Texas BBQ

Washpark

Barbs has probably moved into my top 10

Brisket - outstanding

Ribs - above average

turkey - not judging because i usually dont order turkey enough to be a proper judge, but it tasted good to me?

Green Spaghett - one of the best sides ive ever had at a bbq joint

Beans - different but good

cinnamon bread - meh, pass

choco pudding - homemade and solid

Sauce - incredible. Carolina vinegar style

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Threw a party recently and catered it with Hutchins BBQ in Frisco.

Now I'm old enough to remember when a) snobs would say the McKinney was the good stuff and Frisco location sucks and b) Hutchins had AYCE

That said, maybe I'm just losing the spirit for Texas BBQ, but nothing really moves the needle for me anymore. The laypeople I had over were all in awe of the delicious brisket of course, as their idea of good bbq is something this thread would ridicule, but for me, it's all very good and all very rich.

Maybe it's a young man's game.

Or maybe as BB King once said, the thrill is gone.

13 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Threw a party recently and catered it with Hutchins BBQ in Frisco.

Now I'm old enough to remember when a) snobs would say the McKinney was the good stuff and Frisco location sucks and b) Hutchins had AYCE

That said, maybe I'm just losing the spirit for Texas BBQ, but nothing really moves the needle for me anymore. The laypeople I had over were all in awe of the delicious brisket of course, as their idea of good bbq is something this thread would ridicule, but for me, it's all very good and all very rich.

Maybe it's a young man's game.

Or maybe as BB King once said, the thrill is gone.

Did McKinney get rid of the AYCE?  Last time I was in there and saw a price it was $35.  I think the first time I went it was $14.99 (was definitely under $20) and that is when you could get catfish with it and they still served cornbread muffins and hot rolls.  Damn me and that place had some good times. They had a little tv in the corner and I'd drive up watch football and kill that thing.  

21 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

Did McKinney get rid of the AYCE?  Last time I was in there and saw a price it was $35.  I think the first time I went it was $14.99 (was definitely under $20) and that is when you could get catfish with it and they still served cornbread muffins and hot rolls.  Damn me and that place had some good times. They had a little tv in the corner and I'd drive up watch football and kill that thing.  

The only AYCE in the 100 mile radius of DFW is Cousins BBQ in like...Arlington or something?...from what I understand.

Now Hutchins is like $35/lb not $35 AYCE-- they would go bankrupt with AYCE.

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The subject of Houston BBQ came up on the HEB thread.  The other day I saw a story on one of the food channels in which The Pit Room was profiled.  The owner seemed to talk the talk about Central Texas BBQ.  Any opinions on the quality of the food?

The Pit Room BBQ

I ate BBQ at the Plano HEB location and honestly the food I had I was very happy with; it's not ELITE but it's good.  I would put it over the Rudy's of the world, etc. 

9 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

I ate BBQ at the Plano HEB location and honestly the food I had I was very happy with; it's not ELITE but it's good.  I would put it over the Rudy's of the world, etc. 

I wasn't referring to HEB BBQ, I was referring to the BBQ joint in Houston called The Pit Room.  I didn't want to further derail the HEB thread by asking there.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wasn't referring to HEB BBQ, I was referring to the BBQ joint in Houston called The Pit Room.  I didn't want to further derail the HEB thread by asking there.

On a good day, it can be very, very good. I’ve also had Pit Room and a bad day and it was pretty terrible. I live right smack in between the Pit Room and Truth so I go to Truth 9 times out of 10.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The subject of Houston BBQ came up on the HEB thread.  The other day I saw a story on one of the food channels in which The Pit Room was profiled.  The owner seemed to talk the talk about Central Texas BBQ.  Any opinions on the quality of the food?

The Pit Room BBQ

Pit Room is top 5ish for bbq in Houston

On 3/22/2024 at 12:38 PM, dcbc said:

I waited to respond to these posts because I've posted about Stanley's plenty before (I live in Tyler and eat there with some frequency).  I also was taken aback by your take (and Greenspoint's) on the ribs versus the brisket since I abandoned the ribs a couple of years ago for their consistent mushiness and have found the brisket to be greatly improved over the last five years.  So I hit it up for lunch today,   I got there at about 11:45 a.m. and only had a few people in front of me (it's a bit rainy, which helped).  I got half-a-pound of brisket off the point and 3 baby backs (they threw in the fourth for free).  Side of potato salad because I like their potato salad.  

