chris Cuomo still given a place of prominence at CNN? He is not even a great interviewer. BTW I would have loved a ticket with Pete and Warren. Not a fan of People running in their 70's. We have too many of them in Congress. Too many of people.  I love how Chris is so rapid fire questioning people and his own brother is a POS. 

So now you’re advocating for collateral damage. Keep going.

And apparently advocating someone be fired because of the actions of their brother. Really excellent stuff 

Edited by hobbes2702

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

You're advocating genocide.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I said goddamn. Someone needs to chisel that in stone. And I say that as someone who has engaged in more than his share of such anger in the past.

Goddamn. Perfect.

Cool. So, there’s the village. There are several Taliban fighters there. Tell the F-18 pilot which mud huts to hit, and which to avoid, so he 1) only kills the men who are Taliban, and 2) doesn’t kill any non Taliban men, or women, or children.

There’s no way to do what you want without killing a bunch of innocent, usually VERY simple folks who just want to bake their bread and herd their goats, and DGAF who is in charge.

So its just about collateral damage? Who cares about the Taliban fighters?  They are not our friends. But hey, hopefully they will get  Covid and die. 

• Fuck You 1

Leaving Afghanistan was always inevitable and always gonna be ugly. Best thing would have been to do so 15 years ago or so shortly after killing bin Ladin. We didn’t kill him then of course because our leaders didn’t want to. Saudis, oil interests and all.  He was allowed to live. Wouldn’t have been hard to do otherwise. Just didn’t wanna. Because. Reasons.

After Obama killed him we should have pulled out then. Didn’t. Because reasons.

Somebody was gonna have to do it. For reasons, Obama and trump didn’t. So it fell to Biden to finally take the brunt of the fall.

Because. Reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So now you’re advocating for collateral damage. Keep going.

And apparently advocating someone be fired because of the actions of their brother. Really excellent stuff 

I just could care less about the Taliban, ISIS or whatever they are. Why anyone this earth should advocate for these assholes is beyond me? I guess. My belief. My choice.  Hopefully, instead of 9000 virgins they all get 20 redncecks with bullwhips when the eat death. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

What about the ones getting slaughtered right now? Or have been killed fighting for/with us? Any culture that still thinks (this includes America)

Women and girls. 

Nicole, I think I can speak for everyone on this thread (drumroll . . . .) when I say we all think the Taliban are despicable, particularly their policies toward their own people, especially women and girls.  We are in agreement; no need to beat the dead horse.  Potential "solutions" would be a waste of more American life and money, even assuming you're cool with dropping munitions on people who have never done anything to you, but you don't agree with.

An exercise in futility, in other words.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Nicole44 said:

I just could care less about the Taliban, ISIS or whatever they are. Why anyone this earth should advocate for these assholes is beyond me? I guess. My belief. My choice.  Hopefully, instead of 9000 virgins they all get 20 redncecks with bullwhips when the eat death. 

Yea you’re a fucking moron who can’t separate people being against genocide from support of the taliban. Frankly advocating genocide, collateral damage, etc. is disgusting and any rational person would be disgusted in themselves. 

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea you’re a fucking moron who can’t separate people being against genocide from support of the taliban. Frankly advocating genocide, collateral damage, etc. is disgusting and any rational person would be disgusted in themselves. 

So twenty years ago we went in. They haven't changed. Why would they? 

• Fuck You 1

Maybe she thinks the Taliban makes more Taliban by the grown men in the Taliban fucking the other grown men in the Taliban.  And they don't come out as kids, they come out as more grown Taliban men ready to fuck other grown Taliban men.  

Every asshole group in history, no matter what their membership requirements still has women and children "in support roles" even if it's completely devoid of ideology and ops, just procreation and snack breaks.  I think we'd all love to carpet bomb the Taliban, but apparently over the years they've taken on brides and made smaller Talibanistas.  We probably shouldn't blow them up.  However, to Nicole's point...if we could lure at least the single ones, the young bloodthirsty ones to like a "singles mixer" where we pretend it's just wall to wall hot trim, several miles away from the nearest village or innocent woman/child...then yeah...we could totally decimate that bar & Grill/conference center with extremely painful ordnance.  I'll get started on the fliers.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Maybe she thinks the Taliban makes more Taliban by the grown men in the Taliban fucking the other grown men in the Taliban.  And they don't come out as kids, they come out as more grown Taliban men ready to fuck other grown Taliban men.  

Every asshole group in history, no matter what their membership requirements still has women and children "in support roles" even if it's completely devoid of ideology and ops, just procreation and snack breaks.  I think we'd all love to carpet bomb the Taliban, but apparently over the years they've taken on brides and made smaller Talibanistas.  We probably shouldn't blow them up.  However, to Nicole's point...if we could lure at least the single ones, the young bloodthirsty ones to like a "singles mixer" where we pretend it's just wall to wall hot trim, several miles away from the nearest village or innocent woman/child...then yeah...we could totally decimate that bar & Grill/conference center with extremely painful ordnance.  I'll get started on the fliers.  

