A massive solar flare just erupted from our sun.

Parliament

My recent education and extensive research on solar flares (conducted and acquired over the last 5 minutes with the aid of Google and Wikipedia) tells me this will likely be a non-event.

While it was indeed classified as a class X solar flare (the most intense classification), it's only an X1.

Per NASA:

Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth’s atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however — when intense enough — they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel.

This flare is classified as an X1-class flare.

X-class denotes the most intense flares, while the number provides more information about its strength. An X2 is twice as intense as an X1, an X3 is three times as intense, etc. Flares that are classified X10 or stronger are considered unusually intense.

Much more powerful ones such as the class X45 Halloween Solar Storms of 2003 and the class X5.7 Bastille Day event have hit us in the fairly recent past. So, we should be grateful we won't see our telegraph operators getting severe electrical shocks like they did during the Carrington event of 1859 when the aurora could be seen as far south as central Mexico. That must've been something, I dare say.

At any rate, here's a neat photo of the flare taken by NASA this morning:

A satellite image of the Sun, colored in teal, shows a bright flare at the Sun's lower center.

NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory captured this image of a solar flare — as seen in the bright flash at the Sun’s lower center — on Oct. 28, 2021. The image shows a subset of extreme ultraviolet light that highlights the extremely hot material in flares and which is colorized here in teal. Credit: NASA/SDO

https://blogs.nasa.gov/solarcycle25/2021/10/28/sun-releases-significant-solar-flare/

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, bolverk said:

My recent education and extensive research on solar flares (conducted and acquired over the last 5 minutes with the aid of Google and Wikipedia) tells me this will likely be a non-event.

While it was indeed classified as a class X solar flare (the most intense classification), it's only an X1.

Per NASA:

Much more powerful ones such as the class X45 Halloween Solar Storms of 2003 and the class X5.7 Bastille Day event have hit us in the fairly recent past. So, we should be grateful we won't see our telegraph operators getting severe electrical shocks like they did during the Carrington event of 1859 when the aurora could be seen as far south as central Mexico. That must've been something, I dare say.

A satellite image of the Sun, colored in teal, shows a bright flare at the Sun's lower center.

NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory captured this image of a solar flare — as seen in the bright flash at the Sun’s lower center — on Oct. 28, 2021. The image shows a subset of extreme ultraviolet light that highlights the extremely hot material in flares and which is colorized here in teal. Credit: NASA/SDO

https://blogs.nasa.gov/solarcycle25/2021/10/28/sun-releases-significant-solar-flare/

What level is the X"get this shit over with/cleanse with fire" solar flare? Sort of rooting for that one. 

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Per NASA:

Fake ass shit.  Everybody know the sun is yellow-orange.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1