Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Bodacious got it.

You get 25 counters per year.  Giving a walk on that has been on the team for 2 seasons doesn’t count towards that number (it still counts towards the 85 but this helps encourage coaches to give the available scholarships to walk ons without handicapping their current year recruiting).  The 2 seasons rule is so that schools can’t go over the 25 counter cap and claim someone is a walk on and then give them a scholarship (like we are in this situation).

Just to be clear I’m not against them giving out the scholarship, I was simply pointing out that it counts towards our counters.

So which Recruiting Class will Luke Brockermeyer be included in the 25 count??

17 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Bodacious got it.

You get 25 counters per year.  Giving a walk on that has been on the team for 2 seasons doesn’t count towards that number (it still counts towards the 85 but this helps encourage coaches to give the available scholarships to walk ons without handicapping their current year recruiting).  The 2 seasons rule is so that schools can’t go over the 25 counter cap and claim someone is a walk on and then give them a scholarship (like we are in this situation).

Just to be clear I’m not against them giving out the scholarship, I was simply pointing out that it counts towards our counters.

Thanks for the clarification.  

IT

When Luke Brockermeyer was put on scholarship my optimism on Texas landing his twin brothers jumped. Like everyone else I've always guessed they'll end up at Texas but being pretty close to that situation I know how fond the family is of Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia. Clemson only offering Tommy put a nail in that one, imo. "That's a good development for Texas," I was told. I think we'll see the Brockermeyers take some spring officials but I'm not sure they'll use as many as they can just because a lot of schools aren't real contenders. I think Herman handled Luke's scholarship perfectly. Luke was told when they recruited him that if he put in the work he'd have a real chance at earning a scholarship. But Herman didn't just hand it out because of his brothers. To Luke's credit he's seen a jump in his play in practice this year, going back to the Spring. To Herman's credit he awarded a scholarship to Cort Jaquess first. Cort is on special teams and is a practice All Star. It's a meritocracy.

Justin Wells recruiting notes

CLAYTON SMITH

The Texas High OLB is filling out. At 6-foot-4, 215-220, Smith is beginning to transform into that animal he's always had inside. And Texas continues to be at the top of his list.

But on this night, Smith was less than effective, as John Tyler began to run away from his side. He totaled four tackles, three QB pressures, and 1/2 sack, but it was his blocked field goal that was most impressive. His athleticism is special. We've seen it in camps and on the basketball floor. After the 16-0 loss to JT, Smith was humbled, and still gracious enough to catch up with me.

“We have a 24-hour rule," said Smith. "After wins or losses, we'll regroup. We'll refocus. And we'll go back to work tomorrow." I asked Smith about the schools that stand out right now.

On Arkansas...."Great atmosphere. Everybody in Texarkana loves the Razorbacks, so If I chose Arkansas, I know I'd have the support of my city. I really like coach Morris and coach Traylor."

On LSU...."Dogs. That team has some dogs. Loved watching them play at Texas two weeks ago. I need to go back to Baton Rouge for a visit. I might take my official visit at LSU next year when UT visits. That would be really cool."

On Texas...."They're the best. Big family, coaches and players are great. I love coach Warehime and coach Orlando. I talk to coach Herman too. I think I'd be a great fit at Texas. They have recruited me the most and I'll definitely be back for more games. I've been to Austin more than any other school."

I like where UT stands right now. They were early and often to this recruitment. Texas has a spot for him, but with Derrick Harris Jr and Ja’Tavian Sanders already in the class, his versatility might the deciding factor. For now, he's just preparing for the next opponent, McKinney North. And getting back into the win column.

ONE TO WATCH: Matthew Wykoff, 2021 Magnolia OL (6-foot-5, 277). The junior offensive lineman is just another of the immense talent along the lines in Texas for 2021. He holds 14 offers including USC, Cal, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, and Missouri. Texas OL coach Herb Hand stopped by to see him last week and the staff is monitoring is progress. Take a look.

KATY — Jalen Milroe is a winner. The junior quarterback from Katy Tompkins led the Falcons to their first playoff appearance in school history as a sophomore. Tompkins is 5-0 with a big showdown against Katy looming on Thursday, and the Texas commit is the biggest reason. Milroe went 6 of 10 for 187 yards and four touchdowns in the recent win over Katy Seven Lakes. 

