The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

7 hours ago, TexasEd said:

It is non-functional as a lower, not stamped with a serial number and does not require a background check to buy.  IIRC, with a drill press and some minor milling with a dremmel or lathe you can make it functional.

You can figure out why people buy them based on that.

This.

It is just a piece of metal or plastic that can be finished into a receiver which can be finished (with appropriate parts) into a complete AR15 without government permission or any paperwork. In other words, no record of it. Perfectly legal to do unless the ATF bureaucrats change their rules at the behest of their boss.

Americans have always had the right to personally construct their own firearms. Only in the late 20th century was that changed when the government added the caveat that such homemade guns could not be sold by the maker without a government license & transfer paperwork. At least that’s what I understand.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Maybe I was less than clear. Looking more towards Larue, Noveske, LWRC, etc (or a mix match of)  than Palmetto or something off the shelf at Walmart.  I don’t want 5 of them. Just one 15 and one 10, so if they become harder to get (6-months thru 20 years from now) I’ll have one.  

eta - I absolutely believe there is a difference in quality. It may not be linear, but there’s a reason some of those brands can charge what they do. 

LaRue ftw - Texas made. 
Brother’s grandson-in-law worked there for several years. When he married my great niece, the owner gifted him one of their tricked-out ARs. For their first anniversary, the owner gave another one to her. They are much nicer than the Colt LE6920 MP I had bought. (She is a better shot than her hubby) lol

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

LaRue ftw - Texas made. 
Brother’s grandson-in-law worked there for several years. When he married my great niece, the owner gifted him one of their tricked-out ARs. For their first anniversary, the owner gave another one to her. They are much nicer than the Colt LE6920 MP I had bought. (She is a better shot than her hubby) lol

That’s the way I’m leaning.  For whatever reason, I can’t get my brain to digest AR learning; I’ve spent some time trying to learn on them.   Like I said above, this is more to “have it just because” than a true passion for it.  

LaRue ftw - Texas made. 

There for a while, LaRue was just selling lowers to everyone that bought a rifle. They were sending the upper later.

Read this 3 part horror story of official oppression in NYC - the travails of a citizen’s attempt to exercise his 2ndAmendment rights:

https://professional-troublemaker.co...in-nyc-part-i/

https://professional-troublemaker.co...n-nyc-part-ii/

https://professional-troublemaker.co...e-good-reason/

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

Maybe I was less than clear. Looking more towards Larue, Noveske, LWRC, etc (or a mix match of)  than Palmetto or something off the shelf at Walmart.  I don’t want 5 of them. Just one 15 and one 10, so if they become harder to get (6-months thru 20 years from now) I’ll have one.  

eta - I absolutely believe there is a difference in quality. It may not be linear, but there’s a reason some of those brands can charge what they do. 

Yes there’s a difference In quality. Probably not as much as the price difference, but a difference nonetheless.

For a 15, I’d look hard at the brands you mentioned and I’d add Wilson combat to the list. 223 Wylde should be your choice here, not 556 if you want to stay NATO. I dumped the nato round for 300bo. I can do more with it and shoot suppressed. Ammo is a little tough to find right now but it’s out there.

For a 10, I’d throw Primary Weapons Systems onto the list. I’ve got an MK 218 mod 1-m in 6.5 creedmoor. It’s a long stroke piston with adjustable gas. Lots of competitive long range shooters run this gun. 10’s are where you’re money makes a difference in quality IMO.

Of course my favorite AR is a DB15 I got for $599 in 300BO. But my dream gun is a Wilson combat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 1

Tombstone Tactical has the S&W Sport II on “sale” for $728.99  (from the jacked-up price of $799.99).

Decent entry level AR that was selling for $400-$450 before the panic/hoarding started. Cheap ass handguard needs to be upgraded though.

