Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Many US leaders wanting to maintain a presence in country is unsupported?

Your positions and narratives are unsupported.  

20 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

The generals all told him to NOT give up Bagram ...

I'm helping you out by letting you know that this (along with the doha and Fauci stuff) is the result of the information you choose to consume.  You have the ability to change your information diet.  It is hard and takes effort but is required in order to be a responsible citizen in today's US

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently, keeping Bagram open was never in the cards. So, if you had heard Milley's position on it way back in June (and I didn't see the video until yesterday either), do you think you would have immediately called it stupid and doomed for failure? Or would you have given a proven leader the benefit of the doubt and tactical expertise, and you're only calling it such an "obvious mistake" now because of the results?
Serious intelligence mistakes were made, Americans are dead, and, as President, that ultimately falls on Biden. I'm pissed at how this is turning out, don't buy into all of it being inevitable, and expect answers and heads to roll if necessary. But you have to stop with the "if they had just done this, this, and this" over-simplistic bullshit. 

Your balanced and objective take is a hallmark of you being afflicted with terminal libtardedness. You will be missed.

Many US leaders wanting to maintain a presence in country is unsupported?

And THERE it is…..see below.

I like how the liar is back around to criticizing the decision to leave, despite repeatedly saying it wasn't about the decision to leave only how it was handled.

Yep. It all comes back to the obvious: the world that Baba wants is fundamentally incompatible with an actual withdrawal. Frankly, it’s a big step for him to finally state it honestly.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

This should work out well.

Assume this is true. It may be. I don't know. But let's both assume it is true and that you are posting out of sincere concern for the USA.

A "US official" "warns" us about this. I wonder about the editorial use of "warns" rather than "says." But let's move on.

If the US government knows these persons are on watch lists; doesn't that mean that the government knows who they are? Doesn't that mean they won't just be parachuted into sweet America's heartland to do foul deeds?

These 100 are on military planes under military supervision. Instead of leaving them, there must have been some good reason for bringing them out. It makes sense to decide on that in a timely manner away from Kabul, does it not?

What are we being "warned" about? Why is the message so charged with fear mongering? Why is your accompanying what it is?

Those are rhetorical questions, Field Marshal.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I doubt I will have that opportunity.

i personally am still rooting for you and kate. ;)

thanks by the way for enduring the insanity of this thread and providing some reasonable takes not dipped in histrionics every once in a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I like how the liar is back around to criticizing the decision to leave, despite repeatedly saying it wasn't about the decision to leave only how it was handled.

You going to keep fucking this chicken?  How am I criticizing the decision to leave?  I said repeatedly I support it.  I stated there are  MANY in the military that do not want to leave and are upset about abandoning the base.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You going to keep fucking this chicken?  How am I criticizing the decision to leave?  I said repeatedly I support it.  I stated there are  MANY in the military that do not want to leave and are upset about abandoning the base.  

ahhhh, I see. """people are saying"""

keep on fuckin that chicken. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. It all comes back to the obvious: the world that Baba wants is fundamentally incompatible with an actual withdrawal. Frankly, it’s a big step for him to finally state it honestly.

No, that is not it at all.  Baba is more fundamental than that.  He is team R full stop.  There is no limit to the bullshit he would believe from the R-cult.   There is zero breakthrough,  deprogramming those like him will not happen without censorship of hate speech and propaganda or an intervention.  

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What exactly are you doing on this thread or wishing to accomplish? You don't seem to be contributing much of anything in good faith.

i thought it was obvious but i'm taking every opportunity possible to mock the breathless stupidity of a handful of posters.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

No, that is not it at all.  Baba is more fundamental than that.  He is team R full stop.  There is no limit to the bullshit he would believe from the R-cult.   There is zero breakthrough,  deprogramming those like him will not happen without censorship of hate speech and propaganda or an intervention.  

Eh, even without exposure to propaganda he's a lost cause. He's the type that just makes a lot of it up himself, and then fervently believes it (until it becomes inconvenient then he immediately abandons it and pretends he never believed it).

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I will type this slowly:  Is the "narrative" that many military leaders do not want to pull out of Afghanistan "unsupported"?  Yes or no?  

You can type slow.  That doesn't change the fact your positions are unsupported.  