“I’ve improved my leadership by coaching up the young guys,” Milroe said after the win. “Leadership skills are important as an upperclassman quarterback. It comes from preparation and practices throughout the week. We knew it was a great defense we were going against. We just executed.” 

The 6-1, 194-pound four-star is the third-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the 2021 class. He’s the second-highest commit in Texas’ 2021 class, which has eight pledges and ranks second in the country. Milroe was the District 19-6A newcomer of the year as a sophomore after totaling 2,000 yards and 20 touchdowns of total offense. 

“Jalen is elite, off and on the field. He doesn’t need as much talent around him to win,” said Tompkins teammate Tunmise Adeleye, another four-star prospect in the 2021 class. “Everyone in this city knew he’d be a special player. I’ve played with him since sixth grade and we all knew he’d be something special.” 

Milroe committed to Texas on July 21, starting a storm of UT commitments for 2021. He’s a magnet of personality with players from across the city and state, wanting to join him in burnt orange. It’s the unique combination of talent and leadership. Not many teenagers can achieve the feat. Milroe takes it seriously. 

“I take a lot of pride in the fact that guys want to play with me,” Milroe said. “I’m trying to do it for the program. I’m just telling guys how we can build something at Texas if we stop moving out of the state and making everyone else look good.” 

The future Longhorn is liking what he sees from Texas. 

“Sam (Ehlinger) is taking control of the offense. It’s an explosive offense,” he said. “I love the program at Texas. I’m in steady communication with them and I can’t wait to be a Longhorn. I love that Texas is ready to compete with anybody. They play as one unit.” 

Milroe is no longer the upcoming sophomore. He’s a known commodity committed to Texas, and that comes with added responsibility. 

“I don’t feel the pressure of being committed to Texas. I love having the target on my back,” Milroe said. “Each week, I try to get better.”

He’s also working on making Adeleye, his current teammate, a future teammate. 

“Jalen is in my ear about Texas every single day,” Adeleye said. “He plays a big part in my choice, but it is my decision at the end of the day and he understands that.” 

On 9/30/2019 at 11:45 AM, Machinator said:

To Herman's credit he awarded a scholarship to Cort Jaquess first. Cort is on special teams and is a practice All Star. It's a meritocracy.

Well, he certainly didn’t earn the scholarship from fielding onside kicks. 

• Like 1

(Eric Nahlin) Initial 2021 Percentages

Texas is sitting at eight commitments and I'm not sure I've done percentages yet. Normally by the time the staff has that many verbal pledges assembled I'd have done percentages a time or two but that class went from a spark to a Jalen Milroe accelerant wildfire in the blink of an eye.

Here's that group of eight:

QB Jalen Milroe, Tompkins (Katy, TX)
WR Quay Davis, Skyline (Dallas, TX)
TE Juan Davis, Everman (Everman, TX)
TE Lake McRee, Lake Travis (Austin, TX)
OL Hayden Conner, Taylor (Katy, TX)
LB Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney (New Caney, TX)
CB Billy Bowman, Ryan (Denton, TX)
ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders, Ryan (Denton, TX)

The timing of Quay Davis and Hayden Conner was a bit of a surprise but the staff was in a good spot prior to them selecting Texas. The catalyst for the class was landing Milroe, and then Conner committing so quickly after that legitimized Milroe (and Conner) as a leader for the class.

The other players had a natural bend towards Texas, save maybe Juan Davis, who was won over by aggressive early recruiting and overall indifference towards the process.

It's a bit early to talk about class needs but we know they're going to go big on the offensive line while also capitalizing on the bountiful defensive line/edge crop. "Iron sharpens iron" will be a good sell towards that end.

If you look at offers that have been extended it may mislead a bit on the level and amount of skill talent within the cycle. Texas has learned you have to keep pace and put your name in the hat early. It's not their preference to offer kids early, or take them early, but they're keeping with the times and didn't want a redo of the Great 2020 Lull. You have to cast that net a little earlier and where the water is deeper.

We're still in the discovery phase to a large degree. It's early in the junior year still and Texas isn't sure of who they'll hard press when it comes time. For now, they'll take guys who are no-doubt takes like the names above. That was encouraging because not all of them were highly rated when UT pushed.

