This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

When will we ever catch lightning in a bottle? All we ever do is turn our noses at other programs accomplishing what we haven't in a long time. Who cares about next year. Sonny is in a national championship game this year. Of course next year could be a letdown seeing they will have a lot of turnover and schools like TCU aren't going to just reload with 5 stars. But what he did this year was amazing, 100x better than our loser coaches we keep going through since Mack. All these excuses that keep getting made for them

I think next year is most telling. If we don’t win 10 games he is not our guy.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Dykes had an incredible season and will basically be as good as his coordinators. I say coordinators because Sark needs one! An OC. A main play caller. He cannot be all three things and get to the level we want. You can’t be HC, QB whisperer and main OC. It has rarely worked. Hire a damn OC Sark. For fuck’s sake. And no he couldn’t have done what Dykes just did at TCU for that reason and he can’t scheme with what he has on hand. Has to be his guys. Dykes would have loved to have a world class RB random like Rojo and Bijan. We didn’t use them correctly and that’s on Sark. Worthy should have been benched at the Alamo Bowl. That’s on Satk. That wasted TO is on Sark. Dykes could have schemed with what we have here using GARRETT FUCKING RILEY! we had to put our hopes in Kansas to try and beat KState and didn’t even win the B12. 

We have a guy who has shown an ability to take lesser players and scheme them into winning offense. He is currently the Passing Game Coordinator. 

But, yeah, Garrett Riley.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Slacks said:

We have a guy who has shown an ability to take lesser players and scheme them into winning offense. He is currently the Passing Game Coordinator. 

But, yeah, Garrett Riley.

I get X isn’t his problem entirely but Marion needs to get control of his WR room before he compares to the OC calling plays for a national title contender.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would take every person on that offense over ours except Bijan, Rojo, Jatavion, and Banks. And both RB’s they have aren’t that bad. Experience matters, every contributor is at least a junior except Jordan Hudson and he’s a 5 star. 

Would you take Morris at QB? At the beginning of the season who do you take on our offense versus theirs?

I’ll take Whittington all day. And if you think Riley and Dykes won’t take Worthy, you’re not thinking clearly.

I mean why not take their whole team. Chemistry works for them.

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

That guy would have hired a good staff and pulled in ewers? Banks? arch? Baxter? You sure gif. Lol 

You’re crowing about recruiting wins? I guess that’s all we have to hang our hat on right now while we watch a bad coach take his team (from our conference) to the NC game.

(very sad) lol indeed.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

That guy would have hired a good staff and pulled in ewers? Banks? arch? Baxter? You sure gif. Lol 

Max Duggan, JJ McCarthy, and Stetson Bennett are 75% of the playoff field this year. Is there some reason Texas is one of the few schools that needs some legendary type of QB to win anything of significance?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Max Duggan, JJ McCarthy, and Stetson Bennett are 75% of the playoff field this year. Is there some reason Texas is one of the few schools that needs some legendary type of QB to win anything of significance?

Odd part is Quinn is probably more talented than all three of those guys.  

are we still on the sark over Sonny train?

• Hook 'Em 1

Would we ever give a guy like Stetson Bennett a chance? We lucked in to Colt McCoy.

So maybe.

52 minutes ago, troph said:

I get X isn’t his problem entirely but Marion needs to get control of his WR room before he compares to the OC calling plays for a national title contender.

Do you think there is a WR room issue other than Worthy's drops?

And before this season, what has Riley done that made you think he would be a national title contender at OC?

Having said that, I don't think Marion can replicate his previous OC success with Sark. Marion requires a QB that can run for his GoGo offense. Sark isnt recruiting QBs for that... Probably ever.

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Would we ever give a guy like Stetson Bennett a chance? We lucked in to Colt McCoy.

So maybe.