4BB1354C-7941-4873-832C-F640BD09DF9E.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

11 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is there really such a thing as a high end AR, though? There are obviously expensive ones, but the entire platform is geared towards modularity , loose tolerances, and tbh low manufacturing cost. Not quite AK loose tolerance, though, thus the frequent jamming on suppressed ARs that aren’t cleaned after each outing. 

it’s like you’re trying to find a high performance zero-turn mower.

Way smother in the operation, 1 moa barrel, trigger almost as good as a bolt gun.  I highly recommend it, if you have the means.

• Like 2

Yeah-  here’s how I explain it.

If you want an AR for shooting pigs, as a truck gun, or for casual shooting, you don’t need a higher end precision rig. The run of the mill will all go bang and will last.

If you are being dropped into the desert where your life depends on the reliability of the rifle, or if you want one to approximate the accuracy of a higher end bolt gun for precision shooting then go with the Larue et al of the world.

Match the problem with the solution.

A LaRue will do everything a DPMS ORC can do, but the opposite isn’t true.

Very similar to 1911’s .  You can buy a Taurus or you can buy a Cabot. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

That’s like mentioning Korth in a discussion about Ruger wheelguns. 

Yeah - I watched a Korth with an extra 9mm cylinder go for over $8600 at auction earlier this month.  My wife said it better be able to cook for me and screw me b/c those things would be lacking in my life if I bid on it.

• Haha 1

Tried sporting clays today and man, that shit seems addictive. Much more fun than trap or skeet. I think I’m going to have dreams about it, seriously. 
Anyway I was shooting a Baretta A400 12ga and man, that is a fantastic gun. Virtually nonexistent recoil shooting 3” 1200FPS  #8 shot. Ended up putting probably 150 rounds through it and I feel like I spent the afternoon plinking cans with my old .22LR Remington. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Tried sporting clays today and man, that shit seems addictive. Much more fun than trap or skeet. I think I’m going to have dreams about it, seriously. 
Anyway I was shooting a Beretta A400 12ga and man, that is a fantastic gun. Virtually nonexistent recoil shooting 3” 1200FPS  #8 shot. Ended up putting probably 150 rounds through it and I feel like I spent the afternoon plinking cans with my old .22LR Remington. 

Everything about this post is awesome (except it's Beretta FIFY)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Welcome to the sickness.  You’ll have a P-gun in no time. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Anyway I was shooting a Baretta A400 12ga and man, that is a fantastic gun.

Probably makes up 50% of the arms I see each time I’m out shooting clays. They have quite a bit of aftermarket support in the sport, too. But then again the 390/391 were iconic clay shooting guns.  I want a 28ga 400 in a bad way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

If you are being dropped into the desert where your life depends on the reliability of the rifle, or if you want one to approximate the accuracy of a higher end bolt gun for precision shooting then go with the Larue et al of the world.

Or if the desert is being dropped on you.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/26/2020 at 7:24 PM, davidg said:

Some military rifles
M48 Mauser, K98 Mauser, H& R Garand, Sks, Remington 1917 Enfield in 30-06, Springfield 1903 in 30-06, Sporterized Remington 1903 in 30-06 with a 3x7 scope on swing away mount.  Should be a M1 carbine in there but it doesn’t seem to be around.

0894-AFCC-6629-4-E61-A1-FB-C545656-E45-E

Was back at dads this weekend and dug into a cabinet that I knew had ammo.  Found at least 1K of '63 Lake City M2 Ball for the  Garand and Springfield's.  I imagine this was bought in the early '90s as I think that's about when he bought the Garand.

IMG_8317.thumb.jpg.3d5799f4a216fa1e6ac7d0f4185c024b.jpg

Edited by davidg
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 12/13/2020 at 4:42 AM, Armybrat said:

This.

It is just a piece of metal or plastic that can be finished into a receiver which can be finished (with appropriate parts) into a complete AR15 without government permission or any paperwork. In other words, no record of it. Perfectly legal to do unless the ATF bureaucrats change their rules at the behest of their boss.

