This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

1 hour ago, troph said:

Of course. But we aren’t weirdos for recognizing sark showed us who he was. If you had to bet in Vegas right now, your entire net worth on whether he plateaus at 8-10 wins per year or gets us to 10-13+ consistently / put another way 3-5 losses consistently or 0-2 losses consistently which is it? 

Leaving aside that a consistent plateau of 10-2 and a roll of the dice in conference championships and playoffs wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world — that’s Mack Brown territory — how many coaches on planet earth would you bet your entire net worth on winning 10-13+ consistently? (Whatever consistently means.) Would you include Riley? Kelly? Day? Heupel? Dykes? 

I mean, sure, if you think you already can recognize that 2022 is the best Sarkisian can do at Texas, I understand why the outlook might be frustrating. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I’ve been on Surely long enough to know we’d still bitch if he won 9/10 games. 

As it is done on every message board for every other program.

Think people aren’t bitching about Michigan today? OSU? Think Georgia fans aren’t chirping about having to survive a last second FG attempt and all the crap that went on last night? What about Bama fans watching Georgia play for a title while being in the midst of the greatest run in college football history?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Leaving aside that a consistent plateau of 10-2 and a roll of the dice in conference championships and playoffs wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world — that’s Mack Brown territory — how many coaches on planet earth would you bet your entire net worth on winning 10-13+ consistently? (Whatever consistently means.) Would you include Riley? Kelly? Day? Heupel? Dykes? 

I mean, sure, if you think you already can recognize that 2022 is the best Sarkisian can do at Texas, I understand why the outlook might be frustrating. 

I wouldn’t bet a penny on any sports, the hypothetical is meant to dislodge the nonsense. Mack, Akers at the beginning of his career (remember he coached for it all twice), Royal, all were worthy of the opposite bet. The point is a career with a high water mark of 9 wins once with multiple P5 stops isn’t magically going to produce something better just because he quit drinking and he had a layover at saban coaching U.  Yes his recruiting with NIL will move the needle but he still makes boneheaded decisions when managing the game and his side of the ball which is supposedly where he runs circles around the competition. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Not sure if serious. 

You want to look at the stats to see the improvement or you want to look at anecdotes about how Alabama and TCU went in deep on KSU and Tennessee and Michigan while both needed officials’ help to move the ball or score against Texas’ defense? Or, hell, how Texas just held Washington two TDs under their average? Either way, your answer is there.

Regardless, the Texas defense got much better with maybe one guy who’d be considered a playmaker, or at least a fumble causer. Now, add in some edge pressure, a BAMF at LB, and better guys in the secondary. 

There’s a lot to bitch about from the 2022 season, but defensive improvement from 2021 isn’t remotely one of them. 

Agreed. Defense was markedly better.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I wouldn’t bet a penny on any sports, the hypothetical is meant to dislodge the nonsense. Mack, Akers at the beginning of his career (remember he coached for it all twice), Royal, all were worthy of the opposite bet. The point is a career with a high water mark of 9 wins once with multiple P5 stops isn’t magically going to produce something better just because he quit drinking and a stop at saban coaching U.  Yes his recruiting with NIL will move the needle but he still makes boneheaded decisions when managing the game and his side of the ball which is supposedly where he runs circles around the competition. 

Giving up play calling duties might help. But I don't see that happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’ve been called worse by worse. Apology accepted. Sorry I called you delusional. Sark’s recruiting is the only ray of hope I see. Hope he can keep it rolling and win with the big time recruiting classes like Mack did. I certainly do not expect it.

I don’t expect it either; but I can also see a path toward it becoming possible if he maintains a quality staff (compared to the last 2 coaches, I like Sark’s assistants) and consistently recruits at an elite level. I expect that even if he does this, we’ll still win 8-10 games per year (not 10+).

