“Not a rivalry”

Tex Pete

34 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You don't get it, Texas does not and will never care about Arkansas. Its not a fucking rivalry anymore they are irrelevant and have been for 30 years, I don't give two shits about how their fans feel and no shit they care about beating us its all they fucking have. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have been prepared and it doesn't excuse the performance but the condescending bullshit attitude of old people "back in my day we treated them like a rival" is fucking irrelevant. "Oh if only we had treated them like a rival we would have won", it wouldn't have mattered how much we hated Arkansas yesterday they still would have kicked our ass. Texas needs to get better players and coach better and then it won't matter how much people hate us we'll beat them and then they will hate us more.

Don't tell me I don't get it. I played against the fucking pigs in Fayettenam. I understand completely. Quit being a jerk. WE are their rival and that's how they will always play against us. They played their best game of the year against us and they always will. You're the one that doesn't get it. The old people in Texas may not care but the olds in Arkansas hate us with every fiber in their body.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, ARKFAN said:

Yeah, all players are too young to know unless informed. Pitt spent time with team explaining how important to Arkansas fans the game was. Even showed film of the 1969 game. 

Clearly that gave Arkansas an edge. 

I don't believe the performance of Texas was indicative of the quality of your team. Get the offensive line play up to just average and ya'll would be a totally different and much better team, IMO. You've got one of the absolute top RB in the country. 

I believe many of ya'll underestimate Arkansas based on our recent embarrassing seasons and underestimate the potential of this year's Longhorns. 

Just win next week, beat OU and the world will seem right again.

Case in point: This asshole hates Texas so much he's even trying to Stockholm syndrome us. Good game, get fucked, see you next year when we'll be carrying shanks, Porky Pig.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Don't tell me I don't get it. I played against the fucking pigs in Fayettenam. I understand completely. Quit being a jerk. WE are their rival and that's how they will always play against us. They played their best game of the year against us and they always will. You're the one that doesn't get it. The old people in Texas may not care but the olds in Arkansas hate us with every fiber in their body.

What exactly are we arguing here, I agree with you that Arkansas hates us

I assume you're referring to me. I posted a straightforward comment, no ill intent. If we had lost I would have congratulated you. 

I posted on the game thread at halftime that I wish I could be as confident as you guys were negative because I have seen Texas come from behind enough times against us that I had no level of confidence that it wouldn't happen again. 

I don't hate the Longhorns nor the state of Texas. Want to beat you? Absolutely. Respect the program? Absolutely, since the sixties.

If this makes me an asshole, fine.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ARKFAN said:

I assume you're referring to me. I posted a straightforward comment, no ill intent. If we had lost I would have congratulated you. 

I posted on the game thread at halftime that I wish I could be as confident as you guys were negative because I have seen Texas come from behind enough times against us that I had no level of confidence that it wouldn't happen again. 

I don't hate the Longhorns nor the state of Texas. Want to beat you? Absolutely. Respect the program? Absolutely, since the sixties.

Having lurked on this site and previous iterations far longer than my post count would indicate, my experience has been that reasoned speech and good sportsmanship are rare commodities, so my intention was to express my doubts as to your sincerity with a little good natured ribbing for your pleasure. "Asshole", on this site, is a replacement noun which can be used to describe any person place or thing interchangeably with the actual word. Ex: "Honey, I'm parched. Could you toss me a cold asshole from the fridge?"  So, pos rep and no offense intended, dickweed. I wish the best to your and your porcine family.  If you feel the need to respond that you are not a dickweed, point taken and might I suggest you try a new website called PoliteHorns.com---not very popular but just now getting off the ground.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, ARKFAN said:

No offense but, go fuck yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tigersnake said:

Having lurked on this site and previous iterations far longer than my post count would indicate, my experience has been that reasoned speech and good sportsmanship are rare commodities, so my intention was to express my doubts as to your sincerity with a little good natured ribbing for your pleasure. "Asshole", on this site, is a replacement noun which can be used to describe any person place or thing interchangeably with the actual word. Ex: "Honey, I'm parched. Could you toss me a cold asshole from the fridge?"  So, pos rep and no offense intended, dickweed. I wish the best to your and your porcine family.  If you feel the need to respond that you are not a dickweed, point taken and might I suggest you try a new website called PoliteHorns.com---not very popular but just now getting off the ground.

Duly noted. 

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

What exactly are we arguing here, I agree with you that Arkansas hates us

I think the main point of the OP was that coming into this there was clearly a failure by coaches and even most of the fans on this site to recognize how much the arky hatred of us would impact this game and to prepare players for it and have a game plan that could handle it.

