This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

7.5 seems the new minimum for a good coach. 

I think Josh Heupel makes around $5 million a year. He has 5 season as a head coach. Three of those seasons he has had double digit win totals. Is that better than Sark? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

And back to the topic, Sark will continue to be a middling coach until he stops calling the offense. He needs to manage the game and yell at the refs, and then we'll be rolling.

I was hoping he'd hire a superstar-caliber OC like Petrino, but I guess that dream is now dead.

• Haha 2

You guys are truly some weirdos. You can't just grab an OC. That OC has to have the same philosophy as you do or the marriage won't work. This is a totally different issue than what Jimbo is facing. Jimbo's problem is the game has passed him by, so ANYONE calling plays for him will be better. Except Jimbo will be meddling every step of the way. Lincoln Riley's problem is his defense. He has been carting Grinch around since 19. 

Texas' issue is they were largely one-dimensional. We had a few schematic plays Sark drew up that would create busts in coverage here or there, but no one catching a ball was making plays on their own. If you had to have someone step up the RB room was the only place you could look to get that. Our receivers didn't make any off script plays all season. That caused us to have to go on 12-14 play drives, which is a nail in the coffin to a young offense. Somewhere along that drive someone with little experience is going to lose concentration and a negative play will result that you cannot recover from. Going forward, no matter the playcaller, the players are going to have to start making big boy plays in order for this offense to turn the corner. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I don’t think I am a weirdo for wanting Sark to get an OC. He is part of a dying breed or diminishing group of HCs that are still the main play caller. There is a damn good reason for this. He’s never had one. As a HC he has not won a MNC or a CCG. He did it his way albeit (not sober) at USC and Washington. As an OC he was part of MNC teams. Big success there. He can’t be both. He won’t win dick doing things the same way he always done things. He’ll get what he’s always got. But in two years this conversation will be more clear when he’s GOT ALL HIS guys…and y’all will be making excuses cuz we are in the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t think I am a weirdo for wanting Sark to get an OC. He is part of a dying breed or diminishing group of HCs that are still the main play caller. There is a damn good reason for this. He’s never had one. As a HC he has not won a MNC or a CCG. He did it his way albeit (not sober) at USC and Washington. As an OC he was part of MNC teams. Big success there. He can’t be both. He won’t win dick doing things the same way he always done things. He’ll get what he’s always got. But in two years this conversation will be more clear when he’s GOT ALL HIS guys…and y’all will be making excuses cuz we are in the SEC. 

What’s your definition of “what he’s always got” applied to next season?

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Let's break down what we are asking for here. We want one of the best playcaller/designers in the game to hand the reigns over to someone far lesser than them at their craft? Playcalling is a feel thing. If a guy who gets brought in has to learn Sark's system he isn't going to be nearly as good in the moment. 

Now I know what Surly is going to say here, and that is Sark isn't good in the moment. What I will say to that is a lot of what Surly is seeing isn't always what the play was designed to do. We would be really good offensively if we didn't have so many errors in execution. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Let's break down what we are asking for here. We want one of the best playcaller/designers in the game to hand the reigns over to someone far lesser than them at their craft? Playcalling is a feel thing. If a guy who gets brought in has to learn Sark's system he isn't going to be nearly as good in the moment. 

Now I know what Surly is going to say here, and that is Sark isn't good in the moment. What I will say to that is a lot of what Surly is seeing isn't always what the play was designed to do. We would be really good offensively if we didn't have so many errors in execution. 

I get what you are saying but I mean whenever I lose at Madden I don’t blame myself either. It’s not my execution…lol.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Which is why I'd prefer Sarkisian as playcaller, but maybe another coach responsible for gameday management and to be a sanity check for tunnel vision issues.

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I get what you are saying but I mean whenever I lose at Madden I don’t blame myself either. It’s not my execution…lol.

