3 killed, 8 injured in Michigan High School Shooting

Helobious

10 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

If the kids were afraid something was going down, why didn’t they tell anyone?

The school apparently addressed the rumors earlier in the month. But when it’s this soon after a shooting who really knows if there acfusally were rumors going around or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Probably was an actual sheriff deputy, still a pretty savvy group of kids though.

Not sure I'd be running to another door. I'd be off through the snow like Tony Soprano running from Johhny Sack's house. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm just at a loss. So many meandering thoughts, frustration, anger, sadness. Had to do the whole conversation with my naive 12 year old. Innocence needs to get shattered at some point, I suppose and I'm fortunate to be able to do it preemptively. Hits close to home. RIP to lives lost way too young. 

• Rage+1 1

The "not answering the door even if they say they're police" thing is part of most lockdown procedures.

At our school during a lockdown your room is cleared when police or admin unlock your door with a key. Even if they announce on the PA that the lockdown is over, it's not. The thinking is that it could be an announcement being made under threat.

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

The "not answering the door even if they say they're police" thing is part of most lockdown procedures.

At our school during a lockdown your room is cleared when police or admin unlock your door with a key. Even if they announce on the PA that the lockdown is over, it's not. The thinking is that it could be an announcement being made under threat.

Yep, at my school only the police unlock doors after a real lockdown.

22 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Then they can open the door? That doesn't change the fact that the kids in the room are trained not to let anyone in. 

Ideally that janitor is also locked down behind a closed door as well.

I can't even imagine the mental toll it takes on kids to even have to endure and mentally process those training drills. Think about how completely fucked up that is. And yet, here we are.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

My godson/ nephew is 14 and goes to school in district and they locked him down as precaution. This is about 30 mins from my house. This shit is so scary that video made me sick. 

Yeah that video gave me the shakes thinking about my own 15 or 12 year old in that situation.   If my kids went to a white suburban school I'd scared shitless about their safety.  The parents lawyering up and not cooperating is fucked up.  

Edited by midtown

43 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Then they can open the door? That doesn't change the fact that the kids in the room are trained not to let anyone in. 

Ideally that janitor is also locked down behind a closed door as well.

Right, but what if the kid with the gun gets the keys and opens the door anyway.  Doesn't really matter at that point what the kids were trained to do.  If the shooter knows to go shoot up the Vice Principal's office first and grab the keys...they can do a lot more damage than just walking around posing as Police, hoping somebody will open the door.  

I know, I know.  "NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO BE TALKING ABOUT KEYS, LOBO!  SEND YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!"  

Got it.  I'm gonna go pray the shit outta that prayer.  You'll see!  Gonna pray so hard!  

That scenario is irrelevant to the training. It's about mitigating possibilities.

It is WAY more likely a shooter is going to say "this is the police open the door" than they will track down the maybe 4 people that have the universal key, kill them, find their keys, figure out which key is the one that works, and then goes to open the doors. That is such an unlikely thing.

There are lots of nonsensical "what if" scenarios. That doesn't mean you don't implement procedures to address the most likely possibilities.

• Hook 'Em 2

i think the procedure is just fine.  I'm glad it's in place.  But there have been a few school shootings where the shooter had access to keys/keycards.  That's another thing to plan for.  There is also the possibility a hacker working with the shooter can open up all the key-card controlled doors ahead of the shooting.  Obviously the students/teachers can still barricade the doors.  A shooter with intimate knowledge of the campus can simply wait until students are gathered en masse in the cafeteria or assembly and get more targets there if they don't plan to make it out alive.  

If we can't plan for all these unlikely scenarios, all of which have actually happened multiple times in U.S. schools in the last 25 years...perhaps we can plan for the one thing we could control.  

Now stop interrupting my thoughts and prayers.  I'm changing the world over here! 

Edited by Lobo

Those kinds of things have changed over the years. When I first began teaching 15 years ago my classroom key could open every other classroom on my campus.

Now our keys are departmentalized. My classroom key can only open my door and my immediate neighbors that teach the same subject as me. There are legit school business reasons why I would need to access a fellow math teachers room nearby. But if someone ever took my key from me they could only access a small handful of rooms in the building.

There are only a small number of keys that can open all the doors. And I'm not positive but I think the police department also has that key, or maybe the police have a key to a lockbox in the office that has the universal key, something like that, I am not sure.

I'm glad y'all stay vigilant like that.  But it seems like no matter how many smart, dedicated people like yourself try to stay ahead of the possibilities, this shit still happens.  Apparently in record numbers.  Obviously that's not the correlation, but no matter what is implemented, the shootings still occur.  The constant isn't lack of planning, lack of preparedness, lack of diligence, nor lack of logistics.  The constant is the fucked up kid with a deadly weapon instead of his fists. 