RB Brandon Campbell, Pearland High (Pearland, TX): Both Campbell and LJ Johnson may be hurt by Roschon Johnson's position switch. He's at worst a solid running back but likely better than average. That may keep UT focused on elites, or at a minimum make them much more patient. 80% if they push. Campbell is off to a good start this year. He's about to be joined in the backfield by one of my sleepers, Darius Hale, formerly of Pasadena Dobie. Hale is also in the 2021 class and one I'll be paying close attention to.

RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX): Like with Campbell I think they'll get Johnson if they stay on him. I've heard he doesn't want to leave the state which may open the door for A&M or even TCU. 80% if they push.

RB Will Shipley, Weddington (Matthews, NC): I don't know anything about this guy beyond his tape. Really reminds me of Rex Burkhead. Just kidding, I remember thinking Burkhead would be a safety at Nebraska. Shipley has great feet and top end speed to go with that last name. It's like Jake Smith playing running back full time, which he could do. 20% Texas has some things to sell schematically but I don't know how he's wired. Does he want to stay close to home. Is this simply Herman putting a burr under Mack Brown's saddle?

RB Camar Wheaton, Lakeview Centennial (Garland, TX): The percentage I was least looking forward to giving. He remains a hard read, though I know UT feels it's in pretty good shape. I think this would have been a fundamental, two-handed dunk if Samples didn't depart for SMU. I think he would have made it less likely something unforeseen happens. 60%. Fans shouldn't be expecting him in the class but should remain somewhat optimistic. If he doesn't end up at Texas don't assume he ends up at a national elite. Texas has a good relationship brewing here and that's what it will take to win.

WR JoJo Earle, Aledo (Aledo, TX): One of the biggest needs to me, especially if UT passes on taking an H in 2020. He's a do-it-all from the slot, including end-arounds. He has a good, strong build but can work vertically as well. I think Oklahoma State is the toughest competition but I've heard of a lot of optimism behind the scenes in UT's favor. He may decide in November or December. 80%. Devin Duvernay and the offense have done a hell of a job selling this position.

WR Theodore Knox, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX): I'm going to see Knox play on Friday night and will hopefully catch up with him after the game. Like with Earle I've heard good things about UT's standing but I'm not sure they'll stay all in on him if they land Earle. However, with his speed I could easily see Knox at Z. Despite having Quay Davis they may still push. Davis is strong and can really climb the ladder giving him X potential despite lack of length. Knox has a touch of Jalen Reagor to his game. 70% if they recruit him hard.

WR Latrell Neville, Fort Bend Hightower (Missouri City, TX): Last I talked to Neville he said he was going to decide next spring. It's hard to know who will be pushing for him by then. It could be tier-1 schools, it could be tier-2, or maybe a mix. If UT recruits him like a priority I think they'll get him -- 80% -- but he may be lower on the board than Jerand Bradley (John Paul II) who has yet to receive an offer. Texas may even elect to take a pass at X in the class and take two in 2020.

OL James Brockermeyer, All Saints' Episcopal (Fort Worth, TX): I think it'll come down to Texas, Alabama, and Georgia, but James does like Iowa as well. I just have a tough time seeing him anywhere but Texas. 85%

OL Tommy Brockermeyer, All Saints' Episcopal (Fort Worth, TX): Tommy liked Clemson quite a bit but they would have been a bigger threat if they offered James. Alabama will have something to say, as will Georgia, but Tommy's timing will line up well to compete for early/immediate playing time. 85% Here's where I underscore that you don't take them for granted. They're going to an excellent program first -- family ties are secondary.

OL Reuben Fatheree, Foster (Richmond, TX): It's tough for me to see the big man in the class because of numbers, which is a great indication of overall class strength. I could see him at LSU, OU, or Baylor. Maybe A&M. 20% If UT misses on Byrd perhaps things get more interesting but by then it could be too late. There are a ton of offensive linemen in this class and we'll see more intriguing late-risers than normal.

OL Bryce Foster, Taylor (Katy, TX): Obviously his ties to A&M are a big topic and something worth diving deep on. In talking with his mom I believe her when she says she isn't pushing him in any direction. Trust but verify, imo. I know there's confidence within the current commits they can land Foster, but he's going to do his homework on a number of schools including UT, A&M, OU, and Oregon. 60%. I think the allure of playing with his boys will be tough to beat on top of UT having a good throwing program in Track and Field.

