Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Bama' got a crystal ball pick for a high rated interior OL today, not sure how/if that matters with the Brock's or how many interior guys they are taking.

I don't think it matters; their goal is to take five this class. They especially need immediate impact receivers this class too, considering their misses in '19 and '20.

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Terrence Cooks

This should be Texas, Stanford, land thieves, rapelor, and wildcard. Maybe GT. Maybe Houston. 

Cooks gets credit for sticking to his timeline, but I'm really fucking tired of expecting him to be in the class when he's not in the class. It will be a load off when he announces. 

Really well done perspective piece from Scipio

IT: The Eyes Have it - Scipio Tex

With the recent announcement by interim president Jay Hartzell, Texas seems to have averted an impasse that few wanted where debate had the potential to be defined by the wrong people.

When I wrote this, it got passed around a bit and I had some interesting communications with a number of parties.

The purpose of this post is strictly informative and to offer some context, not seeing how quickly it can get moved to the politics board.

A few scattershot thoughts:

The larger media portrayal of seeming total unanimity - whether with respect to black athletes at UT or the entire athletic community - on all of these issues was incorrect. A lot of athletes talked about the issues, had a wide-ranging discussion, discussed several different courses of action, but a portion in the most high profile sport gleaned the most attention after acting with outside consultation in fashioning their petition.

There was some ambivalence about that. A large number of athletes agreed with them in most parts, but not in totality, some had issues with the perceived spokespeople, or were frustrated to be portrayed as in total support, particularly given that they could not publicly undercut fellow black athletes or teammates. Some felt that guys they would not have appointed were speaking for them or getting the spotlight for a message that needed subtlety. Others had problems with a few players making it more individual rather than sticking to group discipline. That created some tension.

Many reached out quietly to decision makers to let that be known. Football players and athletes from other varsity sports. Current and former.

I think that's a big part of why Hartzell's announcement was viewed favorably. It was a release of that tension. Not only because the Texas administration made a number of reasonable concessions and substantive change, but because they allowed the athletes who had drawn lines in the sand to save face. It gave them an out. The question now is what lesson they take from their experience.

More importantly, a large number of athletes who didn't want their program(s) compromised but also thought these were important issues felt that the administration looked past some of the most vocal but imperfect messengers and got the spirit of their requests. Basically, they felt understood and respected, despite all of the noise.

Human beings being human, this issue was also useful for a couple of guys as a high-minded justification. A little more palatable to tell your Twitter followers you won't play until global hunger is eradicated rather than mention that you're having personal problems, trying to get your grades up, or that you've quit the team multiple times before.

The Eyes Of Texas wasn't going anywhere once people rallied around some of the arguments for its continuation and considered its actual use rather than historical associated ghosts 117 years past. Deeper research also revealed that some of the contentions made about its origins were unclear or somewhat distorted. More conspiracy driven narratives - such as the lyrics of the song being about catching slaves - were and are still surprisingly widely believed in some corners, but it's not known if that was propagated by outside agitators seeking to "educate the players" or if it is just the stuff of echo chambers.

The current football regime runs a high control and high accountability program. The promised payoff for enduring that for the athletes is maturity, wins, NFL attention, and acclaim. The program disappointed last year and a lot of players are frustrated about that. In terms of their own self-definition as athletes and in their frustrated sense that accountability was a one way street with the old staff. When artificial constraints and program controls are lifted by pandemic, and then they are encouraged by Herman to use their platforms at a time of tremendous national tension, the outcomes were predictable, both positive and negative.

Now that some positive change has been made and reasonable accord established, the Texas staff needs to work to get the thread back on the spool and get the focus back on school and ball.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

I don't think it matters; their goal is to take five this class. They especially need immediate impact receivers this class too, considering their misses in '19 and '20.

They will also process James in 1-2 years, and no P5 team in this area will be knocking down his door to take his transfer.