Edited by nunna yo bizness
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think one thing Texans fail to realize about Arkansas football is that it is the biggest/only game in the state.

Most of the time, when we acknowledge this, we think that it delivers them piles of toothless hillbilly tshirt fans that never set foot in a classroom in Fayetteville, or even Little Rock.  Which it does.

But it also gives them more opportunity to obsess over events that we would consider ancient history.  Granted, any team of 18-22 year olds mostly from out of state are going to have to be educated on the rivalry.  But it's not just the olds and the superfans that continue to nurture a burning rivalry against Texas.

15 hours ago, Had Enough said:

But they were so shitty it hurt our strength of schedule which was a factor in us not making the Big 12 championship game and national title.

Wow, you're right. Even when we beat Arky, they go 5-7 in an attempt to fuck us over.

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I find it funny how people think because players and students are a certain age and coaches were not apart of it back then, this makes it now not a rivalry? Lmao. Like this shit can not be researched? This shit can't be passed down to them from former fans and coaches what this game means?

Sark is a fucking moron. My buddy lives in Arkansas and he said the week leading up to the game was very hyped for the people over there. It meant something. They were not a faceless opponent. 

You're not wrong. While I only know a handful of people from Arkansas or graduates of their university, they spent the whole week posting beat Texas shit on FB. I haven't seen that when the pigs play LSU, Auburn, Mizzou, etc.

Edited by n64ra
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2021 at 7:49 AM, troph said:

This isn’t true for old timers. I grew up knowing three rivals, OU, A&M and Arkansas. Young fans say only one, it’s simply not true. 

Not an old timer, but I know a rivalry when I see one. Arkansas had already left the SWC when I was a kid, but growing up in the 90s my dad and his fellow Texas Exes friends told me all about the hogs rivalry. Even when I was a kid hate for Arky was just as great(IF NOT GREATER THAN) as hate for OU and aggy.  

• Hook 'Em 5

16 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

We don't have that kind of fanbase, our loud fans come in the form or fratboy douche bags at best. How many blue collar redneck hillbillys do you think go to Texas

70% of that Arkansas crowd didn't go to Arkansas. Around here, we do lack the type of fan who has nothing positive going on in their life so they latch on to a football team.  Oh wait. We do, they're Cowboys fans though.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Not an old timer, but I know a rivalry when I see one. Arkansas had already left the SWC when I was a kid, but growing up in the 90s my dad and his fellow Texas Exes friends told me all about the hogs rivalry. Even when I was a kid hate for Arky was just as great(IF NOT GREATER THAN) as hate for OU and aggy.  

this guy gets it.  their side of the rivalry is based on pure hatred.  our side is based on realizing that they are coming at us hard and have the ability to play legit spoiler in any given year, but that also turns to hate.  walking into Fayetteville without a sober realization that these fuckers are out for blood is a sure fire way to get your ass handed to you.  it has *always* been that way.  the difference between the last 15 years and the long history is that we played them every year and DKR, Akers, McWilliams all knew who Arkansas was and what it took to win.  I don't give a fuck about recruiting, they will play several levels above themselves against Texas.  always have, always will.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I was in HS when Arkie left the SWC, and I had only been to Texas games a handful of times. I knew it was a rivalry, but we had mostly sucked in the mid to late '80s. Playing them in 2000 and 2003 was more than a wakeup call to most of us that the state of Arkansas had not forgotten about us. Going to the game in Fayettville in 2004 was an awesome experience for the excitement and the hatred. We definitely did not feel comfortable there, but we broke their hearts that night.

It's a shame no one warned our coaches and team about it.  I am guessing they'll remember this next time. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ARKFAN said:

Could you stop being so reasonable and friendly, please?  

I don't know where this "Arkansas is not a rival" bullshit came from.  Fuck yeah they are.  Before they left the conference our rivals were:

#1A Oklahoma

#1B Arkansas

#2 Nobody.  Maybe aggi but like I said, nobody.

*However, everyone and I mean everyone triple circles their game with Texas.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:32 AM, Tommyd said:

Correct me I'm wrong. The last time that goal posts were torn down at Fayetteville was when #1 Texas was beaten. This means more than just a game for Hog fans. 

Last time the goal posts came down in Razorback Stadium was in 1999, when the Hogs beat defending National Champions Tennessee in a rematch of the game the year before, where Arkansas had those Champions dead to rights before the infamous fumble by Clint Stoerner while Arkansas was trying to run the clock out.  For younger Arkansas fans, that is the worst loss ever (they don't remember the Big Shootout loss to Texas first hand).  Next year (99) in Fayetteville, Hogs beat the Vols by the exact same score (28-24) they lost to them by the year before.