OL Donovan Jackson, Episcopal (Bellaire, TX): He and his family are looking for a good marriage of academics and football. When I learn that I automatically think of the blue-blood programs also known for academics. Texas fits that mold and that's how they won over Tyler Johnson and his academic minded parents. I like the profile of this family to the school and Jackson to the program. It also doesn't hurt having Hayden Conner and Jalen Milroe in his ear. 75% I'll be keeping a close eye on Ohio State. Obviously they have a trick or two up their sleeve when it comes to competing with the Texas sell.

OL Jonah Miller, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): Miller was all about UT early in the process and visited a time or two. Then things cooled a bit but with Bijan Robinson in the class he bears watching especially if they miss on Byrd. 20%.

OL Savion Byrd, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): The word on Byrd is he hasn't really been anywhere but UT and SMU. SMU is starting to come up more than ever -- like Houston did for a while when Herman first arrived in 3rd Ward. Because of his lack of exposure to other schools I'd hate to get over my skis on predicting him to Texas, though I do feel like UT is the most likely destination at this point. The Duncanville staff, however, will have respected input in the decision. Byrd being close to Ja'Quinden Jackson is a big positive. 55%

DL Marcus Burris, Pleasant Grove (Texarkana, TX): I love him as a fit for the Texas defense but A&M is going to be tough to beat because of the smaller town feel. Plus, they have a d-line that's active with Burris types. 30% This is one of those recruitments you want on a longer developmental path. The goal should be to get him to campus as much as possible to let him adapt to the environs.

DE Tunmise Adeleye, Tompkins (Katy, TX): He has an Emmanuel Acho presence with how vocal he is. They even sound alike. I've never inquired about his grades because he seems so sharp. Academics are the hole card with his father and that puts Texas in a favorable spot along with Washington. He's not going to Washington. Ohio State's academics are good, as are A&M's. Neither of those schools have UT's ace recruiter on Tunmise's team or in UT's class. A while back I said I'd have him at 70% to Texas and ride the highs and lows. Kicking and screaming, imo, until he isn't...kinda like his buddy Princely.

DE Jordon Thomas, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX): Texas jumped out in front early with its pursuit of Thomas, but others, notably A&M, LSU, and Florida, have jumped in the picture. After a visit to A&M he named the Aggies his leader. We've seen that movie a time or too and know how that plot unfolded: It's about selling fit. Thomas is a Ta'Quon Graham type who can fit any front. This will be a hard-fought recruitment as he doesn't appear to be in a hurry. When I asked him about visits he mentioned taking them next Summer. Unfortunately he's missing this season with a knee injury. He's one I really wanted to see film on but I did hear he looked really impressive in August camp. 40%

DE Shemar Turner, DeSoto (DeSoto, TX): You know who else went to DeSoto? That's right, Von Miller, and you play just like him!!! Here's an edit of you standing back to back with him to prove it! See, you both wear even numbers, it's meant to be!! Turner is a big-bodied current d-end who profiles to 3-tech or nose tackle. He won't be pitched that way but that's the direction the scale is headed. He has good movement skills for 4i but they're potentially outstanding for playing further in. That's about all I know of him. Junior year tape so far is pretty solid. There's a bit of bounce. 25%

LB/DE Landon Jackson, Pleasant Grove (Texarkana, TX): Jackson is making up for lost time as a sophomore in a major way this season. The key factor with his recruitment appears to be his preference to play a linebacker role that exists at Texas but not at A&M. I think Texas has the lead right now but if another off-season of S&C makes him think he's a d-end he may prefer the Aggie fit. 60%

LB Clayton Smith, Texas High (Texarkana, TX): Smith could be a B-backer or Rover given his movement skills. The beautiful thing about the B-backer/Rover cross-over is the ability to get in the back-field and efficacy as a blitzer. They should be stout versus o-lineman as well, though sometimes length can hurt them taking on guards. I'm a bit concerned about LSU because of fit, but of course that means he's a good fit at UT as well and the Texas staff got the jump on the relationship. 65%

LB Kendrick Blackshire, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): Michael Clarke Duncanville should go to LSU and have them work the same witchcraft that helped Devin White lose weight in college and play linebacker. I still have no clue what his long-term projection is but I bet we find out in the SEC. 25% At linebacker it would be tough for him to cover The Whole Nine Yards.

