Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think this is likely.

Who do you think is going to declare? Honestly? We're sort of in a gap of player ages. MOST of our elite talent is true sophomores or younger. Of our juniors, I don't see Ehlinger going anywhere. Cosmi is a redshirt Soph, so he could go, but that seems unlikely. Literally most of our Junior class is just not elite talent or would have to have some kind of insane breakout seasons to go pro, like All American and award winning type seasons. I mean outside of who is mentioned your best shots are Kerstetter and Chris Brown...maybe Josh Thompson? Most of the guys in contention have never even started more than a handful of games and are extremely unproven or haven't shown draftable types of skills.  

Would love to be proven incorrect. 

Only guy I could see leaving early is Rob Cummins. He's due for a monster season.

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Who do you think is going to declare? Honestly? We're sort of in a gap of player ages. MOST of our elite talent is true sophomores or younger. Of our juniors, I don't see Ehlinger going anywhere. Cosmi is a redshirt Soph, so he could go, but that seems unlikely. Literally most of our Junior class is just not elite talent or would have to have some kind of insane breakout seasons to go pro, like All American and award winning type seasons. I mean outside of who is mentioned your best shots are Kerstetter and Chris Brown...maybe Josh Thompson? Most of the guys in contention have never even started more than a handful of games and are extremely unproven or haven't shown draftable types of skills.  

Wouldn’t the 2018 class early entrees affect the 2021 class number? 

55 minutes ago, JNip said:

Can someone dare predict the 2021 class? Read somewhere that right now, it would be a 20 player class. That number probably goes up.

QB x 1

RB x 2

WR x 3

TE x 1

OL x 5

DL x 2

LB x 2

DB x4

No way are we taking 2 DL in the most loaded class ever for DL in Texas.  4 minimum.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

No way are we taking 2 DL in the most loaded class ever for DL in Texas.  4 minimum.

You can do whatever the fuck you want with your predicted class. I am with you though because I don't think that we will have only 20 commits.

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is my Math off? I thought 21 class will be recruited for the season following Sam's graduation and the completion of Sterns, Foster, Coburn's Jr seasons no? Or do I need to join my daughters mathnasium classes??

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Is my Math off? I thought 21 class will be recruited for the season following Sam's graduation and the completion of Sterns, Foster, Coburn's Jr seasons no? Or do I need to join my daughters mathnasium classes??

No, you're fine, I got thread confused and thought you meant this year for the Championship man. It's my bad. 

• Like 1

The 2020 thread got sidetracked and was talking about Tommy Brockermeyer a bunch, figured I'd bring that discussion back here. 

Anyway, someone asked a good question over there that didn't get answered: how much of a foregone conclusion is it that he comes to Texas? Obviously it helps a whole lot that his brother is here and their dad went here, but it still seems to me like any competition for (what I'm assuming will be) a top 5 recruit nationwide has the potential to be more complicated than you might expect. 

7 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

The 2020 thread got sidetracked and was talking about Tommy Brockermeyer a bunch, figured I'd bring that discussion back here. 

Anyway, someone asked a good question over there that didn't get answered: how much of a foregone conclusion is it that he comes to Texas? Obviously it helps a whole lot that his brother is here and their dad went here, but it still seems to me like any competition for (what I'm assuming will be) a top 5 recruit nationwide has the potential to be more complicated than you might expect. 

i think Texas feels very good about it without taking it for granted. they are going to work hard to secure their commitments but would be shocked if they didnt commit to the good guys. 

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I don't know what the deal with Jatavion Sanders is but we've got a decent shot to sweep the (current) top 5

This still makes me feel some type of way

Also a year in and the hit rate on that class looks like it will be phenomenal. 

It's been said Sanders lives in a burnt orange house.  We are in a good spot.

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Wheaton, Sanders, Brockermeyers and Byrd are must gets in 21. All seem to be Texas leans and all should be 5 stars

Wheaton to Bama seems more likely to me though that could be my "Drayton will disappoint on the trail" part of my brain speaking.

