Players on this team who should NEVER be starting:

GreenspointTexas

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What's the logic here? What evidence do you have for this? Getting destroyed by an Arkansas DL that was in his face every down with a 3-man rush and 8 guys in coverage?

Exactly

mayhe Card sucks but we don’t have much to go on yet

It’s abundantly clear that Casey is not the guy 

Casey is average, but he is much more accurate with the deep ball than Sam ever was. It’s been a while since we were throwing 50+ yard bombs downfield like this that have actually been caught.

I think this has something to do with why our WR recruiting has been shit. No elite receiver wants to go to a place where most of the QB highlights are of plays with his legs instead of downfield passes in stride to his WRs.

Sam was an excellent leader and I’m not taking away from his record here. I’m just trying to rationalize why the fuck we have nobody else from the Herman era to catch the ball. It could also be because Tom Herman was a major asshole who seriously rubbed recruits the wrong way. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Texas as a football program is broken systemically, and it is beyond repair at this point without a wholesale change. Until the football program is divorced from the academic side of this school, completely, and treated like the business that it is, we will continue to be a mediocre football program. Sadly, our fanbase seems to want Texas Football to be elite more than the University leadership does. 

8 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Texas as a football program is broken systemically, and it is beyond repair at this point without a wholesale change. Until the football program is divorced from the academic side of this school, completely, and treated like the business that it is, we will continue to be a mediocre football program. Sadly, our fanbase seems to want Texas Football to be elite more than the University leadership does. 

Well, yeah. The University of Texas is a school. Football is of secondary importance and that's how it should be. Having an elite football team is not part of its mission and it never will be. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

It's not all on Casey for sure.  I think if Washington comes down with that ball, we probably tie it.

Casey isn't a good QB...even the commentators were mentioning his poor footwork

which is pretty amazing since he gives coaching clinics with his dad

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Well yeah he drives me nuts when he has first-down-plus ahead of him and instead tucking and running he rolls the dice on our shitty receivers. And some of those drops were drivekillers and even game-changers.

Sark's anti-runinng QB doctrine might be to blame and if he's not willing to change that just because it's not part of his precious offensive philosophy, I take back all the nice things I've said about him and I say fire him at the end of this year. No coach should lock in on "their offense" if the tools you have on don't work on it. You can't build a cathedral out of cinder blocks, or public toilets out of pink granite. You work with what you have, and I am far from convinced Sark is doing that. Few do -- they just keep trying to cram square pegs in to round holes until their seat gets hot. 

Sark's anti-running QB doctrine is a figment of Surly's imagination, he wants passing qbs not running qbs but wants his qbs to run when it's there. Casey doesn't like running, period.

Bijan and Worthy are elite level talents. Would have a spot on 2005/2008 type teams.

Overshown is decent/pretty good. Would be a contributor on most Texas teams of the last 25 years.

Casey would probably be a better backup than most that we’ve had in the recent past.

Every other starter - all 18 of them - should never see the field on a Texas football team. If our standards weren’t so incredibly low due to the last decade of futility it wouldn’t even be a discussion.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Well, yeah. The University of Texas is a school. Football is of secondary importance and that's how it should be. Having an elite football team is not part of its mission and it never will be. 

man i hear you, dont like it but I hear you 

I want to yell at you but its just yelling at the clouds because I dont cheer for academic prowess . I cheer for freaking wins on the football field. Not this shit 

Fuck its hard to be a fan of this team 

4 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Bijan and Worthy are elite level talents. Would have a spot on 2005/2008 type teams.

Overshown is decent/pretty good. Would be a contributor on most Texas teams of the last 25 years.

Casey would probably be a better backup than most that we’ve had in the recent past.

Every other starter - all 18 of them - should never see the field on a Texas football team. If our standards weren’t so incredibly low due to the last decade of futility it wouldn’t even be a discussion.

I'd bet Bijan and Worthy start for just about any college team.  The rest are benchwarmers elsewhere.  Unless they're coached up.

