Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

So, was he looking for a sound bite during his campaign? Some emotional points in the polls? Or did he just determine that particular rifle was worse than the other sa used to kill all those folks in EP?   Or does he even know the difference? 

I can't say for sure without doing a Vulcan mind meld on Beto but I assumed he latched on to the gun issue to stand out from the crowd during the primary. Most of the candidates were chasing Bernie and Beto was a shit lib so it seemed like he seized an opportunity to be different. Bernie's one weakness from the left was gun control. The skeptic in me leads me to believe that Beto was a political opportunist when it came to the gun control issue after the El Paso shooting.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Why? Because you said so?  They are held in very high regard with people who study those types of things. 

Yes. Because that is my opinion. Because other firearms with a lower rate of fire provide similar benefit to self defense. Would those who wear No-Fear shirts also hold fully automatic long guns in high regard with those types of things? 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Why? Because you said so?  They are held in very high regard with people who study those types of things. 

It seems like back before the AR and other semi-auto long guns became such a political lightening rod, the general consensus was that they weren't very good home defense weapons. Relatively low levels of training by owners, high risk of over-penetration of the 5.56 round inside a home, not the easiest to load and charge, etc. Most of the "experts" back then recommended short barrel shotties or handguns. My personal home defense weapon is an H&K USP .40 with a surefire tac light that can blind my neighbor 4 houses down.  If you google "Is the AR 15 a good home defense weapon" today, it's hard to find anything I'd consider unbiased. I guess it's just another sign of the times. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It seems like back before the AR and other semi-auto long guns became such a political lightening rod, the general consensus was that they weren't very good home defense weapons. Relatively low levels of training by owners, high risk of over-penetration of the 5.56 round inside a home, not the easiest to load and charge, etc. Most of the "experts" back then recommended short barrel shotties or handguns. My personal home defense weapon is an H&K USP .40 with a surefire tac light that can blind my neighbor 4 houses down.  If you google "Is the AR 15 a good home defense weapon" today, it's hard to find anything I'd consider unbiased. I guess it's just another sign of the times. 

I guess an AR-15 would be good home defense weapons against a zombie invasion or maybe 15,000 Haitian refugees. Other than that, seems like there might be much better options as pointed out by Pescado.

I get it — AR‘s are pretty cool. And fun to shoot. I just don’t see many practical situations where somebody would NEED to own one. Unfortunately, they’re used a LOT in mass shootings in the US. You’re familiar with the saying “this is why we can’t have nice things”?

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I guess an AR-15 would be good home defense weapons against a zombie invasion or maybe 15,000 Haitian refugees. Other than that, seems like there might be much better options as pointed out by Pescado.

An AR-15 might be the weapon of choice if you're barricaded in an Alamo like place with wide open sight lines and plenty of space.   Inside the confines of the normal American home/apartment, at night, against a home invade.    Yeah, not so much.

But don't let the mouth breathing, knuckle draggers know that.  We can thin the herd during a zombie apocalypse if those dumbasses try and hole up inside their homes with limited mobility and visibility.

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

A few things/observation - they were expensive/hard to get during the AWB.  Prior to that, I don't remember them being seen as sexy/glamorous, but then again, they were mostly the long-rifle version M-16s.  Once the AWB expired in 2004 (and the M4 came into service during the AWB), you saw constant video/film of American soldiers in Afghanistan/Iraq carrying the shorter-barreled M-4s with all of the attachment, and once the price dropped and they were available everywhere, it seemed like they gained in popularity.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Holy 6 head 

Holy shit - I thought that had to be some weird cell phone fisheye lens sorta thing going on.  Then I googled him - nope ...

Dade_Phelan.jpg

Is he a love child of one of the Mannings or something?

Edited by Gap03
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

A few things/observation - they were expensive/hard to get during the AWB.  Prior to that, I don't remember them being seen as sexy/glamorous, but then again, they were mostly the long-rifle version M-16s.  Once the AWB expired in 2004 (and the M4 came into service during the AWB), you saw constant video/film of American soldiers in Afghanistan/Iraq carrying the shorter-barreled M-4s with all of the attachment, and once the price dropped and they were available everywhere, it seemed like they gained in popularity.

They were butt ugly during the AWB era like the gun version of wearing crocs with socks and jorts ugly. Just a goofy looking rifle. The MAK-90 was all the rage during in the 90's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Ah yes, the AR-15......the firearm equivalent of Ed Hardy.

It's a much much more dangerous rifle than any of the other sa rifles because...reasons.  That 80yo .30 carbine in my safe will have killed hundreds of thousands more people than the AR 15 ever will, but it's not nearly as scary looking.  SO FUCK YEAH AMERICA, IM COMING FOR IT!!!!!!  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

An AR-15 might be the weapon of choice if you're barricaded in an Alamo like place with wide open sight lines and plenty of space.   Inside the confines of the normal American home/apartment, at night, against a home invade.    Yeah, not so much.

