This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

And I’ll go a step further - a coach giving the media or the refs any kind of earful - while it might not be my tact - is completely in the bounds of being a competitive coach.  

a coach demanding excellence in all aspects of a player’s life is 100% in bounds, I don’t care what the score is. 

a grown man escalating to within one step of a fist fight with another grown man who is just doing his job is whack.  Y’all understand that the bigger man was the crowd control guy who deescalated right?  Y’all realize sark probably assaulted him right? Like legally assaulted him. Y’all realize the next step was a punch being thrown right?  The level of meh whatever here is kinda surprising. I’m not saying he should get the beard suspension treatment but it’s definitely something to note and to remember and if I was his AD I absolutely would talk to him and say you aren’t doing anyone a favor, especially yourself with that antic, and you’re not to pull that stunt again. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

The below information is why I'm really not a fan of Ex-Qb's becoming head coaches, defensive minded guys are more preferable for me personally. They seem to understand controlling the LOS and don't fall in love with throwing it around too much. Offensive minded guys seem to gravitate to the pass way too much. 

0-3 in games Texas passes 39 times or more. 

5-0 in games with 40+ rushing attempts

2-5 in games with less than 35 rushing attempts

It's so blatantly clear the path to success this year was through the legs of Bijan/Roschon.

Rojo average 7.7 carries per game. 

3-0 when Rojo had double digit carries. 

The largest deficit Texas has faced this season was in the Alamo Bowl when down 27-10 in the 3rd Quarter. 

At no point in any game should the running game have been abandoned which it was multiple times (Tech, OK St, TCU) 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think he’s smart enough to be a successful head coach at Texas.   I’m not sure he’s smart enough to be both HC and OC.  I agree with the poster yesterday (Tex Pete) who said his game management suffers because of the stress the OC job puts on him.   Only a very elite few can do both well.  If I was advising him I’d tell him to start looking for an OC.  His game planning and play calling is sporadically very good to elite but not consistently good enough over the course of a whole season when coupled with HC duties.  

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

The below information is why I'm really not a fan of Ex-Qb's becoming head coaches, defensive minded guys are more preferable for me personally. They seem to understand controlling the LOS and don't fall in love with throwing it around too much. Offensive minded guys seem to gravitate to the pass way too much. 

It's so blatantly clear the path to success this year was through the legs of Bijan/Roschon.

The largest deficit Texas has faced this season was in the Alamo Bowl when down 27-10 in the 3rd Quarter. 

At no point in any game should the running game have been abandoned which it was multiple times (Tech, OK St, TCU) 

We won because RoJo carried double digits in these games ergo give the ball to RoJo double digits and we will win this game. That’s loaded with logical fallacies. 

Though generally I agree with you - the game is dynamic - we won because our OL was able to dominate the LoS so we could run well.  Was that because we handed RoJo the ball 12 times, no. RoJo had a stellar day because he was handed the ball 10+ times? No. The run game in all aspects worked including match ups, plays called and the OL matchups. in some cases the opposing team stopped the run or the OL played like freshmen, so the pass is needed to loosen them up or whatever else and that also didn’t work and Texas lost.  Sometimes the run was working and sark got cute. It’s more dynamic though than just give RoJo and BJ the ball. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Trying to correlate run and pass splits with winning is flawed logic, as pointed out above.

We had to throw the ball 19 times in the 4th quarter against Washington because we were freaking down 17 points. 40% of our passing attempts came in one quarter. Same thing against OSU. 15 of Ewers’ 49 attempts came in the final 8 minutes of the game when we HAD to throw the ball. Same against TCU, he was at 29 attempts when we got down 2 scores and had to throw the ball in the 4th quarter.

When you are winning a game, you typically run the ball more late, inflating your run totals. That is how football works.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, troph said:

We won because RoJo carried double digits in these games ergo give the ball to RoJo double digits and we will win this game. That’s loaded with logical fallacies. 

Though generally I agree with you - the game is dynamic - we won because our OL was able to dominate the LoS so we could run well.  Was that because we handed RoJo the ball 12 times, no. RoJo had a stellar day because he was handed the ball 10+ times? No. The run game in all aspects worked including match ups, plays called and the OL matchups. in some cases the opposing team stopped the run or the OL played like freshmen, so the pass is needed to loosen them up or whatever else and that also didn’t work and Texas lost.  Sometimes the run was working and sark got cute. It’s more dynamic though than just give RoJo and BJ the ball. 

