The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

17 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I also am looking at a new pistol for carrying.  What I have now is either too big or too small.  I want a true small carry 9mm.  Thinking about the Sig P365XL.  

That's what I carry daily.  I'm some what of a Sig fanboy, as I also have their 1911 and P220.  It's a great little option.  It's had hundreds of rounds through it and zero feeding/ejection issues of any kind.  I don' have the Romeo red dot mounted, so that is something I might get later.  Mine still have the factory sights which I'm fine with.  

For me, it came down to a 3-way race between the Hellcat, Sig, and 43x.  I replaced my old Shield with the Sig because of the larger mag capacity.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Budget?

What do you carry now

Budget is probably $1k.  Not really worried about that.

I have a small Ruger pocket pistol that has a 5 round magazine I will carry on occasion. Usually if I am jogging late at night or early in morning.  Or running errands/wearing athletic shorts.  I will continue to use it for that.

I keep a FN 5.7 in my truck console safe.  But it is too big to EDC.  I have several other pistols, including a Glock 40 cal and a Sig .45 that I absolutely love (but it is way too big to carry comfortably).  I also have several revolvers.  But I never use them and they are too bulky.

I want something that I will carry on me routinely -- I wear a coat to the office M to F and to church on Sunday -- that is bigger than my little pocket pistol I jog with but smaller than my other pistols.

I went to Collectors last night.  And the Academy right next to it.  I really liked the Sig P365 XL and the Hellcat.  I am leaning Sig because I love my other Sig.

I have had a carry permit since I turned 21.  I have never carried much -- other than keeping one in my truck safe.  But I am starting to feel the need to carry more often as I live inside the loop Houston and there has been more riff raff now than I have noticed in my 20 years of living inside the city.  I think I am going to start making it a habit.

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Budget is probably $1k.  Not really worried about that.
I have a small Ruger pocket pistol that has a 5 round magazine I will carry on occasion. Usually if I am jogging late at night or early in morning.  Or running errands/wearing athletic shorts.  I will continue to use it for that.
I keep a FN 5.7 in my truck console safe.  But it is too big to EDC.  I have several other pistols, including a Glock 40 cal and a Sig .45 that I absolutely love (but it is way too big to carry comfortably).  I also have several revolvers.  But I never use them and they are too bulky.
I want something that I will carry on me routinely -- I wear a coat to the office M to F and to church on Sunday -- that is bigger than my little pocket pistol I jog with but smaller than my other pistols.
I went to Collectors last night.  And the Academy right next to it.  I really liked the Sig P365 XL and the Hellcat.  I am leaning Sig because I love my other Sig.
I have had a carry permit since I turned 21.  I have never carried much -- other than keeping one in my truck safe.  But I am starting to feel the need to carry more often as I live inside the loop Houston and there has been more riff raff now than I have noticed in my 20 years of living inside the city.  I think I am going to start making it a habit.

Got it.

For AR Ruger SFAR are nice rigs - the lightest out there. You. A build an aero M5 for ~1200ish which is what I would do at that budget. Primary weapons systems at $1900 would be my option if you can spend a little more.

I dislike 365’s. They’re great guns and hyper reliable I just don’t like them. I prefer the hellcat in that scenario. Hellcat pro might be an option as it’s the same size as the 365xl

Masada slim are great - newer gun but very good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Got it.

For AR Ruger SFAR are nice rigs - the lightest out there. You. A build an aero M5 for ~1200ish which is what I would do at that budget. Primary weapons systems at $1900 would be my option if you can spend a little more.

I dislike 365’s. They’re great guns and hyper reliable I just don’t like them. I prefer the hellcat in that scenario. Hellcat pro might be an option as it’s the same size as the 365xl

Masada slim are great - newer gun but very good.

My bad.  I thought you were asking budget on pistol.  

For the AR, up to $2k without optics.  I would prefer to be in $1500 range.

I held the Ruger SFAR last night.  It was pretty awesome feeling.  I may just go with that.  Thanks so much for all the info.

• Hook 'Em 1

I held the Ruger SFAR last night.  It was pretty awesome feeling.  I may just go with that.  Thanks so much for all the info.

If you can handle the extra $ - PWS would be worth every penny. They’re fantastic.

Ruger should be $1099 or less fyi.

42 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I think I'm about to pick up a SFAR tomorrow, but I haven't even seen one yet. I just like the concept. What did you like about it?

Anyone have success using WikiArms to purchase guns? The SA Waypoint I mentioned above is about $2400 at Bass Pro and $2500 at GunsWarehouse. Using WikiArms, found a few places that are selling for about $1800 +/-. Same model

Gunbroker only.

Online gun sales outside of a few vendors is risky business man!

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

It was light and felt good to handle.  Has good reviews. I just bought one.  Price in link Armbrat posted was best deal I could find.

