Who's Carrying Today

Horn_Spanker

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

In your younger days the gun homicide rate was a lot higher than it is today.  You just don't like those people. They are zero threat to you.  You just don't like them as people.  

I feel the same way about most people in academia outside of STEM.  They are not threat to me. But I cannot stand them as people and think they're fucking worthless. 

I'm not that worried about most of those morons killing me intentionally.  It's pretty obvious that a lot of those nimrods couldn't hit me if they tried.  I'm much more worried that some fuckstick who obviously doesn't know what he is doing is going to accidently shoot me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not that worried about most of those morons killing me intentionally.  It's pretty obvious that a lot of those nimrods couldn't hit me if they tried.  I'm much more worried that some fuckstick who obviously doesn't know what he is doing is going to accidently shoot me.

I'm a lot more apt to fly into a rage seeing some chuckle-fuck driving and texting than some larper signaling on the weekend. 

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Don’t stand still.  Keep moving in irregular patterns. 

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

I don’t hunt with a pistol.  I carry a pistol with me when I hunt and complete manly chores while on the property.  The pistol is carried for dispatching wounded deer and pigs, snared dogs and such.  

Additionally, the pistol is useful for being out in the brush while unwanted humans are trespassing by coming up out of the boundaries of the river bed where it is legal for them to hunt.  They are typically armed. Some make honest mistakes while others know they are trespassing and don’t care one bit that they are on someone else’s property.   We have had issues with a group of hogdoggers running on our joint in the middle of the night and in broad daylight.  They seem to think they can go anywhere they want if their dogs go first and then claim a right to retrieve the dog. 

I do not leave unattended rifles in my truck.  

Yeah, I get that a pistol is useful for a coup-de-gras, and a hell of a lot better than a bolt gun when dealing with hogs at close range.   But what I was getting at was the idea of leaving the rifle in the truck but not the pistol when going inside.   I usually grab a coffee at 4 AM when I am off to my spot, and both the rifle and pistol stay in the truck.  I could not imagine the reception I would get if I did otherwise.  Especially with mask wearing, and on a cold morning when I have on a hoodie.  

Seems odd to me not to plan ahead and have to carry a firearm or two.  I often hunt with a friend, in that case, one of us stays in the truck with the firearms.   

11 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Yeah, I get that a pistol is useful for a coup-de-gras, and a hell of a lot better than a bolt gun when dealing with hogs at close range.   But what I was getting at was the idea of leaving the rifle in the truck but not the pistol when going inside.   I usually grab a coffee at 4 AM when I am off to my spot, and both the rifle and pistol stay in the truck.  I could not imagine the reception I would get if I did otherwise.  Especially with mask wearing, and on a cold morning when I have on a hoodie.  

Seems odd to me not to plan ahead and have to carry a firearm or two.  I often hunt with a friend, in that case, one of us stays in the truck with the firearms.   

I agree with you regarding leaving someone in the vehicle to safeguard firearms while another goes inside.  

When there’s heroing to be done someone has got to hold the horses. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

In your younger days the gun homicide rate was a lot higher than it is today.  You just don't like those people. They are zero threat to you.  You just don't like them as people.  

I feel the same way about most people in academia outside of STEM.  They are not threat to me. But I cannot stand them as people and think they're fucking worthless. 

I am a STEM guy who feels that way about lawyers.   

But Kyle Rittenhouse is one of those guys, born and bred in a family of those types.  Those types tried to overthrow our country, murder the sitting Vice President of the United States of America, and a host of other politicians, and they did murder a cop, and harmed several others.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  The days of the rifle in the gun rack are over for this very reason - they are arguably the #1 snatch-and-grab burglary item and these seems less compunction to pop out a window than in days past.  

The days might be over to seeing them everywhere but small towns.  And I knew plenty of fuckheads that kept guns (pistols) in their cars on the regular.  

