2021 - 2022 Dallas Mavericks: The Vibes are Immaculate

CBT

I'm still shocked at how good they are defensively.  What the fuck was Rick doing the last couple of years?  This isnt just a flash in the pan it seems sustainable.  Its been nearly 2 months already. 

Pack your defense and Luka/KP every night you're going to be in and win a lot of games. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

They dont play AAU becauee Euros are allowed to play professionally from the age of 13 on because they don't live in countries where amateurism is glorified to the point of absurdity for the expressed purpose of allowing everyone else surrounding the "amateur" game to make as much money as possible. 

The point was the American kids travel the country together as teenagers and become friends, and want to play with their friends when they reach free agency.  The max salary means every team is basically offering the exact same contract, so it comes down to who you want to play with and where you want to play.  We apparently don’t check either of those boxes for  a lot of players.  I think signing up to play alongside prime Luka is an easier sell than trying to get guys to come here and play with post-prime Dirk, so we’ll see what happens.

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The point was the American kids travel the country together as teenagers and become friends, and want to play with their friends when they reach free agency.  The max salary means every team is basically offering the exact same contract, so it comes down to who you want to play with and where you want to play.  We apparently don’t check either of those boxes for  a lot of players.  I think signing up to play alongside prime Luka is an easier sell than trying to get guys to come here and play with post-prime Dirk, so we’ll see what happens.

I understand that, but AAU only exist as a byproduct of our ridiculous obsession with amateurism.  For 50+ years the money couldn't go to the kids directly so it goes to all these extraneous parts of the sport in lieu of going to the actual talent that could actually use it for development. American soccer is slowly starting to adjust to a European model. One day maybe basketball will as well.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

personally, I think a lot of the star US players want to beat the Euros, this started with Kukoc/Bulls.

edit to add star players.

Edited by dcar00

5 hours ago, BallamaticBevo said:

I knew our uptick in defense was fools gold. For as brilliant as he is offensively, Luka is a Dirk level liability on D.

yeah if there's anything our revolving door of an IR list has shown us this season it's how integral a healthy KP is to our defense.  

and i hate this lineup we closed the game with - luka, jb, dodo, maxi, bullock.  the last three guys have relegated themselves to spot up 3 point shooters.  it's at its worst when luka controls the ball and everyone's watching (even JB).  i get the best way to use him is the PnR but 1.)  he uses a lot of clock to get into the play 2.)  it freezes the rest of our players making it easy for the defense to set up and rebound 3.)  luka's prone to careless streaks.  i would let brunson be the primary responsibility bearer for bringing the ball up and then let luka get into the PnR at the logo.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Luka playing well but also stupid with fouls. Intentionally fouls on a close out blow by to avoid an easy layup early on the second to get his 2nd, then gets called for a charge with 40 seconds left in the half for his 4th. 

No reason to burn one of 6 so early in a game over a layup, and no reason to be so aggressive that late in the half. 

having finally been able to catch an entire game, if this is the way the refs run our gams, we are going deep in to june when national tv kicks in for every game

one might almost hypothesize that the removing both starting guards through "fouls" was necessary to keep the game interesting for espn

as soon as luka came back in, it was a walk

Was at the game last night and just loved, I mean loved, the game Bullock had. Shutting down “Ice Trey” who is easily the most hateable player in the NBA on D and then hitting daggers was awesome. Loved the genuine smiles and love he was giving and getting too, probably the best game he’s had in the NBA.

Also the move that Luka put on Capella to get an easy floater was the sickest move of the night (on a great player who didn’t play a ton, weird) and had the crowd ecstatic. That play and then trey turnover down the court and then the dagger Bullock 3 in short order was worth the price of admission alone.

Dwight Powell continues to mostly be horrible and confusing everyone how he is on an NBA roster getting playing time, but even he didn’t do his usual missing a dunk or anything stupid and got some clean up points.

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Like 1