21 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

The generals all told him to NOT give up Bagram ...

The real question though is why do you have unsupported positions, share them with others, and then fail to change those positions when shown that your positions are unsupported.  I am giving you that answer. I'm helping you out.  The reason is your information diet and the information bubble you are in.  I'm telling you that today's world requires a good citizen to be properly informed and able to control their information diet.  You can change.  You can become a good citizen by choice and then by action.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Sigh, I'm just not as sophisticated as the open-minded and highly objective CR dwellers.  

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Cute that you won't answer the question.  Tells us all we need to know

I'm not having a debate with you. You position that all the generals told Biden to not give up Bagram is obviously an unsupported lie.  That isn't of issue. Rather than debating you, what I am doing is telling you what it takes to be a good citizen, which requires cleaning up your information diet - removing the daily mail and twitter until you are able to process information.   

3 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I'm not having a debate with you. You position that all the generals told Biden to not give up Bagram is obviously an unsupported lie.  That isn't of issue. Rather than debating you, what I am doing is telling you what it takes to be a good citizen, which requires cleaning up your information diet - removing the daily mail and twitter until you are able to process information.   

I never said all the generals.  I don't know exactly which ones, nor does anyone else.  What we do know if there are multiple sources reporting that military and intel leaders repeatedly told the administration NOT to force a rapid exit, and to NOT rely on the ANA, and to NOT pull all forces out and surrender key bases.  They were ignored.  Even hyper partisan CNN is repeating it ad nauseum.  

16 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

No, I can’t, but you’re clearly experienced at it. What’s it like being a monster?

Ask yourself what it is like to be a female  under the Taliban. Ask yourself again. And again and again. Oh, that’s right we only put up with that side of the world bc they have resources in their soil we need. Again, our President is only negotiating with them bc they are a means to an end. 

33 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Eh, even without exposure to propaganda he's a lost cause. He's the type that just makes a lot of it up himself, and then fervently believes it (until it becomes inconvenient then he immediately abandons it and pretends he never believed it).

That lady who made "The Brainwashing of my Father" claimed her father pulled a shotgun on her and threatened her (its on Amazon Prime BTW), managed to recover her Dad.  There is hope.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

I never said all the generals.  

22 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

The generals all told him to NOT give up Bagram as it was much, much easier to secure while providing support for any units in the area.  

Back to being a good citizen.  https://thelearningcounsel.com/article/creating-quality-digital-citizens-through-media-literacy

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

You keep trying to tap dance on a pin head.  I think on a sports message board you can get away with interchanging "top military leaders" as so many publications have sourced and the term "general".  We have another chicken fucker.  

2 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Does Trump even remember being President? That fucker just gets off on attention. It makes sense btw. I doubt either one of his parents spent any real time with him. The media made him. Talking about him was great for ratings. Still is. Classic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

You keep trying to tap dance on a pin head.  I think on a sports message board you can get away with interchanging "top military leaders" as so many publications have sourced and the term "general".  We have another chicken fucker.  

I would confidently argue that media literacy and digital citizenship are the most important topics of our time. Media impacts every aspect of our lives, specifically affecting the way we relate to, learn about, and interact with the people around us. Whether it be through social media, blogs, advertising, or the nightly news, all aspects of media cumulatively affect our perception of the world and what is happening within it. With such an incredible impact on our daily lives, the ability to navigate, verify, and trust information is vital for everyone.

As educators, it is our duty to help students understand their impact in the digital world by teaching them the important skills of identifying “fake news,” detecting credible sources, and understanding their role in media creation.

Beyond Identifying Fake News

One of the first challenges media traversers encounter is keeping up with the speed of information. Oftentimes, news outlets don’t have the luxury of time because of how fast they are expected to keep information flowing to their audience. They are often forced to sacrifice accuracy for speed. As the consumers, we must be willing to do our own verification, especially in a world where the term “fake news” is being used with abandon.

Information is much more complex than fact or fiction. It is important that we work with our students to help them truly understand their world, develop a system to comprehend the information around them, and engage with society.

We should teach students to trust information, but always to inquire, confirm, and verify. Educating our students on what is “real” is critical to knowing how global headlines will impact them. One tool that I can confidently use in my work with students and teachers is myON News. This is a reliable news resource a number of schools use to inspire empowerment, engagement, and citizenship in an age-appropriate, relatable, and informative manner. The digital multimedia platform serves as an interactive and fun introduction to daily news and current events for kids, while encouraging them to become global citizens.