I leave mine temporarily.  When I go to the shooting range, I leave my rifle in my vehicle.  I don't bring them in, and they generally do not want me to either.   Fumblefucking around with a pelican case, and paper, and a pistol case, and ammo isn't my idea of starting off right.  

Edited by Nivek

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

hunting with rifles and sights is for pussies and people with small peckers.

How old are you?  My eyes are not as good as they used to be and I like a clean kill.     

I suppose after you strangle a grizzley to death with your bare hands you just field dress it with you nails and teeth since you don't need some wimpy ass knife.   

• Hook 'Em 2

Think about how dumb the average Texan is.  Now realize that half of Texas is even dumber than that.  (Thank you Mr. Carlin).  

Now allow that dumber half to arm themselves with no oversight or training? Not saying it's good, bad, or indifferent.  Just odd.

I get appealing to religious zealotry in Texas.  It's baked into our DNA.  

I get appealing to traditional values in Texas.  It got us through a lot of rough periods.

I get appealing to fear and envy in Texas.  It works in every other corner of humanity.  

I get appealing to the pocketbooks of Texas.  We're an industrious folk who enjoy the fruits of our labor. 

I get appealing to desire for limited government in Texas.  For the most part, we operate pretty well on our own down here.

I get appealing to love of liberty in Texas.  It's been woven into the fabric of this state before it was a state.  

What I just don't fucking get is appealing to Stupid.  Why is this the thing now?  Nobody worth a shit was clamoring for unabated open carry of pistols.  I know Stupid protests.  I know Stupid even votes.  But Big Stupid doesn't lobby.  Big Stupid doesn't fundraise.  Big Stupid doesn't bundle.  Big Stupid doesn't control primary elections.  Big Stupid doesn't write op-eds, nor astroturf movements, or manipulate messaging.  Big Stupid doesn't remember who wronged them at the ballot box.  Big Stupid doesn't litigate passed bills.  Big Stupid doesn't understand how the three branches work off one another and insert themselves when appropriate.  Big Stupid couldn't actually follow through with a corporate boycott if you drove them to the competitor's store and gave them a gift card for it.  We're passing laws so the bottom 30% of our graduating class in middle school can feel like they have a seat at the table? 

I'm fine with the bill, I'll probably buy another handgun on which to get my wife some training.  But it was unnecessary and just another bone to throw to Big Stupid so they'll forget about Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Tech, Big Banks, the real shit that controls their lives.  If a weapon on the hip makes 'em feel like they actually have freedom, I guess we have to do that to keep them in line.  Just seems like we're going through a whole bunch of hoops to make a small minority feel like they matter.  Couldn't we organize some carnivals or some shit instead to distract them?  Everybody loves fireworks.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Now allow that dumber half to arm themselves with no oversight or training? Not saying it's good, bad, or indifferent.  Just odd.

LTC classes don't teach you jack squat.  If you can fog a mirror, you pass the class.  It's a joke.  It's devolved into a money-making scheme with institution and facilitators trying to sell crap to the class (usually insurance).  It's a giant waste of time.  The only real benefit is the background, allowing you to purchase firearms faster.  

We have data from 21 other states that have the same law that illustrate that personal responsibility by the carrier is the norm, and not the exception.  We're not exactly in unchartered waters here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Good point on the money grab.  I do know about the 21 other states.  I fear they have as many stupid people as we do.  I don't think mass violence is gonna come from this.  It was more of a macro question about these sweeping laws that only materially impact a few people, but "appeal" to a much broader base of people.  And I can't figure out why we need to make that appeal.  They weren't really demanding shit like this.  It's just meat to throw them for some other purpose?  

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Abortion for another thread, but the carry is just Texas joining 20+ existing states that have the same law.  Not sure how VT got this passed.  Wild.  

1. Maine
  2. Vermont
  3. New Hampshire
  4. West Virginia
  5. Kentucky
  6. Tennessee
  7. Mississippi
  8. Arkansas
  9. Oklahoma
  10. Missouri
  11. Iowa
  12. North Dakota
  13. South Dakota
  14. Kansas
  15. Arizona
  16. Utah
  17. Wyoming
  18. Montana
  19. Idaho
  20. Utah
  21. Alaska

You don't know much about VT.  It's redneck as fuck.  "I'm Larry, this is my brother Darrel, this is my other brother Darrel".  Check out Bernie Sander's voting record on gun issues. 