James won't be a 5 star but I agree he is a must get. A dude that well suited for center with his mental ability will be hard to find. He'll probably be elite for us but these sites don't give too many centers 5 stars and those they do are way too heavily based on current high school size which isn't great for projecting how they'll be down the road. James is a must get independent of Tommy imo and vice versa. Together they are a duo we cannot afford to do without considering their ties to us.

Agreed on Sanders and Byrd.

20 hours ago, trythisathome said:

We have plenty of reasons to feel good about the Brockermeyers but cannot afford to take anything for granted until the faxes come through. Nobody gives up on elite tackle prospects.

• Like 1

Looks like Fatheree is trending aggy, ( not sure, but think they offered him for basketball?? ).  No surprised here and it's been stated he may outgrow football, plus Brockermeyer and Byrd are > than Fatheree.

Foster may have been told he can do track which may move this one in aggy's favor ( hope not, looks like a bully of a Guard ).  Also, still waiting on @JerryHubbard for this.

Conner seems like a hard read.  I think he likes Texas more than aggy, but this one will have the Katy Taylor factor.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like Fatheree is trending aggy, ( not sure, but think they offered him for basketball?? ).  No surprised here and it's been stated he may outgrow football, plus Brockermeyer and Byrd are > than Fatheree.

Foster may have been told he can do track which may move this one in aggy's favor ( hope not, looks like a bully of a Guard ).  Also, still waiting on @JerryHubbard for this.

Conner seems like a hard read.  I think he likes Texas more than aggy, but this one will have the Katy Taylor factor.

Conner (and Donovan Jackson) also apparently comes from a Big 10 family if I remember right. Look for tOSU/Michigan/Wisco to be bigger than usual factors.

Edited by texifornia

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/06/open-post-weekend-june-21st-23rd/

Weekend Visitors List
– CJ Vogel

It’s a big weekend in Austin and there will be more than enough talent on the 40 Acres.

We will add recruits as we hear of them coming in!

2021 Recruits

OLB Clayton Smith – Texas HS (Texarkana, TX)
DE Tunmise Adeleye – Katy Thompkins (Katy, TX)
QB Jalen Milroe – Katy Thompkins (Katy, TX)
LB/ATH Reid Carrico – (Ironton, OH)
TE Lake McRee – Lake Travis HS (Austin, TX)

Thirsty Thursday | Proactive Horns & More
– Darius Terrell

Texas being proactive in 2021 & 2022

While Texas continues to work their way West, the efforts to improve the success rate among the elite in-state has also ramped up significantly. In case you’ve missed it, things have changed in a big way in the way that the Longhorns are approaching making early offers to younger prospects. Texas has hosted several camps over the past few weeks and they have resulted in multiple new 2021 offers going out, as well as two new 2022 offers.

The current date is June 20, 2019.

The class of 2021 won’t be able to sign a letter of intent for another 18 months, yet Texas has already extended 36 in-state offers to players in the class.

The class of 2022 won’t sign for another 30 or so months, yet Texas has already extended offers to the following 6 in-state Freshmen:

Lewisville WR Armani Winfield

Beamount (Westbrook) S Bryce Anderson

Humble (Atascocita) OL Kameron Dewberry

Dallas (Skyline) DT Keithian “Bear” Alexander

Fort Worth (Nolan Catholic) RB Emeka Megwa

Denison RB Jadarian Price

There was a time not too long ago (as recently as last year) that Texas would hold off on extending offers to Sophomores in high school and Freshmen weren’t seriously considered at all. I couldn’t help but notice over the past few months that when I would talk to some of the top prospects in the 2021 class, many of them would reveal to me that they were no stranger to the city of Austin and the UT campus.

Many of what become the state’s top prospects years later attend UT camps early in their careers. Texas gets to look at A LOT of these guys before other places do, yet Texas has been beat out for many of the state’s top prospects recently. Why?

Well, for starters, Texas has always subscribed to this weird idea that having the “fewest offers” out of any program is a good thing. That may have been fine and dandy in 2010, when Mack Brown was still Mr. February and Texas was still a perennial title contender. In 2019, it isn’t. This is the Social Media era. Kids want to be shown that they are recognized and being made a priority. They want to let other people know about it as well, which is something that can’t be underestimated.