I hope that weapon was seized because I could see that father spending a lot of time this evening with the business end of it in his mouth, thinking about taking the easy way out.  Can't say I blame him.  He ruined his son's life, the dead children, the lives of the families of all of those victims, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume his wife and other children probably aren't huge fans right now either.  He gets the chance, go out and buy another gun and get this over with.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

What if the shooter kills a custodian or administrator who has one of those big keychains?  And takes the keys?

Train the kids and teachers to mob anyone entering who isn’t a police officer. An inelegant solution, but probably the only practical one in that eventuality. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

sounds like you've done a great job cultivating a relationship conducive to open communication. it's so hard to figure out what to say and how to say it.  our oldest is in fifth grade this year at a school that has gang issues and next year in middle school it's going to be even worse.  thanks for your insight.

Those kinds of things have changed over the years. When I first began teaching 15 years ago my classroom key could open every other classroom on my campus.

Now our keys are departmentalized. My classroom key can only open my door and my immediate neighbors that teach the same subject as me. There are legit school business reasons why I would need to access a fellow math teachers room nearby. But if someone ever took my key from me they could only access a small handful of rooms in the building.

There are only a small number of keys that can open all the doors. And I'm not positive but I think the police department also has that key, or maybe the police have a key to a lockbox in the office that has the universal key, something like that, I am not sure.

Compartmentalizing is the only thing schools can really do.  There are just too many variables at play with buildings that were designed to be schools, not fortresses. You can come up with all the lock processes in the world and then the shooter can walk up to the windows those kids jumped through and shoot just as many people. All their processes are there to delay as long as possible until the cops show up and neutralize the shooter. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Train the kids and teachers to mob anyone entering who isn’t a police officer. An inelegant solution, but probably the only practical one in that eventuality. 

Train kids to push the teachers desk against the door, and bolt some 1/4” steel into the face of all desks so you can safely hold it against the door if the guy tries to vent the door out of frustration. 

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

While I don't disagree with the last portion of your sentiment...I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the development of that training module.  

Training kids to smother a shooter entering the classroom with the understanding that it's very likely the first 2 or 3 will be shot before the shooter is debilitated. 

"Hello students, today we're going to cover a frontal and flank assault on a would-be shooter entering a room or barracks from a corner ingress.  It was first developed by holocaust prisoners at Dachau during Final Selection.  Okay, let's count off by 3's..." 

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

While I don't disagree with the last portion of your sentiment...I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the development of that training module.  

Training kids to smother a shooter entering the classroom with the understanding that it's very likely the first 2 or 3 will be shot before the shooter is debilitated. 

"Hello students, today we're going to cover a frontal and flank assault on a would-be shooter entering a room or barracks from a corner ingress.  It was first developed by holocaust prisoners at Dachau during Final Selection.  Okay, let's count off by 3's..." 

The alternative is everyone gets shot until the shooter runs out of ammo or is debilitated by someone else. 

11 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Train kids to push the teachers desk against the door, and bolt some 1/4” steel into the face of all desks so you can safely hold it against the door if the guy tries to vent the door out of frustration. 

If time permits. I don’t even know if it’s a thing, but do all classroom doors open inward? I seem to recall many of them opened outward as a kid, but that’s back when the odd T Rex might poke it’s head through the classroom window. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The alternative is everyone gets shot until the shooter runs out of ammo or is debilitated by someone else. 

Yes, I realize how this shit works.  My point was teaching middle school kids the trolley car dilemma, "Either 3 of you can get shot with this approach, or all of you can get shot with the status quo.  Your choice.  Everybody up, let's begin the simulation."  I cannot imagine my children having to go through that.  But I'm sure it's coming in the next couple of years as SOP for schools.  Sadly, if it was a pistol...it's probably the right call.  If it's a high-capacity weapon and/or assault rifle...neither approach is going to work.  I get that whole idea is to buy time until help arrives.  But what if there was another alternative solution where the high capacity weapon and/or assault rifle can never make it onto campus in the first place?  

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

In these cases, the gun owner should be charged as an accessory to murder for not securing their weapon.  

I completely agree with this.  Whether they knew the kid had issues or not, the gun should not have been accessible to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Right, but what if the kid with the gun gets the keys and opens the door anyway.  Doesn't really matter at that point what the kids were trained to do.  If the shooter knows to go shoot up the Vice Principal's office first and grab the keys...they can do a lot more damage than just walking around posing as Police, hoping somebody will open the door.  

I know, I know.  "NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO BE TALKING ABOUT KEYS, LOBO!  SEND YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!"  

Got it.  I'm gonna go pray the shit outta that prayer.  You'll see!  Gonna pray so hard!  

That scenario is irrelevant to the training. It's about mitigating possibilities.

It is WAY more likely a shooter is going to say "this is the police open the door" than they will track down the maybe 4 people that have the universal key, kill them, find their keys, figure out which key is the one that works, and then goes to open the doors. That is such an unlikely thing.