No, you're right about that. I'm not saying if you start the game off by giving ROJO 12 straight carries that doesn't mean you win. What I'm saying is we shied away from the running game way too fast in favor of a true freshman throwing deep balls to invisible receivers. 

Here's a perfect example (because a common theme seems to be "TCU shut down Bijan") Here's TCU's commitment to their running game despite Texas "shutting it down"

Kendre Miller running sequence vs Texas

1 for 5 yds

2 for -3 yds

3 for 4 yds

5 for 6 yds

6 for 4 yds

7 for 2 yds

8 for 4 yds

9 for 2 yds

10 for 5 yds

11 for 3 yds

12 for 5 yds

13 for -1 yd

14 for -1 yd

15 for 4 yds

At this Point Miller had 15 carries for 39 yds  2.6 YPC

***16 for 75 yds TD***

17 for 6 yds

18 for 9 yds

20 for 2 yds

21 for 1 yd

21 carries for 138 yds 1 TD 6.6 YPC

The point is, when you have a dynamic player like Bijan Robinson, he can take one to the house at any point in time. He was given 12 carries during this game which is down right criminal. Meanwhile, QE was given the green light to launch 39 throw punts. 

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

I agree Sark does out thinks himself at times when calling plays. 100% in favor of him having a legit OC calling plays and he acts the HC part. I also agree BJ should have 15 touches at a minimum plus 3-5 passes thrown to him per game. He was under utilized imo.

Edited by troph

58 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Trying to correlate run and pass splits with winning is flawed logic, as pointed out above.

We had to throw the ball 19 times in the 4th quarter against Washington because we were freaking down 17 points. 40% of our passing attempts came in one quarter. Same thing against OSU. 15 of Ewers’ 49 attempts came in the final 8 minutes of the game when we HAD to throw the ball. Same against TCU, he was at 29 attempts when we got down 2 scores and had to throw the ball in the 4th quarter.

When you are winning a game, you typically run the ball more late, inflating your run totals. That is how football works.

Not always the case, but yes that's factual more often than not. Lets have the game sequence do the talking though. 

YARN | Maybe we should make sure. Let's check it out. | My Cousin Vinny  (1992) | Video clips by quotes | 2bbc07b2 | 紗

Bijan Robinson running sequence vs TCU

1st Qtr 0-0

1 for 3 yds

2 for 0 yds

3 for 2 yds

4 for 1 yd

2nd Qtr TCU 0-0

5 for 8 yds

6 for 9 yds

7 for 0 yds

3rd Qtr TCU 3-0

8 for 0 yds

9 for 0 yds

10 for 0 yds

11 for -1 yd

4th Qtr TCU 17-3

***12 for 7 yds*** Last Carry of the game for Bijan. 

Quinn Ewers sequence by Quarter

1 for incomplete

2 for incomplete

3 for sacked -6 yds

4 for incomplete

End 1st Qtr 0/3 sacked for -6 yds

5 for incomplete

6 for incomplete

7 for incomplete

8 for incomplete

9 for interception

10 for 3 yds

11 for incomplete

12 for 12 yds

13 for 15 yds

14 for incomplete 

15 for incomplete

16 for 9 yds

End of 2nd Qtr   4/12   39 yds  1 int

Halftime Stats 4/15   39 yds 1 int

AT this point in the game the score is TCU 3-0

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

No, you're right about that. I'm not saying if you start the game off by giving ROJO 12 straight carries that doesn't mean you win. What I'm saying is we shied away from the running game way too fast in favor of a true freshman throwing deep balls to invisible receivers. 

Here's a perfect example (because a common theme seems to be "TCU shut down Bijan") Here's TCU's commitment to their running game despite Texas "shutting it down"

Kendre Miller running sequence vs Texas

1 for 5 yds

2 for -3 yds

3 for 4 yds

5 for 6 yds

6 for 4 yds

7 for 2 yds

8 for 4 yds

9 for 2 yds

10 for 5 yds

11 for 3 yds

12 for 5 yds

13 for -1 yd

14 for -1 yd

15 for 4 yds

At this Point Miller had 15 carries for 39 yds  2.6 YPC

***16 for 75 yds TD***

17 for 6 yds

18 for 9 yds

20 for 2 yds

21 for 1 yd

21 carries for 138 yds 1 TD 6.6 YPC

The point is, when you have a dynamic player like Bijan Robinson, he can take one to the house at any point in time. He was given 12 carries during this game which is down right criminal. Meanwhile, QE was given the green light to launch 39 throw punts. 