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

The last pass to Washington was a first down if Casey just runs the fucking ball

Casey always tries to make the big play instead of taking what’s there. It’s why he initially lost the QB competition and why he sort of sucks. He’d be decent if he made better decisions instead of going for the big play every play 

That play infuriated me. 4 th down and he could have run for the first but he passes instead.

3 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

It was reported on a Bama board before the season. 

for fuck's sake I was responding to a post that said the coaches were wrong and that Bijan and Worthy are good enough. I said they would say that now but not before the season.

Edited by hookem48

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

A fire for what? The season is over.

The rest of this season and 2022.

Unless Quinn Ewers is walking through that door or Arch is enrolling on a Ewers schedule, this is what we've got. Until Arch's true freshman year at the earliest.

(Yes, I know we have Maalik.)

50 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

At that point what exactly are you rooting for and why? If you feel that way just go root for Alabama they win and also have 0 ties to the University of Texas

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Casey is average, but he is much more accurate with the deep ball than Sam ever was. It’s been a while since we were throwing 50+ yard bombs downfield like this that have actually been caught.

I think this has something to do with why our WR recruiting has been shit. No elite receiver wants to go to a place where most of the QB highlights are of plays with his legs instead of downfield passes in stride to his WRs.

Sam was an excellent leader and I’m not taking away from his record here. I’m just trying to rationalize why the fuck we have nobody else from the Herman era to catch the ball. It could also be because Tom Herman was a major asshole who seriously rubbed recruits the wrong way. 

Didn't he also have an unqualified WR coach that was a giant cunt? Mehringer or some shit?

Sark is probably regretting taking this job…. This team is mentally weak.  No fire, no passion, no urgency, no focus.  I watch other teams play and they play physical and with urgency.  This team is an embarrassment.  At this point,  all the previous football alums need to have a sit down talk with this team.  Quit and play elsewhere if you’re not going to play with some fucking pride.  The fact that Jerrin Thompson is still wearing a burnt orange jersey after he quit on two plays against ou and dove at the fucking shoes of a player should tell you all you need about how lacking of talent this program is.  

I’m fully prepared for some of these “leaders” to start opting out.  Our own fucking QB cleaned out his locker during fall camp when he wasn’t “handed” the job.  This team is full selfish entitled players.  If any player even has decent success, they leave for the draft after year 3 bc they don’t want any part of playing another year for this program.  We have a mix of older JAGs and inexperienced younger JAGs, sprinkled with walk ons starting and two decent players.  This program is fucked and recruiting isn’t exactly killing it right now…

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Sark is probably regretting taking this job…. This team is mentally weak.  No fire, no passion, no urgency, no focus.  I watch other teams play and they play physical and with urgency.  This team is an embarrassment.  At this point,  all the previous football alums need to have a sit down talk with this team.  Quit and play elsewhere if you’re not going to play with some fucking pride.  The fact that Jerrin Thompson is still wearing a burnt orange jersey after he quit on two plays against ou and dove at the fucking shoes of a player should tell you all you need about how lacking of talent this program is.  

I’m fully prepared for some of these “leaders” to start opting out.  Our own fucking QB cleaned out his locker during fall camp when he wasn’t “handed” the job.  This team is full selfish entitled players.  If any player even has decent success, they leave for the draft after year 3 bc they don’t want any part of playing another year for this program.  We have a mix of older JAGs and inexperienced younger JAGs, sprinkled with walk ons starting and two decent players.  This program is fucked and recruiting isn’t exactly killing it right now…

Didn't Jerrin have a key 4th down tackle today when we still had a chance? Feels like you're skipping over some guys to get to him as proof we're mediocre