Let’s talk hypotheticals for a second.

Texas sees a kid at one of their host camps on campus while he’s a Freshman and Sophomore. It is clear that he is a standout athlete and will be a player that will be coveted not just by them, but everyone else as well in the not-too-distant future, there is no reason to hold off on offering that kid. With all of the new competition that Texas A&M has brought into the state by making what they thought was a power move to the SEC, Texas can no longer afford to play by this strategy of their offer being more sacred than anyone else’s.

We saw this play out very recently with 2021 Austin LBJ Cornerback Latrell McCutchin. McCutchin is just a Sophomore, but he grew up in the shadow of DKR-Memorial Stadium and surely attended plenty of UT football camps as a youth. He was on TV for crying out loud as a little league sensation and was recently rated as one of the nation’s top Cornerback prospects.

A few weeks ago, McCutchin announced his commitment to the University of Alabama shortly after receiving an offer from Texas. One of his main reasons for the early commitment? Alabama offered him first. As trivial as that may sound to some, think about it for a second.

You have grown up watching and attending Texas Football games on Saturdays, and you now star on Friday nights right around the corner. You know the staff and they know you well, but for some reason, schools from hundreds of miles away are already offering you and telling you how much they want you. Big-time schools.

But Texas? The same Texas that hasn’t won a Big XII title since 2009? The same Texas that has a 33-31 record since you’ve been old enough to really pay attention to what’s going on? Nah, Texas is telling you to be patient while they continue to “evaluate” you.

I’ll ask the question again. WHY?

There was a very similar type of situation with another top in-state recruit in the 2019 class. Luckily for Texas, they still have time to attempt to make up ground and change McCutchin’s mind, although that didn’t end up happening in the other situation that I’m referring to.

The best news for Texas fans is that the Longhorns appear to have gotten the message and are intent on making sure that this is something that ceases to happen in the future.

2021 Kansas move-in picks up Texas offer

image1-4-178x300.png

As if the defending 6A State Champion North Shore Mustangs needed any more help repeating with all of the talent that they have returning, the rich continued to get richer when standout 2021 Offensive Lineman Jaeden Roberts made the move down this Spring with his family from Lenexa, KS, to Houston, TX.

Roberts has seen his offer list explode since arriving in the Lone Star State, picking up offers from the likes of Alabama, Georgia, USC, Florida, LSU, and Texas A&M all in the past month. The 6’5 325 road grader made his way to Austin for a Texas camp and added to Longhorns to his latest pile of offers shortly afterward.

“I went to the camp that they were hosting today and got to show the coaches what I had to offer. That’s when they threw the offer.”

The camp was the first time that Roberts has been on campus and it was also the first time that he got to interact with the Texas staff.

“The camp was my first time getting to meet the staff and Head Coach. I’ve always seen UT as a very good school and now that I’ve moved and picked up and offer from them, it’s a very good opportunity for my future.”

So far for Roberts, the move to Texas from Kansas has been everything that he expected and more.

“We moved so that my parents could find better jobs and to help my brother and I get the best opportunity possible to further our futures in football.”

Roberts plans to take visits this summer to LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Texas A&M. He’s already visited College Station a few weeks ago for a camo and will be making a return trip.

My Take: Texas felt like he was good enough to offer in a historic year for Offensive Linemen in the state so that should tell you a little bit about the big man. It’s very early for Roberts, who has seen his stock explode over the past month or so. His family made the move to Texas knowing that he would face better competition, get better training, and greatly increase his exposure. Mission accomplished. Going strictly off of my brief conversation with him, I do feel like he is very attracted to the thought of playing in the SEC and that Texas may not have known much about him prior to him showing up at camp. We will see how things progress over the next few months between he and Texas.

2021 Rankings Comparison

Charlie mentioned it in a piece earlier this week, but Rivals.com released their initial rankings for the class of 2021, including their Texas Top 50. I thought that it would be interesting to see how their list compares to my own that I released a few months ago. (Which you can find here.)