If Sark has any blame its allowing guys who fail to step on the field. Guys are making dumb ass mistakes and just trotting back out there. For example, the throw up the right sideline to Worthy at the 3:20 mark of the vid below was a back shoulder throw. Defender is over the top so all Worthy has to do is slow down. Some of the runs we called didn't go where they were supposed to go because someone on the line missed their assignment causing them to pick somewhere else. For example, at the 1:51 mark of the 1st quarter we are running a play that has some wiggle room to the outside. However, Majors(65) and Campbell(52) are doubling a D-lineman, and Majors just lets a guy shoot the gap and blow the play up in the backfield. Now instead of 2nd and 5 its 2nd and 11 and you are behind the chains. 13:30 mark and 1st and 10. We just had a big play on the scramble and dump pass to Worthy. We run Outside Zone, a play that is wheelhouse for KRob to take advantage of his speed, and it hits for 11 yards. However, true freshman DJ Campbell allows himself to get separated from his man, instead of continuing to stay locked and driving him. He gets called for a hold. Now its 1st and 20. We go on to score anyway but you get the point. These are the plays that are killing us, not Sark's playcalling. 

22 min mark of the vid below. 

1st and 10 we get Krob loose for 15 on the rail route we love so much. We run it again and - false start. 

1st and 15 we call a pin and pull but instead of Sanders pinning his man he gets manhandled and ends up blowing up the play by running into the pulling lineman. 

2nd and 11 we get Worthy loose up the sideline-drop. 

3rd and 11- Worthy wide open up the seam-drop. 

This is the problem not the playcalling, and its been like that all year.

48 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Which is why I'd prefer Sarkisian as playcaller, but maybe another coach responsible for gameday management and to be a sanity check for tunnel vision issues.

agreed

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

If Sark has any blame its allowing guys who fail to step on the field. Guys are making dumb ass mistakes and just trotting back out there. For example, the throw up the right sideline to Worthy at the 3:20 mark of the vid below was a back shoulder throw. Defender is over the top so all Worthy has to do is slow down. Some of the runs we called didn't go where they were supposed to go because someone on the line missed their assignment causing them to pick somewhere else. For example, at the 1:51 mark of the 1st quarter we are running a play that has some wiggle room to the outside. However, Majors(65) and Campbell(52) are doubling a D-lineman, and Majors just lets a guy shoot the gap and blow the play up in the backfield. Now instead of 2nd and 5 its 2nd and 11 and you are behind the chains. 13:30 mark and 1st and 10. We just had a big play on the scramble and dump pass to Worthy. We run Outside Zone, a play that is wheelhouse for KRob to take advantage of his speed, and it hits for 11 yards. However, true freshman DJ Campbell allows himself to get separated from his man, instead of continuing to stay locked and driving him. He gets called for a hold. Now its 1st and 20. We go on to score anyway but you get the point. These are the plays that are killing us, not Sark's playcalling. 

22 min mark of the vid below. 

1st and 10 we get Krob loose for 15 on the rail route we love so much. We run it again and - false start. 

1st and 15 we call a pin and pull but instead of Sanders pinning his man he gets manhandled and ends up blowing up the play by running into the pulling lineman. 

2nd and 11 we get Worthy loose up the sideline-drop. 

3rd and 11- Worthy wide open up the seam-drop. 

This is the problem not the playcalling, and its been like that all year.

agreed

Agreed

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

I know where one of these (sans motor) is rotting away in a funeral home warehouse. Guy told me "I'm going to fix it up, not gonnna sell it". That was 12 years ago.

This was my life with fixer 1969 and 1970 GTOs until I just said screw it… “I’m going to fix it up myself” or they priced it as if it were a frame resto. 

I’d kill the guy who screwed up the one I had, but he’s already dead. 

I wonder how perception would change if basically the exact same plays were called but, say, a couple of passes weren’t dropped (offense and defense) and Texas gets out with a close win. “Yay, Ewers and Worthy really are on the same page!” or what. Not that it ultimately matters until those plays start going the right way, anyway. 