Or maybe it has to do with evolution?  Or maybe it has to do with beliefs so much they cannot let go of it? My history professor at UT phrased it like so this. He was gay and asked us to write an essay on being "color blind." I took all of his classes as a history major. He is/was amazing. As forward as he was, he did understand that there ar4e backward cultures. 

I recognize that some  of  us have some kind of blind site when it comes to other countries.  (btw I got a "C" in all of his classes and he wrote me a killer rec to law school --His was the only one i cared about. Best professor I ever had. Texas Monthly wrote a piece on him.) But yes, lets give the benefit of the doubt to cultures who have been here way longer than America. America must have been the ones to kill their dreams. Or is it...moving into the 21st century? 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Or maybe it has to do with evolution?  Or maybe it has to do with beliefs so much they cannot let go of it? My history professor at UT phrased it like so this. He was gay and asked us to write an essay on being "color blind." I took all of his classes as a history major. He is/was amazing. As forward as he was, he did understand that there ar4e backward cultures. 

I recognize that some  of  us have some kind of blind site when it comes to other countries.  (btw I got a "C" in all of his classes and he wrote me a killer rec to law school --His was the only one i cared about. Best professor I ever had. Texas Monthly wrote a piece on him.) But yes, lets give the benefit of the doubt to cultures who have been here way longer than America. America must have been the ones to kill their dreams. Or is it...moving into the 21st century? 

So what you're saying is, some cultures are "savage" and should not have the same rights as "civilized" cultures?

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

So what you're saying is, some cultures are "savage" and should not have the same rights as "civilized" cultures?

No no, I'm getting some strains of eugenics from Nicole along the lines of "maybe it has to do with their evolution". Not savages, just untermensch to her

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The Taliban isn’t a culture, it’s a radical religious ideology. They exploit a war torn country that if all things were equal should probably be a bunch of smaller countries, or maybe Afghanistan should be smaller and a lot of the tribal areas should be folded into neighboring countries that are also exploiting Afghanistan. This isn’t something like the US where New England has one accent, and the south another. People from the north don’t even speak the same language as the south. It’s a country that has been undergoing a civil war for 40+ years. 

37 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Nicole, I think I can speak for everyone on this thread (drumroll . . . .) when I say we all think the Taliban are despicable, particularly their policies toward their own people, especially women and girls.  We are in agreement; no need to beat the dead horse.  Potential "solutions" would be a waste of more American life and money, even assuming you're cool with dropping munitions on people who have never done anything to you, but you don't agree with.

An exercise in futility, in other words.

I get it. Just trying to find about the deaf school. Kinda important to me. But hey, ya'll keep moving the goal posts. It's not me. They are just "misunderstood." Keep telling yourselves that. 

• Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I cannot believe this has to be explained to an adult, but genocide is evil. Nazi shit evil. Stalin/Mao/Pol Pot type evil. In other words, even-worse-than-the-Taliban evil. 

We’re not defending the taliban. We’re advocating not murdering tens of millions of innocent people. Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with you?

• Hook 'Em 3

Happened to catch the international reporter for CNN (Clarissa Ward) on NPR’s Fresh Air this afternoon.

Worth a listen if you can track it down.

She is the one who was in Kabul last week that was quoted out of context as saying that the Taliban were peaceful or something like that.

She talks about the practical differences for rural Afghan women versus those in the city (basically that the rural women haven’t really seen much change in their lives over the last 20 years so going back to Taliban rule won’t be as significant a change, while for urban women their lives are basically over).

She also told the harrowing story of her own evacuation.

Pretty gut wrenching stuff.

Edit: found a link.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/26/1031234338/cnn-clasrissa-ward-on-the-taliban-and-afghan-women

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I cannot believe this has to be explained to an adult, but genocide is evil. Nazi shit evil. Stalin/Mao/Pol Pot type evil. In other words, even-worse-than-the-Taliban evil. 

We’re not defending the taliban. We’re advocating not murdering tens of millions of innocent people. Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Can you imagine being in 2021 and still stuck in in the 1600's? . Sorry if people have to come to grips with that. I could care less how may of the taliban die or ISIS. They deserve it.

• Fuck You 2

Just now, Nicole44 said:

Can you imagine being in 2021 and still stuck in in the 1600's? . Sorry if people have to come to grips with that. I could care less how may of the taliban die or ISIS. They deserve it.

No, I can’t, but you’re clearly experienced at it. What’s it like being a monster?