Friday Night Lights-the series

closetohumping

For those interested, Derek Phillips and Stacey Oristano, who played Billy Riggings and Mindy Collette Riggins respectively, have a podcast that goes through the series episode by episode.  It touches a great deal on behind the scenes stuff, working with each other, the audition process and more.  They also have special guests.  Brad Leland has already been a guest, as has the actor who played Smash Williams.  It's a good listen if you're a fan of the show.  https://link.chtbl.com/CEFHPOD

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dad PCS’d from Incirlik to Sheppard in 96, and I got sent to Burkburnett for the last two years of HS.  So here I go from living abroad as a USAF brat, having lived in a dozen different houses by the time I was 16, to an absolutely little podunk ex-boomtown where the popular track is to get married at 18, have kids who go to the same HS and themselves get married.  

I had been in band since like 5th grade, and thus joined the Burk marching band.  Dad was never a sports guy, I ended up having to buy a damn book on how football works so I could follow the games…which we basically lost every time.  So imagine going from zero football knowledge to traveling around N Texas in old ass school busses to places like Denton, Decatur, Iowa Park, etc where football is all they got. 

I hated high school.  I didn’t fit in, most of the people I knew had never left the state, and had known each other since they were born.  There were cliques within cliques that I’d never know and couldn’t wait to get out of there.  My 10yr was the only reunion I went to, wherein most already had kids that were in school and I’d just spent the years prior traveling to India, Philippines, El Sal, etc while building a career in Austin.  

The only part I look fondly back on was Friday nights, doing our shows at halftime and observing the pageantry of it all.  I think that’s why this show hits me so hard…not because I lived the HS drama portrayed, but because I was able to observe it as an outsider and even as a teenager I knew it was a unique experience to play a part in the epic that is small town HS football in Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

Dad PCS’d from Incirlik to Sheppard in 96, and I got sent to Burkburnett for the last two years of HS.  So here I go from living abroad as a USAF brat, having lived in a dozen different houses by the time I was 16, to an absolutely little podunk ex-boomtown where the popular track is to get married at 18, have kids who go to the same HS and themselves get married.  

I had been in band since like 5th grade, and thus joined the Burk marching band.  Dad was never a sports guy, I ended up having to buy a damn book on how football works so I could follow the games…which we basically lost every time.  So imagine going from zero football knowledge to traveling around N Texas in old ass school busses to places like Denton, Decatur, Iowa Park, etc where football is all they got. 

I hated high school.  I didn’t fit in, most of the people I knew had never left the state, and had known each other since they were born.  There were cliques within cliques that I’d never know and couldn’t wait to get out of there.  My 10yr was the only reunion I went to, wherein most already had kids that were in school and I’d just spent the years prior traveling to India, Philippines, El Sal, etc while building a career in Austin.  

The only part I look fondly back on was Friday nights, doing our shows at halftime and observing the pageantry of it all.  I think that’s why this show hits me so hard…not because I lived the HS drama portrayed, but because I was able to observe it as an outsider and even as a teenager I knew it was a unique experience to play a part in the epic that is small town HS football in Texas.  

This post needs a soundtrack.  Something simple, plaintive...

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

y’all are both right and wrong. Born in Buffalo, lived in Illinois until he was 11 then moved to Georgia. 

I wasn't wrong.  Perfectly aware he was born in Buffalo and lived in Illinois.  Growing up in Georgia is where he picked up the accent and that is what I was speaking to.

My wife and I worked as extras in season 2 and 3 and really enjoyed the experience.

Got to meet all of the cast and chat with them regularly. They were all great people and treated all of the extras like we were a very important part of the show.

Side note....Minka Kelly is more beautiful in person than she is on television and a real sweetheart.

They were all great people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:58 PM, TonyTexas said:

He’s had a surprisingly good career. He’s had major supporting roles in 3 terrific TV shows( FNL, Fargo, Breaking Bad) as well as several highly regarded films. 

Herc is also in breaking bad. He and Landry are part of Uncle Jack's crew.

In the first episode, they're getting ready for the first game of the season.... and it's cold outside.   I had a problem with that. I looked past it-mainly because the next week it was more like actual early season Texas high school football weather. Hot AF.  The football scenes are obviously punched up to keep the women fans of the show interested. Every game is drama filled nonsense.  Your star D1 quality, Notre Dame recruited QB getting crippled the first game of the season would be a huge story not just locally, but nationally. Again..I looked past all of that. Love the show.  They completely nail the rebellious pain in the ass teenage daughter perfectly, I knew several Riggins' in my life. Matt Saracen as a QB was a stretch.  But Coach, Buddy and Landry are great.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:22 AM, Homercles said:

I was at Sheppard 95-98 and played high school football in Texas from 84-87 so this hits very close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1

Met a girl named Minka the other day which made me think of FNL. Great series.

Some random factoids:

Per Minka Kelly's imbd page she's going to be in a couple episodes of Euphoria (hbo series) next year.

The dump of a house Tim shared with his brother, east of 35 and south of 290 (University Hills neighborhood), is now worth $628k per zillow. https://www.zillow.com/homes/2604-Lehigh-Dr-Austin,-TX-78723_rb/29408437_zpid/

Coach's house is estimated at $596k https://www.zillow.com/homes/6805-De-Paul-Cv-Austin,-TX-78723_rb/29408457_zpid/

Thinking about that series brings back so many great memories of when Austin was much more of a small, charming city.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Some random factoids:

Per Minka Kelly's imbd page she's going to be in a couple episodes of Euphoria (hbo series) next year.

The dump of a house Tim shared with his brother, east of 35 and south of 290 (University Hills neighborhood), is now worth $628k per zillow. https://www.zillow.com/homes/2604-Lehigh-Dr-Austin,-TX-78723_rb/29408437_zpid/

Coach's house is estimated at $596k https://www.zillow.com/homes/6805-De-Paul-Cv-Austin,-TX-78723_rb/29408457_zpid/

Thinking about that series brings back so many great memories of when Austin was much more of a small, charming city.

Fingers crossed on Minka nudity. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Chopper said:

Some random factoids:

Austin real estate is awful right now.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Watching the show now makes me miss EZ's. I would hit it pretty hard Thursday - Saturday. Sunday evening was time to get my life back together. EZ's rosemary chicken with vegetables. 

The BBQ chicken pizza is also an all timer. 

Not sure why that place closed.  Always busy when I was there