Here’s how the crew at Rivals ranks the top 25 players in Texas. My ranking is in parentheses.

Camar Wheaton (6)
Savion Byrd (4)
Tommy Brockermeyer (1)
Preston Stone (3)
Jatavion Sanders (2)
Donovan Jackson (NR)
Landon Jackson (5)
Tunmise Adeyele (11)
Latrell McCutchin (21)
Quaydarius Davis (20)
Shadrach Banks (9)
Marcus Burris (NR)
Billy Bowman, Jr. (22)
Bryce Foster (15)
Latrell Neville (NR)
Jaeden Roberts (NR)
Jalen Milroe (NR)
Ishmael Ibraheem (NR)
Eli Stowers (NR)
Hayden Conner (19)
Cam’Ron Valdez (NR)
JD Coffey (14)
Kendrick Blackshire (NR)
LJ Johnson (NR)
Dematrius Davis (17)
Quick Thoughts

***First things first, it is extremely early and their list, like my own, is going to change another half-dozen times before a final ranking comes out. The state of Texas could have almost 50 4-star prospects this year.

***On that same note, I find the omission of guys like Aledo WR JoJo Earle, New Caney LB Derrick Harris, Richmond Foster WR Cody Jackson, and Texas High LB Clayton Smith to be egregious, though. They are no-brainer top 25 guys for myself.

***Rivals rates Donovan Jackson much higher than I personally do. He currently falls into the 30-40 range for myself.

***I regretted not including Marcus Burris in my initial Top 25 immediately after I published it. He will be there on the next update before the season.

***Latrell Neville is a guy that I have heard about but want to gather more information on. The same goes for new OL offer Jaeden Roberts, who didn’t play ball in Texas last year and Ishmael Ibraheem.

***I flat-out missed Jalen Milroe while doing my evals, but I would currently rate him behind Preston Stone and Dematrius Davis. Both he and Eli Stowers would fall in the 30-40 range.

***Kendrick Blackshire, LJ Johnson, and Cam’Ron Valdez are all guys that I’ve touched on and evaluated during Thirsty Thursdays and I find all three to be high-quality prospects that I would currently have in the high 30s- low 40s.

Updates | Tony Grimes
– Super K

***2021 CB, Tony Grimes (Virginia Beach, VA) tells me that he plans on being in TX and OK later this week to visit a few schools.

Grimes is a 4-star prospect who holds offers from just about everyone you can imagine – Clemson, Alabama, Texas, etc.

He’s visited TAMU on multiple occasions. But it looks like he’s now set to see other schools in the region.

The plan is for them to visit Texas on June 22nd and 23rd

Derrick Harris Jr. | Notes on Offer & Interest
– CJ Vogel

I mentioned Saturday night I would expand on New Caney High School linebacker Derrick Harris Jr.

During the camp Saturday afternoon, I was able to speak with Harris’ father, Derrick Harris Sr.

** My main takeaway is Texas fans should be very happy with the staff’s decision to extend an offer this weekend. Harris has been traveling across the state during the camp circuit and has picked up interest from all over. Texas throwing their hat in the ring will at this point will go a long way in the recruitment and puts them in a position to lead, rather than having to fight from behind as we’ve seen when offers are delayed.

Harris and his father have been to Texas three times in the past year, and according to Derrick Harris Sr., each time the family has enjoyed their stay.

Derrick Sr. added when the two came to Austin in the winter for a visit, the staff treated them to a Texas Basketball game at the Erwin Center which made a big impression on the two.

Back home, the ties to Texas run deep. The Harris family is real close with former Texas Softball player Nadia Taylor who received two All-Big 12 honors during her tenure on the 40 Acres. Taylor has been very vocal on Twitter in support of Derrick during his weekend in Austin.

Harris performed well in the minimal camp time I was able to see. The Texas camp was a great way to close out the camp circuit which consisted of Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State according to his father.

Taylor is a real intriguing prospect for several reasons. One, being that whether he’s in a three-point stance or standing up, his presence off the edge is going to be felt regardless. And two, he’s not done growing.