CB Tony Grimes, Princess Anne (Virginia Beach, VA): Texas is going to be squarely in this with the national elites but that alone gives you an idea of the odds the staff is facing. I think UT's hat will be on the table whether he's picking from five or picking from three but it's tough to handicap beyond that. We know how hard these top corners are prioritized. 33%.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Kimball (Dallas, TX): Silky smooth and very light on his feet, Ibraheem is going to do well on the camp circuit, but I like his level of willingness to mix it up. They'll add pop through S&C but willingness is tough to add. We need to check back in on him but I've felt like UT was the team to beat since even before they offered in June. 70%

DB JD Coffey III, Kennedale (Kennedale, TX): Coffey, like the drink, just spelled differently. He's a combo of the positives of Xavion Alford and Jerrin Thompson, though I think he may have more range than Alford and be a bigger hitter than Thompson. I'd be surprised if he ended up anywhere but Texas but he's going to take visits and do his homework. 80%

Early percentages should always be taken with a larger grain of salt than later in the process. We're still learning these kids and more suitors could cloud the picture. Or, in the other direction, the picture may become more clearer as a player nears a decision.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

Texas is sitting at eight commitments and I'm not sure I've done percentages yet. Normally by the time the staff has that many verbal pledges assembled I'd have done percentages a time or two but that class went from a spark to a Jalen Milroe accelerant wildfire in the blink of an eye.

The timing of Quay Davis and Hayden Conner was a bit of a surprise but the staff was in a good spot prior to them selecting Texas. The catalyst for the class was landing Milroe, and then Conner committing so quickly after that legitimized Milroe (and Conner) as a leader for the class.

The other players had a natural bend towards Texas, save maybe Juan Davis, who was won over by aggressive early recruiting and overall indifference towards the process.

It's a bit early to talk about class needs but we know they're going to go big on the offensive line while also capitalizing on the bountiful defensive line/edge crop. "Iron sharpens iron" will be a good sell towards that end.

If you look at offers that have been extended it may mislead a bit on the level and amount of skill talent within the cycle. Texas has learned you have to keep pace and put your name in the hat early. It's not their preference to offer kids early, or take them early, but they're keeping with the times and didn't want a redo of the Great 2020 Lull. You have to cast that net a little earlier and where the water is deeper.

We're still in the discovery phase to a large degree. It's early in the junior year still and Texas isn't sure of who they'll hard press when it comes time. For now, they'll take guys who are no-doubt takes like the names above. That was encouraging because not all of them were highly rated when UT pushed.

RB Brandon Campbell, Pearland High (Pearland, TX): Both Campbell and LJ Johnson may be hurt by Roschon Johnson's position switch. He's at worst a solid running back but likely better than average. That may keep UT focused on elites, or at a minimum make them much more patient. 80% if they push. Campbell is off to a good start this year. He's about to be joined in the backfield by one of my sleepers, Darius Hale, formerly of Pasadena Dobie. Hale is also in the 2021 class and one I'll be paying close attention to.

RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX): Like with Campbell I think they'll get Johnson if they stay on him. I've heard he doesn't want to leave the state which may open the door for A&M or even TCU. 80% if they push.

RB Will Shipley, Weddington (Matthews, NC): I don't know anything about this guy beyond his tape. Really reminds me of Rex Burkhead. Just kidding, I remember thinking Burkhead would be a safety at Nebraska. Shipley has great feet and top end speed to go with that last name. It's like Jake Smith playing running back full time, which he could do. 20% Texas has some things to sell schematically but I don't know how he's wired. Does he want to stay close to home. Is this simply Herman putting a burr under Mack Brown's saddle?

RB Camar Wheaton, Lakeview Centennial (Garland, TX): The percentage I was least looking forward to giving. He remains a hard read, though I know UT feels it's in pretty good shape. I think this would have been a fundamental, two-handed dunk if Samples didn't depart for SMU. I think he would have made it less likely something unforeseen happens. 60%. Fans shouldn't be expecting him in the class but should remain somewhat optimistic. If he doesn't end up at Texas don't assume he ends up at a national elite. Texas has a good relationship brewing here and that's what it will take to win.