Exactly my opinion. As I pointed out in the bowl thread, J Brooks had the only two TDs of the game for us on 8 total touches. How does our dipshit coaching staff not ride that guy for at least double that amount of touches?

Bijan should have had over 2000 total yards but we went Jack Pardee run and shoot in too many games.

Sark is the football analog to Shaka Smart. Capable of amassing a ton of talent but incapable of game day coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So, it's weird... If you look back at Sark's career, I'm pretty sure he is a run heavy play caller, because it sets up the big PA plays.

So give him two NFL RBs and a freshman QB, and he seems pass happy.

Granted, we would have scored a bit more if half the drops weren't drops.

I'm not sure Sark is the guy, but I do think he's trending on the right direction. 

Some people don't have any patience and think we're something we've never been in my lifetime outside of 5 years of high level talent at almost every position, most importantly, QB.

Since Colt, we've had Cleveland Browns level success at finding a QB and an Offensive philosophy.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

IMO the game wasn't out of reach enough to warrant damn near 50 passes. We never even tried to run really after the first half

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

HC - Sarkisian

OC - Sarkisian

Total - 1 

or should we go to:

HC - Sarkisian

OC - Riley Minor

Total - 2

Naaah, we don't need a separate OC. We've got a renowned QB whisperer, who has clearly trained and conditioned 2 years' worth of QBs. Can't wait to see what he can do with Maalik. Or the kid from NO.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Wait wait wait wait...............please tell me that someone from B A Y L O R  is criticizing a head coach at Texas for culture.

"The murder of Patrick Dennehy, an American college basketball player for Baylor University, occurred on June 12, 2003, when he was shot by Baylor teammate Carlton Dotson.[1] The murder set off a chain of events which led to the Baylor basketball scandal, in which the university's men's basketball program was investigated and punished for numerous infractions by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)." 

"The Baylor University sexual assault scandal was the result of numerous allegations of and convictions for sexual and non-sexual assaults committed by Baylor University students, mostly players in the Baylor Bears football team. During a period from about 2012 to 2016, school officials suppressed reports of rapes and sexual misconduct.  In 2016, Baylor's football team came under fire when it was revealed university officials had failed to take action regarding the alleged rapes and assaults. The scandal led to the ousting of head football coach Art Briles, the demotion and eventual resignation of Baylor president Ken Starr, the resignation of athletic director Ian McCaw, and the firing of two others connected with the football program."

• Like 1

The fact that he (1) sued USC claiming they violated the Americans with Disabilities Act for firing him because he was coaching drunk and (2) never dropped the case, even years later when he was sober, and hung in until he finally lost the suit (obvious outcome, btw) make me think he’s actually still not a very good guy, nor a very realistic one, no matter how affable he is and no matter how much people say he was a different guy at Washington/USC.   He apparently has surface charm, but I’d be leery of the look under the hood with him.
There are actually lots of little things with him that you could probably say are petty but that make me raise eyebrows. I remember at one of his introductory conferences when we hired him he claimed he had a 1,000 rusher every year he had been a head coach or offensive coordinator.  That was blatantly false - there was more than one year at USC when he didn’t.  At the time everyone jumped on me for picking nits, but the issue isn’t whether it was important that he had a 1,000 rusher or RB by committee.  It was that he just blatantly lied about easily verifiable information and made those lies part of his planned remarks.
Also, he listed his house in Rollingwood for like double what better properties in Westlake we’re going for and couldn’t sell it for fucking ever even though Austin is the hottest real estate market in the country.  I’m not sure he’s a very realistic person in a lot of ways.
The lawsuit thing could have been more about an overzealous lawyer, same with the house thing but insert real estate agent. The stretching the truth about 1k yard rushers isn't a good look, just not sure it's an important detail.

16 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Who gives a shit about being classy and nice. That hasn’t won us shit this past decade. I’m all for Angry Sark. Fuck all of you.