But don't let the mouth breathing, knuckle draggers know that.  We can thin the herd during a zombie apocalypse if those dumbasses try and hole up inside their homes with limited mobility and visibility.

Speaking to KTRK, Lieutenant R. Willkens said: "There was an adult female who was in one of the bedrooms and observed him looking in her windows. She was in fear. She had a rifle. She shot numerous times through the wall [and] ended up striking the male.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/woman-shoots-dead-alleged-peeping-tom-standing-outside-bedroom-window/ar-AAOo4iz

14 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

What would be a weird wet dream - especially among the female suburban WYPIPO - is if MM primaried Abbott et al and it was him vs Beto on the ticket. That would be hilarious.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47b1xvajvdngi2jxjqs6

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Is that a poll of adults only? Because I really do not believe that. 

One of my neighbors could give everyone on the block a gun and probably have ten left over so there's that too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

It's a much much more dangerous rifle than any of the other sa rifles because...reasons.  That 80yo .30 carbine in my safe will have killed hundreds of thousands more people than the AR 15 ever will, but it's not nearly as scary looking.  SO FUCK YEAH AMERICA, IM COMING FOR IT!!!!!!  

The 100+ year old 1903 Springfield that I have, via older relatives who passed it down (and my great-grandpa definitely did not "accidentally" smuggle it home) has  killed more people than my brother-in-law's tricked out AR15 that he's had for 10 years and dumped hundreds of dollars into.  And most of those people were not German-speaking either. And the fucking fancy-pants detectives didn't even give it a second thought when they walked right past it hanging on the wall with a bunch of WWI stuff.

Anyways, I digress.

The fucking Mogwai released a statement today.  We really need to be goading him with the idea that if he loses, it can only be because of problems with the election.

E_0UAz3UcAI7pPp?format=jpg&name=medium

58 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

What would be a weird wet dream - especially among the female suburban WYPIPO - is if MM primaried Abbott et al and it was him vs Beto on the ticket. That would be hilarious.

I know a few of the women on here find him "political hot" but you aren't comparing his looks to MM, are you?   

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

No.

No because you wouldn't consider anyone with R next to name, or you believe he's actually somewhat conservative?

10 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Nope unisex, cheap, and works as needed.

Unisex?  Glad to see your handguns of choice are on the gender spectrum.  

For the record-we're partially in our mass shooting mess in this country because people equate larger firearms/higher capacity as being more masculine.  I'm sure it's a fine weapon and it looks efficient and discrete, no flashy macho bullshit about it. I've never fired one, but many other guns.  I was just looking at it and wondering how the hell I could even responsibly hold it.  The grip and front straps, I wouldn't even know where to put all my extra palm and fingers.  I don't buy guns for their size.  I'm down to just one pistol that was a gift and had to have the grip and straps modified because my hand was way too damn big for it.  I'm sure a Yeet Cannon G1 would work well for me too with the right modifications.  It just seems like I'd be better off starting from scratch given its dimensions.  But if it works for you, if it's comfortable and you're proficient and safe with a handgun that size...more power to ya'!

Edited by Lobo

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Unisex?  Glad to see your handguns of choice are on the gender spectrum.  

For the record-we're partially in our mass shooting mess in this country because people equate larger firearms/higher capacity as being more masculine.  I'm sure it's a fine weapon. I've never fired one, but many other guns.  I was just looking at it and wondering how the hell I could even responsibly hold it.  The grip and front straps, I wouldn't even know where to put all my extra palm and fingers.  I don't buy guns for their size.  I'm down to just one pistol that was a gift and had to have the grip and straps modified because my hand was way too damn big for it.  I'm sure a Yeet Cannon G1 would work well for me too with the right modifications.  It just seems like I'd be better off starting from scratch given its dimensions.  But if it works for you, if it's comfortable and you're proficient and safe with a handgun that size...more power to ya'!

Definitely, you could probably add an extended magazine for more finger room. 

Screenshot_20210921-182604.png

Edited by workswithseed
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

It's definitely was named 

Definitely, you could probably add an extended magazine for more finger room. 

Screenshot_20210921-182604.png

If I wanted a magazine demonstrating more finger room, I'd order a back issue of Penthouse 1972 featuring South Austin's mom full eagle spread.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I know a few of the women on here find him "political hot" but you aren't comparing his looks to MM, are you?   

I mean, Beto bathes and washes his hair and ass on the regular, so that immediately gives him a leg up.  MM looks like he smells.

And MM is the rare man who isn’t getting more handsome as he ages and he’s had some kind obvious facial tweaks.

So yeah, I find Beto better looking.

But it’s not like either of them are hard on the eyes so……