Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

11 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It seems like back before the AR and other semi-auto long guns became such a political lightening rod, the general consensus was that they weren't very good home defense weapons. Relatively low levels of training by owners, high risk of over-penetration of the 5.56 round inside a home, not the easiest to load and charge, etc. Most of the "experts" back then recommended short barrel shotties or handguns. My personal home defense weapon is an H&K USP .40 with a surefire tac light that can blind my neighbor 4 houses down.  If you google "Is the AR 15 a good home defense weapon" today, it's hard to find anything I'd consider unbiased. I guess it's just another sign of the times. 

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

I guess an AR-15 would be good home defense weapons against a zombie invasion or maybe 15,000 Haitian refugees. Other than that, seems like there might be much better options as pointed out by Pescado.

I get it — AR‘s are pretty cool. And fun to shoot. I just don’t see many practical situations where somebody would NEED to own one. Unfortunately, they’re used a LOT in mass shootings in the US. You’re familiar with the saying “this is why we can’t have nice things”?

There has actually been a lot of debate about this in the gun community, because, believe it or not, most gun owners want to have something effective for home defense that doesn't over penetrate. The .223/5.56 round is actually much better at this than a lot of the conventional wisdom espoused ten or fifteen years ago. Plenty of folks have set up experiments to see how many walls different rounds will penetrate. The .40 S&W is pretty good at over penetration. As is buckshot in anything larger than #4, or pretty much any of the rounds conventional wisdom says should be better.

17 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

giphy.gif

He’s actually with the Texas Speaker of the House not the bill’s author.

Why would the original tweet knowingly spread false info. That’s so frustrating. 
There is enough real stuff to attack MM on (such as not stating positions). Why make stuff up.  

just curious, why did you share this when you knew the OGT was fake?  

Edited by Xian
  • Hook 'Em 1

There has actually been a lot of debate about this in the gun community, because, believe it or not, most gun owners want to have something effective for home defense that doesn't over penetrate. The .223/5.56 round is actually much better at this than a lot of the conventional wisdom espoused ten or fifteen years ago. Plenty of folks have set up experiments to see how many walls different rounds will penetrate. The .40 S&W is pretty good at over penetration. As is buckshot in anything larger than #4, or pretty much any of the rounds conventional wisdom says should be better.

Can you clarify what “pretty good at over penetration” means

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

What are the odds Huffines pulls a Trump and derails the Republican primary by being the most insane candidate then rides the momentum through the election and ends up Governor?

On a 10 point scale, I think 6.

I hope it more follows the presidential pattern of the crazy candidate gets his base, depresses what’s left of sane GOP voters or conservative independents from not voting and losing in the end. 

Edited by YChang

Hard to say at this point.  Trump's endorsement of Abbott seemed huge at the time, put a little fear into Allen West certainly.  But Huffhines hasn't been forced back into going back under his bridge yet.  Hasn't deterred him one bit actually.  Unless West has some rabbit to pull out of his hat.....this thing is heading to a runoff of Huffhines and Abbott. 

And it will be the most watched political race in the United States for all of March, April, and May.  It will put Trump's endorsed guy (who has Presidential aspirations of his own all of a sudden) in Abbott up against a guy who has done a more organic appeal to MAGA nation in Huffhines.  If you know how that games out, please let me know.  Because I could see it going either way.  Good news is we get to see infighting like you won't believe.  Bad news is one of them will be Governor of Texas (hopefully Abbott would return back to some semblance of decency upon winning the runoff).  

But really think about how big this race will be if (and it's really not an "if") there's a runoff between Greg and Huffhines.  The money and misinformation that will pour into our state where the Governor's races have largely been an afterthought formality for decades.  Gonna be a fucking shitshow 

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Dotard already endorsed Abbott.  There were tweets and shit about it.

Trump has changed horses in races in the past and Huffines has picked up some endorsements from Trump staffers and allies. Abbott and his data people know he's pushing moderates/independents away with the hard-right shit, and Abbott doesn't seem to care right now.  Something has him spooked, and it's not West - Abbott really veered hard right when Huffines entered the race.

Either he's concerned that Huffines will get some traction and will bloody him in the primary, or he's concerned that Huffines might mount a third-party challenge in the general, and is doing everything he can to absolutely bury Huffines in the primary.

Unlike Abbott, Huffines is a True Believer.  I don't know what the threshold is for Huffines to run third-party/MAGA, but even pulling single-digits in the general could cost Abbott the election.  If Huffines were to pull 25% or 30%, does he run in the general?

Now it could simply be that Huffines and Abbott may run in the same circles (BOMC!) and know the same BMDs and Abbott is worried that Huffines will take some donations  away from him, but those same BMDs have got to know that Abbott will win the primary and wouldn't waste money on Huffines.