WR JoJo Earle, Aledo (Aledo, TX): One of the biggest needs to me, especially if UT passes on taking an H in 2020. He's a do-it-all from the slot, including end-arounds. He has a good, strong build but can work vertically as well. I think Oklahoma State is the toughest competition but I've heard of a lot of optimism behind the scenes in UT's favor. He may decide in November or December. 80%. Devin Duvernay and the offense have done a hell of a job selling this position.

WR Theodore Knox, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX): I'm going to see Knox play on Friday night and will hopefully catch up with him after the game. Like with Earle I've heard good things about UT's standing but I'm not sure they'll stay all in on him if they land Earle. However, with his speed I could easily see Knox at Z. Despite having Quay Davis they may still push. Davis is strong and can really climb the ladder giving him X potential despite lack of length. Knox has a touch of Jalen Reagor to his game. 70% if they recruit him hard.

WR Latrell Neville, Fort Bend Hightower (Missouri City, TX): Last I talked to Neville he said he was going to decide next spring. It's hard to know who will be pushing for him by then. It could be tier-1 schools, it could be tier-2, or maybe a mix. If UT recruits him like a priority I think they'll get him -- 80% -- but he may be lower on the board than Jerand Bradley (John Paul II) who has yet to receive an offer. Texas may even elect to take a pass at X in the class and take two in 2020.

OL James Brockermeyer, All Saints' Episcopal (Fort Worth, TX): I think it'll come down to Texas, Alabama, and Georgia, but James does like Iowa as well. I just have a tough time seeing him anywhere but Texas. 85%

OL Tommy Brockermeyer, All Saints' Episcopal (Fort Worth, TX): Tommy liked Clemson quite a bit but they would have been a bigger threat if they offered James. Alabama will have something to say, as will Georgia, but Tommy's timing will line up well to compete for early/immediate playing time. 85% Here's where I underscore that you don't take them for granted. They're going to an excellent program first -- family ties are secondary.

OL Reuben Fatheree, Foster (Richmond, TX): It's tough for me to see the big man in the class because of numbers, which is a great indication of overall class strength. I could see him at LSU, OU, or Baylor. Maybe A&M. 20% If UT misses on Byrd perhaps things get more interesting but by then it could be too late. There are a ton of offensive linemen in this class and we'll see more intriguing late-risers than normal.

OL Bryce Foster, Taylor (Katy, TX): Obviously his ties to A&M are a big topic and something worth diving deep on. In talking with his mom I believe her when she says she isn't pushing him in any direction. Trust but verify, imo. I know there's confidence within the current commits they can land Foster, but he's going to do his homework on a number of schools including UT, A&M, OU, and Oregon. 60%. I think the allure of playing with his boys will be tough to beat on top of UT having a good throwing program in Track and Field.

OL Donovan Jackson, Episcopal (Bellaire, TX): He and his family are looking for a good marriage of academics and football. When I learn that I automatically think of the blue-blood programs also known for academics. Texas fits that mold and that's how they won over Tyler Johnson and his academic minded parents. I like the profile of this family to the school and Jackson to the program. It also doesn't hurt having Hayden Conner and Jalen Milroe in his ear. 75% I'll be keeping a close eye on Ohio State. Obviously they have a trick or two up their sleeve when it comes to competing with the Texas sell.

OL Jonah Miller, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): Miller was all about UT early in the process and visited a time or two. Then things cooled a bit but with Bijan Robinson in the class he bears watching especially if they miss on Byrd. 20%.

OL Savion Byrd, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): The word on Byrd is he hasn't really been anywhere but UT and SMU. SMU is starting to come up more than ever -- like Houston did for a while when Herman first arrived in 3rd Ward. Because of his lack of exposure to other schools I'd hate to get over my skis on predicting him to Texas, though I do feel like UT is the most likely destination at this point. The Duncanville staff, however, will have respected input in the decision. Byrd being close to Ja'Quinden Jackson is a big positive. 55%

DL Marcus Burris, Pleasant Grove (Texarkana, TX): I love him as a fit for the Texas defense but A&M is going to be tough to beat because of the smaller town feel. Plus, they have a d-line that's active with Burris types. 30% This is one of those recruitments you want on a longer developmental path. The goal should be to get him to campus as much as possible to let him adapt to the environs.

