Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Spring Branch Horn said:

https://www.chron.com/local/article/Katy-quarterback-to-miss-two-games-after-using-14494661.php?cmpid=hpctp

Katy QB uses a racial slur against Tompkins and is suspended for 2 games

I know this game was discussed earlier in this thread

Is there anything Adeleye can’t do? He just took out the QB for his teams biggest rival with a tweet. He had better shoot up the rankings after this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spring Branch Horn said:

https://www.chron.com/local/article/Katy-quarterback-to-miss-two-games-after-using-14494661.php?cmpid=hpctp

Katy QB uses a racial slur against Tompkins and is suspended for 2 games

I know this game was discussed earlier in this thread

I remember the starting Texas center made a racial trope statement on facebook after Obama's 1st election and was kicked off the team. This QB should be done with football.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Those Stills boys blew up Angilau’s shit several times on reach blocks.  They are legit players and our guy is a freshman.  It’s going to be ok.  

Quentin Nelson would’ve had trouble with those reach blocks. It’s less about Angilau or Sills and much more on the coaches.

3 hours ago, ousux said:

According to the aggy in my family, (I assume we all have one?) he hears the Gomers are doing everything they possibly can to make sure Landon Jackson will be swaying and sawing the horns off every non horned mascot in the SEC after his HS career is done..

Make what you will of "everything possible"

We’re not all suckers. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-How-Texas-Longhorns-commits-fared-over-the-weekend-on-the-high-school-gridiron-136623136/

How Texas commits fared this weekend

By  CLINT BUCKLEY       2 hours ago

• Ja'Tavion Sanders, ATH, Denton Ryan — Ryan rolled to a 68-0 blowout of Carrollton Newman Smith. Sanders caught a 25-yard touchdown pass on offense, but there were no defensive stats for Sanders recorded. Ryan plays host to Colleyville Heritage on Friday.
  • Jalen Milroe, QB, Katy Tompkins — Milroe completed 19 of 28 passes for 407 yards with three touchdowns and one interception in Tompkins’ 35-30 loss to Katy. Tompkins plays Katy Mayde Creek on Thursday night.
  • Quaydarius Davis, WR, Dallas Skyline — Davis caught two passes for 2 yards in Skyline’s 61-0 loss to Duncanville. Skyline is at Dallas W.T. White this Friday night.
  • Billy Bowman, WR, Denton Ryan — Bowman caught a 55-yard touchdown pass in Ryan’s 68-0 win over Carrollton Newman Smith. There were no defensive stats available for Bowman. Ryan is at home against Colleyville Heritage this Friday.
  • Hayden Conner, OT, Katy Taylor — Taylor eased to a 45-10 win over Katy Seven Lakes. There were no stats recorded for Conner, but Taylor did 443 yards of offense, including 292 on the ground. Taylor faces Katy Cinco Ranch on Thursday night.
  • Derrick Harris Jr, OLB, New Caney — New Caney cruised to a 63-6 win over Galena Park. Harris had six tackles (three for loss) with an interception. New Caney plays at Port Arthur Memorial on Friday night.
  • Juan Davis, ATH, Everman — Everman was off last week, but is back in action Friday night at Midlothian.

NOTE:  Lake McRee is injured and out for the season.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I remember the starting Texas center made a racial trope statement on facebook after Obama's 1st election and was kicked off the team. This QB should be done with football.

Burnette was not our starting center.

If you really want to punish the kid, kick him off Katy High and make him go play QB at Seven Lakes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Burnette was not our starting center.

If you really want to punish the kid, kick him off Katy High and make him go play QB at Seven Lakes.

Wasn't he about to be the starter due to injury? You are right though, he was the backup when he posted to facebook.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:25 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

We are going to slow play this kid until Wheaton/Johnson gets figured and he'll commit to someone who is pushing for him.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

That's my fear. Drayton/Herman pulling a Noah Cain/Trey Sanders. 

It's early right now, and Campbell is a kid who can be swayed later in the process by our Houston commits. Also, there's a good chance we'll be turning down quality prospects as the 2021 class winds down. 

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's early right now, and Campbell is a kid who can be swayed later in the process by our Houston commits. Also, there's a good chance we'll be turning down quality prospects as the 2021 class winds down. 

Yeah, With how stacked this class is, we have to be picky and we’ll have the momentum to pull someone like Campbell even late in the cycle. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

WVU has two dudes on their DL, and so does OU (Perkins, Gallimore)

Gallimore is not a dude. He's a bully and a pussy. The minute he's punched in the gut, he wilts. He did it last year when they played anyone with talent. He'll do it again. He's been beating on sisters of the poor up to now. I feel almost certain we'll see him pulled off the field for an injury at some point, only to see him back in there on the next drive. It's his thing. 