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

You cannot stand the people that taught you your chosen profession?  Strange. 

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Good point on the money grab.  I do know about the 21 other states.  I fear they have as many stupid people as we do.  I don't think mass violence is gonna come from this.  It was more of a macro question about these sweeping laws that only materially impact a few people, but "appeal" to a much broader base of people.  And I can't figure out why we need to make that appeal.  They weren't really demanding shit like this.  It's just meat to throw them for some other purpose?  

There's been a quiet push for this for a while now.  Some license and class requirements can be $200+.  That's tough for many families when you factor in the cost of the pistol, ammo, a holster, and range time.  This will be a significant savings in time and money.  If you work an hourly job, getting a whole day (or two) off on the weekend is not an insignificant barrier either.  

The only "requirements" on the range are laughable 

• 3 yards 20 rounds fired- 100 pts
  • 7 yards 20 rounds fired- 100 pts
  • 15 yards 10 rounds fired- 50 pts

Now the state passing is 175 out of possible 250. So at 9 and 21 feet you have to mange 70% even if you blow the 45ft and shoot other targets at 21 ft.  I've seen people hit the wrong target on the extended range, but obviously still pass as 3 and 7 yards is pretty close.  At the end of the day, had this never been posted or notice of the bill gone out, I would bet dollars to donuts nobody would notice a thing.  It's a big nothing burger that just gets rid of grift and red tape and has dozens of supporting data from other states ahead of us.

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

You don't know much about VT.  It's redneck as fuck.  "I'm Larry, this is my brother Darrel, this is my other brother Darrel".  Check out Bernie Sander's voting record on gun issues. 

It's apparently NEVER had license requirements?  Hadn't known that? 

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

How old are you?  My eyes are not as good as they used to be and I like a clean kill.     

I suppose after you strangle a grizzley to death with your bare hands you just field dress it with you nails and teeth since you don't need some wimpy ass knife.   

I usually just stare down the grizzlies and they field dress themselves.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, deadshank said:

Meh.  I don't plan to open carry.  I may carry concealed again.  Going about one's daily business in the city while OCing seems a little odd. 

What do you think about guys like me that carry a pistol while on the deer lease and then need to go into town to pick up deer corn and protein and still having a pistol on your hip?  The pistol is there not because you're afraid of the bogeyman at the feed store but it just happens to be on your hip and you get out to pay for and load your stuff onto a trailer.

You bring up a good point. I remember another poster doing a better job of explaining the dichotomy, but in reality, we live in two different Americas. Rural v Urban. The lifestyle and situation you described is normal and one would want a pistol. Most people would think that is necessary and good. The flip side of the coin is Johnny Badass carrying his AR-15 into the local McDonalds in Austin because he likes to cosplay and of course if someone steps to him. I don’t have the answer, just point out the the different worlds 

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You bring up a good point. I remember another poster doing a better job of explaining the dichotomy, but in reality, we live in two different Americas. Rural v Urban. The lifestyle and situation you described is normal and one would want a pistol. Most people would think that is necessary and good. The flip side of the coin is Johnny Badass carrying his AR-15 into the local McDonalds in Austin because he likes to cosplay and of course if someone steps to him. I don’t have the answer, just point out the the different worlds 

Those guys just want attention.   

33 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The flip side of the coin is Johnny Badass carrying his AR-15 into the local McDonalds in Austin because he likes to cosplay and of course if someone steps to him. I don’t have the answer, just point out the the different worlds 

28 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Those guys just want attention.   

