Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

45 minutes ago, Fud said:

Milroe is a rich man's Hornsby 

I'd call him a poor man's JaQuinden Jackson

2 hours ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

I can refine Milroe's mechanics, but I can't teach Stone the quickness and overall speed of Milroe.  Stone is competing against bad competition;  half of the scramble plays on his tape would be sacks against better players.  He's not anymore athletic than Sam, which means he's going to take shots running the ball just like Sam does.  The problem is, he's not built like Sam.  Milroe's a bit lighter than Stone right now, but guys that are that athletic and quick twitch like Milroe rarely get hit square.  Milroe's right out of the Greg Ward/D'Eriq King mold and would be a perfect fit for this offense.  

I disagree with the idea that a guy will take as much punishment as Sam if he's a similar athlete. Sam seeks out contact more than most running backs. There have been tons of successful dual threat QBs that aren't built like Sam. 

56 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'd call him a poor man's JaQuinden Jackson

I disagree with the idea that a guy will take as much punishment as Sam if he's a similar athlete. Sam seeks out contact more than most running backs. There have been tons of successful dual threat QBs that aren't built like Sam. 

It’s not about punishment so much as Stone doesn’t have the speed to be the outside threat on a zone read, like smaller/quicker guys who have had success under Herman, like Greg Ward, but he also won’t have the size to be the inside option on the ZR, like Ehlinger/Barrett.

Herman’s offense really needs the QB to be a running threat to work at full capacity, and I’m not sure Stone can do that so he’d need to be other worldly in the passing game, arm strength, accuracy, multiple reads each play, pocket presence. That’s a lot to ask for, especially from a QB who doesn’t have to exhibit much of that at the level he’s currently playing at HS. 

Milroe’s running ability means he doesn’t have to progress nearly as much in those areas to be similarly effective.

10 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I'm cool with either Milroe or Stone. Especially since both should have should be at least 5-6 seasons from starting at Texas, because we better be done with freshman QBs for a long damn time.

That's the issue, though. Stone has already moved around to find playing time in high school. Odds of his doing that in college if he doesn't play his first two seasons are over 90%.

• Like 2

And I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman lawyer, but watching Milroe's tape he appears to be what would happen if you took Greg Ward and then gave him that Captain America super serum. He's taller, faster, and much better passer at this point than Greg Ward. And from what I remember Herman did OK with that Greg Ward guy playing QB. 

• Like 1

IT on 2021 QB recruiting

2021 Quarterback: If you've been paying attention to the Prospect Board you'll know that Jalen Milroe is a burgeoning topic. The Katy Tompkins signal caller is a high upside athlete with a strong arm and lofty rating. Person A wants Preston Stone sight unseen. I'm Person B with nunchucks and love Preston Stone but it's easy to make the case for Milroe. In fact I'll do so.

Jalen Milroe has a Sam Ehlinger work ethic and intangibles, other than being outspoken. He's more like Roschon when it comes to being outward, however he'll take on more leadership in the class if he does choose UT. He has some blind spots as a QB. He's young of course and doesn't have the greatest touch but his arm and legs give him a high floor and much higher upside. And intangibles. He's through the roof in that regard. Texas also views him as having big recruiting upside within the class. That circles back to leadership. My most trusted QB guru compares Milroe's intangibles to Garrett Nussmeier. Not bad.

It's easy to make the case for Stone being the better prospect, but it's even easier to make the case that Milroe is the better program fit while still having Stone's upside.

Oh, and if UT lands Milroe it doesn't rule Preston Stone out but we'll worry about that in January.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Anybody who would rather have Stone than Milroe in the Herman offense hasn’t been paying attention. Give me Milroe please, thanks. 

Anybody who believes that Stone would sign on as the second QB in a class really hasn’t been paying attention. Give me Milroe please, thanks. 

2021 is starting off really fucking well. 

Adding Milroe would mean we have some good momentum in both Houston and Dallas (assuming JQJ and the other Duncanville guys keep up what Samples started) for the 2021 class.

Wonder how Milroe would affect Adeleye? He’s said he wants to play with Milroe, but he seems pretty dead set on Bama right now. I’m guessing he’d stick with Bama, but getting Milroe probably helps our chances at least a bit.

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Anybody who would rather have Stone than Milroe in the Herman offense hasn’t been paying attention. Give me Milroe please, thanks. 

Anybody who believes that Stone would sign on as the second QB in a class really hasn’t been paying attention. Give me Milroe please, thanks. 

2021 is starting off really fucking well. 

If we get commits from Brockermeyer, Wheaton, and Milroe before the season starts it would be a pretty damn amazing start. 

48 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

If we get commits from Brockermeyer, Wheaton, and Milroe before the season starts it would be a pretty damn amazing start. 

Lulz. His favorite person on the staff just left, so now we’re relying on a guy who’s landed 1 RB in three years and has gone like 0 for 8 since Ingram, who was about as easy of a land as you can get. 

Maybe we don’t predict Wheaton in the class before the season starts. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Adding Milroe would mean we have some good momentum in both Houston and Dallas (assuming JQJ and the other Duncanville guys keep up what Samples started) for the 2021 class.

Wonder how Milroe would affect Adeleye? He’s said he wants to play with Milroe, but he seems pretty dead set on Bama right now. I’m guessing he’d stick with Bama, but getting Milroe probably helps our chances at least a bit.

