The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Just now, Frank Drebin said:

The lower recoil is something to consider.  I have zero issue with a .380.  With the right ammo, it has plenty of stopping power.

I tried one with my wife and son for the first time.  It was so easy to use.  Springs are what sold me.  I could rack the slide with my finger and thumb if I'd wanted to.  That being said, for a SD option with a manual and grip safety, why would she ever need to work the slide in a high pressure setting?  Keep it chambered and ready to go.  Load it up with Hornady Critical Defense or something similar and she'll be fine.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Agree that she should shoot and try everything and pick what she likes. Beretta PX4 Storm models have an easy to rack slide (my wife has no trouble and struggled with pretty much everything else) as well as an adjustable back strap for finding a comfortable fit.

I would add that if she is getting a revolver, having a hammer and being able to pull that back (either at home or at the range for practice) is nicer than being stuck with one fairly heavy DAO trigger pull. Also, unless she needs something super tiny, a medium frame revolver may have less muzzle rise and perceived recoil for a more enjoyable shooting experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Y'all remember that pistol brace bullshit the ATF tried to pull a while back? It's dead. Unless you registered your gun in that timeframe, then it is now considered an SBR and you're screwed.

Definitely good news, but the order is a preliminary injunction. So, I wouldn’t says it’s dead yet  

• Hook 'Em 2

Ya'll have probably heard about Larry Vickers pleading guilty to violating NFA laws.  I really have no sympathy for him.  Dumbass did a lot more than push an envelope here.  He fucked around and is gonna find out with some time in the can.  I often wondered where he got his automatic weapons for some of his YouTube videos.  Makes me wonder how the Demolition Ranch guy obtained the MP7 that he has been flaunting on YouTube recently.  Is he next? 

https://www.justice.gov/usao-md/pr/north-carolina-and-north-dakota-police-chiefs-and-federal-firearms-licensees-indicted

Ya'll have probably heard about Larry Vickers pleading guilty to violating NFA laws.  I really have no sympathy for him.  Dumbass did a lot more than push an envelope here.  He fucked around and is gonna find out with some time in the can.  I often wondered where he got his automatic weapons for some of his YouTube videos.  Makes me wonder how the Demolition Ranch guy obtained the MP7 that he has been flaunting on YouTube recently.  Is he next? 
https://www.justice.gov/usao-md/pr/north-carolina-and-north-dakota-police-chiefs-and-federal-firearms-licensees-indicted
Ha, I just saw that that he has a new video with LEOs shooting his mp7. Figuring this was a quick CYA move?

On 11/10/2023 at 11:31 AM, cabowabo said:

Probably how a lot of those online guy full-auto options.  BRCC had a backpack fed mini-gun ala Ventura in Predator.  You can still file for a Class 3 license unless something changed I missed?  They just take forever to get and cost a small fortune.  

Or it's someone else's.  I've fired a few in my time, none belonged to me.  

Edited by BabaYaga

On 11/9/2023 at 6:40 PM, topochico said:

Agree that she should shoot and try everything and pick what she likes. Beretta PX4 Storm models have an easy to rack slide (my wife has no trouble and struggled with pretty much everything else) as well as an adjustable back strap for finding a comfortable fit.

I would add that if she is getting a revolver, having a hammer and being able to pull that back (either at home or at the range for practice) is nicer than being stuck with one fairly heavy DAO trigger pull. Also, unless she needs something super tiny, a medium frame revolver may have less muzzle rise and perceived recoil for a more enjoyable shooting experience. 

My dad has a px4. I wonder why those didn't take off. But you're the only other person I've heard of who's had one that isn't a youtuber (assuming you're not a youtuber, lol).

Thx all for the can advice - Ended up pulling the trigger on a Sandman K and L yesterday through Silencer Shop / Range at Austin. Fingerprinting was a giant PITA but eventually worked, so now I’m just sitting/waiting like the rest of you.

giphy.gif

Sandman line are tanks.

My K is good for taking the edge off any platform, keep it on my home defense 300blk shorty running subs.

My S is my hunting can.

I have E-Brakes on both of them.

I’d suggest getting ebrakes for both, they really do make a difference in flash, gas and first round pop
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Thx all for the can advice - Ended up pulling the trigger on a Sandman K and L yesterday through Silencer Shop / Range at Austin. Fingerprinting was a giant PITA but eventually worked, so now I’m just sitting/waiting like the rest of you.

Is that the shop at 183 & Lake Creek Parkway?

Here’s a good read about Elmer Keith:

http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/Keithbiotaffin.html

Dead air has massive QC issues right now. Buyer beware.

The Sierra5 is borked, DA took a “shoot it till it fails and we’ll fix it”. Except a good amount of them had baffle strikes and now they are wayyy behind. The sandman lines aren’t really in the same place as the sierra5(and Mojave I’m guessing if they haven’t fixed their lack of QC on those can designs)

Sico just had the same issue and they went the path of doing a massive recall.

It’s funny to see the same quality control issue handled completely opposite because of Reddit
  • Like 1

The Sierra5 is borked, DA took a “shoot it till it fails and we’ll fix it”. Except a good amount of them had baffle strikes and now they are wayyy behind. The sandman lines aren’t really in the same place as the sierra5(and Mojave I’m guessing if they haven’t fixed their lack of QC on those can designs)

Sico just had the same issue and they went the path of doing a massive recall.

It’s funny to see the same quality control issue handled completely opposite because of Reddit

The upstarts finding a home on Reddit sound pretty great. Will likely opt for Otter Creek or a HUXWRX for my next, especially with those fancy inners they have going.

The upstarts finding a home on Reddit sound pretty great. Will likely opt for Otter Creek or a HUXWRX for my next, especially with those fancy inners they have going.

So Huxwrx is just OSS rebranded right? Since the FBI awarded them the HRT contract, we get them at a LEO discount now. Damn they are still expensive tho.

But Otter Creek Labs, has my interest. Im waiting for him to drop a true can that can handle 8.6blk rounds subs and supers. I know his Lithium can handle 8.6blk subs with a 12” min barrel but since I caved and SBR-braced my 12” .308 AR10, I’m gonna want my 8.6blk upper to be 10”…
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

If I didn't already have a .257 Wby Mag bolt action I'd have re-barrel'd the #1. 

I’ve always been a .30 > 7 guy, for whatever reason (it’s really just a Ford/Chevy imo) but I’ve never met anyone who’s not a .257 wby guy.  I keep saying I’m going to put mine away for a year and work out one of a handful of others, but every year, I just pick it up and send lasers at them.  

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 8:13 PM, RMac5 said:

Yep the 257 is a laser beam of death.

‘Would love to have a #1 in 25-06 or 7mm-08.

Two GREAT calibers that are often overlooked.  With handloads you can get the 25-06 awful close to the 257W and the 7-08 outperforms the venerable 6.5CM under 500yds (which we all shoot under unless competing).  

It's moot with the #1, but between those two it really comes down to wanting either a long or short action.