Maybe it’s because I’m old now, but if he’s doing that, I don’t think you replace him - even though he isn’t quite hitting the standard you want - until you are doing so with a known/certain upgrade. And there aren’t many of those. I think the odds of an occasional playoff run would be better with continuity (in this scenario) than rolling the dice on someone new (simply because he’s new/different), because I agree with @David Dennison, coaching hires typically involve a lot of luck/chance. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, troph said:

I wouldn’t bet a penny on any sports, the hypothetical is meant to dislodge the nonsense. Mack, Akers at the beginning of his career (remember he coached for it all twice), Royal, all were worthy of the opposite bet. The point is a career with a high water mark of 9 wins once with multiple P5 stops isn’t magically going to produce something better just because he quit drinking and he had a layover at saban coaching U.  Yes his recruiting with NIL will move the needle but he still makes boneheaded decisions when managing the game and his side of the ball which is supposedly where he runs circles around the competition. 

It doesn’t really dissolve the nonsense unless one believes Sarkisian today, at Texas, can’t improve on what he’s done before. If one “recognizes” this “fact,” sure, Texas is hosed until he’s fired. 

Well, Akers coached for it once and got rolled. Granted, with a third team QB and a banged up defense. The other, he wasn’t playing for until it turned out Nebraska got beat. Even then, it was a boneheaded decision on his side of the ball that cost the game-winning TD against Georgia. 

Royal, yeah, in retrospect. It’s a damned good thing there was no Surly in 1965-1967, though, because I guarantee to the point I’d bet my net worth on it, y’all would have been calling for his head. Do you disagree?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m afraid McGuire might be the next to make us hate Sark.  He put together a hell of a recruiting class and Tech is paying every player a base of $70K/year.  He also seems to have a feel for managing a game.

It’s not 70k, it’s 25k. 

regardless it’s shocking we haven’t got every player paid like Tech and SMU(36k)

2 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Lol can y’all stop pretending like y’all are gonna be thrilled if Sark wins 9/10 games? Y’all are still gonna bitch and make threads like this.

We’ve lost 5 games all by one score and two (arguably 3) were due to shitty officials. One was a fluke fumble and the other was without our two best players on offense and 2nd or 3rd best player on defense. All while relying on a freshman QB and 3 freshman Olineman.

Anybody that thinks this was a bad coaching season for Sark is a weirdo

In year 3 the threshold for my happiness with Sark is minimum 10 REGULAR season wins and a birth to the big 12 title. Anything other than that is failure. 

1 was shitty officiating, Bama

2 we’re shitty coaching, Tech/OKSt 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m afraid McGuire might be the next to make us hate Sark.  He put together a hell of a recruiting class and Tech is paying every player a base of $70K/year.  He also seems to have a feel for managing a game.

I’m afraid McWilliams Dykes Leach Tuberville Kingsbury Wells McGuire might be the next…

It’s possible. It’s more likely that, if Texas even plays him more than one more time, he’s good for the occasional upset. 

58 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s not 70k, it’s 25k. 

regardless it’s shocking we haven’t got every player paid like Tech and SMU(36k)

You’re surprised that UT is behind the curve in paying players. Seriously? The big money and administration have always turned their nose at paying players despite the fact that is how the game has been played for years, even before NIL. There needs to be a top down culture change to kill the old Texas ways and adopt the Clemson and Alabama model. We are an SEC school now and everyone needs to get on board with how it is done in the best conference in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I always have to make sure context is added to your posts because you just drop random ass info that suits your narrative and jerk it to the thought of other coaches using the portal. Dykes team is built on the returning guys they had from last year. 
TCU portal takes last year:
CB Josh Newton (ULM)- Starter at CB. Good player 
OL Ezra Dotson-Oyetade (ASU)- Backup center at 285 pounds. Played in 3 games in mop up duty.
DL Caleb Fox (Stephen F Austin)- Backup DE. 2.5 TFL’s and 0 sacks this year.
RB Emani Bailey (ULL)- 4th string RB. 47 yards against Tarleton State.
DL Tymon Mitchell (Georgia)- Backup NT.
OT Robby Rochester (Uconn)- 3rd string OT. Played special teams 
RB Corey Wren (FSU)- 5th string RB. Had 3 carries against Tarleton State.
LB Johnny Hodges (Navy)- Starting LB. Probably their best portal pickup. Had 81 tackles this year after only having 50 for Navy in 2021.
DL Lwal Uguak (Uconn)- 3rd string DE. Had 3 tackles against Tarleton!
S Mark Perry (Colorado)- Good player. Starter at safety
TE Jared Wiley (Texas)- “started” at TE. We know who he is. 22 catches this year in 14 games.
C Alan Ali (SMU)- Starter. Followed Dykes from SMU.
S Ishmael Burdine (Missouri)- Not even on the depth chart. Had 2 tackles against Tarleton!