Back about '81 a guy offered to sell me a '67 Vette. White over blue convertible, factory side pipes, close ratio 4. IIRC it was 427 w/ 3-2 barrels. Needed paint and front suspension was making noise. Hate to think how much that one is worth right about now, but like most of life, I didn't need a project so I passed. Still, he let me drive it for the weekend and it was a blast. I think he wanted $2000.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

I’m not sure if sark is one of the best play callers.  He’s above average but just because he looked like a genius at Bama doesn’t mean he’s the best. Greg Davis looked like a genius with VY too, he’d probably look the part under saban too. Plus Sark’s on the sideline as the HC so he can’t see the defensive schemes as easily which he would from the booth and he’s got a team to manage (or not) in addition to calling the plays.  At best the jury is still out.  Win 9 next year and he’s back to his high water mark and we can see if he can up from there. Until he hits 10+ though it’s hard to call him one of the best of anything. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m not sure if sark is one of the best play callers.  He’s above average but just because he looked like a genius at Bama doesn’t mean he’s the best. Greg Davis looked like a genius with VY too, he’d probably look the part under saban too. Plus Sark’s on the sideline as the HC so he can’t see the defensive schemes as easily which he would from the booth and he’s got a team to manage (or not) in addition to calling the plays.  At best the jury is still out.  Win 9 next year and he’s back to his high water mark and we can see if he can up from there. Until he hits 10+ though it’s hard to call him one of the best of anything. 

That horse has been rendered into its subatomic particles, but Greg Davis wasn’t exactly lacking for talent to utilize pre-VY. 

I agree the jury is still out. Sarkisian, imo, can get plenty of feedback from the booth if he needs it. Some coordinators think they feel from game better on the field, others don’t. I’d want to see all 22, but I’m not everyone. 

Even if Sarkisian is “only” above average, you still have to replace him with someone at least as good or hope his activity in other areas more than offsets the loss. I think it’s probably easier to find someone competent to pick up whatever slack in other areas than find someone who groks the offense as well. 

I think most, if not all, fanbases hyper-analyze at a micro level on up. No one is going to be happy with every substitution, play call, etc. and the coaches will be “idiots” for any choice that leads to less than a stellar outcome. At a more macro level, and I know he knows this already, Sarkisian needs to get a handle on closing out games. 10-2 was there for the taking and Texas needs to start taking it. That starts with him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Gonna jump off my soap box after this because i had a Delta 9 gummy…I’m rolling:

I also get irritated with the notion that Dykes somehow had it easier than Sark (because Dykes had more upperclassmen)

That team went 5-7 last year and Patterson was fired. We know that. 15 players transferred out. The rest that were left (90% of those players) hadn’t played in a bowl game. Over the last four seasons Patterson had gone 23-24.

4 of the 15 that left were at least considered high end talents. Dykes didn’t have the luxury of relying on the recruiting class. This team wasn’t good enough to make a bowl much less think of red shirting anyone like the better teams get to do. They go to a bowl and get 15 or so extra practices to work in the freshman. That’s the old way. Not saying we shouldn’t do it or it doesn’t work. Dykes didn’t have that so he had a steep climb.

13 scholarship spaces open up and he snagged them via a transfer portal. So you now  have a hodge podge for lack of a better term of players. The core (TCU guys who’d stayed) 90% of them had never been to a bowl game. Enter a new offensive system. To all of them. Enter a new defensive formation. No more 4 man rush…moved to a 3-3-5. They ended the regular season 3rd in the nation in scoring.

Their RB Kendra Miller had 1400 yds and 17TDs (for comparison Bijan had 1580 yards and 18 TDs,) their WR (a UT decommit) is likely to go high in the 2023 draft. 

The job Dykes had to do and has done with this team and his coordinators is nothing short of spectacular. I saw some good things from our team this year. Saw some potential. But Sark in no way shape or form came close to the job HC Dykes did this year and quite honestly had a lot of personnel to make a CCG run and win it. We fell short and that’s on him and his middle school duckass haircut.

gummies rule! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Play design/scheming and play calling are two different things. He’s proven elite at the former. I don’t think he’s a terrible play caller, but he’s certainly delivered some head scratchers on that front.
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Is that the guy that had #5 on the sidelines on their 4th down play?

Pretty sure Lane Kiffin was calling plays for USC in that Championship game. 