The current conversation about fake news puts trusting news sources front and center. Work with your students to get to the core of trust and effective ways to verify that information.

Find the Sources social media at school

There was a time when the dots of information were clearly connected, with fewer go-betweens from the direct source to the media outlet that was publishing it. Now, everything is significantly more complicated. When it comes to online media, start by following the links. They’ll help take you back to the places where the information started. If they lead to a personal social media account, you might want to consider your confidence in the information before sharing it.

For example, I often hear my students tell me that they receive their news from their phone or from social media platforms. We may trust these platforms, but it’s not accurate to trust all the news content we see on them. I work with students to help them understand where the information is coming from. What is the original source? Who created it? Were they paid to write it? Trusting is about asking more questions. By teaching students to slow down and verify sources, we can start to break the bad habits of our rapid-fire media consumption and sharing. Bottom line: if you don’t have time to verify it, you shouldn’t share it.

Exploring Media as Creators

Not long ago, the definition of media literacy expanded to include media creation. No longer are students primarily passive consumers of media—they are now active content creators via online sharing, posting, and commenting. Every time our students Snap a picture to a friend or comment on Instagram, they are contributing to the media landscape.

Include tools in your classrooms that help empower students to create their own media. Consider teaching students how to create videos, integrate coding skills, and explore creating and using apps. As we empower students to become effective creators, we instill critical thinking skills to support them as they navigate the incredible information flow they encounter daily. By embracing their engagement in media creation, we can educate them on how to properly take part in the new world as media-literate participants.

Media literacy and digital citizenship encourage students to use their critical thinking skills to ask questions about what they’re creating, consuming, and sharing. We should help students understand that simply because they see something online or in the news doesn’t always mean that information is 100% correct. The key is keeping an open and curious mind.

https://thelearningcounsel.com/article/creating-quality-digital-citizens-through-media-literacy

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it hasn't been nearly the shitshow most would have you believe. Is it great? No. Is it terrible? Also no.

It is what it is. 16 years of fighting for what? Yes ultimately and unfairly, the blame and optics of the worst casualty of the US military in over a decade will  have been on his watch. It is what it is. 

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Assume this is true. It may be. I don't know. But let's both assume it is true and that you are posting out of sincere concern for the USA.

A "US official" "warns" us about this. I wonder about the editorial use of "warns" rather than "says." But let's move on.

If the US government knows these persons are on watch lists; doesn't that mean that the government knows who they are? Doesn't that mean they won't just be parachuted into sweet America's heartland to do foul deeds?

These 100 are on military planes under military supervision. Instead of leaving them, there must have been some good reason for bringing them out. It makes sense to decide on that in a timely manner away from Kabul, does it not?

What are we being "warned" about? Why is the message so charged with fear mongering? Why is your accompanying what it is?

Those are rhetorical questions, Field Marshal.

If you read the article, it says they have been identified by automatic scanning, not verified.

It also says that they are being screened further by CBP.

So, yes, your surmise that we apparently have a "grip" on them seems to be correct. 

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

worst casualty of the US military in over a decade will  have been on his watch

where are you pulling this stat from? Genuinely curious as I don't know where you'd find those stats, is that something you read from a cited source, or just facebook shit?

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

where are you pulling this stat from? Genuinely curious as I don't know where you'd find those stats, is that something you read from a cited source, or just facebook shit?

A) Not on the Facebook shit.

B) Yes it is the worst casualty of American troops  there in over a decade. 
It is not a favorable article but if you require more credible sources I’m your gal.

Thursday's U.S. military casualties were the first in Afghanistan since February 2020 and represented the deadliest day for American troops there in a decade.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/afghan-bombings-have-not-immediately-changed-us-withdrawal-plans-source-says-2021-08-26/

I could link other ones if that is not satisfactory.

• Hook 'Em 4

After being experts on everything for the last 4 years, it’s funny to watch collective CR play this “oh if it’s so easy you join the army” “look at this military expert, you should run for president” card.

What a bunch of taints.