OR Huffines is looking at 2026, and is thinking Abbott will damage himself in 2024.

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Plenty of folks have set up experiments to see how many walls different rounds will penetrate. The .40 S&W is pretty good at over penetration. As is buckshot in anything larger than #4, or pretty much any of the rounds conventional wisdom says should be better.

Depends on what the walls are made out of, as well as doors.  Sometimes you need to make sure your neighbor truly goes down when you are shooting at him through the fucking wall because he has a couple of containers of gas in his garage and your generator is out and it's fucking 10 degrees in February and your have no power and you're using fucking snow to flush your toilets, because you know he'll either call the cops or pull a John McClane and try and hunt you down.

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It will put Trump's endorsed guy (who has Presidential aspirations of his own all of a sudden) in Abbott up against a guy who has done a more organic appeal to MAGA nation in Huffhines.  If you know how that games out, please let me know.  Because I could see it going either way.  Good news is we get to see infighting like you won't believe.  Bad news is one of them will be Governor of Texas (hopefully Abbott would return back to some semblance of decency upon winning the runoff).  

What if Trump decides in the next few months to actually run in 2024?  

Does he start kneecapping potential competitors like Abbott and DeSantis in their current races by endorsing primary opponents?  Or does he say "you know, these two, Governor Abbott and Don Huffines are both fine candidates, and no matter who wins, Texas wins!"

Because that's exactly the kind of thing Trump, and the people around him, would do.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

What are the odds Huffines pulls a Trump and derails the Republican primary by being the most insane candidate then rides the momentum through the election and ends up Governor?

Have there been any polls showing how he does against the potential D candidates (like Beto)? 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump has changed horses in races in the past and Huffines has picked up some endorsements from Trump staffers and allies. Abbott and his data people know he's pushing moderates/independents away with the hard-right shit, and Abbott doesn't seem to care right now.  Something has him spooked, and it's not West - Abbott really veered hard right when Huffines entered the race.

Yup. Trump supports candidates that he thinks will win. If he thinks Huffines will win then he will switch his endorsement.

Hell, he endorsed a loser in one congressional race and then said afterwards that he endorsed the winner. 

44 minutes ago, F250 said:

zero point zero.  Huffines's name recognition statewide is probably barely in double digits.  Maybe he could peel enough votes away if he ran third party to swing the election but he's coming nowhere close to Abbott in the primary.

21 minutes ago, WBT said:

Huffines's name recognition statewide is probably barely in double digits. 

And those double digits are concentrated among RPT primary voters and county party activists. He's extremely popular with them. One of the ones I know opined recently that Allen West only got in the race to pull votes away from Huffines and thus protect Abbott. A member of a suburban party executive committee member thinks that.  Not saying Abbott won't win. He probably will. But it Huffines can go on Tucker and catch lightning in a bottle, and Trump switches his endorsement, it could happen. 

That said, I don't think it will. I think Pres Trump backed Abbott because he knows that Abbott almost certainly wins the general and he doesn't want another Roy Moore moment. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

What would Huffines do that Abbott isn't doing and how would he pay for it?

This. Read @washparkhorn's link from The Bulwark. It's a road map for Mogwai Huffines Smeagol to rule like the oligarch he wishes to be.

A governor might mobilize state law enforcement and national guard units to take up positions at commonly used crossing points, and simply turn back illegal entrants, or place them in state holding centers from which they would be returned by air or other conveyance to the countries from which they entered. Equipped with a more robust constitutional mandate, eminent domain could also be used to acquire land at or near the border to erect walls and place other impediments to unauthorized entry. And this shouldn’t be by unilateral gubernatorial action, but done in concert, if at all possible, with the relevant state legislatures. Checkpoints would also have to be established along the lines demarcating borders with states that didn’t join in this effort in order to prevent migrant circumvention. Here COVID precedents could be drawn upon.

14 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Professors Eastman and Tribe need to explain themselves regarding  and anti-democratic (small d) instruction manuals.

Also; Huffines is touting throughout his campaign thus far, very similar rhetoric. They're trying out the fascist playbook and seeing if it's going to work.

But they also want it to be accompanied by shows of popular force:

Supporters could be directed to the borders, where they would demonstrate and provide cheer and comforts to the police and guardsmen. Demonstrations would also be mounted in major cities, making this a high intensity, media saturating, citizen-involved campaign.

It’s not clear which borders the authors are talking about here, or what “high intensity” demonstrations would mean in practice—perhaps they are thinking of all the loving and kissing that took place at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

What would Huffines do that Abbott isn't doing and how would he pay for it?