They absolutely want attention.  I knew one of those guys a few years ago - he was a friend of a friend and we allowed him to join our board game night, because he was very reliable. For some reason, he felt the need to start bringing a sidearm around to those nights, knowing that a bunch of people would be there, including 3-4 kids.  People got pissed that he did it a couple of times (we were in very nice neighborhoods and he was a fucking developer at Dell, which is where he was coming from on Friday nights), and every time he had to make a fucking show of pulling it out and asking if he could put it in a cabinet or something, and he insisted on sitting in corners, because reasons.  He got himself invited out of board game night.

I'm not worried about him snapping or anything, but I'm worried about him fucking around and somebody else finding out, because there was just a need of some kind for him to have it around all the time, and he has two young kids in the house.  I doubt they are being trained properly, based on his own actions/comments

Ironically, I can see him probably getting nervous if a bunch of people around him started open carrying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Think about how dumb the average Texan is.  Now realize that half of Texas is even dumber than that.  (Thank you Mr. Carlin).  

I get appealing to religious zealotry in Texas.  It's baked into our DNA.  

I get appealing to traditional values in Texas.  It got us through a lot of rough periods.

I get appealing to fear and envy in Texas.  It works in every other corner of humanity.  

I get appealing to the pocketbooks of Texas.  We're an industrious folk who enjoy the fruits of our labor. 

I get appealing to desire for limited government in Texas.  For the most part, we operate pretty well on our own down here.

I get appealing to love of liberty in Texas.  It's been woven into the fabric of this state before it was a state.  

What I just don't fucking get is appealing to Stupid.  Why is this the thing now?  Nobody worth a shit was clamoring for unabated open carry of pistols.  I know Stupid protests.  I know Stupid even votes.  But Big Stupid doesn't lobby.  Big Stupid doesn't fundraise.  Big Stupid doesn't bundle.  Big Stupid doesn't control primary elections.  Big Stupid doesn't write op-eds, nor astroturf movements, or manipulate messaging.  Big Stupid doesn't remember who wronged them at the ballot box.  Big Stupid doesn't litigate passed bills.  Big Stupid doesn't understand how the three branches work off one another and insert themselves when appropriate.  Big Stupid couldn't actually follow through with a corporate boycott if you drove them to the competitor's store and gave them a gift card for it.  We're passing laws so the bottom 30% of our graduating class in middle school can feel like they have a seat at the table? 

I'm fine with the bill, I'll probably buy another handgun on which to get my wife some training.  But it was unnecessary and just another bone to throw to Big Stupid so they'll forget about Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Tech, Big Banks, the real shit that controls their lives.  If a weapon on the hip makes 'em feel like they actually have freedom, I guess we have to do that to keep them in line.  Just seems like we're going through a whole bunch of hoops to make a small minority feel like they matter.  Couldn't we organize some carnivals or some shit instead to distract them?  Everybody loves fireworks.  

Why don't you do us all a favor and hire an editor, since you're so smart and all.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

There's been a quiet push for this for a while now.  Some license and class requirements can be $200+.  That's tough for many families when you factor in the cost of the pistol, ammo, a holster, and range time.  This will be a significant savings in time and money.  If you work an hourly job, getting a whole day (or two) off on the weekend is not an insignificant barrier either.  

The only "requirements" on the range are laughable 

• 3 yards 20 rounds fired- 100 pts
  • 7 yards 20 rounds fired- 100 pts
  • 15 yards 10 rounds fired- 50 pts

Now the state passing is 175 out of possible 250. So at 9 and 21 feet you have to mange 70% even if you blow the 45ft and shoot other targets at 21 ft.  I've seen people hit the wrong target on the extended range, but obviously still pass as 3 and 7 yards is pretty close.  At the end of the day, had this never been posted or notice of the bill gone out, I would bet dollars to donuts nobody would notice a thing.  It's a big nothing burger that just gets rid of grift and red tape and has dozens of supporting data from other states ahead of us.

I put all 50 rounds in the 10 ring, the last time I requalified. #humblebrag

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Not that I've seen. I think that's the rub.  You either exclude all or none.  I stand to be corrected but I haven't seen where its permissible to allow someone who has a permit, but exclude someone else who is otherwise permitted by this law.