Wonder if Kiffin or Pete Carroll made that 4th and 2 play call that the Horns stopped late in the 4th quarter.

2 hours ago, troph said:

Someone in the booth is validating what he is seeing. 

Greg Davis did NOT look like a genius with VY. VY was off script quite a lot. Greg looked good for about half a season when we started running Colt's offense and then teams caught up to us. The thing with Sark is he has always looked good to great calling plays at the college level. We've seen his bottom at Washington and his top at Bama. For me though we just aren't executing well right now and we are STILL scoring points at a decent clip. So my thing is pretty simple. If we look solid offensively now how good to we look when the line isn't busting every other play, our WR's can catch, we have more than 2, and our QB has a year or two experience under his belt? We are currently 25th in scoring with all the issues we have. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Gonna jump off my soap box after this because i had a Delta 9 gummy…I’m rolling:

I also get irritated with the notion that Dykes somehow had it easier than Sark (because Dykes had more upperclassmen)

That team went 5-7 last year and Patterson was fired. We know that. 15 players transferred out. The rest that were left (90% of those players) hadn’t played in a bowl game. Over the last four seasons Patterson had gone 23-24.

4 of the 15 that left were at least considered high end talents. Dykes didn’t have the luxury of relying on the recruiting class. This team wasn’t good enough to make a bowl much less think of red shirting anyone like the better teams get to do. They go to a bowl and get 15 or so extra practices to work in the freshman. That’s the old way. Not saying we shouldn’t do it or it doesn’t work. Dykes didn’t have that so he had a steep climb.

13 scholarship spaces open up and he snagged them via a transfer portal. So you now  have a hodge podge for lack of a better term of players. The core (TCU guys who’d stayed) 90% of them had never been to a bowl game. Enter a new offensive system. To all of them. Enter a new defensive formation. No more 4 man rush…moved to a 3-3-5. They ended the regular season 3rd in the nation in scoring.

Their RB Kendra Miller had 1400 yds and 17TDs (for comparison Bijan had 1580 yards and 18 TDs,) their WR (a UT decommit) is likely to go high in the 2023 draft. 

The job Dykes had to do and has done with this team and his coordinators is nothing short of spectacular. I saw some good things from our team this year. Saw some potential. But Sark in no way shape or form came close to the job HC Dykes did this year and quite honestly had a lot of personnel to make a CCG run and win it. We fell short and that’s on him and his middle school duckass haircut.

gummies rule! 

There are 3 areas that destroy you as a coach when it comes to wins and losses. Line play and QB. If you are good in the trenches and have solid QB play you are in the hunt. TCU had a lot of question marks, but they are solid in those depts. That's the reason people here aren't sold on him. Case in point, Manny Diaz looked like a rock star when he inherited Boom's defense. As soon as those guys were gone he was trash. Coaching in college is about talent recognition and development if you wanna be around long term. Period. Some coaches can run a team, but can't recruit and develop. Herman was like that. Good with other people's guys but not good at finding his own. Dykes may be one of those guys. Jury is still out. 

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

That horse has been rendered into its subatomic particles, but Greg Davis wasn’t exactly lacking for talent to utilize pre-VY. 

I agree the jury is still out. Sarkisian, imo, can get plenty of feedback from the booth if he needs it. Some coordinators think they feel from game better on the field, others don’t. I’d want to see all 22, but I’m not everyone. 

Even if Sarkisian is “only” above average, you still have to replace him with someone at least as good or hope his activity in other areas more than offsets the loss. I think it’s probably easier to find someone competent to pick up whatever slack in other areas than find someone who groks the offense as well. 

I think most, if not all, fanbases hyper-analyze at a micro level on up. No one is going to be happy with every substitution, play call, etc. and the coaches will be “idiots” for any choice that leads to less than a stellar outcome. At a more macro level, and I know he knows this already, Sarkisian needs to get a handle on closing out games. 10-2 was there for the taking and Texas needs to start taking it. That starts with him. 

