Who's Carrying Today

Horn_Spanker

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

What to know about the new law

Who can carry a gun under the new law?
The law applies only to those 21 or older with a clean criminal record.

Who is excluded from the new law?
A Texan currently disqualified from possessing a firearm will still be prohibited under the new law. Lawmakers also raised the penalties for illegal weapons carried by felons and those convicted of family violence offenses.
The bill allows for the expunction of criminal records for unlawful carrying of a handgun in a nonprohibited place before the Sept. 1 start date.

How can a lawful person carry the gun?
Under the new law, a person can carry a handgun either concealed or carried openly in a holster.

We have such a fucked up mythology that just gets more and more simplistic.

Any conflict is necessarity between a good guy and a bad guy. That's childish.

Conflicts between illusory good guys and bad guys are most often solved with the good guy shooting the bad guy. Worse than childish.

Some walk around with these myths in their brains and imagine bravely facing a dangerous enemy in some fantasy land scenario.

It's nuts. I don't care if some people want to own guns. I don't like being surrounded by armed fantasists itching to deem someone "bad" and open up.

Proud display of guns at all times seems like a profound psychological problem. Sadly, it's reinforced by TV dramas, movies, and video games.

It's crazy, this gun culture of ours.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I carry a pistol at the ranch all of the time. Lots of reasons. I have shot wild pigs with my handgun. Snakes.  Dispatching trapped pigs.  Dispatching snared coyotes.  Self defense (not sure if you noticed but illegals in South Texas are not uncommon and although most are harmless not all are).  

So yes when I run into town I am usually carrying unless I am going out to dinner or something.  But running in for something quick during the day -- yeah, I will keep my pistol. Most of the time it is cool enough and I'm wearing a jacket.  So not open carry.  But this weekend, it is hot as shit, and when I run into town I'll probably be open carrying. It is the only time I would ever open carry.  But no one in South Texas towns gives a shit. I'd rather just run in and out quick and would rather keep the gun on me than in my ranch truck in case someone breaks in.  I never leave a rifle unattended in a vehicle ever.  I like my rifles way too much.

In Houston, I would never open carry.

Holy fuck, you've actually shot migrants?

43 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Do you hunt with a pistol? I mean, I manage to leave my rifle in the truck when I stop by the store and my pistol.

All I have to do is look up when I am at the rifle range to see how fucked up some people are. I could grate cheese with the roof.

I don’t hunt with a pistol.  I carry a pistol with me when I hunt and complete manly chores while on the property.  The pistol is carried for dispatching wounded deer and pigs, snared dogs and such.  

Additionally, the pistol is useful for being out in the brush while unwanted humans are trespassing by coming up out of the boundaries of the river bed where it is legal for them to hunt.  They are typically armed. Some make honest mistakes while others know they are trespassing and don’t care one bit that they are on someone else’s property.   We have had issues with a group of hogdoggers running on our joint in the middle of the night and in broad daylight.  They seem to think they can go anywhere they want if their dogs go first and then claim a right to retrieve the dog. 

I do not leave unattended rifles in my truck.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't like being surrounded by armed fantasists itching to deem someone "bad" and open up.

This is pure projection.  You are surrounded by millions of them in the state, thousands upon thousands in your city, and probably encounter a few dozen each day that you are oblivious to (CHL carriers).  You have 21 other states that have already passed the law.  

Make sure and update your status.  Just to be sure

5liuif.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I don't believe that anyone under 21 could previously have a handgun on their person in public unless they were a member of the armed forces with an LTC or a similar situation.

I think I conflated possession with carrying. 

But then again there were those teens involved in that 6th street shooting. Cops determined one of them was shooting in self defense and dropped all charges. He was definitely carrying and he was only 16 or 17. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

You know there are a lot of other states that have this law.  And many have had it for years.  I don't understand the pearl clutching.  It has not caused any issues in other states.  Why does anyone think it will here?

We heard the same pearl clutching in mid 90s when CHL was passed -- the streets would run red and people would shoot each other over parking spots.  Never happened. Then again when campus carry passed.  And yet again when open carry passed.  Now it is constitutional carry.

I think this new law is not a big deal.

And most people that carry are not the caricature you have in your mind.  Most do it quietly and responsibly.  Very few ever use their guns in self defense.

My point was larger than this law. It's the gun culture itself that is a sickness. Not ownership of guns. The bizarre culture we as a country have built around them.

I preferred a time when I wasn't in a crowd of people all possessed of lethal capabilities. It's a pathology. I'm not qualified to diagnose it, but one might guess it's founded in needless insecurity.

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Jeuss Christ this.  Who the hell does this?  