Take this for what it’s worth, but honestly, the data I’ve been getting has been proving itself out pretty well, there is zero concern about Duncanville/Samples for Texas. Guys good enough to play at Texas will have a great shot at coming to Texas from Duncanvilles HS as long as the dad is there. The son is not taking up roots at SMU. If someone else snags him from SMU before next signing day, the 2021 recruits and beyond will begin to be something to watch. I don’t think it’s bullshit that he comes back to Texas if things align well. 

• Like 2

Just now, closetojumping said:

Take this for what it’s worth, but honestly, the data I’ve been getting has been proving itself out pretty well, there is zero concern about Duncanville/Samples for Texas. Guys good enough to play at Texas will have a great shot at coming to Texas from Duncanvilles HS as long as the dad is there. The son is not taking up roots at SMU. If someone else snags him from SMU before next signing day, the 2021 recruits and beyond will begin to be something to watch. I don’t think it’s bullshit that he comes back to Texas if things align well. 

Yeah, I don’t mean that he’d steal our recruits, just that we’ll probably have a harder time landing some of those Dallas guys now like Wheaton, keeping Davis, etc. I’m not as worried about Byrd or other Duncanville guys because we’ll have JQJ and CTJ to recruit him. Who knows though. JQJ, and to a lesser extent CTJ, are a big deals in Dallas, so we may not lose much without Samples in the interim.

i joked about it when the news came out, but letting Samples get on the road for a year and then bringing him back to UT would be pretty Mensa. I’m hoping for it to happen.

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

I don't think Wheaton commits until he sees we are utilizing our running game. If Herman uses Ingram/Whittington and they have success, I can see us landing him. 

We were also thought to be the supposed leaders for Evans, too, and we see where that's gotten us. 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't think Wheaton commits until he sees we are utilizing our running game. If Herman uses Ingram/Whittington and they have success, I can see us landing him. 

We were also thought to be the supposed leaders for Evans, too, and we see where that's gotten us. 

Yeah but Evans turned out to be a fucking headcase who went from listening to his brother to telling him to pound sand in regards to his recruitment. Wheaton might not be drama free, but so FAR he seems like a steady recruit. Time will tell. But not all elite blue chip players go insane. But yeah, as long as drayton is the man in charge let’s assume the worst. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah but Evans turned out to be a fucking headcase who went from listening to his brother to telling him to pound sand in regards to his recruitment. Wheaton might not be drama free, but so FAR he seems like a steady recruit. Time will tell. But not all elite blue chip players go insane. But yeah, as long as drayton is the man in charge let’s assume the worst. 

Yeah, that's true. Outside of Ingram, Drayton has shit the bed more than meemaw in her depends. Hopefully Wheaton sees an opportunity and isn't a dumbass who think we "barely" beat the mighty SEC team who got mushroomed by a regard leading LSU. 

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol headcase for being a dramatic teenager on Twitter, and not including us in his original top 5? Grow a pair. We’d all be fucking ecstatic if we ended up with him. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 5

6 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

Lol headcase for being a dramatic teenager on Twitter, and not including us in his original top 5? Grow a pair. We’d all be fucking ecstatic if we ended up with him. 

And dogging his practices at North Shore. And having to be dragged around to the in-state schools by his coaches because his quotes were so weirdly antagonistic that it was hurting his teammates' recruitments.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

Yeah. Did I say we wouldn’t? We’d be ecstatic with lots of players, but that doesn’t mean he’s looking like a culture fit. And its not leaving us out of his top 5, dude. He cut his brother out of his recruitment, he trolls schools in his interviews with quotes, he releases contradictory top 5s within weeks of each other, and he pissed off the North Shore coaches with his behavior to the point that they made him visit state schools and essentially apologize because his behavior was potentially hurting other recruits at his school. Its not growing a pair, it’s literally just observing his behavior. 

He can be coveted, and talented, and still be a PITA. They aren’t mutually exclusive. And by the same token, not every recruit or blue chip behaves the way he has behaved, dipshit.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

Some sort of comment making your comment seem dumb.

• Haha 1

Mike at Night

Spoiler
  • I mentioned earlier today that I heard four-star Katy Tompkins quarterback Jalen Milroe could be close to a decision. Alabama seemed to be in the lead for Milroe before they landed another 2021 quarterback earlier in the week. Milroe has been pretty clear about the fact that he wanted to decide early. I think Texas is definitely in the picture, but the digging I’ve done found that Milroe and his family have known Florida State head coach Willie Taggart for a while, and the Seminoles are a factor in the race. I’m still working on determining where everything stands, but Texas would absolutely take Milroe. I don’t think they are really pushing for a commitment at this time, and they’d definitely be ok with letting things play out. That said, Milroe is too talented to pass on.

• Stone is a plus passer. One of the more refined I've seen at the high school level, and while he's not an overwhelming athlete, he's got a magical ability about him to escape pressure and move. He's also got the same type of Sam Ehlinger attitude that borders on cocky and confident. Milroe is an excellent athlete who isn't far behind in the passing game. He probably has more natural arm talent, but he isn't as far along technically. I think he would be a great fit for an RPO system.

Recap of Roach's post and comments about Milroe:

Spoiler
  • wrote yesterday that Jalen Milroe was circling a decision and I was checking into possibilities for a crystal ball. I’ve talked to a number of sources, and based on what I’ve heard and the gut feeling I have on this recruitment I’m putting my pick in for Texas
  • They are only planning to take one QB. I think Stone and Milroe are both four stars. I compared and contrasted them somewhere in the thread during Mike at Night.
  • Stone is a very good QB. He’s not a unicorn. Ja’Quinden Jackson is a unicorn
  • I think Milroe is being judged on his merits and ceiling. He’s blown away competition at several big college camps, including Alabama.

• Like 1