Not looking for necessarily “classy” and definitely not “nice”. I just want an HC that acts like a professional, especially after the Tom Herman buffoonery. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I happen to think that Anwar is a bitch for releasing video. You think if one of the Texags idiots had a video of jimbo doing the same that they would post it? Anwar knew what this was going to happen - he would get clicks and retweets. He was a bitch for asking worthy about his transfer status before the bowl game. He cries and moans about lack of training camp access. But, then he goes and posts this. To summarize, fuck Anwar. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Delta Charlie said:

I happen to think that Anwar is a bitch for releasing video. You think if one of the Texags idiots had a video of jimbo doing the same that they would post it? Anwar knew what this was going to happen - he would get clicks and retweets. He was a bitch for asking worthy about his transfer status before the bowl game. He cries and moans about lack of training camp access. But, then he goes and posts this. To summarize, fuck Anwar. 

Like i said, this was planned.  Powers that be are trying to change the nice guy sark image  

2 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

Great Post "Delta Charlie" !!! 🤘

I don't think the video is a big deal but it is weird.  Who does that?  That is Matt Campbell type shit.  A normal coach I bet probably doesn't even notice, they have dude's holding them on the sideline all the time.  Even if they did notice I would expect them to wave the guy off or just, you know, wait to go out of the tunnel like the dude is trying to get you to do.  The % of coaches who would drop multiple F bombs on a guy for touching him, before a game, has to be tiny.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It's not some scandal, and I guarantee you no media member is going to ask him about it at a press conference in two months, but it was a weird look how triggered he got from the guy simply touching him in the process of doing his job. Maybe we didn't see the guy touching him prior to the vid, but if not seemed a bit aggressive from Sark.

The guy didn't need to put his hands on him like that, but Sark could have sent him the same message with his "T level" at 5 instead of 10+. "Get your hand off me, man!" Instead of "Don't fucking touch me motherfucker!

It's a viral engagement moment for Anwar, but that's it. Let's move on.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The fact that he (1) sued USC claiming they violated the Americans with Disabilities Act for firing him because he was coaching drunk and (2) never dropped the case, even years later when he was sober, and hung in until he finally lost the suit (obvious outcome, btw) make me think he’s actually still not a very good guy, nor a very realistic one, no matter how affable he is and no matter how much people say he was a different guy at Washington/USC.   He apparently has surface charm, but I’d be leery of the look under the hood with him.

There are actually lots of little things with him that you could probably say are petty but that make me raise eyebrows. I remember at one of his introductory conferences when we hired him he claimed he had a 1,000 rusher every year he had been a head coach or offensive coordinator.  That was blatantly false - there was more than one year at USC when he didn’t.  At the time everyone jumped on me for picking nits, but the issue isn’t whether it was important that he had a 1,000 rusher or RB by committee.  It was that he just blatantly lied about easily verifiable information and made those lies part of his planned remarks.

Also, he listed his house in Rollingwood for like double what better properties in Westlake we’re going for and couldn’t sell it for fucking ever even though Austin is the hottest real estate market in the country.  I’m not sure he’s a very realistic person in a lot of ways.

The problem I see with the lawsuit and the real estate listing is that both of those are heavily reliant on the advice of professionals.  Of course, he could override the professionals at any time, but in both cases (I'm sure his lawyers were contingent, and realtor), the pros have an incentive to counsel against that course of action.  And the only real incentive a real estate seller has to drop the listing price is to speed up the sale, which I doubt was an issue for Sarkisian.

More than one year at USC?  He coached there one full season and he did in fact have a 1000 yard rusher, but didn't in the second season when he was shitcanned in October.  It appears that he had a 1000 yard rusher at UW every season he was there.

Edited by TwiceHorn

19 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

It's not some scandal, and I guarantee you no media member is going to ask him about it at a press conference in two months, but it was a weird look how triggered he got from the guy simply touching him in the process of doing his job. Maybe we didn't see the guy touching him prior to the vid, but if not seemed a bit aggressive from Sark.

The guy didn't need to put his hands on him like that, but Sark could have sent him the same message with his "T level" at 5 instead of 10+. "Get your hand off me, man!" Instead of "Don't fucking touch me motherfucker!

It's a viral engagement moment for Anwar, but that's it. Let's move on.

Fuck Anwar.

• Like 1