Someone that does not give a shit about their guns.  My rifles stay in my safe at home or at ranch unless they are in my immediate possession.

And my personal truck has a console vault where one of pistol resides. I have had my truck broken into too many times to do otherwise. Last time was a year ago at IH terminal C parking lot.  Dickhead busted out a window with a hatchet I had in my tool box.  And beat the shit out of my safe trying to get in.  Although I had to replace the safe the asshole was not able to break through it.  The two pistols I had in there -- my 5-7 and Judge -- were safe.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My point was larger than this law. It's the gun culture itself that is a sickness. Not ownership of guns. The bizarre culture we as a country have built around them.

I preferred a time when I wasn't in a crowd of people all possessed of lethal capabilities. It's a pathology. I'm not qualified to diagnose it, but one might guess it's founded in needless insecurity.

Now is one of the safest times ever to live with respect to gun violence in the last 40 years (although it has ticked up a bit the last few years).  And the gun nuts you reference aren't the ones who are a material threat to you.

Maybe your perception does not match reality.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And most people that carry are not the caricature you have in your mind.  Most do it quietly and responsibly.  Very few ever use their guns in self defense.

I think that's where I am. I was thinking about open carrying in places in urban centers. The idiots similar to the ones I posted pics of come to mind.

Didn't think about open carrying in rural areas. If I saw open carry out there, I probably wouldn't look twice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Someone that does not give a shit about their guns.  My rifles stay in my safe at home or at ranch unless they are in my immediate possession.

And my personal truck has a console vault where one of pistol resides. I have had my truck broken into too many times to do otherwise. Last time was a year ago at IH terminal C parking lot.  Dickhead busted out a window with a hatchet I had in my tool box.  And beat the shit out of my safe trying to get in.  Although I had to replace the safe the asshole was not able to break through it.  The two pistols I had in there -- my 5-7 and Judge -- were safe.

Yep.  The days of the rifle in the gun rack are over for this very reason - they are arguably the #1 snatch-and-grab burglary item and these seems less compunction to pop out a window than in days past.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The idiots similar to the ones I posted pics of come to mind.

They are VERY much the outliers and not the best examples.  They are just trying to get attention.  Carrying a rifle around all day would be a monumental PITA when combined with day to day activities.  They did it once or twice, took social media pics, and that was probably it.  Just trying to make a point.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They are VERY much the outliers and not the best examples.  They are just trying to get attention.  Carrying a rifle around all day would be a monumental PITA when combined with day to day activities.  They did it once or twice, took social media pics, and that was probably it.  Just trying to make a point.  

for better or worse, that's what people see when they hear open carry. those insecure pussy fucksticks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Most are just trying (and succeeding) to get a rise out of people. 

As evidenced on this very thread.  It isn't very difficult to draw them off-sides.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The two pistols I had in there -- my 5-7 and Judge -- were safe.

If I were to own a handgun, I think that would be the one. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Jeuss Christ this.  Who the hell does this?  

Small town Texas people, in the late 90’s early 2000’s where I grew up half the trucks in the school parking lot had guns in them.  Now days at school probably not but I bet plenty have shotguns they just leave in their truck during dove season.   

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Looks like 30.05 is saying no firearms, regardless of LTC or not.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

If a private property owner doesn't want you carrying, then that's what they use.

30.05 is the no trespassing code.  If they want to cite that code with respect to firearms they can.

Their property / their rules as it has been explained to me.

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Pretty sure it was founded by our Founders

Boilerplate. No need to hash this out again. One of us doesn't get it.

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Anecdotal. 

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Now is one of the safest times ever to live with respect to gun violence in the last 40 years (although it has ticked up a bit the last few years).  And the gun nuts you reference aren't the ones who are a material threat to you.

Maybe your perception does not match reality.

They are if they start shooting. If they weren't carrying then there would be no worries. I didn't refer to them as gun nuts. It's an inflammatory term. It's not my intention to inflame.

Maybe my perception is incorrect. You still really haven't addressed the main point about this country's mania for guns. 

spacer.png

Does this look normal to you? It's a peaceful demonstration. In my opinion, the above should be illegal.

There is something in our mythology that fuels this mania. Look how many people are fetishistic about their guns and the proper nomenclature. It's weird.

My post has clearly stated that I am not bothered that people own guns. I own a pistol. I preferred the world of my younger days when they weren't all over the fucking place.

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Small town Texas people, in the late 90’s early 2000’s where I grew up half the trucks in the school parking lot had guns in them.  Now days at school probably not but I bet plenty have shotguns they just leave in their truck during dove season.   

USED to, but not much anymore.  Too much risk of them being stolen.  There are no smaller towns in W.Texas than where our land is, and ZERO guns unsecured.  It's risky and irresponsible.  