Harris Jr. played his sophomore season at New Caney at roughly 185-190 pounds. According to his father, he weighed in at the Texas camp at 217 pounds. He’s currently at 6’3″, but there’s still room to grow, which makes the idea of him putting his hand in the dirt on every down not so crazy after all.

The next step for Harris will be summer conditioning. On top of that, Harris is an avid swimmer which plays perfectly for someone looking to maximize endurance and being able to stay on the field for every down.

** I like where Texas stands early on and not waiting on extending an offer only helps their chances down the road. Harris will certainly be a name to remember for the 2021 class.

*** Harris’ explosiveness off the ball was tremendous in his sophomore film. Add 25-30 pounds, and stopping that off the edge will be very difficult for any OT during the remainder of his high school career.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/06/open-post-weekend-june-21st-23rd/

Reveal hidden contents

Weekend Visitors List
– CJ Vogel

It’s a big weekend in Austin and there will be more than enough talent on the 40 Acres.

2021 Recruits

– Darius Terrell

While Texas continues to work their way West, the efforts to improve the success rate among the elite in-state has also ramped up significantly. In case you’ve missed it, things have changed in a big way in the way that the Longhorns are approaching making early offers to younger prospects. Texas has hosted several camps over the past few weeks and they have resulted in multiple new 2021 offers going out, as well as two new 2022 offers.

The class of 2021 won’t be able to sign a letter of intent for another 18 months, yet Texas has already extended 36 in-state offers to players in the class.

The class of 2022 won’t sign for another 30 or so months, yet Texas has already extended offers to the following 6 in-state Freshmen:

There was a time not too long ago (as recently as last year) that Texas would hold off on extending offers to Sophomores in high school and Freshmen weren’t seriously considered at all. I couldn’t help but notice over the past few months that when I would talk to some of the top prospects in the 2021 class, many of them would reveal to me that they were no stranger to the city of Austin and the UT campus.

Many of what become the state’s top prospects years later attend UT camps early in their careers. Texas gets to look at A LOT of these guys before other places do, yet Texas has been beat out for many of the state’s top prospects recently. Why?

Well, for starters, Texas has always subscribed to this weird idea that having the “fewest offers” out of any program is a good thing. That may have been fine and dandy in 2010, when Mack Brown was still Mr. February and Texas was still a perennial title contender. In 2019, it isn’t. This is the Social Media era. Kids want to be shown that they are recognized and being made a priority. They want to let other people know about it as well, which is something that can’t be underestimated.

Texas sees a kid at one of their host camps on campus while he’s a Freshman and Sophomore. It is clear that he is a standout athlete and will be a player that will be coveted not just by them, but everyone else as well in the not-too-distant future, there is no reason to hold off on offering that kid. With all of the new competition that Texas A&M has brought into the state by making what they thought was a power move to the SEC, Texas can no longer afford to play by this strategy of their offer being more sacred than anyone else’s.

We saw this play out very recently with 2021 Austin LBJ Cornerback Latrell McCutchin. McCutchin is just a Sophomore, but he grew up in the shadow of DKR-Memorial Stadium and surely attended plenty of UT football camps as a youth. He was on TV for crying out loud as a little league sensation and was recently rated as one of the nation’s top Cornerback prospects.

A few weeks ago, McCutchin announced his commitment to the University of Alabama shortly after receiving an offer from Texas. One of his main reasons for the early commitment? Alabama offered him first. As trivial as that may sound to some, think about it for a second.

You have grown up watching and attending Texas Football games on Saturdays, and you now star on Friday nights right around the corner. You know the staff and they know you well, but for some reason, schools from hundreds of miles away are already offering you and telling you how much they want you. Big-time schools.

But Texas? The same Texas that hasn’t won a Big XII title since 2009? The same Texas that has a 33-31 record since you’ve been old enough to really pay attention to what’s going on? Nah, Texas is telling you to be patient while they continue to “evaluate” you.

There was a very similar type of situation with another top in-state recruit in the 2019 class. Luckily for Texas, they still have time to attempt to make up ground and change McCutchin’s mind, although that didn’t end up happening in the other situation that I’m referring to.