Here's my 2024 take:

Holy shit, they fixed the ribs!  The "best baby backs" description may be pretty apt.  Tender, fantastic flavor, and just a bit crispy on the outside.  I'm glad they changed whatever was causing that mush (I suspected long holding periods).  Or maybe lunch is the time to order them.  Either way, great show!

The brisket was very good---super tender with a nice bark.  It was a little more salt-present today versus the 70/30 pepper forward briskets you get elsewhere or compared to what I remember its flavor being from previous visits.  I don't mind that though, and it wasn't overly salty for my taste.  Overall, it was very flavorful  and  melted in my mouth, moreso even than the brisket I had last week at Terry Blacks.  So I'd push back on the "mediocre" sentiment on that one.  I've had their lean brisket plenty of times as well, and it's quite good too.  But if it's just me, I order from the point and am consistently happy with what I get.

As for the sausage: Since I moved away from their ribs, I've had it plenty.  It's not bad, but it's nothing special.  For a while, it was a German blend made for them by a local meat market.  I seem to recall they switched suppliers at some point and may have switched again recently.  But I could see it being received as mediocre.  It's fine, but not special.  They also have hot links because it's east Texas.  I've had them when they've sold out of sausage before but don't bother with them otherwise.

P.S.  Ah, the Clucker.  I've had plenty of them and highly recommend them.  Most of the time, I want brisket, ribs, and sausage though.  But if it's someone's only visit, I recommend getting one and some to-go boxes.

c70be7479639d54f99b6ba9d3ea61ed8.jpg

Glad the ribs popped for you too. They knocked my socks off. Just by your picture I can tell your brisket is far superior to what I was served. Probably just got some from a bad brisket. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What do the operating hours have to do with the quality of the food?

It's not the quality of the food, as most agree it's top notch.  It's comparing a place that is only open 1 or 2 days a week to places that are open 5 or 6 days a week.  Same argument we all make about making 1 brisket vs making 100 - pumping out consistently quality food in quantity is simply a different animal.

• Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, Mittens said:

It's not the quality of the food, as most agree it's top notch.  It's comparing a place that is only open 1 or 2 days a week to places that are open 5 or 6 days a week.  Same argument we all make about making 1 brisket vs making 100 - pumping out consistently quality food in quantity is simply a different animal.

Eh, if they're pumping out the same # briskets on the days they're open as a Franklin or similar joint, then I think that rate argument mostly falls apart.  I suppose they have an advantage in terms of recovering (cleaning, repair, etc.) though.

I imagine a place like Snow's just doesn't need to be open that much because some of their overhead is essentially zero (mainly, rent).  I don't know that for a fact, though.  Whatever, I'm spitballing here.

There’s a huge difference between preparing bbq for a batch / pop up / open one day sale and preparing bbq for a daily, continuous sale

if you’re a batch / pop up / open one day type place, you better be 10/10 every time. Zero excuses for not having perfect brisket  your one day a week

1.  Is your BBQ delicious?

2.  Is it for sale?

3.  Are you open today?

If the answers to each of these questions is yes, I don't care if the place is closed 6 days per week.  Should that make a difference in the rankings?  Sure.  But as far as the question of should a person try this place goes, it's not relevant in the least.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, dcbc said:

But as far as the question of should a person try this place goes, it's not relevant in the least.

Certainly.  But that's not the argument at hand.  The argument is whether places that are open 1 or 2 days a week should be in the running for James Beard Awards.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Certainly.  But that's not the argument at hand.  The argument is whether places that are open 1 or 2 days a week should be in the running for James Beard Awards.

I forgot we still were talking about the Beard award.  My mistake.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I guess they can decide their own criteria. 

If the Mittens awards require a minimum number of hours a week to be considered then those places wouldn’t qualify. 

As it currently stands, you don’t get a say. 

On 3/30/2024 at 2:59 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Barbs has probably moved into my top 10

Brisket - outstanding

Ribs - above average

turkey - not judging because i usually dont order turkey enough to be a proper judge, but it tasted good to me?

Green Spaghett - one of the best sides ive ever had at a bbq joint

Beans - different but good

cinnamon bread - meh, pass

choco pudding - homemade and solid

Sauce - incredible. Carolina vinegar style

so that ran you what, about 800 bucks?

18 hours ago, Deej said:

Cooper's downtown has raised the price on a half chicken to $21.99. Fuck that.

lulz

6 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Thats why I think Snows is meh and not worth the hype. Its basically a permanent popup

barb’s superior to snow’s.  that’s marvelous. 

5 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

I guess they can decide their own criteria. 