Not that you really care...but since you asked.  Since that game, the retractile goal posts have been installed and - as was the case Saturday - they are lowered as soon as the game is over, if need be.

• Fuck You 4

34 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
46 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:
Texas doesn't have rivals, we just have teams that we like to talk about how much we don't think about them.

Exactly. And this mindset goes to the coaches as well. We feel we are above having a real rival and above every other program out there.

Money will do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wizard-of-hogz said:

Not that you really care...but since you asked.  Since that game, the retractile goal posts have been installed and - as was the case Saturday - they are lowered as soon as the game is over, if need be.

For some reason I googled retractile goal post and this was the 4th entry.

image.png.d384b835d4aff6b01617de7c32917f81.png

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2021 at 1:45 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I used to travel Arkansas for business in a past life (mid 80s-early 90s), and I quickly learned to never schedule a trip during October. Win or lose, Razorbacks were rabid about this rivalry. You have to experience it to believe it. I absolutely enjoyed going there the rest of the year, and their fans made for fun banter. They were very respectful of UT except during the full moon of October.

None of the current players have first hand knowledge of the rivalry, but the players from Arkansas were still baptized in it. The rest had to have been swept up in the fever of this game which resulted in an all-time record crowd. It’s Texas Week to them, bigger than Bama, and you know it was palpable.

I expected they would be psyched out of their skulls for this game. I just wasn’t sure if it would result in them playing lights out or tearing asunder.

Very few people associated with Texas football — from the AD to the coaches and players — have personally experienced this rivalry, but now maybe they understand it.

It’s gonna be funner than playing damn aggy. 

Finally, someone who gets it and knows what he is talking about.  Every word of this post is 100% true.

The older Hog fans have never let their hate for all things Longhorn wane, even as a new generation of Razorback supporter is more interested in beating LSU, Ole MIss, Bama, etc.  As you point out, they never lived it back in the day.

But, when Texas comes on the schedule, there are enough of us old heads around that the younger folks cannot help but be swept up in the tsunami of emotion that swells up and circulates around the state.  It's infectious and even though I'm not sure the players understand what has engulfed them, they tend to respond positively to it.

The difference these days is that the team is not intimidated or "scared" of Texas.  Sure, everyone knows Texas for the premium brand that it is.  But when you've played Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, etc. - at their place as well as yours - there's really no one else out there that brings a "wow" factor in terms of intimidation.  Used to be (and the poster I'm replying to will confirm this) that even when Arkansas had BETTER teams (and, there absolutely were such seasons), they'd often get SO worked up about this game that they just played poorly in it.  They put too much pressure on themselves.  Since we've joined the SEC, I no longer see that when the Hogs play Texas.

I'm so glad that Texas is finally going to come over to the SEC and this rivalry - and, make no mistake, it was and will be a "rivalry" - will be renewed.  Yes, I am fully aware of the other rivalries Texas has with OU and Aggie.  But during the Broyles and Royal era, this game was ahead of those, and I have confirmed it with many Longhorns from that era.  The reason was simple - Arkansas was clearly better than either OU or Aggie in that period, and posed the bigger threat.  Time will tell what kind of "threat" Arkansas is going forward.  But as they demonstrated Saturday night, the program has the fan support, facilities and overall resources to compete on a high level.  And now - finally - it seems they have the right coach to marshal all of those resources.  

In any event, I'm also glad this series will be renewed while there are still enough old heads around that the old feelings can be directly passed down to this current generation.  Once the games resume, it will take on it's own life and endure when the rest of us are no longer around.  And that's a good thing for College Football.  Great, traditional rivalry games are the lifeblood of College Football, and too many of them have been lost due to conference re-shuffling (this one, OU-Nebraska, Texas-Aggie, etc.).  

Hate on me all you want...that's fine.  But these will be memorable games for years to come.  And if the Texas fans who went to Fayetteville are honest with you, they'll admit they look forward to that same game atmosphere coming to Austin.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

49 minutes ago, 1bigtx said:

I don't know where this "Arkansas is not a rival" bullshit came from.  Fuck yeah they are.  Before they left the conference our rivals were:

#1A Oklahoma

#1B Arkansas

#2 Nobody.  Maybe aggi but like I said, nobody.

*However, everyone and I mean everyone triple circles their game with Texas.

yeah you're wrong.  A&M is a rival. don't act like a moran it's unbecoming.

3 minutes ago, Wizard-of-hogz said:

Finally, someone who gets it and knows what he is talking about.  Every word of this post is 100% true.

