Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I’ve come around. Either we get a dem for gov or we get sniffing huffines. It’s the only way to burn it all down and flip this mofo. 

So let me ask you this.  I’m by no means a fan of Huffines, but what the fuck has Greg Abbott actually done to help the state of Texas?  I literally can’t think of one good thing. 

6 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

So let me ask you this.  I’m by no means a fan of Huffines, but what the fuck has Greg Abbott actually done to help the state of Texas?  I literally can’t think of one good thing. 

Abbott is going hard-right and pushing MAGA everything because he thinks it will win him votes/endorsements from Daddy Trump.

Huffines does it because he's a True Believer in that shit.

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott is going hard-right and pushing MAGA everything because he thinks it will win him votes/endorsements from Daddy Trump.

Huffines does it because he's a True Believer in that shit.

Synthetic opioid.

Natural opioid.

Get a mega-dose of either, you're dead just the same.  In the GQP primary, Texas has a choice of HOW it wants to ingest deadly poison, but zero choice as to IF it wants to.

This fucking state.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

I can already tell I'm regret asking this but what are "Puberty Blockers"?  Is like when you don't let a 9 year old have an AR-15?  

Not sure if you already got an answer to this, but this is related to transgender kids.  One of the treatments helps delay puberty.  The intent is that it gives transgender kids and families time to figure out what the right path is before the kid goes through all the changes of puberty, which may be confusing and difficult to reverse.  This came up when Arkansas tried to block all the trans treatments for kids.

This article covers some of it: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-arkansas-law-and-similar-bills-endanger-transgender-youth-research-shows/

Experts say claims that gender-affirming medical treatments are experimental or risky are flawed on several levels. Puberty blockers—a class of drugs called GnRH agonists that dampen the effects of sex hormones—have been used safely for decades to delay puberty in children who start it too early. In transgender youth, the drugs are used to prevent the development of permanent sex characteristics such as breasts and voice changes at the onset of puberty—generally age nine or older. Gender-affirming hormones—testosterone or estrogen—are not usually given until a person is in their teens. These hormones promote the development of sex characteristics that are different from those of the sex that an individual was assigned at birth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Anyone who gives a shit about whether some other random family might use a puberty blocker (which is temporary) in consultation with a doctor, because they are potentially dealing with the most stigmatized situation you can encounter, can fuck right off. How the fuck do people asserting much rights/muh freedoms reconcile this authoritarianism?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Anyone who gives a shit about whether some other random family might use a puberty blocker (which is temporary) in consultation with a doctor, because they are potentially dealing with the most stigmatized situation you can encounter, can fuck right off. How the fuck do people asserting much rights/muh freedoms reconcile this authoritarianism?

easily. they're terrible people

• Hook 'Em 1

1. I am conflicted on Abbott versus Huffines.  I think Abbott is more of an opportunist - he will go whichever way the wind blows with the base.  If, somehow, miraculously, the entire GQP base went pro-business, pro-immigration, pro-masks and pro-public education tomorrow, he'd be calling for a special session to repeal basically the entire 2021 legislative agenda he signed.  Huffines is a true believer in the crazy - he'd more likely help turn Texas blue faster than demographics, but at what cost? 

2. I've heard some rumblings of an imminent Beto announcement for governor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

1. I am conflicted on Abbott versus Huffines.  I think Abbott is more of an opportunist - he will go whichever way the wind blows with the base.  If, somehow, miraculously, the entire GQP base went pro-business, pro-immigration, pro-masks and pro-public education tomorrow, he'd be calling for a special session to repeal basically the entire 2021 legislative agenda he signed.  Huffines is a true believer in the crazy - he'd more likely help turn Texas blue faster than demographics, but at what cost? 

2. I've heard some rumblings of an imminent Beto announcement for governor. 

Beto will get crushed.   Whoever the Rep candidate is will run that clip of him saying he'll take guns over and over and over again.  

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Beto will get crushed.   Whoever the Rep candidate is will run that clip of him saying he'll take guns over and over and over again.  

We are 12 months out from the 2022 election and no one has stepped up.  At all.   