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: VIP intel on Texas tight end target Gunnar Helm

Spoiler

Mike at Night: VIP intel on Texas tight end target Gunnar Helm

MikeRoach

As Blair Angulo reported earlier today, Englewood (CO) Cherry Creek tight end Gunnar Helm is planning to visit Austin next Monday. The three-star tight end took matters into his own hands when it came to COVID-19 and decided to make visits on his own to see the cities that house the schools he has interest in.

Texas was a school thought to be in a sneaky good position after offering, and Helm will now make Austin his last trip before making a decision in the near future. I wrote a few weeks ago that Texas was making a big impression on Helm and his teammate Arden Walker.

After speaking with sources at Texas, there seems to be some optimism on the side of the Longhorns. Jay Boulware has been doing a great job recruiting Helm and his family, and there is a thought that they are coming to Austin to check the box before making a final move.

In checking with other sites, it sounds like Iowa and Wisconsin are in the picture, but those sites are hearing legitimate Texas buzz at this time. Sources near the family told 247Sports that Texas would be tough to beat, and Helm would like to play in a warm weather environment. I was told that Ohio State would be the one offer that would be very tough to overcome, but the Buckeyes have yet to offer.

Helm’s film shows a big frame and an ability to play in-line and push defenses vertically. Helm shows ability after the catch and a willing and able blocking skillset.

Helm recorded 25 receptions for 370 yards and 8 touchdowns last season, according to MaxPreps. His contributions helped Cherry Creek capture a 5A state title in Colorado.

At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, Helm is ranked as the No. 26 tight end in the nation and No. 6 overall prospect in Colorado, according to 247Sports Composite.

2 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

i got offered a trial position at a 995 site xD

fucc them im staying with my clique on surly 

IT gave me a beat, said it's the beat of the year
I said "Surly didn't do it, so get the fuck outta here!"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

My mind has changed a bit on Helm. His tape is tough because he's a big dude against suspect competition who doesn't really know how to play TE (WR to this point). Hands look good, tracks the ball well, elite frame. I pulled up some tape to comp and , and MY GOD. He's Mark Andrews. 

It's the right mold for this class, imo. Especially if we are pitching Donovan Green as being the only TE take in '22.

Edit to add: Come for the tape, stay for the bangers.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

My mind has changed a bit on Helm. His tape is tough because he's a big dude against suspect competition who doesn't really know how to play TE (WR to this point). Hands look good, tracks the ball well, elite frame. I pulled up some tape to comp and , and MY GOD. He's Mark Andrews. 

It's the right mold for this class, imo. Especially if we are pitching Donovan Green as being the only TE take in '22.

Edit to add: Come for the tape, stay for the bangers.

Those are some pretty tall boots. Andrews seems both more filled out and more fluid. I mean, he's taking the ball on end arounds and making people miss and in other clips he's just running away from guys. Nothing against Helm, but those Andrews highlights are rather filthy. Just not quite seeing it. 

55 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Those are some pretty tall boots. Andrews seems both more filled out and more fluid. I mean, he's taking the ball on end arounds and making people miss and in other clips he's just running away from guys. Nothing against Helm, but those Andrews highlights are rather filthy. Just not quite seeing it. 

Mark Andrews had a couple of highlights on end arounds and jukes, but it wasn't like his highlights were filled with them. On a lot of the clips, it looked like he had decent feet but nothing special, fairly fast but a little lumbering. Obviously, we know how he turns out but without that insight his highlights don't scream "must have".

• Like 1

Kyron Drones, impending Baylor->Texas flip per hornfromdallas, is getting a huge bump in the 2021 rankings update post-Elite 11. Up to #122 overall.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-recruiting-rankings-update-2021-top-quarterbacks-149149349/

https://247sports.com/Player/Kyron-Drones-46081020/

Spoiler

The other player who benefited the most from this event in our eyes was Baylor commit Kyron Drones. Drones jumped from a high end three-star with an 89 rating to No. 122 overall in the Top247. He’s now the No. 15 overall quarterback in the country and really opened a lot of eyes. 