It means we're dumb and do things ass backwards. Such as targeting 5* WR's and QB's while neglecting the trenches for over a decade. Don't even get me started on the LB position. Had Texas ever focused on this area of very obvious weakness we're probably not wandering the wonderland of average for 10+ years.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Do you think there is a WR room issue other than Worthy's drops?

And before this season, what has Riley done that made you think he would be a national title contender at OC?

Having said that, I don't think Marion can replicate his previous OC success with Sark. Marion requires a QB that can run for his GoGo offense. Sark isnt recruiting QBs for that... Probably ever.

WR room under performed repeatedly.  Riley is a hot commodity and could turn out great but who knows. Marion doesn’t get to do much anyway it’s Sarks offense. I’d love a running QB. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

It means we're dumb and do things ass backwards. Such as targeting 5* WR's and QB's while neglecting the trenches for over a decade. Don't even get me started on the LB position. Had Texas ever focused on this area of very obvious weakness we're probably not wandering the wonderland of average for 10+ years.

Well, Sark is getting highly rated Wrs and QBs while also loading up in the trenches. He may suck as a game day coach but at least he’s giving himself a chance. Hell, Herman had senior Sam throwing to fucking Kai Money on pivotal plays against OU. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

If you win the LOS, you’ll always have a chance. I do think we’re trying to build there so that’s hopeful. There probably will always be heightened emphasis on chasing stars though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Levi said:

Well, Sark is getting highly rated Wrs and QBs while also loading up in the trenches. He may suck as a game day coach but at least he’s giving himself a chance. Hell, Herman had senior Sam throwing to fucking Kai Money on pivotal plays against OU. 

Agreed. I have zero issues with how Sark recruits. Honestly, he's excelling in that area. 

19 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Agreed. I have zero issues with how Sark recruits. Honestly, he's excelling in that area. 

So maybe he should get a chance to develop them. He hired a good enough staff that has the ability to develop. The only position group that didn't really develop was the WR room, but there were injuries there, and it turned out we weren't as deep there as we initially thought. I think you could go through every Big 12 team, and their 3rd WR outperformed Cain by a wide margin.

Yep, the average Big 12 3rd WR outside of Texas averaged 34.3-483-3.9

Cain turned in an 8-201-0 campaign, which was buoyed by his 4 catch 100-yard performance in the Alamo Bowl.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

So maybe he should get a chance to develop them. He hired a good enough staff that has the ability to develop. The only position group that didn't really develop was the WR room, but there were injuries there, and it turned out we weren't as deep there as we initially thought. I think you could go through every Big 12 team, and their 3rd WR outperformed Cain by a wide margin.

Cain turned in an 8-201-0 campaign.

Don't confuse my frustration with wanting to make change. I've had my fill with the 3 year coaching shuffle that has been going on in Austin. I'd give him 5 years tbh (unless the wheels completely fall off). 

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

You’re crowing about recruiting wins? I guess that’s all we have to hang our hat on right now while we watch a bad coach take his team (from our conference) to the NC game.

(very sad) lol indeed.

You said anybody other than Sarkisian, so who would have gotten us to the NC game? You don’t have to guess about that being all we can crow about lol. It’s how you start the base correctly after an abomination of a 10 year run. Who would have won the big 12 for us? How about this, what record do you predict for tcu next year? You think dykes has built a staff and is building a roster that will win 10 games a year for the next 10 years? That’s what sark is attempting, at least I hope so lol. Trench recruiting is the best we’ve had since Royal. Oh and we are sad, the glory days are gone man. 

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Cain turned in an 8-201-0 campaign, which was buoyed by his 4 catch 100-yard performance in the Alamo Bowl.

I think this is another Sark thing. I don't recall him ever going 3 significantly deep at WR. 

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

You said anybody other than Sarkisian, so who would have gotten us to the NC game? You don’t have to guess about that being all we can crow about lol. It’s how you start the base correctly after an abomination of a 10 year run. Who would have won the big 12 for us? How about this, what record do you predict for tcu next year? You think dykes has built a staff and is building a roster that will win 10 games a year for the next 10 years? That’s what sark is attempting, at least I hope so lol. Trench recruiting is the best we’ve had since Royal. Oh and we are sad, the glory days are gone man. 