This is a serious question that Texas Republican primary voters ask themselves constantly because they are very serious about policy outcomes and fiscal discipline.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

And those double digits are concentrated among RPT primary voters and county party activists. He's extremely popular with them. One of the ones I know opined recently that Allen West only got in the race to pull votes away from Huffines and thus protect Abbott.

West was leading the covid protests against Abbott last year, at the Governor's mansion no less, and he was constantly using his standing in the RPT to attack Abbott, so that's doubtful - he was highlighting the very things that Huffines is attacking Abbott over.  

West fucked around in the RPT and found out.  I don't know if he's trying to set something up down the road - such as trying to raise his profile for a run at another seat elsewhere in the state, or what, but I have my doubts as he's clearly not playing a long game.  Stupid shit like taking potshots at Abbott while running the RPT, the "birthplace of Texas" nonsense just reinforces that there is no long game with him - if he had a media team, they would not have fucked up something that simple (unless they hated him).

West knew there were additional Texas (R) seats coming to the House - if he was smart, he would have taken some time off and gotten ready to run for one of those seats.  All he has done is made enemies among the people he will need later on.

With that said, West is pulling some votes away from Huffines, but Huffines is solely focused on Abbott.

"Why have you only deployed 500 to the border? They are exhausted. We have 19,500 Texas national guards sitting at home. Why?"

Bitch, because they are National Guard, not full-time active-duty Army.  

If Abbott pushes them too hard to go camp down on the fucking border, it fucks with their civilian jobs and families, and they'll bail the next time their enlistment is up, and the State of Texas has to reimburse the feds for consumables/maintenance/etc. on their equipment/vehicles. The feds could also tell them "okay we're done here, Abbott can't keep calling them up like this."  And the State of Texas is going to have to pay them every day they are down there.

They also have National Guard shit to do, like classes, certifications/qualifications, etc. that have nothing to do with being "in the field" (on the border) as well as maintenance of equipment/vehicles/infrastructure that also has nothing to do with being "in the field" (on the border).

Holy fuck, Allen West is still trying to push the "Birthplace of Texas" bullshit, only he takes on "Independence". Stop fucking that chicken Allen, it's not going to win you any fans among Texans who actually paid attention in class.

Also, stop playing up the LTC thing.  Anybody who served in the military is not that impressed. 

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

"Why have you only deployed 500 to the border? They are exhausted. We have 19,500 Texas national guards sitting at home. Why?"

Bitch, because they are National Guard, not full-time active-duty Army.  

If Abbott pushes them too hard to go camp down on the fucking border, it fucks with their civilian jobs and families, and they'll bail the next time their enlistment is up, and the State of Texas has to reimburse the feds for consumables/maintenance/etc. on their equipment/vehicles. The feds could also tell them "okay we're done here, Abbott can't keep calling them up like this."  And the State of Texas is going to have to pay them every day they are down there.

They also have National Guard shit to do, like classes, certifications/qualifications, etc. that have nothing to do with being "in the field" (on the border) as well as maintenance of equipment/vehicles/infrastructure that also has nothing to do with being "in the field" (on the border).

There were these ads that would run in the 80's about serving in the Guard.  Of all my relatives that served in the 4 branches, only 1 went on to serve in the Guard so I didn't real know anything about it (he did it years before I was even born I think).  Anyway, these ads pushed the whole "earn college assistance, get training, etc." But they always featured "1 weekend a month, 2 weeks every summer."  That was a huge selling point apparently.  I always assumed everybody remembered that. 

Whenever I hear some dipshit demanding the National Guard be deployed for some open-ended mission to nowhere...I think, "I was 7 when I grasped their deployment capability.  Seven.  The fuck is your problem?"  They're brave, they're capable, they're heroes on call for real missions.  They are not meant to sit at the border for weeks on end for photo ops.  You know how Texas prides itself on having Citizen-Legislators?  These folks in the Guard are Citizen-Protectors.  They have other lives, other support postures, other demands on them that don't involve appeasing Trumpers and the like.  At least Abbott knows that much, which of course means we're just days away from him saying "fuck it" and hitting the all call-up alert.  That should go over well, destroying families and communities in every fucking corner of the state to stave off a guy who was recently taunting hobbits in middle earth this time last year.  

Edited by Lobo

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

Good news is we get to see infighting like you won't believe.  Bad news is one of them will be Governor of Texas (hopefully Abbott would return back to some semblance of decency upon winning the runoff). 

Abbott has never had a semblance of decency -- he's always been a piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court is not from Texas.  

All the shit I get for not being a native Texan from our DT crowd...fuckers don't realize half the cocks they suck come from outside our fair borders.