This is awesome. Thanks for the effort. As for the guys you noted as starters/started, if we had similar guys come in this year, I’m not sure they’d be starters. Hodges would probably get crucified. And, well, Wiley. Also, I was thinking they said on yesterdays broadcast that no one else wanted Hodges when he hit the Portal. I’d assume the Georgia transfer is a backup to the frosh.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Macklemore said:

You’re surprised that UT is behind the curve in paying players. Seriously? The big money and administration have always turned their nose at paying players despite the fact that is how the game has been played for years, even before NIL. There needs to be a top down culture change to kill the old Texas ways and adopt the Clemson and Alabama model. We are an SEC school now and everyone needs to get on board with how it is done in the best conference in the country.

Fwiw I wouldnt copy the Clemson way. Dabo showing he’s on par with our olds with regards to the new climate 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

In year 3 the threshold for my happiness with Sark is minimum 10 REGULAR season wins and a birth to the big 12 title. Anything other than that is failure. 

1 was shitty officiating, Bama

2 we’re shitty coaching, Tech/OKSt 

We 110% beat OKSt and TCU with decent officiating. Bama was more in the area of a few missed calls that fucked us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

We 110% beat OKSt and TCU with decent officiating. Bama was more in the area of a few missed calls that fucked us. 

Dude blaming officiating in those games is stupid. Our fucking head coach cost us those games more than officiating. 

we blew 14 point leads in them. Officials didn’t make us blow those leads. 

The only game you can legitimately say officiating cost us was Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

As it is done on every message board for every other program.

Think people aren’t bitching about Michigan today? OSU? Think Georgia fans aren’t chirping about having to survive a last second FG attempt and all the crap that went on last night? What about Bama fans watching Georgia play for a title while being in the midst of the greatest run in college football history?

I wish we could bitch about the results of a playoff game that involves our team. Instead, I’m stuck reading bitches talk about a stupid bowl game in which we didn’t have bijan, Rojo and DMO and still almost walked away with a win against a 10-2 Washington team that had all their studs play. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Alabama was straight up gifted a 5 point differential on two non-calls. Potentially another 4 on a different one. Maybe a few instances, but whatever else Texas jacked up, 5+ points in a 1 point loss is pretty brutal. 

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This is awesome. Thanks for the effort. As for the guys you noted as starters/started, if we had similar guys come in this year, I’m not sure they’d be starters. Hodges would probably get crucified. And, well, Wiley. Also, I was thinking they said on yesterdays broadcast that no one else wanted Hodges when he hit the Portal. I’d assume the Georgia transfer is a backup to the frosh.

Correct. Hodges had very little interest from everyone but Dykes played against him when he was at SMU and said he would take a chance on him.

Newton was their Ryan Watts and Perry raised the floor of their safety room. They made a good eval on Hodges.

Bringing over Ali from SMU was of course a no brainer but the rest of their offensive portal takes did almost nothing. 90% of that offense was in place when Dykes stepped to to the podium for the press conference.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I don’t think the cigars wanted Strong, Patterson and Powers did.