If the Mittens awards require a minimum number of hours a week to be considered then those places wouldn’t qualify. 

As it currently stands, you don’t get a say. 

No, I mean I actually forgot what we're talking about, and there's no comparison.  I agree.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Probably tired of the people who work downtown just coming in for a $10 half chicken and free beans lunch. 

then they shouldn’t be paying downtown rent.  $22 for half a smoked chicken is lunacy.

• Rage+1 1

On 4/5/2024 at 11:03 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, if they're pumping out the same # briskets on the days they're open as a Franklin or similar joint, then I think that rate argument mostly falls apart.  I suppose they have an advantage in terms of recovering (cleaning, repair, etc.) though.

I imagine a place like Snow's just doesn't need to be open that much because some of their overhead is essentially zero (mainly, rent).  I don't know that for a fact, though.  Whatever, I'm spitballing here.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:23 AM, Mittens said:

On 4/5/2024 at 7:18 AM, HenryJames said:

Both places are only open two days a week. Ridiculous.

I'll cut anyone in a town of sub 1800 people a huge amount of slack. It's hard to make it there

Two days a week in a town of 15k people is dumb. That's without considering the hours of the other bbq spots there: Black's is open 7 days a week 10-8. Terry Black's is basically the same. Same for Kreutz but they close at 6p one night. Smittys is 7-6 6 days a week and 9-6 on Sunday. 

...Unless someone is willing to let Barbs run at a huge loss long term there is no way they are open 2 days a week when the next Top 50 drops.

6 hours ago, NoName said:

I'll cut anyone in a town of sub 1800 people a huge amount of slack. It's hard to make it there

Two days a week in a town of 15k people is dumb. That's without considering the hours of the other bbq spots there: Black's is open 7 days a week 10-8. Terry Black's is basically the same. Same for Kreutz but they close at 6p one night. Smittys is 7-6 6 days a week and 9-6 on Sunday. 

...Unless someone is willing to let Barbs run at a huge loss long term there is no way they are open 2 days a week when the next Top 50 drops.

And they probably will have better hours once they feel like they can.  They have said they were open to it from the beginning.

Folks that expand too quickly get so much shit on this site.  Here we have an operation taking its time and while dealing with insane expectations (NY Times), yet they're getting more shit.  Why?  The Q is excellent.  The owners seem young, but I think they've played this very well.  Doesn't look like they're hurting.

Hit LeRoy and Lewis Barbecue's new brick and mortar yesterday.  Got there around 11:30 and it was a two hour wait.  Probably the busiest time of the entire week. 

They have an "Anytime Eats" menu which can be ordered at the bar with no line, no waiting.   Burgers, sandwiches, sausage wraps, onion rings, etc.  Some people ordered from this menu to eat while in line. 

Regular by-the-pound menu regular items were sliced beef, chopped beef, pulled whole hog, direct smoked chicken, and sausages.  Daily specials of beef cheeks on Fridays; brisket and bacon ribs on Saturdays; and pork chops, beef barbacoa, and lamb barbacoa on Sundays.   

I talked with Evan who was on the cutting board.  Sliced beef was either flat iron or chuck roast.  Flat iron tasted like brisket and chuck roast was more like smoked steak.  Both were very good. 

I ordered the two meat plate with sliced beef, whole hog, Caesar slaw, and kimchi.  My buddy ordered the Pitmaster's Platter which has both types of sliced beef, whole hog, two types of sausage, cauliflower burnt ends, miso glazed carrot, and a bunch of sides. 

20240406_134409.thumb.jpg.3b9888e4bc4c35e9a851d11dff460c31.jpg20240406_134425.thumb.jpg.3cabfe8e7611d26da9133fc6a1efc037.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Sliced beef was either flat iron or chuck roast.

Interesting.  I don't think I've ever cooked chuck roast such that I could slice it.  I've always braised & shredded it for pot roast, shredded beef tacos, etc.  Was it tough?

2 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Leroy & Lewis still has the truck at Cosmic Coffee though, yes?  I'd bet there's no line there.

They do and there are probably short lines.  However, I believe it is a reduced menu.  They didn't have the daily specials of brisket or bacon ribs yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Interesting.  I don't think I've ever cooked chuck roast such that I could slice it.  I've always braised & shredded it for pot roast, shredded beef tacos, etc.  Was it tough?

Wasn't tough - taste and consistency of a sirloin steak.  The flat iron was very tender and seasoned just like a brisket.  You can see the flat iron on my plate and both on the tray. 

Edited by Jerry Callo