DE Tunmise Adeleye, Tompkins (Katy, TX): He has an Emmanuel Acho presence with how vocal he is. They even sound alike. I've never inquired about his grades because he seems so sharp. Academics are the hole card with his father and that puts Texas in a favorable spot along with Washington. He's not going to Washington. Ohio State's academics are good, as are A&M's. Neither of those schools have UT's ace recruiter on Tunmise's team or in UT's class. A while back I said I'd have him at 70% to Texas and ride the highs and lows. Kicking and screaming, imo, until he isn't...kinda like his buddy Princely.

DE Jordon Thomas, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX): Texas jumped out in front early with its pursuit of Thomas, but others, notably A&M, LSU, and Florida, have jumped in the picture. After a visit to A&M he named the Aggies his leader. We've seen that movie a time or too and know how that plot unfolded: It's about selling fit. Thomas is a Ta'Quon Graham type who can fit any front. This will be a hard-fought recruitment as he doesn't appear to be in a hurry. When I asked him about visits he mentioned taking them next Summer. Unfortunately he's missing this season with a knee injury. He's one I really wanted to see film on but I did hear he looked really impressive in August camp. 40%

DE Shemar Turner, DeSoto (DeSoto, TX): You know who else went to DeSoto? That's right, Von Miller, and you play just like him!!! Here's an edit of you standing back to back with him to prove it! See, you both wear even numbers, it's meant to be!! Turner is a big-bodied current d-end who profiles to 3-tech or nose tackle. He won't be pitched that way but that's the direction the scale is headed. He has good movement skills for 4i but they're potentially outstanding for playing further in. That's about all I know of him. Junior year tape so far is pretty solid. There's a bit of bounce. 25%

LB/DE Landon Jackson, Pleasant Grove (Texarkana, TX): Jackson is making up for lost time as a sophomore in a major way this season. The key factor with his recruitment appears to be his preference to play a linebacker role that exists at Texas but not at A&M. I think Texas has the lead right now but if another off-season of S&C makes him think he's a d-end he may prefer the Aggie fit. 60%

LB Clayton Smith, Texas High (Texarkana, TX): Smith could be a B-backer or Rover given his movement skills. The beautiful thing about the B-backer/Rover cross-over is the ability to get in the back-field and efficacy as a blitzer. They should be stout versus o-lineman as well, though sometimes length can hurt them taking on guards. I'm a bit concerned about LSU because of fit, but of course that means he's a good fit at UT as well and the Texas staff got the jump on the relationship. 65%

LB Kendrick Blackshire, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): Michael Clarke Duncanville should go to LSU and have them work the same witchcraft that helped Devin White lose weight in college and play linebacker. I still have no clue what his long-term projection is but I bet we find out in the SEC. 25% At linebacker it would be tough for him to cover The Whole Nine Yards.

CB Tony Grimes, Princess Anne (Virginia Beach, VA): Texas is going to be squarely in this with the national elites but that alone gives you an idea of the odds the staff is facing. I think UT's hat will be on the table whether he's picking from five or picking from three but it's tough to handicap beyond that. We know how hard these top corners are prioritized. 33%.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Kimball (Dallas, TX): Silky smooth and very light on his feet, Ibraheem is going to do well on the camp circuit, but I like his level of willingness to mix it up. They'll add pop through S&C but willingness is tough to add. We need to check back in on him but I've felt like UT was the team to beat since even before they offered in June. 70%

DB JD Coffey III, Kennedale (Kennedale, TX): Coffey, like the drink, just spelled differently. He's a combo of the positives of Xavion Alford and Jerrin Thompson, though I think he may have more range than Alford and be a bigger hitter than Thompson. I'd be surprised if he ended up anywhere but Texas but he's going to take visits and do his homework. 80%

Early percentages should always be taken with a larger grain of salt than later in the process. We're still learning these kids and more suitors could cloud the picture. Or, in the other direction, the picture may become more clearer as a player nears a decision.

source.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

Surprised they have Jackson and Foster higher than Byrd.  Don't think we get all 3 plus Conner and Brock bros.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Surprised they have Jackson and Foster higher than Byrd.  Don't think we get all 3 plus Conner and Brock bros.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Jackson and Foster have Milroe and Conner recruiting them. I'd have Byrd higher than that tough; maybe 70%. 

