Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I respectfully disagree. Also, I just meant kill (not rape.) Just wipe out. Sorties and such. Air Force. Navy. Destroy them. 

Yea let’s just wipe all bad ideologies off the planet. That seems possible and won’t cost any American lives. Jesus Christ 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Americans do not have the stomach to do what you want to the Taliban.

I mean there is something to be said for the way the Old Testament and Plains Indian tribes dealt with vanquished foes

Edited by Sawbonz

Am I missing something because this attack had nothing to do with the Taliban.  It was ISIS and it was a suicide bomber terrorist attack.  Are we now going to start blaming every leader over the last 40 years for every suicide bomber that killed people on their watch?  Just in the US that would be Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, W, Obama, Trump, and now Biden.  Let’s add in all the leaders in other countries that suffered terrorist attacks like England, Germany, Israel, and on and on….  Unfortunately, a guy with a bomb strapped to his chest and willing to die is pretty tough to stop especially in a place like Kabul.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's already been established that slightly less than half the American voting public are idiots and imbeciles.  Another good 30% are mere morons on #bothsides.

That alone explains the difference, without resorting to partisan political affiliation.

Moreover, no one is saying this isn't a shitshow.

The question being endlessly hashed over is how much difference a different plan or a different administration would have made.

Biden supporters aren't saying it's being handled well.  At best, they're saying it may be being handled as well as it could under the circumstances.  Circumstances that your Dear Leader prepared and insured without the testicular fortitude to actually do the thing.

I think it has actually been established, this week in fact, that slightly more than half of the American voting public are idiots and imbeciles.

I think we should put our collective wealth together and buy some of our badass republicans on here a ticket to Afghanistan since they alone can create order out of chaos. I am sure the troops would appreciate their impressive logistical support and genuine Internet street credit. They can take immediate control of the situation and demand that the agreements and property are returned.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

There are lots of monsters in the world*. The Taliban isn’t the worst. We can’t stop ideologies that don’t adhere to our norms. Hell, look what’s happening in America … we can’t stop the bigotry and hatred from our neighbors on our own soil.

* American imperialism has created a metric ton of ‘em, too.

You could also call it the industrial age. I have no likes or fucks to give for those who have no respect for human life. I have no fucks to give what their national origin is. All I know is what the Taliban has done and there is ample evidence that after 8/31/2021 the world would be a better place without them in it.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

Do you think Joe should have overridden his generals to disperse the 2500 troops on the ground to the various airbases to conduct the withdrawal from there?
That's Inka's latest proposal.  Sounds reasonable to me.  Plausible.  Might have obtained a better result.
And it is almost without doubt below the Presidential level of decisionmaking.

Joe listens to his generals?

I agree with you on the rest.

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I respectfully disagree. Also, I just meant kill (not rape.) Just wipe out. Sorties and such. Air Force. Navy. Destroy them. 

No one ever surrendered to an airplane. Or a warship (well maybe another ship but what does that get you)

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Joe listens to his generals?

I agree with you on the rest.

So in your dumb ass mind you believe the the military/generals brought Biden plans that would get us out of there with zero casualties and Joe said, “Screw that,  I have a better way to do this, I know more than the generals.  Someone hand me a black marker.”  I think you are thinking of the previous President.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

You could also call it the industrial age. I have no likes or fucks to give for those who have no respect for human life. I have no fucks to give what their national origin is. All I know is what the Taliban has done and there is ample evidence that after 2021 the world would be a better place without them in it starting 6/31/21.

Nearly 700k are dead from Covid and 25% of this country thinks it’s a fake virus. If you start knocking off people like you say, the world will be an empty place (which would be awesome, mind you)

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

You could also call it the industrial age. I have no likes or fucks to give for those who have no respect for human life. I have no fucks to give what their national origin is. All I know is what the Taliban has done and there is ample evidence that after 8/31/2021 the world would be a better place without them in it.

So what’s your point? We know bad people exist. We can’t do anything about it without sacrificing American lives.

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So in your dumb ass mind you believe the the military/generals brought Biden plans that would get us out of there with zero casualties and Joe said, “Screw that,  I have a better way to do this, I know more than the generals.  Someone hand me a black marker.”  I think you are thinking of the previous President.

Military brass came up with the current operation. He has to know that.

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We barely had the stomach to annihilate a couple of cities in Japan and have strenuously debated the morality and necessity of doing so for the last 75 years.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This is impossible to do without collateral damage.

That's why Americans do not have the stomach for it.

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Nearly 700k are dead from Covid and 25% of this country thinks it’s a fake virus. If you start knocking off people like you say, the world will be an empty place (which would be awesome, mind you)

Have you ever read The Stand? I'm cool with it. 

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

How about we just leave them all the fuck alone, and hopefully our non-existent presence will limit the number of terror attacks on the West? 

Sadly, that means a lot of atrocities are going to befall their citizenry, especially women. But, until we can invent a nuke that only kills the bad guys, we're kind of at an impasse.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

We barely had the stomach to annihilate a couple of cities in Japan and have strenuously debated the morality and necessity of doing so for the last 75 years.

I understand that. My Papa (far row on the left 7th back went to join in the middle of the night from HS/they were all underage. He was the only one who came back and he told amazing stories which we were too stupid to record. He left at 15.) 

I have no problem “negotiating” the Taliban into a situation where they are killed. But I guess that’s just me. 

12CC9872-A4B7-4E88-9565-273F8B9613A1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Number of Americans dead today from terrorism in Afghanistan: 12 

Number of Americans dead today in Covid in America: 1,185

Let’s continue the outrage 

Those people probably would have died anyway. It's not like we have a vaccine.

Oh, sorry, I was using last year's talking point.

I'm pissed about today. I wish more of those who are also pissed would expand their anger.

Buck stops with him. Last week joe wasn’t taking any responsibility talking to George S…today he does.

He’s a fucking loon.

I was more proud and happy that Joe Biden intimated retaliation ("“We will not forgive. We will not forget,” he said from the White House. “We will hunt you down and make you pay.”) today than with the cheap and easy rhetorical trick of "The buck stops here! I'm the leader and I take responsibility and ownership" blah blah lip service that a bunch of naive suburbanites in middle management lapped up because it's such a familiar middle management virtue signal.

Heck yea Joey B, I love that energy! He's here to chew gum and kick Taliban butt who messes with the bull--- and he's all out of gum. I'm here for this Joey Biden.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

There are times when killing your enemies is justified, but any ideology that unilaterally seeks to simply wipe out the bad guys includes self-annihilation if it’s to be consistent. If we start destroying all the “bad guys” then we’re the bad guys.

I don’t like the minimizing of today’s suffering. It sucks and we can discuss it without pretending otherwise because it might be our guy taking the heat.

And the pretend patriotic rage is the worst. Vengeance only leads to more American tragedy. Making loud noises and talking tough doesn’t make you a patriot. Legitimate grieving anger is fine for the short term, but sending someone else’s children to die for your anger isn’t patriotism.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What are your thoughts on all of the the women and children we kill in our attempt to save women and children?

What about the ones getting slaughtered right now? Or have been killed fighting for/with us? Any culture that still thinks (this includes America)

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

How about we just leave them all the fuck alone, and hopefully our non-existent presence will limit the number of terror attacks on the West? 

Sadly, that means a lot of atrocities are going to befall their citizenry, especially women. But, until we can invent a nuke that only kills the bad guys, we're kind of at an impasse.

Women and girls. 

• Fuck You 1