[Game Thread] Texas at Baylor 11am on ABC

GreenspointTexas

This looks more like a Charlie team than a Herman team where by the end of the game we just don’t even look competitive.

Is the talent level in the program back to where it was in 2015 and 2016?  What happened?  I thought Herman recruited well his first couple of seasons or was that a mirage?  

I don’t want to come to any conclusions yet about how Sark will turn out here but at the same time this team isn’t coming to close to meeting our expectations (9+ wins and at least a threat to win the conference) heading into this season.  Maybe those expectations weren’t reasonable though. 

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

This looks more like a Charlie team than a Herman team where by the end of the game we just don’t even look competitive.

Is the talent level in the program back to where it was in 2015 and 2016?  What happened?  I thought Herman recruited well his first couple of seasons or was that a mirage?  

I don’t want to come to any conclusions yet about how Sark will turn out here but at the same time this team isn’t coming to close to meeting our expectations (9+ wins and at least a threat to win the conference) heading into this season.  Maybe those expectations weren’t reasonable though. 

We are simply not executing in the 4th quarter.

42 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If you could make a deal with the devil where we win a National Championship, but then we suck for the following 20 years, would you take the deal?

Back in 2005 somebody made that deal.....There is no other explanation.

So that's the real Mack Brown Curse?

Does no one look at how recruiting classes are ranked? Does no one look at the rankings. In the Big 12 it’s OU and Texas routinely for twenty years with at least a top ten or top twenty recruiting class. TCU is a far off third place. The rest of the big 12 isn’t even fucking close. It’s not all coaching of course but damn start benching some of these guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Herman had a QB who, despite his defencencies, had the will to win and push his teammates. Now we have some jagoff who cleaned out his locker, allegedly, when he wasn't named starter. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Go check out the 2018 recruiting class. Half of them portaled or got injured, the other half just plain suck. Those are the guys who should be leading this team right now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yet again, another team in the conference can find the guy who can right their program. But not Texas.

Whenever it's time for us and/or you guys to hire the next coach, we should ask Baylor's search committee (if one exists) or whoever's in charge of hiring coaches over there to just tell us who to hire.

I mentioned it early in this thread, but after the shit show that was the collapse of the Briles regime, somehow they hire Matt Rhule who takes them from 1-11 to the Big 12 Championship game a couple of years later.

Rhule gets poached by the NFL, so they hire the DC from LSU (and formerly, Wisconsin), and after going 2-7 in his first year he's suddenly gotten them to 7-1 and will be close to the Top 10 when the polls come out tomorrow.

For a school with some inherent disadvantages when it comes to recruiting, those 3 hires from Briles to Aranda have been mind-blowing.

On another topic, watching you guys this year has been an uncannily similar experience to watching Sherman's 2011 season at A&M, when we blew double digit leads in every loss (except to OU).  So frustrating because we were clearly good enough to come out and blow the other guys off the ball and build a big lead, but then Sherman would coach like he was still in the NFL, where teams run about 60% of the total plays run in a college game with HUNH.  Early in the season you could tell how it got into the players' heads.  By the 2nd half of the season they were expecting the other team to come back and beat us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If you could make a deal with the devil where we win a National Championship, but then we suck for the following 20 years, would you take the deal?

Back in 2005 somebody made that deal.....There is no other explanation.

Hell yeah I make that deal. It's only been 16 years. It took 35 to get to 2005.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

This is the correct answer and finally someone of this god forsaken board gets it. They simply do not know how to win.

No older players step up to make big plays in crunch time, and several older players shy away from physical contact and actually play a lot worse when it really counts...

Quite a few older players that are mentally defeated, and have lost the passion/ability to win tough games.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Herman had a QB who, despite his defencencies, had the will to win and push his teammates. Now we have some jagoff who cleaned out his locker, allegedly, when he wasn't named starter. 

I do think people underestimated how much value Sam provided and how much he would be missed. He had clear deficiencies as a QB but he fit that system fairly well and his running ability probably did more than we realized to help out our line.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

I just can’t figure that out. Maybe there’s just so little that this offense can execute that once the other team figures out how to stop our initial script/game plan we’re just fucked. 

In Mack’s prime, it seems like we won the halftime adjustment battle damn near EVERY game. I haven’t seen us do that once under Sark.

3 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Good coaches take the talent they have and improve it over time with discipline, fundamentals, and work ethic. 

Take a moment and watch Aikman's thoughts on the difference between playing for Jimmy Johnson and Switzer, and then look at their coaching records with the Cowboys. Link

One coach improved his players, the other coach didn't. The results speak for themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Whenever it's time for us and/or you guys to hire the next coach, we should ask Baylor's search committee (if one exists) or whoever's in charge of hiring coaches over there to just tell us who to hire.

I mentioned it early in this thread, but after the shit show that was the collapse of the Briles regime, somehow they hire Matt Rhule who takes them from 1-11 to the Big 12 Championship game a couple of years later.

Rhule gets poached by the NFL, so they hire the DC from LSU (and formerly, Wisconsin), and after going 2-7 in his first year he's suddenly gotten them to 7-1 and will be close to the Top 10 when the polls come out tomorrow.

For a school with some inherent disadvantages when it comes to recruiting, those 3 hires from Briles to Aranda have been mind-blowing.