There are lots of nonsensical "what if" scenarios. That doesn't mean you don't implement procedures to address the most likely possibilities.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

i think the procedure is just fine.  I'm glad it's in place.  But there have been a few school shootings where the shooter had access to keys/keycards.  That's another thing to plan for.  There is also the possibility a hacker working with the shooter can open up all the key-card controlled doors ahead of the shooting.  Obviously the students/teachers can still barricade the doors.  A shooter with intimate knowledge of the campus can simply wait until students are gathered en masse in the cafeteria or assembly and get more targets there if they don't plan to make it out alive.  

If we can't plan for all these unlikely scenarios, all of which have actually happened multiple times in U.S. schools in the last 25 years...perhaps we can plan for the one thing we could control.  

Now stop interrupting my thoughts and prayers.  I'm changing the world over here! 

30 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

25 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Compartmentalizing is the only thing schools can really do.  There are just too many variables at play with buildings that were designed to be schools, not fortresses. You can come up with all the lock processes in the world and then the shooter can walk up to the windows those kids jumped through and shoot just as many people. All their processes are there to delay as long as possible until the cops show up and neutralize the shooter. 

22 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, I realize how this shit works.  My point was teaching middle school kids the trolley car dilemma, "Either 3 of you can get shot with this approach, or all of you can get shot with the status quo.  Your choice.  Everybody up, let's begin the simulation."  I cannot imagine my children having to go through that.  But I'm sure it's coming in the next couple of years as SOP for schools.  Sadly, if it was a pistol...it's probably the right call.  If it's a high-capacity weapon and/or assault rifle...neither approach is going to work.  I get that whole idea is to buy time until help arrives.  But what if there was another alternative solution where the high capacity weapon and/or assault rifle can never make it onto campus in the first place?  

i just again want to point out how inconceivably fucked up this line of conversation is. like completely and utterly broken as a society fucked up that any of these words needed to be typed out.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

I saw that video last night and it hit me hard. Fucking crazy that shit like that is a common occurrence. Our generation grew up with the Columbine shooting. Now as parents and leaders, we still haven't done a god damned thing about school shootings except thoughts and prayers. Fucking crazy. 

You haven't updated your "Mass Shootings Thoughts & Prayers" App since Columbine?  What kind of American are you?  There have been 183 mass shootings (many of them at schools) since Columbine.  You gotta plug your phone in and download the updates.  I'm sending out thoughts and prayers so advanced, you don't even know bro'!  

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I saw that video last night and it hit me hard. Fucking crazy that shit like that is a common occurrence. Our generation grew up with the Columbine shooting. Now as parents and leaders, we still haven't done a god damned thing about school shootings except thoughts and prayers. Fucking crazy. 

Agreed.  What should be done?  And don't start with the outlaw guns because that is not going to happen and we all know it.  I'm not saying "do nothing" for those dumb cunts that like to dry hump legs like a stupid fucking dog, but what can legitimately be done?   I say this as a parent of a 13 year old that thinks about these kinds of things every day as I drop off my son at school.  I'd love for there to be a real solution for this.

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I understand, but the question wasn’t suggest something to come up with an end to all gun violence in school. It was how to tackle this scenario. 

I don’t think the mag capacity has anything to do with it working unless it’s an actual automatic weapon. Obviously reloading a 5 shot .38 would make it a lot harder to shoot a lot of people than a 17 round Glock, but it’s not easy to just point and shoot of 20 people are mobbing you. 

Again, an inelegant solution that might save a few lives. 

Btw, our school has, or had prior to Covid a group of fathers who volunteered to patrol the campus continually on their off days. Maybe the first to get shot, or a real deterrent. I don’t know. 

We both agree.  I'm just frustrated, as per usual.  Father Patrol seems like something I'd do, but would invariably terrify the shit out of my daughter...

"Daddy, are you at my school today to see my show & tell, or tell my class about your job for career day, or bring my hot lunch, or do soccer drills with us at P.E., or help with Spanish Enrichment, or.......?????"

"No sweetie, I'm here today to make sure you don't get shot to death.  And to make sure the other dads get to go hunting.  And if you can't see the connection between the two...welcome to the fucking club.  Hallelujah.  Holy shit.  Where's the cocktail situation at your school?"  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We both agree.  I'm just frustrated, as per usual.  Father Patrol seems like something I'd do, but would invariably terrify the shit out of my daughter...

"Daddy, are you at my school today to see my show & tell, or tell my class about your job for career day, or bring my hot lunch, or do soccer drills with us at P.E., or help with Spanish Enrichment, or.......?????"

"No sweetie, I'm here today to make sure you don't get shot to death.  And to make sure the other dads get to go hunting.  And if you can't see the connection between the two...welcome to the fucking club.  Hallelujah.  Holy shit.  Where's the cocktail situation at your school?"  

You need to bring a flask.

Nope, can't bring a flask to her school.  Or peanuts.  Or the compendium works of Balzac and Rabelais.  But you can sure as shit come heavy with an AR-15 as is our god-given right!