Bunch of Taints would be a good band name

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I never said all the generals.  I don't know exactly which ones, nor does anyone else.  What we do know if there are multiple sources reporting that military and intel leaders repeatedly told the administration NOT to force a rapid exit, and to NOT rely on the ANA, and to NOT pull all forces out and surrender key bases.  They were ignored.  Even hyper partisan CNN is repeating it ad nauseum.  

Nivek is reporting that Salma Hayek, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley have decided to enter into a relationship with Nivek of Surly Horns.  In other news, Steve Sarkisian has all but announced that Nivek of Surly Horns will be the starting QB of the Texas Longhorns, when asked to comment about his advanced age, horrible arm, and overall limited athletic ability, Steve commented "he has that **it factor."   Also Jeff Bezos was killed in a knife fight with ChiTownDoc last night, over who gets to adopt Nivek, and the US Supreme Court has ruled that Nivek gets to inherit both fortunes effective immediately.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

A) Not on the Facebook shit.

B) Yes it is the worst casualty of American troops  there in over a decade. 
It is not a favorable article but if you require more credible sources I’m your gal.

Thursday's U.S. military casualties were the first in Afghanistan since February 2020 and represented the deadliest day for American troops there in a decade.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/afghan-bombings-have-not-immediately-changed-us-withdrawal-plans-source-says-2021-08-26/

I could link other ones if that is not satisfactory.

that headline is wrong, there were non-combat fatalities (keep in mind, casualty is broader than fatalities, so it's wrong in that way too) in may, july, and november of last year. 

http://www.icasualties.org/App/AfghanFatalities?page=2&rows=10

26 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Also, I would like to know why it is that posters ass-ume so much about me? My life is an open book. 

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

not my gaming computer. 7G3zITG.png.8253d34f7fbc55efa0856f28163b7ed6.png

Why would you name yourself after the shittiest TexMex/Mexican restaurant ever in the whole history of the world? Y’all in this CR may be unforgiving but I do read the Travel thread. Scared shitless to post there. 

1. You won’t find many sources more credible than Reuters. They can be wrong, but their reporting is likely pretty accurate.

2. Maybe a little pedantic, but “worst casualty of the US military in over a decade” and “deadliest day for American troops there in a decade” don’t really mean the same thing. Either statement could be worse depending. Reuters called it the deadliest day and limited it by geography (“there”). Casualty is a broader term beyond just death and of course that would also include anything from Iraq or elsewhere.

Yes, it’s pedantic and it doesn’t change the overarching point of the statement that this terrible thing happened on his watch, but they’re still different things.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

that headline is wrong, there were non-combat fatalities (keep in mind, casualty is broader than fatalities, so it's wrong in that way too) in may, july, and november of last year. 

http://www.icasualties.org/App/AfghanFatalities?page=2&rows=10

It is believed to be the most US troops killed in Afghanistan in a single incident since 30 personnel died when a helicopter was shot down in August 2011.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021/8/26/us-military-personnel-in-bomb-attacks-at-kabul-airport

Just now, Nicole44 said:

Why would you name yourself after the shittiest TexMex/Mexican restaurant ever in the whole history of the world? Y’all in this CR may be unforgiving but I do read the Travel thread. Scared shitless to post there. 

i  named myself well before ever hearing of that restaurant. 

23 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Bagram has two fields.  More flights and faster turn around times and the runways are longer.  It allows for military support to be in play if needed.  It was there to support the ANA.  One day they had support, the next the phones were dead.  

Bagram is not surrounded by mountains that can bracket the runways.  It's already defended and set up to sustain attacks if needed.  If the Taliban start shelling Kabul, it's light out.  Full stop.  Were one artillery or rocket away from the entire exodus going to tits up.  There's also more room at Bagram to house and feed people.

These all outweigh the logistical challenges of it's remote location.  

I know what you mean, dude.  I hate it when I have to fly out of JFK or LGA when EWR is so much closer to my house.

But seriously, HKIA seems to be the right decision based on output.  Have you realized this yet or are you still working the Bagram angle?

On 8/26/2021 at 4:46 PM, BabaYaga said:

The generals all told him to NOT give up Bagram as it was much, much easier to secure while providing support for any units in the area.  

Real question: how do you know what the generals are telling Biden?  How do you know this, Mr. Exfil?

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1