Perkins is solid, but he's not explosive. The Stills guy was explosive and quick. I'm interested to see what, exactly, OU brings to the table this year on defense that has any new value. I don't expect much.

• Like 3

IT

BROCKERMEYERS

Blake Brockermeyer text on Sunday, "we're throwing bombs to the LT now, where do we sign?!!" The touchdown lateral to Sam Cosmi was quite the attention getter.

In case you missed it, Brockermeyer is on the secondary coaching staff at SMU. The Mustangs are off to a 6-0 start after a three OT victory versus Tulsa. SMU has a bye this week, which he couldn't be happier about because he can take the family to the Cotton Bowl.

The twins, James and Tommy, will also be in Austin the following weekend when UT takes on Kansas. They'll spend some quality time with Luke after the game.

Things are right on time with the 2021 offensive linemen from Fort Worth All Saints.

HUNTER WASHINGTON

Washington is one of the top corners in the state for 2021 and holds offers from some of the nation's top programs. He isn't the tallest at 5-foot-11, but he has good feet and is well built for not being one those 6-foot-1 prototypes.

He gave up a long pass or two to Jalen Milroe on Thursday night, but he was in good position and going up against a fine wide receiver.

I've had Washington figured for Ohio State for a while but the door is still pretty open. Texas has yet to offer but they are recruiting him.

He just picked up A&M:
"It means a lot, I've been going there since my freshman year. I've been looking up to their cornerbacks as well. I've been there a couple of times and the atmosphere was crazy. I know I have more options but they're going to be one of my options."

Schools he hears from the most:
"It's Ohio State, TCU, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Mississippi State, Florida and USC."

Visits planned:
"So far I'm going to Ohio State on the 26th of this month."

How much are you hearing from UT?
"A lot. Coach Washington texted me earlier today saying good luck and stuff like that."

Is this a school you're still interested in? (My concern is UT may push a little late due to still figuring out the big board)
"I'm still interested in them as well."

Ohio State may give itself a commanding lead later this month but I picked up a hint or two that Washington may want to stick closer to home. You could hear in his voice he was excited about the A&M visit. If UT does offer things will get interesting.

Ohio State plays Wisconsin on the 26th. If you're reading, Alfred Collins, that's how it's done.

CARTHAGE, PLEASANT GROVE, and TEXAS TARGETS in TEXARKANA

When two of the top teams in the state meet up, you should expect some fireworks. When both teams combine for at least seven D1 prospects, that's even better.

No. 2 Carthage knocked off No. 1 Pleasant Grove, 35-14 on this night. It was 14-all entering the final stanza, but the Bulldogs pulled away late, mostly because PG couldn't get Carthage off the field. The Hawks ran out of gas and the 2nd ranked team in 4A proved triumphant.

There were a dozen colleges on hand (A&M, Texas Tech, La Tech, SMU), and Arkansas HC Chad Morris flew in the Hog-Copter.

I caught up with a handful of UT offers and targets for some thoughts on the night, the season, and their recruiting.

Let's start with the best player on the field, Pleasant Grove five-star OLB/DE Landon Jackson. The 6-foot-5, 245-pound stand up backer and rush end put on a show. He had a sack and TFL on the first two plays of the game. He finished with at least a dozen QB pressures, seven tackles, three TFLs, and three sacks despite being on the field most of the fourth quarter.

"We were working our gameplan early and effectively," said Jackson. "But Carthage is a great team, and when we couldn't stop them on third downs, it caught up to us. I don't care at all about the stats. I just want to win. Physically, I feel great. I feel like I'm finally back to where I want to be. Probably better."

As for recruiting, right now, three schools stand out for Jackson; Texas, Ohio State, and Texas A&M. He wants to stay on his current timeline - Top 10 at the end of the season, Top 5 in the summer, commit around August before his senior year begins.

"I hear from UT, Ohio State, and A&M the most," Jackson said. "But right now, I'm focused on getting ready for next week. I might take in a few games when the playoffs roll around."

Today, I still feel like Texas is the quiet leader. But the Aggies and Buckeyes are pushing hard. Texas co-DC Todd Orlando, DL coach Oscar Giles, and area recruiter Derek Warehime are the men tasked with keeping Jackson's attention. And they are doing a really good job.

On the other side, Carthage three-star athlete Kelvontay Dixon put in work. The 6-foot, 180-pound athlete played running back, slot, and outside receiver. He was used on jet sweeps, curl routes, and when he went vertical on 3rd down late in the first half, his touchdown grab with under a minute remaining gave the Bulldogs life and tied the game at 7-all going into halftime.

