Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Carl is full of shit and hasn’t been right about any of his “predictions”. (Brocks were silents to Bama...was known at the time)

The only thing that he's gone even remotely out on a limb for is Shemar Turner. The video has been done since May, so that's not a prediction of his own. If Turner does indeed pick Texas, I might start believing he's not entirely full of shit.

Edited by gordogg24p

On 7/24/2020 at 4:55 PM, golfclap said:

Think of him as Erick Cade but at WR, where position fit, scheme fit, and total numbers available drive his value down a bit. I think he's basically everyone's next man up. @randygilman is right that his QB is a detriment. He's got excellent size and hit a 47'6" triple-jump this year, so there's plenty of athleticism. 

I think he'd murder in the Arkansas/Briles offense, so I totally get that recruitment. I think he's a really good player. 

Just wanted to say I appreciate all of your posts on the recruiting boards. You provide great insight for those of us who check for information daily. That is all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Siap...

TFB   July 24th

Quick Hitter | 2021 OL Remington Strickland
– D.T.

As Texas fans that follow recruiting know by now, the Longhorns have missed on/trail on most of their top targets along the Offensive Line position in the 2021 class. Katy (Taylor HS) OL Hayden Conner remains the only Offensive Line commit and he announced his intentions to attend Texas nearly a year ago to this date. 

Our own Andrew King had an article published last week that mentioned a few names that could be on the Texas radar following the misses on the Brockermeyer twins. He mentioned Highland Park OT Jack Leyrer, Rockwall-Heath OT Hunter Smith, Argyle ATH Jasper Lott, and Georgetown OG and Baylor commit Connor Heffernan.

Another name that should be added to the list of guys to keep an eye on is Fort Bend Christian OL Remington Strickland. At 6’4, 290lbs, Strickland is a bit of a man amongst boys at the private school level that his team competes at. He stars at Right Tackle for his school but could play any of the five Offensive Line spots at the next level, which makes him quite a commodity.

“I currently have 28 offers and I speak most often with SMU, Arkansas, UCF, Houston, Boise State, and San Diego State the most right now.”

Where does Texas fit in?

“I’ve been in contact with Texas for a few weeks now. I’ve talked with Coach Hand on the phone a few times and also the OL Assistant (Coach Limon).”

Strickland isn’t in any hurry to commit, which bodes well for Texas, but what are some of the main factors that will go into his decision?

“I’m looking for a team that has a family environment, a winning culture, and a solid coaching staff to play for.”

My Take: Texas still has time here, as do they with a guy like Lakeview Centennial OC Ezra Oyetade, but you have to wonder how much longer other in-state prospects are going to be. We’ve seen Texas take their time in the past with guys and it backfire in the end. 

Strickland looks really good on his HUDL (he’s listed as a Center on 247, I personally like him at Guard) and Coach Sam Pittman at Arkansas and the staff at SMU are both making him a priority right now. If Texas decides to throw their hat in the ring soon, I believe that they would instantly enter the top grouping here and the sky is the limit from there.

Update | The Latest on Gunnar Helm
– Charlie S

Earlier today Super K posted the latest information he had in regards to 2021 TE Gunnar Helm:

‘It does sound like Helm is nearing a decision and it appears a number of folks believe he is headed to Texas.

I had been given the impression previously that Texas was not ready to take a commitment from Helm. I plan on rechecking but that was the latest word I had received. I’ll update once I receive new information or confirm the information in this post.’

As K stated at the end of the post, he would update once he received any new information…

I’m here to let you know K has relayed to me that he has received some new information and by the sounds of things you should be getting some good news here in the near future as K is now hearing Helm is in fact a take.

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2020/07/open-post-weekend-july-24th-26th/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Why the fuck would Helm travel to Austin on his own dime in a pandemic if he weren’t considered a Take 

This. If I understood Carl correctly, Helm was a silent commit before making it to Austin. Alternatively, Helm was a strong lean and then committed while in Austin.

Siap...
TFB   July 24th
Quick Hitter | 2021 OL Remington Strickland
– D.T.

As Texas fans that follow recruiting know by now, the Longhorns have missed on/trail on most of their top targets along the Offensive Line position in the 2021 class. Katy (Taylor HS) OL Hayden Conner remains the only Offensive Line commit and he announced his intentions to attend Texas nearly a year ago to this date. 
Our own Andrew King had an article published last week that mentioned a few names that could be on the Texas radar following the misses on the Brockermeyer twins. He mentioned Highland Park OT Jack Leyrer, Rockwall-Heath OT Hunter Smith, Argyle ATH Jasper Lott, and Georgetown OG and Baylor commit Connor Heffernan.
Another name that should be added to the list of guys to keep an eye on is Fort Bend Christian OL Remington Strickland. At 6’4, 290lbs, Strickland is a bit of a man amongst boys at the private school level that his team competes at. He stars at Right Tackle for his school but could play any of the five Offensive Line spots at the next level, which makes him quite a commodity.
“I currently have 28 offers and I speak most often with SMU, Arkansas, UCF, Houston, Boise State, and San Diego State the most right now.”
Where does Texas fit in?
“I’ve been in contact with Texas for a few weeks now. I’ve talked with Coach Hand on the phone a few times and also the OL Assistant (Coach Limon).”
Strickland isn’t in any hurry to commit, which bodes well for Texas, but what are some of the main factors that will go into his decision?
“I’m looking for a team that has a family environment, a winning culture, and a solid coaching staff to play for.”
My Take: Texas still has time here, as do they with a guy like Lakeview Centennial OC Ezra Oyetade, but you have to wonder how much longer other in-state prospects are going to be. We’ve seen Texas take their time in the past with guys and it backfire in the end. 
Strickland looks really good on his HUDL (he’s listed as a Center on 247, I personally like him at Guard) and Coach Sam Pittman at Arkansas and the staff at SMU are both making him a priority right now. If Texas decides to throw their hat in the ring soon, I believe that they would instantly enter the top grouping here and the sky is the limit from there.
Update | The Latest on Gunnar Helm
– Charlie S

Earlier today Super K posted the latest information he had in regards to 2021 TE Gunnar Helm:
‘It does sound like Helm is nearing a decision and it appears a number of folks believe he is headed to Texas.
I had been given the impression previously that Texas was not ready to take a commitment from Helm. I plan on rechecking but that was the latest word I had received. I’ll update once I receive new information or confirm the information in this post.’
As K stated at the end of the post, he would update once he received any new information…
I’m here to let you know K has relayed to me that he has received some new information and by the sounds of things you should be getting some good news here in the near future as K is now hearing Helm is in fact a take.
https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2020/07/open-post-weekend-july-24th-26th/

“We we’re talking out of our collective asses previously, but have been corrected by general sentiment”

40 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Myslinski is getting a run of Texas picks on Rivals.  2* baby!

Would be the worst take of the Herman Era.

Comparing him to the lowest ranked OL in each of the other classes really hammers it home. It’s a vast chasm between the physical talent/upside of these guys and Myslinski. 

2017 - Sam Cosmi

2018 - Christian Jones

2019 - Willie Tyler

2020 - Andrej Karic