Americans have always had the right to personally construct their own firearms. Only in the late 20th century was that changed when the government added the caveat that such homemade guns could not be sold by the maker without a government license & transfer paperwork. At least that’s what I understand.

Mags are even easier.  Sheet metal and a spring.  We made them in shop class in MS and HS all the time.  Still have a few.  They are obviously heavier and less efficient than factory made, but the point about how simplistic they really are stands. 

You can trace back the evolution in firearms manufacturing to the early 1900's and see that very little has changed other than optics and construction material to make them lighter and easier to mass produce.  

9mm_pistol_magazine.jpg

On 12/13/2020 at 6:42 AM, Armybrat said:

This.

This is a imgur repost of a thread on a forum from a while back but I present The Shovel AK:

https://imgur.com/gallery/TspVw

w5q1313.thumb.jpeg.577d21bb1153ce8ad9c57616a1a17da9.jpeg

SEr3WKA.jpeg.3c1f124d0a4c0ef07d982bead0b2e263.jpeg

On 12/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Anyway I was shooting a Baretta A400 12ga and man, that is a fantastic gun. Virtually nonexistent recoil shooting 3” 1200FPS  #8 shot. Ended up putting probably 150 rounds through it and I feel like I spent the afternoon plinking cans with my old .22LR Remington. 

I will do sporting for fun with guests or at corporate outings and it's all I can get my kids to do at the gun club.

Don't forget that in addition to the expensive gun and all the fancy chokes you'll want to buy, you also need to buy ammo on a regular basis and rent a golf cart... until you decide that the basic golf carts aren't tricked out enough and don't have the right kind of gun rack and heater and tinted windows and performance tires so then you'll need to buy one of those, too.

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Haha 1

Still ridiculously expensive compared to the good ol' days of a year ago, but I'm starting to see more and more 9 mm available in large quantities and common weights. 
151429693_ScreenShot2020-12-15at05_38_52.png.a9079da6d15907bdc1c8a4eaceecacfb.png

https://www.laxammo.com/handgun/9mm-ammo/norma-9-mm-115-gr-fmj-1214-fps-detail

Agree. We’re starting to see more inventory online which is a good thing. Those price points, as you alluded to, are downright nasty. I can’t imagine paying $30/box for 9mm.

Natchez better hold on to their britches when it (if?) gets normal again. I’ve got them on speed dial for their $169.99/1000 box of blazer brass. I’ll probably build it into my monthly budget to order a box a month or every other month.

I wish I could set up a command for ITTT. “If you find 9mm brass ammo online for 16.9 cents per round ORDER”.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw this review on Yelp regarding McBride's. Cracked me up.

I went to McBride's today to make a purchase and support a local business. I am woman. I had a terrible experience shopping at McBride's and judging from previous reviews, I am not the first woman to experience sexism and discrimination in this store.

I was ignored by multiple employees when I asked questions about their products. I could not find anyone to give me the help I needed to make an informed purchase. When someone finally responded to me, they talked down to me in an obviously demeaning and degrading way.

To top it off, when I was checking out, a man put his hands on me. He inappropriately touched me, called me "little lady", and laughed as he walked off. No one at McBride's had any kind of reaction to this behavior. I became very uncomfortable and then quickly left the store.

Don't shop at McBride's. The pieces of shit at this store are clearly very sexist and have extreme neo-Nazi vibes. They should not be supported. Go to Red's instead.

31 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Saw this review on Yelp regarding McBride's. Cracked me up.

sexism

discrimination

demeaning

32 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

degrading

32 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

neo-Nazi

BINGO!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I will do sporting for fun with guests or at corporate outings and it's all I can get my kids to do at the gun club.

Don't forget that in addition to the expensive gun and all the fancy chokes you'll want to buy, you also need to buy ammo on a regular basis and rent a golf cart... until you decide that the basic golf carts aren't tricked out enough and don't have the right kind of gun rack and heater and tinted windows and performance tires so then you'll need to buy one of those, too.