The older Hog fans have never let their hate for all things Longhorn wane, even as a new generation of Razorback supporter is more interested in beating LSU, Ole MIss, Bama, etc.  As you point out, they never lived it back in the day.

But, when Texas comes on the schedule, there are enough of us old heads around that the younger folks cannot help but be swept up in the tsunami of emotion that swells up and circulates around the state.  It's infectious and even though I'm not sure the players understand what has engulfed them, they tend to respond positively to it.

The difference these days is that the team is not intimidated or "scared" of Texas.  Sure, everyone knows Texas for the premium brand that it is.  But when you've played Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, etc. - at their place as well as yours - there's really no one else out there that brings a "wow" factor in terms of intimidation.  Used to be (and the poster I'm replying to will confirm this) that even when Arkansas had BETTER teams (and, there absolutely were such seasons), they'd often get SO worked up about this game that they just played poorly in it.  They put too much pressure on themselves.  Since we've joined the SEC, I no longer see that when the Hogs play Texas.

I'm so glad that Texas is finally going to come over to the SEC and this rivalry - and, make no mistake, it was and will be a "rivalry" - will be renewed.  Yes, I am fully aware of the other rivalries Texas has with OU and Aggie.  But during the Broyles and Royal era, this game was ahead of those, and I have confirmed it with many Longhorns from that era.  The reason was simple - Arkansas was clearly better than either OU or Aggie in that period, and posed the bigger threat.  Time will tell what kind of "threat" Arkansas is going forward.  But as they demonstrated Saturday night, the program has the fan support, facilities and overall resources to compete on a high level.  And now - finally - it seems they have the right coach to marshal all of those resources.  

In any event, I'm also glad this series will be renewed while there are still enough old heads around that the old feelings can be directly passed down to this current generation.  Once the games resume, it will take on it's own life and endure when the rest of us are no longer around.  And that's a good thing for College Football.  Great, traditional rivalry games are the lifeblood of College Football, and too many of them have been lost due to conference re-shuffling (this one, OU-Nebraska, Texas-Aggie, etc.).  

Hate on me all you want...that's fine.  But these will be memorable games for years to come.  And if the Texas fans who went to Fayetteville are honest with you, they'll admit they look forward to that same game atmosphere coming to Austin.

stop with this finally bullshit pig.  I hate your team's guts.  anyone here over 45 gets it.  problem is the internet is for the youngs.  they are still inexperienced, naive dumbnuts that think old people don't know what they are talking about. but boomer my ass, I'm not that old, I'm 46 (not Mike Gundy and not a man) and hate Arkansas like I should.  now go wallow in slop.

ps - welcome to shaggy. if you can tolerate the assholery it's a great site with a lot of permanent residents who enjoy our non-football discourse.

• Hook 'Em 1

and by the way, the most annoying thing about Arkansas fans?  They play this logic game where when they lose, they are supposed to and when they win, it's because of heart and guts and all that shit.  they feel entitled to run Texas down unless Texas wins like Bama every year.  Lot's of "well with your resources and recruiting" blah blah blah. they won't ever play this game straight up.  get used to it.  beating Arkansas won't count for shit and losing to them is infuriating.  It's like A&M but replace the repressed homosexuality (ain't nothing wrong with being gay, it's the repressed part that's wrong) with fuck your cousin incest (there is something wrong with that).

13 minutes ago, Wizard-of-hogz said:

Used to be (and the poster I'm replying to will confirm this) that even when Arkansas had BETTER teams (and, there absolutely were such seasons), they'd often get SO worked up about this game that they just played poorly in it.  They put too much pressure on themselves.  Since we've joined the SEC, I no longer see that when the Hogs play Texas.

Which is in part because the fucktards surrounding our program continue to dismiss the rivalry talk and look at Arkansas as a "faceless opponent."

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, troph said:

yeah you're wrong.  A&M is a rival. don't act like a moran it's unbecoming.

I get what he's saying. To the older set, aggy was just another team we regularly beat the shit out of. That changed from the mid-80s moving forward, but for those fans, the perception was already set. It is similar to how the younger fans don't understand Arkansas as a rival. 

Bill Little or someone like that should be brought in to explain rivalries. How we continue to be dismissive of emotion and rivalry in an emotional sport is mind boggling. You can say that emotion and/or aderenaline will only carry a team so far, but Saturday night should disabuse people of that notion.

Arkansas stomped a mudhole in our asses. They made us a laughingstock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I get what he's saying. To the older set, aggy was just another team we regularly beat the shit out of. That changed from the mid-80s moving forward, but for those fans, the perception was already set. It is similar to how the younger fans don't understand Arkansas as a rival. 