They can however prohibit open carry, but allow concealed carry, so yet another sign.  Sign companies making out like bandits now.

Unless they have changed the 30.06 and 30.07 signs, those apply to LTC holders. A general sign saying no guns would only apply to non LTC holders under the 30.05 statutes. Presumably, a 30.06 or 30.07 sign with a ghostbusters circle and slash over a gun would meet the requirements for both.

11 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Hell, I did this, but that was years ago.  Different times.  Rumor's were that when Oswald was in the tower, it was hunters with scoped rifles that helped keep his head down when people were being rescued and treated.  

5lqibc.jpg

They absolutely want attention.  I knew one of those guys a few years ago - he was a friend of a friend and we allowed him to join our board game night, because he was very reliable. For some reason, he felt the need to start bringing a sidearm around to those nights, knowing that a bunch of people would be there, including 3-4 kids.  People got pissed that he did it a couple of times (we were in very nice neighborhoods and he was a fucking developer at Dell, which is where he was coming from on Friday nights), and every time he had to make a fucking show of pulling it out and asking if he could put it in a cabinet or something, and he insisted on sitting in corners, because reasons.  He got himself invited out of board game night.
I'm not worried about him snapping or anything, but I'm worried about him fucking around and somebody else finding out, because there was just a need of some kind for him to have it around all the time, and he has two young kids in the house.  I doubt they are being trained properly, based on his own actions/comments
Ironically, I can see him probably getting nervous if a bunch of people around him started open carrying.

Ha. My brother did this with his revolver. Would walk to the car drive to our parents’ house and carry it, then make a show of trying to be subtle as he put his gun and holster away. I asked why he carries that around and he responded about never being too careful. He lives in S. Florida not Juarez. Then i asked him about how often people were trying to car jack 12 yr old minivans from a defunct automaker. He just smiled. Cosplay it really is.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

This is pure projection. 

You clearly are baffled by this concept. One doesn't project onto oneself, at least in psychology terms.

I state what I don't like. You say I'm projecting. Go back and study whatever post of yours that I used the term "pure projection." In it, you are likely attributing traits to me or someone else that are actually traits or habits of your own.

You're welcome.

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

You cannot stand the people that taught you your chosen profession?  Strange. 

Why is strange to dislike smug eggheaded nerds who happen to be very good at one thing and pretty much idiots in every other thing?  I wouldn't want to spend 5 seconds around any of my law professors other than the adjuncts I had, some practicing lawyers and one bankruptcy judge who were normal.  

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This is basically how I picture Texas now

spacer.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

That's exactly how it is.  Please make sure that all of your fellow Californians understand this before they make their plans to move here.  I'm about to go outside and fire off a few rounds to kick of the weekend. 

Starbucks was a mother fucker this morning

W8Ppdba6idusrxGCpSwfuvEsKuuUh0-fSxlpkQwb

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why is strange to dislike smug eggheaded nerds who happen to be very good at one thing and pretty much idiots in every other thing?  I wouldn't want to spend 5 seconds around any of my law professors other than the adjuncts I had, some practicing lawyers and one bankruptcy judge who were normal.  

Well, I have stated before you have good taste in BBQ and handguns.  But on basically everything else, see the underlined section above.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Well, I have stated before you have good taste in BBQ and handguns.  But on basically everything else, see the underlined section above.

No big deal.  Everyone is different.  I know exactly who I like spending my time with, and it isn't dorky white liberal professors (every single one of my law professors at Texas was white as a snow bank). I doubt they would like doing much of anything I enjoy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

No big deal.  Everyone is different.  I know exactly who I like spending my time with, and it isn't dorky white liberal professors (every single one of my law professors at Texas was white as a snow bank). I doubt they would like doing much of anything I enjoy.  

you enjoy pickup basketball games, going to hip-hop festivals and low-rider car shows?  That explains it.   Dorky white guys hate things like that.