I know GD lacked pre-VY in production but not talent, which is why I compare the two. I’m not sold on Sark to produce as HC even with elite talent. But make no mistake, elite talent should win at elite levels. Yeah, I said it. You recruit top 3-5 every year you should be in the CFP semis 3 out of 4 years. Let’s see if he can win 9 games without having the best RB in CFB. 

As for nit picking - I don’t really subscribe to the hindsight model of criticism. Plenty of plays are criticized based on outcome not available information at the the time the decision was made.  But trends do matter. His offenses disappeared for long stretches, he underutilized BJ all but a few games. He made a few situational mistakes I thought like going for the block against TCU, and I think his ability to adjust is lacking. But this pass or that run, nah. This Ewers decision or that one, nah. This blown assignment or that one, nah. Especially on player mistakes he got a pass from me this year on youth. I get it, what it takes to find the flow state where good decisions are made effortlessly is extremely hard and takes a ton of practice and experience. So you have to separate that out and look at whether sark did the things he needed to do to put this team in the best position to win now. He didn’t do that repeatedly. I mean with the known WR/QB issues I can’t figure out how you aren’t throwing the ball to BJ 3-4 times a game, he averages over 15 yards a catch and is widely known to have great hands and make the first guy miss. How many receptions did he have this year? 16 … for the whole year.  Fact is, sark might be good on a white board but he lacked this season when he had one of the best players in all of football he coulda rode to 9+ wins.  He gets a C at best on game planning and play calling from me this year.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Play design/scheming and play calling are two different things. He’s proven elite at the former. I don’t think he’s a terrible play caller, but he’s certainly delivered some head scratchers on that front.

I said play calling.  I think he’s actually suspect when he’s got the full HC job to handle as well as play calling. I hope he proves us all wrong (or right for those that think he’s the guy). As for play design, meh, GD won a championship copying others, Mike Leach, God rest his soul, runs circles around Sark on innovation but didn’t win anything. true innovative play design in its purest form is over rated.  Coaching and calling plays and executing are where games are won. 

again, hope is the best strategy if you aren’t willing to just take a dispassion wait and see approach. I’d like to think I’m the latter but I’m bitching on a message board so I guess I’m the former. I hope it gets better.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Someone in the booth is validating what he is seeing. 

Greg Davis did NOT look like a genius with VY. VY was off script quite a lot. Greg looked good for about half a season when we started running Colt's offense and then teams caught up to us. The thing with Sark is he has always looked good to great calling plays at the college level. We've seen his bottom at Washington and his top at Bama. For me though we just aren't executing well right now and we are STILL scoring points at a decent clip. So my thing is pretty simple. If we look solid offensively now how good to we look when the line isn't busting every other play, our WR's can catch, we have more than 2, and our QB has a year or two experience under his belt? We are currently 25th in scoring with all the issues we have. 

I said GD looked like a genius, I clearly implied he wasn’t. Don’t be insincere just to argue it’s unbecoming of a guy that tries to come off as smart.

no shit he’s got eyes upstairs. You know what else? he comes across as a bit of an ego, he knows best, and stubborn, so I’m unsure what that dynamic really looks like between sark and upstairs. As I just mentioned though, he was off enough this season with the players he had that something isn’t quite right, even ignoring his impressive historical track record.  Saying the guy is a genius doesn’t make him one, it’s just one guy saying he’s a genius. It’s very post-factual modernism or whatever the historians and philosophy types call it, I believe it ergo it’s true. Sorry, I didn’t see any genius this year despite plenty saying he is one.

Edited by troph

39 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

There are 3 areas that destroy you as a coach when it comes to wins and losses. Line play and QB. If you are good in the trenches and have solid QB play you are in the hunt. TCU had a lot of question marks, but they are solid in those depts. That's the reason people here aren't sold on him. Case in point, Manny Diaz looked like a rock star when he inherited Boom's defense. As soon as those guys were gone he was trash. Coaching in college is about talent recognition and development if you wanna be around long term. Period. Some coaches can run a team, but can't recruit and develop. Herman was like that. Good with other people's guys but not good at finding his own. Dykes may be one of those guys. Jury is still out. 