Mack had the trench recruiting on lock early on, then made some disastrous hires at OL, and let Bo Davis go back to Alabama while keeping Oscar Giles.

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Two of those rosters are loaded to the gills with nfl talent. How is that comparable? Quentin Johnston is a better receiver than we’ve had in 10 years lol. I dare say if he was on our roster now we would have won a couple more games. We are building something that will compete in the sec and hopefully win a lot of games year in and year out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slacks said:

I think this is another Sark thing. I don't recall him ever going 3 significantly deep at WR. 

If Neyor had been healthy, we would have seen a lot more 11 personnel. Cain was shit, so we played 12 and 21 more. Same thing with Whittington. Sarkisian schemed him into positions where he could succeed, but he's not an above average WR, and neither was Worthy this year. If Worthy leaves, it will hurt, but I hope he announces soon enough that we can go get some experienced portal WRs. If Worthy does leave, the only healthy WRs we might have for spring are Cain, Thompson, Red, Cook, and Moore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Let’s get him to 9 for the second time in his career before we dive head first into 4 feet of water talking about 10 years of 10+ wins a year.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Two of those rosters are loaded to the gills with nfl talent. How is that comparable? Quentin Johnston is a better receiver than we’ve had in 10 years lol. I dare say if he was on our roster now we would have won a couple more games. We are building something that will compete in the sec and hopefully win a lot of games year in and year out. 

and TCU has 36 upperclassmen out of the 44 players on their 2 deep.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, troph said:

Let’s get him to 9 for the second time in his career before we dive head first into 4 feet of water talking about 10 years of 10+ wins a year.

I don’t have a clue if he can even win 8 games a year for 10 years. I’m saying the foundation he is laying is the best way to win 10 games a year for 10 years, recruit better than all but 4 or 5 teams every year then hire good coaches. Oh and don’t be a douche bag that treats players like shit. I don’t think we could have found a “better” coach for the situation we were in is all I’m saying. Kirk herbstreit called us a cesspool on live television in 2016 lol. Urban told us we were too spineless to do what was necessary to win and that we were a joke in the departments that were necessary to compete with the big boys.  Which bad ass coach steps into that mess and just turns it all around? Aranda won a big 12 title which is great but it appears that he’s fucked now. Air Force took them to the woodshed. Patterson got ran off for losing to Sark lol. Campbell is having a great little run lol. 7-6 to 4-8. I want to win too, but we suck at hiring coaches. It is what it is. I’ll stay on the “hope he figures it out” train probably forever because the alternative is to become an asshole that starts a thread called “this is who he is” LOL. 

• Hook 'Em 9

On 12/30/2022 at 9:04 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

Yeah, I think we are. And I already said complaining about those two games was valid. 

If you don’t see the culturally rotten roster of gutless wonders that was here for Sarkisian — Bo Davis’ bus rant — then we’re just starting from wildly different premises. 

Thank Christ Montrell Estell got booted. Motherfucker was sucking up a scholly to the tune of 8 years. Glad he was a dumb fuck and filmed the rant that got him kicked off the team. 

On 12/30/2022 at 9:12 AM, Starfleet Command said:

Herman would have crashed hard last year though.  To his credit Texas was a tough, physical team during his tenure but I think he's dependent on having a physical QB who can play hero ball and he wouldn't have had that last year.  

He should have been fired for hiring Herb Hand, Mehringer, Valai, his buddies and Beck, but I digress. 

On 12/30/2022 at 9:14 AM, closetohumping said:

If herman was going 7-3 with a shitty culture and coke problem, what does that tell you about sark at 5-7

He needs coke instead of alcohol?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Steve Sarkisian has won 9 games 1x and never won 10 and you think he’s gonna win 10 for 10 years.