When seeing a player blow up at an event, the safe thing is to never get too excited until you go back and see if his tape and numbers correspond with what we just saw live. Drones put up video game numbers in leading his Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek to a 16-0 record and a state title. 

He threw for 3,390 yards and 46 touchdowns while rushing for another 825 yards and 18 scores. He has a powerful 6-2, 200 pound frame and a ton of twitch in his game. The ball jumps out of his hand and his arm strength was live all three days. More than that, Drones showed he’s not just a big arm; he’s a natural thrower and was accurate to all three levels of the field. 

Drones can continue to improve mechanically and refine some things there but we love where his game is headed. He’s also one of the youngest signal callers in this group is still just 16 years old so he’s far from hitting his physical ceiling. When you combine all the physical tools, the arm and athleticism, with his high compete level, Baylor fans should be very excited. 

• Like 1

Just now, 6th Street said:

Did Coleman have a history of shitty WR recruiting or did this come as a total surprise to Herman. They need to cut bait and bring back Samples from SMU if this continues.

He was hired purely on his coaching bonafides after we missed on some more rainmaker hires - he was a good coach at K-State and the current players really like him (hiring him kept us from some likely attrition). Not a great recruiter by any stretch.

7 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Did Coleman have a history of shitty WR recruiting or did this come as a total surprise to Herman. They need to cut bait and bring back Samples from SMU if this continues.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He was hired purely on his coaching bonafides after we missed on some more rainmaker hires - he was a good coach at K-State and the current players really like him (hiring him kept us from some likely attrition). Not a great recruiter by any stretch.

It’s pretty much impossible to tell what kind of a recruiter a KSU position coach was under Snyder. They just don’t go for big names like most schools. Having said that, we had a great chance of bringing in a known elite recruiter at the spot, be it Samples, Jones, or even Carrier. 

Coleman better have all our talented, young WRs playing like All-Americans this season, or this will only get worse. Oh, and good thing Herman took forever to promote Coleman so we also lost out on blue-chipper Quentin Johnston in 2020. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s pretty much impossible to tell what kind of a recruiter a KSU position coach was under Snyder. They just don’t go for big names like most schools. Having said that, we had a great chance of bringing in a known elite recruiter at the spot, be it Samples, Jones, or even Carrier. 

Coleman better have all our talented, young WRs playing like All-Americans this season, or this will only get worse. Oh, and good thing Herman took forever to promote Coleman so we also lost out on blue-chipper Quentin Johnston in 2020. 

That’s my biggest gripe with the Coleman situation. Herman should have cut bait with Meh midseason and promoted Coleman to give him a chance to establish his bona fides. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

He coached at Youngstown State and his alma mater. He turned marginal WR prospects into All Big 12 caliber players. I would give him more than 1 off season during a pandemic when recruiting is done on Zoom, before getting rid of him, considering he saved the room from complete anarchy after taking over from to 2 morons that ran the room before him.

• Like 6

SI All-American candidates have been announced. There are 1,000 candidates and they did (shockingly good) evals for all of them.

Here's UT: https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/si-all-american-watch-list-texas-longhorn-commits-and-key-targets

And here's Texas: https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/si-all-american-football-candidates-in-texas

You have to URL hack Derrick Harris and add the jr

Evals done by John Garcia Jr., spent a long time at Scout. He seems to like Cain, Harris, and Conner more than most. Very good eval on Blackwell. Much higher on Johnson than Ish. Still working through the evals on targets. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

SI All-American candidates have been announced. There are 1,000 candidates and they did (shockingly good) evals for all of them.

Here's UT: https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/si-all-american-watch-list-texas-longhorn-commits-and-key-targets

And here's Texas: https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/si-all-american-football-candidates-in-texas

You have to URL hack Derrick Harris and add the jr

Evals done by John Garcia Jr., spent a long time at Scout. He seems to like Cain, Harris, and Conner more than most. Very good eval on Blackwell. Much higher on Johnson than Ish. Still working through the evals on targets. 

Update: 

It appears that they are still working to post the uncommitted defensive players

• Like 1