I count 8 possibilities.

2021 offers from Houston area (who've been mentioned as interested in UT):

RB: L.J.Johnson (Cy Fair), B.Campbell (Pearland)

WR: T.Knox (Woodlands), L.Neville (Missouri City)

TE: V.Gumms (Dekaney)

OT: D.Jackson (Bellaire)

OG: B.Foster (Katy)

SDE: T.Adeleye (Katy)

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From TFLoss.  Let the speculation begin.

2021 OL Hayden Conner of Katy Taylor told The Football Brainiacs that he and 2021 QB Jalen Milroe are working hard on a Houston area recruit who is on the verge of committing.

Seems like only a couple top targets in this class are from the Houston area

I mean, I think the most likely options are Jackson, Foster, and Adeleye for various reasons. 

I'd go Jackson, Foster and Adeleye in descending order. Of course, I'm basing this auger on the exact same information that Bevo used to label Jake Smith a slow possession receiver: pure unadulterated ignorance. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I think the most likely options are Jackson, Foster, and Adeleye for various reasons. 

I'd go Jackson, Foster and Adeleye in descending order. Of course, I'm basing this auger on the exact same information that Bevo used to label Jake Smith a slow possession receiver: pure unadulterated ignorance. 

I think you are right.

• Haha 2

I’m betting it’s Jackson. Seems like there’s been a ton of positive buzz about him lately. Until we hear reports that Momma Foster has kicked her son out of the house, I wouldn’t guess Bryce.

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'd go Jackson, Foster and Adeleye, respectively. Of course, I'm basing this auger on the exact same information that Bevo used to label Jake Smith a slow possession receiver: pure unadulterated ignorance. 

FIFY. This is the recruiting board after all.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m betting it’s Jackson. Seems like there’s been a ton of positive buzz about him lately. Until we hear reports that Momma Foster has kicked her son out of the house, I wouldn’t guess Bryce.

FIFY. This is the recruiting board after all.

Respectfully, you can get fucked. Just because. After all, this is the recruiting board. 

18 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I count 8 possibilities.

2021 offers from Houston area (who've been mentioned as interested in UT):

RB: L.J.Johnson (Cy Fair), B.Campbell (Pearland)

WR: T.Knox (Woodlands), L.Neville (Missouri City)

TE: V.Gumms (Dekaney)

OT: D.Jackson (Bellaire)

OG: B.Foster (Katy)

SDE: T.Adeleye (Katy)

It will be a guy that the staff would have told them is a take right now. I don't get the impression that either of the RBs (letting Wheaton sort itself out it seems), Neville, or Gumms are takes. Knox may not be either, I'm sure Earle is higher on their board. So that leaves Jackson, Foster, and Adeleye. Well done, @Sydney Cartoon

Hope it's Foster or Adeleye, want The Brocks™️ before Jackson.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I wish they had a better shot at Grimes.  He looked like the best cover corner for 2020/2021 classes based on the video from one of the elite camps this past summer.

I mean, were as in it as we'll ever be for a Virginian this far away from NSD. Texas just needs to produce a similar level CB.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It will be a guy that the staff would have told them is a take right now. I don't get the impression that either of the RBs (letting Wheaton sort itself out it seems), Neville, or Gumms are takes. Knox may not be either, I'm sure Earle is higher on their board. So that leaves Jackson, Foster, and Adeleye. Well done, @Sydney Cartoon

Hope it's Foster or Adeleye, want The Brocks™️ before Jackson.

Jackson is at least as good as Foster is. You should really really want him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jackson is at least as good as Foster is. You should really really want him.

But do The Brocks™️ think twice with Jackson in the fold? That's my only concern. I want the oline MVP from the opening, but I want a Texas legacy fulfilling his all american potential at DKR more. 

Edit to add: It doesn't matter if Jackson projects to guard. They're not recruiting him as one, and they're probably not telling other recruits that either.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

But do The Brocks™️ think twice with Jackson in the fold? That's my only concern. I want the oline MVP from the opening, but I want a Texas legacy fulfilling his all american potential at DKR more. 

I think they want good coaching and a shot at winning things. I also think Tommy thinks he can beat out anyone (if you don't, why are you also into Clemson, UGA and Bama?)

Edited by texifornia