Dragons Den GIF by BBC

8 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

You think dykes has built a staff and is building a roster that will win 10 games a year for the next 10 years? That’s what sark is attempting,

I was just listening to the Andy Staples Podcast while I worked out. Ari Wasserman said TCU brought in 13 new guys from the transfer portal in the off-season. CFB has changed. Dykes is embracing this change. Sark is not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I was just listening to the Andy Staples Podcast while I worked out. Ari Wasserman said TCU brought in 13 new guys from the transfer portal in the off-season. CFB has changed. Dykes is embracing this change. Sark is not. 

He’s embracing it in a different way. TCU is looking for something like an old school (KSU] JUCO model and Texas is looking to patch holes. Don’t pretend Sark didn’t turn over this roster like a MF.

The portal model might even work if you can manage to get what you need from players bailing and being cast off from other teams every year and manage to make it all cohesive every year. It’s not impossible, but it seems to me that it’s much riskier with much more volatility. Sure, you might catch lightning in a bottle every so often. And you might be below average the rest of the time. 

The foundational model — which I suspect is where Georgia, Alabama, etc. will stay — will look to build long term depth and cohesion in the traditional way while supplementing that to cover injuries, bad evaluation, or weak years at a position.

We’ll see how that goes for teams taking each approach. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

He’s embracing it in a different way. TCU is looking for something like an old school (KSU] JUCO model and Texas is looking to patch holes. Don’t pretend Sark didn’t turn over this roster like a MF.

The portal model might even work if you can manage to get what you need from players bailing and being cast off from other teams every year and manage to make it all cohesive every year. It’s not impossible, but it seems to me that it’s much riskier with much more volatility. Sure, you might catch lightning in a bottle every so often. And you might be below average the rest of the time. 

The foundational model — which I suspect is where Georgia, Alabama, etc. will stay — will look to build long term depth and cohesion in the traditional way while supplementing that to cover injuries, bad evaluation, or weak years at a position.

We’ll see how that goes for teams taking each approach. 

This is correct, no one is winning consistently at the Bama / Georgia level taking multiple players from the portal who didn’t see the field at P5 programs and expecting them to produce at that level. There are exceptions, and certainly occasional rising stars, but the best programs will be built with limited needs being met from the portal.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, troph said:

This is correct, no one is winning consistently at the Bama / Georgia level taking multiple players who didn’t see the field at P5 programs and expecting them to produce at that level. There are exceptions, and certainly occasional rising stars, but the best programs will be built with limited needs being met from the portal.

And I’m not privy to Sarkisian’s thought process, but if Catalon indeed signs, that’s two potentially solid upgrades in the secondary to go with, hopefully, a better and more consistent punter. Not super splashy or worthy of a podcast, maybe, but maybe a big difference in what the defense can do, especially if there are any worthwhile snaps to be had among the freshmen. 

The portal has upsides, but churning, say, OL so your young guys never get experience and you never build depth isn’t one of them. Sure, you take your lumps with a young OL with the vision that your program is here for the long term, not just this season. IMO. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Steve Sarkisian has won 9 games 1x and never won 10 and you think he’s gonna win 10 for 10 years.

Dragons Den GIF by BBC

I clearly stated later in this thread that I’m not certain he can win 8 games every year consistently, but the method for which he is building this team supports above average winning for a long time. OL/DL have been completely turned around, we went into Louisiana for their top offensive and defensive recruits, we signed the #1 rb and LB. Sark is doing exactly what Mack did from a talent perspective and I think he’s doing it with a staff better suited to help these kids improve year to year. Will he take the next step to winning consistently at a high level like a harbaugh? I have no fuckin clue man. I hope so though, lol. I don’t want you to think I hate your opinion either, we need level headed, less sunshine pumping opinions just as much as we need mine. It makes this board a fun place to be. Sorry I called you an asshole lol. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1