6 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Used to see deer rifles on racks all the time in trucks around Houston in the 80s. I didn't give it much of a thought other than thinking it might make a gun fight on the loop more likely. I doubt that ever happened.

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Anecdotal. 

They are if they start shooting. If they weren't carrying then there would be no worries. I didn't refer to them as gun nuts. It's an inflammatory term. It's not my intention to inflame.

Maybe my perception is incorrect. You still really haven't addressed the main point about this country's mania for guns. 

spacer.png

Does this look normal to you? It's a peaceful demonstration. In my opinion, the above should be illegal.

There is something in our mythology that fuels this mania. Look how many people are fetishistic about their guns and the proper nomenclature. It's weird.

My post has clearly stated that I am not bothered that people own guns. I own a pistol. I preferred the world of my younger days when they weren't all over the fucking place.

In your younger days the gun homicide rate was a lot higher than it is today.  You just don't like those people. They are zero threat to you.  You just don't like them as people.  

I feel the same way about most people in academia outside of STEM.  They are not threat to me. But I cannot stand them as people and think they're fucking worthless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I preferred the world of my younger days when they weren't all over the fucking place.

The gun ownership rates in the US in 1972 were 43%.  In 2020 they were 42%.  Obviously they vacillated up and down between them, but the point stands.  

Percentage of households in the United States owning one or more firearms from 1972 to 2020

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You just don't like those people. They are zero threat to you.  You just don't like them as people.  

Okay. Tell me what I think and feel instead of considering the question I raise. It's dismissive, facile, and typical of the dogmatic.

I'll leave this sanctuary.

• Like 1

I’m having a fine dining experience at Luby’s on the NW Freeway in Houston. 

Nobody open carrying.  No blood running over the steam tables and onto the serving line then sloshing off my plastic tray and onto the little old lady’s carrot salad  in front of me.  

Dire predictions be damned. 

4 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Nobody open carrying.  No blood running over the steam tables and onto the serving line then sloshing off my plastic tray and onto the little old lady’s carrot salad  in front of me.  

Not all heroes wear capes!  You stay safe my good man!

5 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Shit, you've signed your own death warrant!

Luby's shooting - Wikipedia

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Do you hunt with a pistol? I mean, I manage to leave my rifle in the truck when I stop by the store and my pistol.

All I have to do is look up when I am at the rifle range to see how fucked up some people are. I could grate cheese with the roof.

hunting with rifles and sights is for pussies and people with small peckers.

Edited by dcar00

Abortion for another thread, but the carry is just Texas joining 20+ existing states that have the same law.  Not sure how VT got this passed.  Wild.  

1. Maine
  2. Vermont
  3. New Hampshire
  4. West Virginia
  5. Kentucky
  6. Tennessee
  7. Mississippi
  8. Arkansas
  9. Oklahoma
  10. Missouri
  11. Iowa
  12. North Dakota
  13. South Dakota
  14. Kansas
  15. Arizona
  16. Utah
  17. Wyoming
  18. Montana
  19. Idaho
  20. Utah
  21. Alaska

You said Utah twice. 

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

High school kids used to do that in most small town school parking lots so they could go hunting after class.

Hell, I did this, but that was years ago.  Different times.  Rumor's were that when Oswald was in the tower, it was hunters with scoped rifles that helped keep his head down when people were being rescued and treated.  

40 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Anecdotal. 

spacer.png

That something is called King George III and Lexington & Concord The “something” that even Massachusetts has forgotten.

• Like 2

If a private property owner doesn't want you carrying, then that's what they use.
30.05 is the no trespassing code.  If they want to cite that code with respect to firearms they can.
Their property / their rules as it has been explained to me.

Yep, property owners and employers can say absolutely no guns, hence the 30.05 code.
However, is there a code yet that says if you have a LTC you are good, but absence of a LTC permit you are not allowed to carry?

2 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Yep, property owners and employers can say absolutely no guns, hence the 30.05 code.
However, is there a code yet that says if you have a LTC you are good, but absence of a LTC permit you are not allowed to carry?

Not that I've seen. I think that's the rub.  You either exclude all or none.  I stand to be corrected but I haven't seen where its permissible to allow someone who has a permit, but exclude someone else who is otherwise permitted by this law.

They can however prohibit open carry, but allow concealed carry, so yet another sign.  Sign companies making out like bandits now.

Hell, I did this, but that was years ago.  Different times.  Rumor's were that when Oswald was in the tower, it was hunters with scoped rifles that helped keep his head down when people were being rescued and treated.  

Holy shit he rose from the dead and shot at people from the tower?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1