I've got one lined up with a private seller. Already set up with a scope and no shipping, tax or transfer fees. And no paperwork. There are still a couple of private gun trading groups left that started after FB banned firearm sales. I went on one the other day and the 1st item listed was a SFAR for a fair price.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gaston Glock, hated enemy of John Moses Browning, has passed away.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67831335

Gaston Glock, the Austrian engineer who invented the Glock handgun, has died aged 94.

The Glock company said in a statement that its founder's life's work would "continue in his spirit".

The weapon has been used by armed forces, security personnel, gun owners and criminals around the world.

Its rise was cemented by American pop culture and appearances in Hollywood blockbusters including science-fiction action film The Matrix Reloaded.

Despite the popularity of his creation, Glock has been described as a reclusive billionaire who spent most of his time at a lakefront estate in Austria.

I had the same question as ChickenNuggets so while you are waiting for his ad I have a couple of guns for sale, laser sights

and a shitton of ammunition for sale, 9mm, 5.56 and .22 cal. PM for the full list. Let me know if you are interested in any of this. I am located

in Cedar Park/North Austin area. Prices are negotiable.

Glock 42  380Auto, 3 magazines                            -- $450

DSCN1386.JPG

Daniel Defense M4A1 Semi-Auto rifle, 5.56  NIB            -- $2100

DSCN1387.JPG

Edited by WithoutAClue
  • Drool 1

I had the same question as ChickenNuggets so while you are waiting for his ad I have a couple of guns for sale, laser sights
and a shitton of ammunition for sale, 9mm, 5.56 and .22 cal. PM for the full list. Let me know if you are interested in any of this. I am located
in Cedar Park/North Austin area. Prices are negotiable.

Glock 42  380Auto, 3 magazines                            -- $450

DSCN1386.thumb.JPG.66f4589ad81d112346cdcb36b7dac4e7.JPG
Daniel Defense M4A1 Semi-Auto rifle, 5.56  NIB            -- $2100
DSCN1387.thumb.JPG.67e65d89b1bc43feb650736ccee5ba58.JPG

Damn. Those are retail prices lol

[mention=903]Fat Bastard[/mention] You know your son but a .308 is more punch than most 10 year olds can handle and may push him to either not want to shoot because it hurts too much or suffer through it and develop a flinch as he squeezes the trigger.  

Unless that gun is heavy as hell or has a good brake/suppressor on it, that’s probably what happens.

So there’s a troublesome rogue coyote in my neighborhood and it has killed a lot of cats. 
Let’s say, purely conjecture, that someone was to set up a one-shot kill from 75 yards on the SOB. What would be the best and most ethical round to attempt such a thing in a dense urban environment? 

Assume pre-dawn timing. Looking for pros/cons of:

.22lr suppressed 

.17HMR suppressed

5.7X28 carbine surpressed 

.223 Rem

imperatives include:

1) quick, ethical kill

2) avoiding a disturbance 

To be clear, this is a purely speculative scenario 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

So there’s a troublesome rogue coyote in my neighborhood and it has killed a lot of cats. 
Let’s say, purely conjecture, that someone was to set up a one-shot kill from 75 yards on the SOB. What would be the best and most ethical round to attempt such a thing in a dense urban environment? 
.22lr suppressed 
.17HMR suppressed
.223 Rem
imperatives include:
1) quick, ethical kill

Not 22
17 is pushing it
5.7 ok
223 no
22 mag would be my choice here

I know this sounds shitty but you don’t necessarily want it to die right there. Let it wander off and die unseen.

All of these suppressed. Obviously.

*it is illegal to shoot firearms in the city limits.

Just thought I’d put that out there.

8 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Not 22
17 is pushing it
5.7 ok
223 no
22 mag would be my choice here

I know this sounds shitty but you don’t necessarily want it to die right there. Let it wander off and die unseen.

All of these suppressed. Obviously.

*it is illegal to shoot firearms in the city limits.

Just thought I’d put that out there.

- you’re right about it wandering off, but I don’t feel good about it. Ideally a lung shot kills in minutes, not hours

5.7 is a great round but I don’t love the firearm with this option. 

- I thought .17HMR had better terminal performance than .22mag inside 200yds. No?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

- you’re right about it wandering off, but I don’t feel good about it. Ideally a lung shot kills in minutes, not hours
5.7 is a great round but I don’t love the firearm with this option. 
- I thought .17HMR had better terminal performance than .22mag inside 200yds. No?

22 mag has more energy.
17 is more accurate out past 100

If under 100, im taking the energy.

Either would “work”.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

.22lr suppressed 

.17HMR suppressed

.223 Rem

imperatives include:

1) quick, ethical kill

Ask Rick Perry

Edited by TexasEd
  • Haha 2