On another topic, watching you guys this year has been an uncannily similar experience to watching Sherman's 2011 season at A&M, when we blew double digit leads in every loss (except to OU).  So frustrating because we were clearly good enough to come out and blow the other guys off the ball and build a big lead, but then Sherman would coach like he was still in the NFL, where teams run about 60% of the total plays run in a college game with HUNH.  Early in the season you could tell how it got into the players' heads.  By the 2nd half of the season they were expecting the other team to come back and beat us.

Go away.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Augustus said:

This is nothing like Sherman. You are fucking stupid. Go away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We saw a lot of this after the OU game last year. I’m not just talking about the Eyes. I’m talking about this sense of bullshit entitlement some of these guys have. Bench their asses. This season is over as far as a conference win and possibly a bowl game. You want to build your culture then start by allowing the younger player with the right attitude play and bench those players with the wrong attitude. Damn. Watching this is just fucking frustrating.

Aranda only won 2 games last year starting at a historically crazy time. Traylor comes in the same year and realizes he needs the team buy in so he spends every single day 8-5 with all the players in the gym and elsewhere getting to know them and their capabilities and getting them to buy in and once the day was over he recruited at night. Man Tech will be so lucky to get Traylor if all the rumors running rampant today are it’s a done deal. It’s not to be overly critical of Sark but there are some bad seeds/voices on this squad and they need to learn Hoosiers style. You don’t have the right to play. You earn it! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Let’s see if the staff has the courage (it’s called coaching) to start benching people. I doubt it. 

If they didn't do it during the bye week after back-to-back collapses, they're not going to do it now.

It's a shitshow in every aspect. Coaching, talent, etc.

We suck.

That's it.

It's only taken 12 years or so, but I'm actually all in on the "fuck it" train and freeing up my Saturdays.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Does no one look at how recruiting classes are ranked? Does no one look at the rankings. In the Big 12 it’s OU and Texas routinely for twenty years with at least a top ten or top twenty recruiting class. TCU is a far off third place. The rest of the big 12 isn’t even fucking close. It’s not all coaching of course but damn start benching some of these guys. 
You make me wanna mansplain so many things.
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

This season is over as far as a conference win and possibly a bowl game. You want to build your culture then start by allowing the younger player with the right attitude play and bench those players with the wrong attitude. Damn. Watching this is just fucking frustrating.

Yep. Your "best" players are losers. It can't get worse. A loss is a loss. Let's see some guys with something to prove. 

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

With better ball placement absolutely. It's hilarious to say Casey takes no blame for the wounded ducks he throws.

Remember the Arkansas game where Card hit JWhit in the helmet and another pass where he dropped it in the end zone…. Yeah, it doesn’t matter who is throwing them, these WRs suck.  The worst I’ve seen at Texas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Yep. Your "best" players are losers. It can't get worse. A loss is a loss. Let's see some guys with something to prove. 

I have never given up on the team but it sure is tempting. I would as you suggest rather watch players who want to play and players with chips and something to prove who want to be out there and bleed orange (win or lose) than watch players who seem to not give a fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m talking about this sense of bullshit entitlement... Bench their asses. You want to build your culture then start by allowing the younger player with the right attitude play and bench those players with the wrong attitude. Damn. Watching this is just fucking frustrating.  It’s not to be overly critical of Sark but there are some bad seeds/voices on this squad and they need to learn Hoosiers style. You don’t have the right to play. You earn it! 

Agree... both players and coaches need to be accountable for the results on the field.   

IT'S CULTURE BUILDING TIME !!!  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I just can’t figure that out. Maybe there’s just so little that this offense can execute that once the other team figures out how to stop our initial script/game plan we’re just fucked. 

Doesn't matter whether its athletic, business or simply taking tests.  Some people do better under pressure.  Some get nervous and lose focus.  They fear failure instead of expecting success.

And the leadership infects the rest of the team.  It can be the coaches.  It can be the on the field leadership.

That final drive Casey choosing to throw deep instead of in the flat to the best player to wear burnt orange in a long time has me wondering wtf.   Throw I to triple coverage to Washington. Or wide open Bijan who makes people like stupid.   

any talk of Bijan heisman is done with today by the media.  He will need to go video game numbers on freshman level with 10 min qtrs to get back in it because of this shit team 

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

That final drive Casey choosing to throw deep instead of in the flat to the best player to wear burnt orange in a long time has me wondering wtf.   Throw I to triple coverage to Washington. Or wide open Bijan who makes people like stupid.   

any talk of Bijan heisman is done with today by the media.  He will need to go video game numbers on freshman level with 10 min qtrs to get back in it because of this shit team 

Bijan for Heisman talk was done after oSu. Yet another great Texas RB we’re going to waste with shit talent around him. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Bijan for Heisman talk was done after oSu. Yet another great Texas RB we’re going to waste with shit talent around him. 

He'll win the Heisman next year with whatever team he portals to.

Edited by Deej
  • Rage+1 4

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

So many poor decisions by Casey against Oklahoma State and Baylor. Had many chance to run for 1st downs and instead threw stupid passes that got knocked down. I wanted to put this all on Moore and Washington but Casey had a huge hand in this loss too. Coaching staff really needs to send a message to these guys who continually fuck up and bench them. Leaving guys who continuously fail in above guys who think they could do better is how you lose a locker room.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim
  • Hook 'Em 1