The best news for Texas fans is that the Longhorns appear to have gotten the message and are intent on making sure that this is something that ceases to happen in the future.

image1-4-178x300.png

As if the defending 6A State Champion North Shore Mustangs needed any more help repeating with all of the talent that they have returning, the rich continued to get richer when standout 2021 Offensive Lineman Jaeden Roberts made the move down this Spring with his family from Lenexa, KS, to Houston, TX.

Roberts has seen his offer list explode since arriving in the Lone Star State, picking up offers from the likes of Alabama, Georgia, USC, Florida, LSU, and Texas A&M all in the past month. The 6’5 325 road grader made his way to Austin for a Texas camp and added to Longhorns to his latest pile of offers shortly afterward.

“I went to the camp that they were hosting today and got to show the coaches what I had to offer. That’s when they threw the offer.”

The camp was the first time that Roberts has been on campus and it was also the first time that he got to interact with the Texas staff.

“The camp was my first time getting to meet the staff and Head Coach. I’ve always seen UT as a very good school and now that I’ve moved and picked up and offer from them, it’s a very good opportunity for my future.”

So far for Roberts, the move to Texas from Kansas has been everything that he expected and more.

“We moved so that my parents could find better jobs and to help my brother and I get the best opportunity possible to further our futures in football.”

Roberts plans to take visits this summer to LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Texas A&M. He’s already visited College Station a few weeks ago for a camo and will be making a return trip.

My Take: Texas felt like he was good enough to offer in a historic year for Offensive Linemen in the state so that should tell you a little bit about the big man. It’s very early for Roberts, who has seen his stock explode over the past month or so. His family made the move to Texas knowing that he would face better competition, get better training, and greatly increase his exposure. Mission accomplished. Going strictly off of my brief conversation with him, I do feel like he is very attracted to the thought of playing in the SEC and that Texas may not have known much about him prior to him showing up at camp. We will see how things progress over the next few months between he and Texas.

2021 Rankings Comparison

Charlie mentioned it in a piece earlier this week, but Rivals.com released their initial rankings for the class of 2021, including their Texas Top 50. I thought that it would be interesting to see how their list compares to my own that I released a few months ago. (Which you can find here.)

Here’s how the crew at Rivals ranks the top 25 players in Texas. My ranking is in parentheses.

Camar Wheaton (6)
Savion Byrd (4)
Tommy Brockermeyer (1)
Preston Stone (3)
Jatavion Sanders (2)
Donovan Jackson (NR)
Landon Jackson (5)
Tunmise Adeyele (11)
Latrell McCutchin (21)
Quaydarius Davis (20)
Shadrach Banks (9)
Marcus Burris (NR)
Billy Bowman, Jr. (22)
Bryce Foster (15)
Latrell Neville (NR)
Jaeden Roberts (NR)
Jalen Milroe (NR)
Ishmael Ibraheem (NR)
Eli Stowers (NR)
Hayden Conner (19)
Cam’Ron Valdez (NR)
JD Coffey (14)
Kendrick Blackshire (NR)
LJ Johnson (NR)
Dematrius Davis (17)
Quick Thoughts

***First things first, it is extremely early and their list, like my own, is going to change another half-dozen times before a final ranking comes out. The state of Texas could have almost 50 4-star prospects this year.

***On that same note, I find the omission of guys like Aledo WR JoJo Earle, New Caney LB Derrick Harris, Richmond Foster WR Cody Jackson, and Texas High LB Clayton Smith to be egregious, though. They are no-brainer top 25 guys for myself.

***Rivals rates Donovan Jackson much higher than I personally do. He currently falls into the 30-40 range for myself.

***I regretted not including Marcus Burris in my initial Top 25 immediately after I published it. He will be there on the next update before the season.

***Latrell Neville is a guy that I have heard about but want to gather more information on. The same goes for new OL offer Jaeden Roberts, who didn’t play ball in Texas last year and Ishmael Ibraheem.

***I flat-out missed Jalen Milroe while doing my evals, but I would currently rate him behind Preston Stone and Dematrius Davis. Both he and Eli Stowers would fall in the 30-40 range.