The jury is still out on whether Dykes or Sark can be the HC that recruits and develops those recruits year over year. The jury is not out on whether or not Dykes can come into a team year one, effectively use the transfer portal to fill no fewer than 15 slots because players portaled out after Paterson was shitcanned. We know Sark is not going to build a team that way. I’m on the fence as to whether or not he can build it the old way sparingly using the portal. We know he didn’t do what Dykes did nor would he have. I want him to succeed. Criticizing him is fair. Not calling for him to be fired but he shares some blame as to how this season turned out in addition to the poor execution on the field. 

He’s also stated repeatedly when he was HC at Washington that he had no intention of giving up playcalling as that was his superpower and such. At some point, he will have to if he hopes to get to winning CCGs and having the chance to be in the playoffs year over year. We’ll see. I’m willing to give sark leeway because he was literally intoxicated the bulk of his HC. He didn’t have the portal or NIL at his disposal. I give a pass to Dykes for some of Cal bc it’s Cal man. Most posters were lamenting Texas was turning into Cal which I assume is a bad thing. Plus up until SMU didn’t really have portal to help out with. I imagine he’s had a tough time of recruiting. Were they to win the MNC, I bet that helps a bit. 

Jury is still out for both HC on whether lo term success can be achieved and their teams can hover around the top 10 or better in rankings each year. I know CDC has walked back in recent days the fact that he wanted Dykes…but as a comparison for that purpose Sark wouldn’t and can’t do what Dykes did this year. Whether it’s just a one off or not, we’ll see. 

Jimbo Fisher is bringing in former Arkansas and Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino, one of the most respected offensive minds in football, to be Texas A&M's offensive coordinator, sources told ESPN.
Fisher has always called his own plays on offense and is one of the diminishing number of head coaches to do so, and although he will still be heavily involved in the Aggies' offense, sources told ESPN that Petrino will take over primary play-calling duties.
It's not uncommon for Fisher to take his time and wait until January to make a coordinator hire. He hired his last two defensive coordinators (D.J. Durkin and Mike Elko) after the New Year. For this job, Fisher also talked to TCU offensive coordinator Garrett Riley, among others, sources told ESPN.

Sooooooo even Dumbo Jimbo is finally getting an OC. 
Nah, he's getting a sacrificial lamb to blame when the offense goes tits up yet again in '23, and Petrino is getting his retirement funded with aggy bucks.
  • Haha 2

gummies rule! 
Delta 9 you say? Intredasting

Yes, that's all I took away from your essay, but agree Dykes did a great job this year with froggy, but there was a fair bit of luck involved with achieving the record they did.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

I said GD looked like a genius, I clearly implied he wasn’t. Don’t be insincere just to argue it’s unbecoming of a guy that tries to come off as smart.

no shit he’s got eyes upstairs. You know what else? he comes across as a bit of an ego, he knows best, and stubborn, so I’m unsure what that dynamic really looks like between sark and upstairs. As I just mentioned though, he was off enough this season with the players he had that something isn’t quite right, even ignoring his impressive historical track record.  Saying the guy is a genius doesn’t make him one, it’s just one guy saying he’s a genius. It’s very post-factual modernism or whatever the historians and philosophy types call it, I believe it ergo it’s true. Sorry, I didn’t see any genius this year despite plenty saying he is one.

Look, I don't need the insults. Save them for someone else. Whatever your opinion of me is of your own manufacturing. Outside of this board I am a regular guy that just played enough football to understand what I am seeing and how things work. I am not on here claiming I know a guy or am big inside the program. Go chase after those dudes. I state my opinion strongly because I have a lot of faith in it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Look, I don't need the insults. Save them for someone else. Whatever your opinion of me is of your own manufacturing. Outside of this board I am a regular guy that just played enough football to understand what I am seeing and how things work. I am not on here claiming I know a guy or am big inside the program. Go chase after those dudes. I state my opinion strongly because I have a lot of faith in it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

It wasn’t an insult. Stop projecting. You acted liked I thought GD was a real man of genius when it was clear that was not my point. You’re a smart guy don’t weaken your reputation and insight by arguing against positions you know I didn’t take. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, troph said:

I know GD lacked pre-VY in production but not talent, which is why I compare the two. I’m not sold on Sark to produce as HC even with elite talent. But make no mistake, elite talent should win at elite levels. Yeah, I said it. You recruit top 3-5 every year you should be in the CFP semis 3 out of 4 years. Let’s see if he can win 9 games without having the best RB in CFB. 