"The most physical team was going to win tonight and that was us," said the elated Dixon. "We went with the quick passing game and jet sweeps to neutralize their strengths (defensive line). And it worked. That big play before halftime changed the game. It gave us momentum going into the half."

Dixon, in front of Morris and Arkansas RB coach Jeff Traylor, is currently a Razorbacks pledge, but he's keeping his options open.

"I want to make sure I make the right decision so I'm weighing everything out," Dixon said. "I might visit Arkansas in a few weeks (vs Auburn). I might see Texas again. I love watching my brother (UT tailback Keaontay Ingram) play."

Right now, I'd call his pledge to Arkansas soft as Charmin. I also will reiterate that I believe Dixon ends up in UT's Class of 2020. Stay tuned here, y'all.

On the defensive line, Pleasant Grove's Marcus Burris had a tough time. The junior four-star dealt with the Carthage interior, made up of three 300-pounders. With Jackson coming off one side and move-in Torey Phillips (6-foot-5, 260-pound DL from Hope, AR to Pleasant Grove, TX) on the other, I was hopeful to see Burris man the middle. Still, you can see the potential in Burris and how he'd fit nicely in Austin.

"Tonight's loss was tough," said Burris. "But we fought and we'll keep fighting next week and beyond."

The rising talent has plenty of the nation's attention.

"I'm talking to A&M, Texas, LSU, Arkansas, and Alabama," Martin said. "I really like A&M's d-line coach, Terry Price. Coach Giles (UT's DL coach) and I are real cool. I'm just taking my time and looking for the right fit. I'll probably visit a few games during the playoffs."

Another talented PG athlete is junior Nick Martin. The 6-foot, 187-pound running back and safety was primed for this game. Unfortunately, he reaggravated a high ankle sprain early in the contest and wasn't able to play. Too bad, because Martin would've made a difference on this night.

"There's always a lesson to learn when you lose," said Martin. "(Carthage) is good. It was an alley fight. It'll only make us better. We have to keep getting better and get ready for next week."

Martin has a maturity beyond his years. Colleges are finally taking notice.

"Arkansas, Texas, TCU, and Texas A&M," Martin said. "I'm getting looks at running back and safety. Some outside linebacker too. But I'll play wherever the team wants me to play."

On Arkansas... "It's close to home, I've got some family down there too. Might be nice to play somewhere not too far from home."

On Texas.... "UT is showing interest, especially coach Warehime. I love talking to those guys. I just like Texas because I've always liked Texas. I grew up a Longhorns fan. I visited for the Texas-LSU game. Crazy atmosphere. When the fans started the light thing (where everyone in the stands turns on their smart phone light), that was so cool. Just loved it."

• Like 2

Something I keep forgetting to mention is that they really, really like Jonah Miller and he digs them. I didn’t realize it was as real as it is. Yes, they’re going to try to shoot the moon and get 6. No, there isn’t anyone that will prevent Byrd or the Brocks from being takes in this class. My guess is that if Miller wants to come, Foster’s mom fishes her wish. If Foster commits before that, nevermind. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Something I keep forgetting to mention is that they really, really like Jonah Miller and he digs them. I didn’t realize it was as real as it is. Yes, they’re going to try to shoot the moon and get 6. No, there isn’t anyone that will prevent Byrd or the Brocks from being takes in this class. My guess is that if Miller wants to come, Foster’s mom fishes her wish. If Foster commits before that, nevermind. 

Why not uh, 7?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Brock,Brock,Byrd,Conner,Jackson would mean one spot between Foster, Miller and Fatheree(doubt it). That doesn’t account for any other late risers as well, it would almost be shocking if we don’t take 6

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Brock,Brock,Byrd,Conner,Jackson would mean one spot between Foster, Miller and Fatheree(doubt it). That doesn’t account for any other late risers as well, it would almost be shocking if we don’t take 6

Look at all these pre-hatched chickens we have!

Edited by texifornia

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I asked about this here a few weeks ago when Miller's hudl came out. 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, Fud said:

Is Jonah Miller good enough to potentially push out one of the last three OL in the class (Byrd, Jackson, Foster)? 

I agree that Foster is probably the odd man out. He's great right now, but Miller probably actually has higher upside at guard. Of course you probably take all seven if you can, but that seems unlikely. 

10 hours ago, RGBIII said:

tumblr_o1gp6fIJag1s9362xo1_400.gif

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Curious, that you would quote the least talented, least competent character from that movie in support of your position. Without even considering the facts of the case, I find it weakening my opinion of your take.

sounds like someone has a case of the mondays!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2