Give a mouse a cookie, and he's gonna want a glass of milk to go with it

24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

All that was missing was bigot and racist for a full house.....jeez people.  Take a deep breath....

agree, but ... the people at McBride's can be real dicks.

A couple weeks ago I was in there and this black lady in her 20's was standing by the semi-auto handguns pretty obviously waiting to be helped while two employees yucked it up with a guy in his 50s close to the door. So I walk up to the counter by the revolvers to see if they've got a King Cobra and one of the guys breaks off with the other guy and walks past this woman over to me and says "Welcome, anything I can show you?". And I say something like "I think she was here first," so he turns to her and says "how can I help you?"

Nothing overt, but at the very least it was rude. I can't imagine somebody would do that at Red's.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Give a mouse a cookie, and he's gonna want a glass of milk to go with it

A couple weeks ago I was in there and this black lady in her 20's was standing by the semi-auto handguns pretty obviously waiting to be helped while two employees yucked it up with a guy in his 50s close to the door. So I walk up to the counter by the revolvers to see if they've got a King Cobra and one of the guys breaks off with the other guy and walks past this woman over to me and says "Welcome, anything I can show you?". And I say something like "I think she was here first," so he turns to her and says "how can I help you?"

Nothing overt, but at the very least it was rude. I can't imagine somebody would do that at Red's.

Yeah.  They have a very "car dealership" feel to them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t do McBride’s. Too many other good spots with better pricing and inventory.

• Hook 'Em 2

A8DA7E92-9E72-4BA2-993A-BE74C0692374.thumb.jpeg.40662940bb98e6e9711b5e0f1bc66fbc.jpeg
7E309562-DF7A-414B-B3B7-68920FAFF597.jpeg.93d7a59d4984948be2bda5df98e18477.jpeg

Pricing on the first ad is super interesting.

The guns today are 15x - 40x price wise.
The ammo (up until earlier this year) is 2x.

We have had it very very good for a long time in regards to ammo pricing. I don’t think it will go back to what it was. We might get close-ish....but not the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Pricing on the first ad is super interesting.

The guns today are 15x - 40x price wise.
The ammo (up until earlier this year) is 2x.

We have had it very very good for a long time in regards to ammo pricing. I don’t think it will go back to what it was. We might get close-ish....but not the same.

Actually it looks like 50 rounds of ammo would bring about 10% of the gun’s cost. So 10% of a new $600 pistol today would  equal $60 for a box of 50 (of whatever brand they were selling). 
Dayum!

Love those old ads! Neighbor highway patrolman gave me a stack of old Sports Afield, Outdoor Life, F&S, and American Rifleman in ‘61 or’62.  Taller than I was.  I memorized the damned things and probably spent a million fantasy bucks.  Still wish I had a Broomhandle to learn how to disassemble/reassemble and fondle.

I’ve been selling some guns as I have too many. But buying ones I like better.  Got rid of two Glocks and picked up another FN 5.7.  

Bought a new Springfield AR in a .308.  Bought my kids each new rock river 223 ARs.  They’re young but want them to have them in case they get banned.  Getting them cans too.  

Carrolls in Wharton has been getting a lot of my money.  They actually have ammo occasionally.  I’ve spent a couple grand on ammo the last two weeks.  

37 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve been selling some guns as I have too many. But buying ones I like better.  Got rid of two Glocks and picked up another FN 5.7.  

Bought a new Springfield AR in a .308.  Bought my kids each new rock river 223 ARs.  They’re young but want them to have them in case they get banned.  Getting them cans too.  

Carrolls in Wharton has been getting a lot of my money.  They actually have ammo occasionally.  I’ve spent a couple grand on ammo the last two weeks.  

Those new Springfield AR's a pretty. I need one.