Bill Little or someone like that should be brought in to explain rivalries. How we continue to be dismissive of emotion and rivalry in an emotional sport is mind boggling. You can say that emotion and/or aderenaline will only carry a team so far, but Saturday night should disabuse people of that notion.

Arkansas stomped a mudhole in our asses. They made us a laughingstock. 

Historical win loss is not indicative of rivalries.  A&M is our in state rival. OU is our cross border rival and Arkansas was another rival based on history, hatred, cross border, conference spoiler or at one time national equal. Historically we owned all 3.  

13 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

How we continue to be dismissive of emotion and rivalry in an emotional sport is mind boggling. You can say that emotion and/or aderenaline will only carry a team so far, but Saturday night should disabuse people of that notion.

This is 100% true.

19 minutes ago, troph said:

ps - welcome to shaggy. if you can tolerate the assholery it's a great site with a lot of permanent residents who enjoy our non-football discourse.

lol...it's too late for that, Troph...I waded in here and "let my hair down" after fielding some blistering attacks and seeing how folks act around here...and I shot back in similar kind.  I'm an older guy who typically posts more civilly (like this) and never like that...but I've got to admit, it's kind of liberating to take off the restrictions and tell someone to Fuck off instead of just think it...lol...Pretty sure 95% of your fellow Shaggy residents would just as soon never see/hear from me again.

But, I am very happy to have the series restored.  I lived those games in the Royal/Broyles era and there was not a better national rivalry in the country during that time.  Ohio State/Michigan, USC/UCLA, Oklahoma/Nebraska, Alabama/Auburn...none were better or impacted the National Championship picture on a more consistent basis that those games did.  People always go back to the 1969 game, and I understand why.  It had ALL the elements...100th year of College Football, #1 vs. #2, President in attendance, very last game of the season...it all set up perfectly...and then, it was a game for the ages as far as drama.  

But there were several other games that were just as dramatic and almost as important; they were just played in October instead of the last game of the year.  Several of those games were won with TD's or FG's in the final minutes of play, and the winner often went on to win the SWC and was in the National Championship race.  And frequently, a loss would send a team that was highly ranked coming into the game into a forgettable season...so much hinged on that game.

• Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Wizard-of-hogz said:

lol...it's too late for that, Troph...I waded in here and "let my hair down" after fielding some blistering attacks and seeing how folks act around here...and I shot back in similar kind.  I'm an older guy who typically posts more civilly (like this) and never like that...but I've got to admit, it's kind of liberating to take off the restrictions and tell someone to Fuck off instead of just think it...lol...Pretty sure 95% of your fellow Shaggy residents would just as soon never see/hear from me again.

But, I am very happy to have the series restored.  I lived those games in the Royal/Broyles era and there was not a better national rivalry in the country during that time.  Ohio State/Michigan, USC/UCLA, Oklahoma/Nebraska, Alabama/Auburn...none were better or impacted the National Championship picture on a more consistent basis that those games did.  People always go back to the 1969 game, and I understand why.  It had ALL the elements...100th year of College Football, #1 vs. #2, President in attendance, very last game of the season...it all set up perfectly...and then, it was a game for the ages as far as drama.  

But there were several other games that were just as dramatic and almost as important; they were just played in October instead of the last game of the year.  Several of those games were won with TD's or FG's in the final minutes of play, and the winner often went on to win the SWC and was in the National Championship race.  And frequently, a loss would send a team that was highly ranked coming into the game into a forgettable season...so much hinged on that game.

my over the top persona is just tongue in cheek.  this is a great board, one of the very best.  the asshole facade is really just a facade.  but it does require thick skin and I have been roughed up before here too, it's par for the course.  what makes it great though is folks actually stick around and contribute on all the boards so feel free to be a part of it all.  we've got several soonerfuckfans who post as regular contributors from doctors on the covid threads to ballers on the watch fanatic thread (might be the same guy).  anyway, all good contributors are welcome.  now go wallow in slop. 😉 

Bama grad here with close family who are also Bama grads and Auburn grads. UA vs AU is considered one of the most intense (and ugliest) rivalries in all of sports. We razz one another for a day or so following the game, but we move on quickly, because it's just a fucking game. Some of you folks are taking this shit way too seriously.

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

Bama grad here with close family who are also Bama grads and Auburn grads. UA vs AU is considered one of the most intense (and ugliest) rivalries in all of sports. We razz one another for a day or so following the game, but we move on quickly, because it's just a fucking game. Some of you folks are taking this shit way too seriously.

Go to the pig board and say that.