If Red McCombs was representative of what the BC’s wanted, this would be correct.   Always felt Charlie and Tom were pushed on us by the media who thought they were the next names out their to take over a major program and the leadership bought it, hook line and sinker.  See Brent Venables  at OU unfold the next few years to see it outside our bubble 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Levi said:

I wish we could bitch about the results of a playoff game that involves our team. Instead, I’m stuck reading bitches talk about a stupid bowl game in which we didn’t have bijan, Rojo and DMO and still almost walked away with a win against a 10-2 Washington team that had all their studs play. 

Yeah ok. The larger point is that there will be people bitching about the team regardless of the success. UT fans aren’t unique no matter how much they like to tell each other so in a burnt orange circle jerk. 

And the fans complaining about their much more successful programs probably have legitimate gripes too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude blaming officiating in those games is stupid. Our fucking head coach cost us those games more than officiating. 

We blew a 14 pt lead against TCU when we lost 17-10?

One of the funny things is we lost all our games by one score/possession.  Watching those games is infuriating and frustrating and magnifies any and all mistakes, whether players, coaches, or officials.

But, WE LOST THE GAMES BY ONE SCORE, against some pretty salty competition.  And yeah, we gave up some leads, too, but it felt more like we earned those leads than last year, when we built up some pretty improbable leads against pretty inarguably better teams (OU with Williams).  There may be some reason to take heart in those factoids.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Before millers long run, Wiley held Barron on what was the most egregious open field holds I’ve seen in my life. The next play, millers runs for 70 while Watts (I think) gets held by a blocking wr. That 7 points was totally gifted by the refs in favor of tcu. I’m not sure we pull out a win tho with the way our offense was playing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If Red McCombs was representative of what the BC’s wanted, this would be correct.   Always felt Charlie and Tom were pushed on us by the media who thought they were the next names out their to take over a major program and the leadership bought it, hook line and sinker.  See Brent Venables  at OU unfold the next few years to see it outside our bubble 

Houston boosters pushed Herman and strong armed the Houston area interim AD to get it done without running a search. 

1 minute ago, Levi said:

Before millers long run, Wiley held Barron on what was the most egregious open field holds I’ve seen in my life. The next play, millers runs for 70 while Watts (I think) gets held by a blocking wr. That 7 points was totally gifted by the refs in favor of tcu. I’m not sure we pull out a win tho with the way our offense was playing. 

I’m not even discussing TCU. We just got beat by a better team. That one call wasn’t why we lost that game. We didn’t even score a single fucking offensive touchdown. Officiating wasn’t changing that. 

2 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

It was dumb hiring the back end staff before PK. That probably was the main issue that fucked us last year. That said, PK is a lot more proven than Orlando.

I hope you are correct.   Year 3 should be better if some of those things internally were corrected.   That’s a strange way of having a coordinator start his tenure for sure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

you're missing what I'm saying. Is Texas not capable of being "Loaded to the gills" with NFL talent. I would bet that on Paper Texas has more "star" power than both Michigan and TCU 50% of the field. Hell, I bet Texas has higher ranked recruits than 70% of the top 10 ranked teams...... I realize that just because these players are ranked by some recruiting service that doesn't mean anything. But holy fuck, can a coach that comes to Texas develop a fuckin roster at some point? especially with NIL and the Transfer Portal now. Much easier to have fill in years with transfer players until the younger guys are ready to hit the field. 

Fuck, Sarkisian hasn't even had a full recruiting cycle of kids go through spring camp. We saw development across the board between year 1 and year 2 with what he had left from Herman and his 2022 freshmen class. Since taking the job, Sarkisian has brought in 14 portal transfers so far. That number will likely be close to 18 by fall camp. Roughly 6 portals per season. That is a healthy number, the problem is only Robinson, Ewers, and Watts have produced on the field. While Oghoufo and Tucker-Dorsey were average.