***Kendrick Blackshire, LJ Johnson, and Cam’Ron Valdez are all guys that I’ve touched on and evaluated during Thirsty Thursdays and I find all three to be high-quality prospects that I would currently have in the high 30s- low 40s.

Updates | Tony Grimes
– Super K

***2021 CB, Tony Grimes (Virginia Beach, VA) tells me that he plans on being in TX and OK later this week to visit a few schools.

Grimes is a 4-star prospect who holds offers from just about everyone you can imagine – Clemson, Alabama, Texas, etc.

He’s visited TAMU on multiple occasions. But it looks like he’s now set to see other schools in the region.

– CJ Vogel

I mentioned Saturday night I would expand on New Caney High School linebacker Derrick Harris Jr.

During the camp Saturday afternoon, I was able to speak with Harris’ father, Derrick Harris Sr.

** My main takeaway is Texas fans should be very happy with the staff’s decision to extend an offer this weekend. Harris has been traveling across the state during the camp circuit and has picked up interest from all over. Texas throwing their hat in the ring will at this point will go a long way in the recruitment and puts them in a position to lead, rather than having to fight from behind as we’ve seen when offers are delayed.

Harris and his father have been to Texas three times in the past year, and according to Derrick Harris Sr., each time the family has enjoyed their stay.

Derrick Sr. added when the two came to Austin in the winter for a visit, the staff treated them to a Texas Basketball game at the Erwin Center which made a big impression on the two.

Back home, the ties to Texas run deep. The Harris family is real close with former Texas Softball player Nadia Taylor who received two All-Big 12 honors during her tenure on the 40 Acres. Taylor has been very vocal on Twitter in support of Derrick during his weekend in Austin.

Harris performed well in the minimal camp time I was able to see. The Texas camp was a great way to close out the camp circuit which consisted of Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State according to his father.

Taylor is a real intriguing prospect for several reasons. One, being that whether he’s in a three-point stance or standing up, his presence off the edge is going to be felt regardless. And two, he’s not done growing.

Harris Jr. played his sophomore season at New Caney at roughly 185-190 pounds. According to his father, he weighed in at the Texas camp at 217 pounds. He’s currently at 6’3″, but there’s still room to grow, which makes the idea of him putting his hand in the dirt on every down not so crazy after all.

The next step for Harris will be summer conditioning. On top of that, Harris is an avid swimmer which plays perfectly for someone looking to maximize endurance and being able to stay on the field for every down.

** I like where Texas stands early on and not waiting on extending an offer only helps their chances down the road. Harris will certainly be a name to remember for the 2021 class.

*** Harris’ explosiveness off the ball was tremendous in his sophomore film. Add 25-30 pounds, and stopping that off the edge will be very difficult for any OT during the remainder of his high school career.

The McCutchin shit is absurd. We offered a whole two weeks after Bama did. Kid grew up cheering for them, was looking for a reason to commit, and is a bit of a diva. It happens.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Weekend Visitors List
– CJ Vogel

2021 Recruits

– Darius Terrell

image1-4-178x300.png

2021 Rankings Comparison

Camar Wheaton (6)
Savion Byrd (4)
Tommy Brockermeyer (1)
Preston Stone (3)
Jatavion Sanders (2)
Donovan Jackson (NR)
Landon Jackson (5)
Tunmise Adeyele (11)
Latrell McCutchin (21)
Quaydarius Davis (20)
Shadrach Banks (9)
Marcus Burris (NR)
Billy Bowman, Jr. (22)
Bryce Foster (15)
Latrell Neville (NR)
Jaeden Roberts (NR)
Jalen Milroe (NR)
Ishmael Ibraheem (NR)
Eli Stowers (NR)
Hayden Conner (19)
Cam’Ron Valdez (NR)
JD Coffey (14)
Kendrick Blackshire (NR)
LJ Johnson (NR)
Dematrius Davis (17)
Quick Thoughts

Updates | Tony Grimes
– Super K

– CJ Vogel

I’m with Terrell on Donovan Jackson. I don’t get his ranking by the services at all. I don’t think be’ll Be able to stick at a tackle, either. He’s a good prospect and should be a 4 star, but he’s nowhere near a top 50 guy nationally. 