• Hook 'Em 1

I have seen a few posts about how nobody has gotten better since the staff got here lol. I played division III football at Mary Hardin Baylor for a couple years and during game week all we did was rep the other teams offense/defense. If you can’t block a zone scheme, tackle, cover a 50/50 jump ball, catch, or not get penalized for ignorant shit 7 games into a fucking season at Texas…then you’re fucked. No coaching on earth is going to “help you along” if you’re that far behind. They have class, some had tutoring, and then the ncaa limits practice time now. After this staff has an honest offseason with these guys and they come out acting/looking the same way then I’ll pitch in on the buyout for Traylor. I’m pretty upset about how awful we are but even during those strong years we recruited decent. Not all hope is lost. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I have seen a few posts about how nobody has gotten better since the staff got here lol. I played division III football at Mary Hardin Baylor for a couple years and during game week all we did was rep the other teams offense/defense. If you can’t block a zone scheme, tackle, cover a 50/50 jump ball, catch, or not get penalized for ignorant shit 7 games into a fucking season at Texas…then you’re fucked. No coaching on earth is going to “help you along” if you’re that far behind. They have class, some had tutoring, and then the ncaa limits practice time now. After this staff has an honest offseason with these guys and they come out acting/looking the same way then I’ll pitch in on the buyout for Traylor. I’m pretty upset about how awful we are but even during those strong years we recruited decent. Not all hope is lost. 

I'd be shocked if more than half of the starters this year are starters next year. I have no faith in Casey improving, I hope we see Card get an opportunity after ISU.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

I learned most of my fundamentals in backyard football. Coaches are there to channel that to fit plays and schemes....I would be tempted to say kids just aren't playing enough backyard tackle these days, and I don't think they are, but I don't think that's only in Texas by a long shot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Anthony Cook would see significant PT on most teams in the last 15 years. That’s the only addition I can think of.

Can we all agree that Kevin Dunn is full of shit about there being no talent on this team?  Every post game show he starts by saying how the problem is lack of talent. 

In terms of raw athletic potential, Texas has at least as many talented athletes as any other Big 12 team.  I will never believe that Baylor has more athletes than Texas.  For god sake, they didn't even fill there scholarship limit 2 years ago.  The problem isn't talent.  The problem is development, technique/fundamental teaching, and accountability.

Every other team in the Big 12 has Texas beat on those 3 things.  So far Sark's staff hasn't shown much ability to provide those things.  I think Herman's staff was okay at strength development, but sucked bad at the other two, 1/3.  Now Texas may be 0/3.

I want to see it, but I just don't with Overshown, and I believe he's playing out of position in the middle of the field. He's too rangy to be getting jammed up with centers and guards...He reminds me of Andrew Kelson, and luckily we had Aaron Harris (who was only above average, really) so guys like him (and later Malik) didn't have to play what amounts to MLB.

His highlight reel is pretty skimpy -- coming into this season, it's just five plays. Two sacks, one of which saw him come untouched through the line and the other a matador block. Three picks on badly thrown balls -- he does make good plays on the ball in some of those. I hate writing people off as tweeners especially when they are as athletic as he is, and also when they are great people,  but he seems like a tweener. 

Either you let him stay at safety or you go the no half measures route and spin him all the way down to DE. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm not exactly sure what that "divorce" entails. Sounds nice, but what does it specifically mean?

Basically I am tired of blaming coaches, and recruiting, and talent, and development, and have decided that we are this shitty because of the University itself. I am broken. Teams like Alabama and Georgia, and even OU, seem to understand system-wide that football is it's own machine, and their administrations stay out of the way. But I am just looking for a new thing to punch, to be honest. Because at this point it feels like our problems are bigger than just hiring the wrong dude over and over and over again. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Atticus said:

There’s no way Sark prefers Casey to throw the ball across his body to a covered receiver downfield instead of getting positive yardage to set up a more manageable down and distance

And yet he allowed an RPO to be called for the punter.

8 hours ago, Atticus said:

There’s no way Sark prefers Casey to throw the ball across his body to a covered receiver downfield instead of getting positive yardage to set up a more manageable down and distance

And yet he allowed an RPO to be called for the punter.