Honestly, I don't see anyone who will keep it to single digits.  Beto can at least do that much, as long as he doesn't even talk about guns.  Keep it to what it is - the bogus abortion law, the mask mandates/public health, Abbott going full MAGA, etc.  The GQP will do whatever it takes to deflect from that and bring up guns. 

He at least has name recognition already and has put in the work to get Texans registered to vote.  If Clay Jenkins or Linda Hidalgo or Ron Nirenberg are going to run, they have a lot of fucking work to do because outside of Dallas/Houston/San Antonio, they have no name recognition.  Which is what dooms Dems every cycle. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thank GIF

This. I was somewhat amused that a game show host was elected president in 2016. I didn't think he'd do shit. I was wrong. I was way the fuck wrong. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'd like to extend a hearty "fuck you" to Don Huffines and his ilk.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This. I was somewhat amused that a game show host was elected president in 2016. I didn't think he'd do shit. I was wrong. I was way the fuck wrong. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'd like to extend a hearty "fuck you" to Don Huffines and his ilk.

I was terrified as all hell bc I was with a chick who saw doom and gloom everywhere. She was right about some of it, wrong about much of it. But in the end her paranoia and my curiosity lead me to follow TFG more closely than I wanted to. I can easily say the republic won't survive a TFG2. And yes, he paved the way for sentient gargoyles like Huffines to slither from their swamp and make their presence known.

• Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Satchel said:

I don’t understand why, in a state of 34 million people, the Democrats can’t find anybody to run against Abbott, Patrick and Paxton?

I don't either, but I'm all for paying @RDCanecutter to move in long enough to run. Everyone would be charmed by the storytelling and no one could remember what all the anger at each other was about. Win in a landslide.

Pretty disheartened by the lack of local candidates, but it's tumbleweeds and dusty curtains in my neck of the woods.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No party, really. It's like a building and letterhead more than anything else. 

22 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Really demoralizing.

These.  There is no statewide organization or strategy.  None.  Just a name brand that some people run under.  Believe it or not, Beto has done more to create a unified party strategy than anyone in the past 30 years....and to be clear, he hasn't done shit.  He's just done more than anyone else.

And some of that blame goes to the national Dem party (which isn't a lot better).  It hasn't provided any help of note to Texas in building a state party.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't either, but I'm all for paying @RDCanecutter to move in long enough to run. Everyone would be charmed by the storytelling and no one could remember what all the anger at each other was about. Win in a landslide.

Pretty disheartened by the lack of local candidates, but it's tumbleweeds and dusty curtains in my neck of the woods.

I would vote for RD.

• Fuck You 1

So, Joe Jaworski is running against Paxton, and Mike Collier is running against Patrick (again). 

They seem like decent candidates but agree the name recognition is pretty weak. Being the grandson of Watergate prosecutor Leon Jaworski is at least something though. 

Regarding Governor, as much as those of us who pay attention have criticisms of the Castro bros, I think one of them could make a decent run against Abbott. Time to man up.

1 minute ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

So, Joe Jaworski is running against Paxton, and Mike Collier is running against Patrick (again). 

They seem like decent candidates but agree the name recognition is pretty weak. Being the grandson of Watergate prosecutor Leon Jaworski is at least something though. 

Regarding Governor, as much as those of us who pay attention have criticisms of the Castro bros, I think one of them could make a decent run against Abbott. Time to man up.

I agree. There are millions of us just waiting to vote for somebody decent.

33 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Mr Whiggins not putting out anymore? 🤣

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

22 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Waiting on one of the Castro brothers to man up and acquit himself well on behalf of the state of Texas?  Yeah.....shit in one hand and wish that in the other, etc.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Get me a little person and a broom and a truck we can both stand in while campaigning. Then later I'll give everybody new things to be angry about.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On his campaign website, Huffines talks about how he's "self-made."  Yeah, other than being the son of the owner of Huffines Auto Group in the Dallas Metroplex, which was started by his grandfather in 1924. You know, the auto group with 9 locations, 800 workers, and sold 19000+ cars last year. 

• Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

On his campaign website, Huffines talks about how he's "self-made."  Yeah, other than being the son of the owner of Huffines Auto Group in the Dallas Metroplex, which was started by his grandfather in 1924. You know, the auto group with 9 locations, 800 workers, and sold 19000+ cars last year. 

irony is indeed dead