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The McCutchin shit is absurd. We offered a whole two weeks after Bama did. Kid grew up cheering for them, was looking for a reason to commit, and is a bit of a diva. It happens.

Yep. He was never going to come here. People need to be smart enough to not give dumb quotes like that any credence.

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He may be a diva, but I bet Herman starts offering kids like that a bit earlier. When it’s a local no brainer offer, it just doesn’t hurt to move the timeline up a month or two, you might as well do it.

And this is more about the dad than the kid imo. These kids take cues from the adults in their lives and the dad took offense, he had a quote out there somewhere. If the dad was telling his kid to not let hurt feelings affect an opportunity, kid would have been fine.

23 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

He may be a diva, but I bet Herman starts offering kids like that a bit earlier. When it’s a local no brainer offer, it just doesn’t hurt to move the timeline up a month or two, you might as well do it.

And this is more about the dad than the kid imo. These kids take cues from the adults in their lives and the dad took offense, he had a quote out there somewhere. If the dad was telling his kid to not let hurt feelings affect an opportunity, kid would have been fine.

If a couple weeks is too long to wait, the kid sure won’t sit on the bench for a season or two before transferring.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

So you're suggestion in this specific situation was that Herman should have offered sooner, been first to offer, and THEN have the kid spurn us for 'Bama with zero excuse anyway? Yeah, that seems like a huge upgrade in perception for us. 

• Like 1

I don’t know the motivations of this kid or how much the staff really coveted him, so I’m more talking about future situations, but my point is there’s no harm in slightly moving up your timeline for obvious local offers, because as dumb as it sounds some kids and parents get their feelings hurt over stupid shit like that, and I don’t really buy into the whole we want zero divas thing. A lot of talented people are divas and not all of them flameout, some of them are worth the hassle. My guess is this kid wasn’t one of those, but for a kid that is, yeah, go ahead and slightly change your timeline if you have to, theres little downside to it, other than maybe the swallowing of some of your own ego. (The staffs, not yours.)

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So you're suggestion in this specific situation was that Herman should have offered sooner, been first to offer, and THEN have the kid spurn us for 'Bama with zero excuse anyway? Yeah, that seems like a huge upgrade in perception for us. 

My previous post was in response to you, my phone fucked up.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. He was never going to come here. People need to be smart enough to not give dumb quotes like that any credence.

Or mention the timeline and ask him to elaborate, see if he has anything substantive or gives in and admits to just liking Alabama more because they put more guys in the league/won’t lose more than 5 games total while he’s there/get away from home/whatever. 

IT visitors list with a couple notes:

QB Jalen Milroe, Tompkins (Katy, TX): The 6-foot-3, 190-pound signal-caller received that highly coveted Texas offer last week. He might be joined by his teammate, Tunmise Adeleye.

TE Lake McCree, Lake Travis (Austin, TX): The local prospect has made a few rounds on the road - Notre Dame and USC - and he’s got Texas A&M pushing as of late, but this feels like orange house. UT by a mile.

DE Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins (Katy, TX) - MAYBE: The four-star defender is one of the best prospects in 2021, and his offer list proves it - Alabama, LSU, OU, Ohio State. He’s a priority in this class and UT’s recent pursuit of teammate Jalen Milroe only strengthens the Texas cause. He's currently visiting Ohio State.

LB Clayton Smith, Texas High (Texarkana, TX): Smith has made no secret about his affection for the Horns. After grabbing more offers - LSU, OU, A&M - Smith returns to Austin for a third time in 2019. Steady for the 6-foot-4, 205-pound linebacker from ETX.

CB Tony Grimes, Princess Anne (Virginia Beach, VA): Five-star talent from the east coast making a trip to the ATX, just like he said he would when he was offered in April.

ATH Reid Carrico, Ironton (Ironton, OH): Old school both-ways player. The four-star could be a linebacker or y-back.