My guess is if Neyor and Angilau had been healthy all season, Texas would have won 10 games. Both were huge losses that would have been significant upgrades over their backups.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Ultimately, a Good Coach wins the games he should, and at least occasionally wins a game or two he shouldn't.

A Shit Coach usually loses a game or two he should win, and almost never wins ones he shouldn't.

Oops, sorry to interrupt, fellas... y'all go ahead and get back to Routine Surly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Can’t wait for another lame duck year of watching him bumblefuck his way to 4-8 and subsequently getting shitcanned. 

We all know it’s coming.

Indeed, Snark is a fat mentally messed up lame duck. He should go get a job he is more qualified for ... like selling used computers like he used to 

• Fuck You 8

9 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Can’t wait for another lame duck year of watching him bumblefuck his way to 4-8 and subsequently getting shitcanned. 

We all know it’s coming.

Maybe. What I think is more likely is an eventual change of course to “Well, hell, anyone could win with this much Texas NIL money. He still sucks as a coach.”

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Love your post, but ok state had no penalties. It was a major factor in them winning. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Getting the right coach is luck. Accept that and hope for the best.

Yes and No.

yes in the sense that just like a player…some pan out and some don’t. Successful programs most typically have a coach in waiting to hand the program to…OR if they are ready to fire that coach MOST have interviewed several coaches relying on the AD they hired and chancellor and president and board or whatever they have at the school (people employed to make decisions) to make the ultimate hire. Sometimes they hire search firms and such. Sometimes those firms suck. The point is: a good hire is not just luck. They interview several coaches even if they have one in mind. They determine their identity by hiring this coach or create a new identity or continue an old one based on that HC’s philosophy. They take time with this. They don’t let a bunch of BMDs make the call. They don’t make slapdick hires like the previous two. The schools that have (we know what’s happening at those P5 schools) and they are in the desert too.

IMO it doesn’t take long to build a team anymore and build it quick and sustain it through recruiting and proper portal use. Two years may not seem like a long time but the good ones can do this in that time frame. Maximum three years. Most can scheme with what they have on the roster bc for many they need to win and be visible to have any kind of slight edge in recruiting. Joel Klatt  said this on his podcast. He wasn’t done with Sark just saying he was starting to believe he might not be the guy based on the fact that in todays current CFB landscape with NIL and portal that it can be done. And that the fear is many schools and their fans are like the frog in the boiling water. So it didn’t happen in year two well it will happen in year three…when we have more upper classmen and more of the coach’s type of guys for his scheme. So it didn’t work in year four…well we have a bunch of seniors now and juniors and they are basically his team now so…

Again I respect the opinions of those who believe Sark can achieve this. I want to believe and hope that he can. I feel like Herman,  before him we hired another coordinator. Sark is obviously a much better recruiter. But Sark is too proud to give up main OC duties and we will all suffer next year and the following year when we have a TCU -like 2022 nucleus and we didn’t do dick with it. 

It sucked walking out of the Alamo Bowl walking past the hemisphere needle thing which was lit up purple. 62,000 fans…about 70-80% in burnt orange with heads hung low shuffling the half mile back to our respective hotels in near dead silence save the occasional drunken person. One older person to our left lets out a huge sigh and says, “Damn I’m so tired of losing. Why can’t we get this right?” His buddy said “Because we let a bunch of rich assholes pick our coach.” Whether you agree or disagree about Sark and whether or not he can ultimately sustain the kind of success we want…you can’t disagree that we let a bunch of rich non employee non coach types assholes pick our last three coaches. And we are currently 0-2. Let’s fire Mack without a backup plan…Coolcoolcool…

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree. He was terrible at Cal and caught lightning in a bottle. Let’s see next year if he returns to 6-6 norm. 
Not so sure about that, he did well enough at SMU to land the froggy job, and going to the championship game will make them a legit threat for in-state recruiting vs us, aggy and blowU.
  • Hook 'Em 1