As for nit picking - I don’t really subscribe to the hindsight model of criticism. Plenty of plays are criticized based on outcome not available information at the the time the decision was made.  But trends do matter. His offenses disappeared for long stretches, he underutilized BJ all but a few games. He made a few situational mistakes I thought like going for the block against TCU, and I think his ability to adjust is lacking. But this pass or that run, nah. This Ewers decision or that one, nah. This blown assignment or that one, nah. Especially on player mistakes he got a pass from me this year on youth. I get it, what it takes to find the flow state where good decisions are made effortlessly is extremely hard and takes a ton of practice and experience. So you have to separate that out and look at whether sark did the things he needed to do to put this team in the best position to win now. He didn’t do that repeatedly. I mean with the known WR/QB issues I can’t figure out how you aren’t throwing the ball to BJ 3-4 times a game, he averages over 15 yards a catch and is widely known to have great hands and make the first guy miss. How many receptions did he have this year? 16 … for the whole year.  Fact is, sark might be good on a white board but he lacked this season when he had one of the best players in all of football he coulda rode to 9+ wins.  He gets a C at best on game planning and play calling from me this year.

How many of the times his offense disappeared for long stretches involved penalties putting the O behind the chains or mistakes that erased successful plays?

If he doesn’t get 9 wins next season, that’s a D or an F, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

How many of the times his offense disappeared for long stretches involved penalties putting the O behind the chains or mistakes that erased successful plays?

If he doesn’t get 9 wins next season, that’s a D or an F, imo. 

Did you read my post? And if your grade for him is D or F if he doesn’t get to 9 wins next year, then what was his grade for 8 wins with the best RB in the game this year?  I gave him a C. That’s not unreasonable.

I made it clear he gets a bit of a pass for execution, and decisions by young players.   Did you read that part? 

did you read the part that one of the best pass catching and electrifying defender escaping RB’s Texas has ever had and the best in the nation this year only caught 16 passes all season. 

genius. 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Did you read my post? And if your grade for him is D or F if he doesn’t get to 9 wins next year, then what was his grade for 8 wins with the best RB in the game this year?  I gave him a C. That’s not unreasonable.

I made it clear he gets a bit of a pass for execution, and decisions by young players.   Did you read that part? 

did you read the part that one of the best pass catching and electrifying defender escaping RB’s Texas has ever had and the best in the nation this year only caught 16 passes all season. 

genius. 

Yeah, I read it. You don’t hold him accountable for player mistakes… though  player mistakes are a significant factor in why the offense disappeared. So it sounds like you absolutely are holding him accountable for them  

I’d give him a C for 2022. It was meh. Not great, not a disaster. 

Edit: Sanders drop against OSU? Ewers run there being called back? Execution problems?

Edited by Doc Daneeka

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yeah, I read it. You don’t hold him accountable for player mistakes… though  player mistakes are a significant factor in why the offense disappeared. So it sounds like you absolutely are holding him accountable for them  

All or nothing much?  False dichotomy much?

Play calling at times was a problem. Not putting young players in better positions to succeed with his calls. Not leaning on his stars in ways that increase chances to succeed. In game management. Personnel decisions. Not every stall was due to penalties or dumb decisions.  

what’s his grade for this season?  I said C, you’re arguing with me it must be higher. Do tell. 

Edited by troph

All or nothing much?  False dichotomy much?

Play calling at times was a problem. Not putting young players in better positions to succeed with his calls. In game management. Not every stall was due to penalties or dumb decisions.  

what’s his grade for this season?  I said C, you’re arguing with me it must be higher. Do tell. 

I said C. And that the same results will be a D or F next season.