Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

So agree then, no? Halo good. Very, very good. No halo bad. Boo no halo. Long live halo.

I think it's a good thing. Almost certainly would have saved Surtees, too. Maybe Dan Wheldon and Justin Wilson, and who knows how many others. Probably saved one of those women at Spa last year, too.

6 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

The halo, even though it wouldn't have saved him, always gets me thinking about Bianchi. I can't believe it's almost been 8 years since the incident and 7 since he died. His legacy is the VSC which has worked to do more than just save the drivers from themselves. RIP and Forza Jules. 

Really?  8 years since Bianchi's incident?  Wow.

5 hours ago, wood said:

I think it's a good thing. Almost certainly would have saved Surtees, too. Maybe Dan Wheldon and Justin Wilson, and who knows how many others. Probably saved one of those women at Spa last year, too.

With the other modern equipment we’d still have Senna. 

3 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Expected news.
I know it varies widely but in general, what are these races worth to each country/locale/venue?

The Monaco, Canadian, Australian, and Singapore GP organizers say they are worth about $70-100M in annual economic impact. Mexico City, with massive crowds every year, puts it at $300M+. COTA, which is generally not as well attended as those GPs, says the USGP is worth $700M annually. So yeah, there are huge discrepancies in the estimates. 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

of course Haas fucks it up and doesn't take the opportunity to get a better driver...nobody cuts costs more than Haas!

Honestly, does it matter? Hamilton or Verstappen wouldn't have won in their car last year. Unless they just nailed the new regs, it's not like a great expensive driver would make a difference.

29 minutes ago, NoName said:

of course Haas fucks it up and doesn't take the opportunity to get a better driver...nobody cuts costs more than Haas!

If Mazepin is out, and Uralkali is no longer sponsoring the team, where do expect Haas to get the money to pay for a better driver?

I never stopped to consider that, if he hadn’t bought it at Hockenheim or somewhere else, there is a decent chance he would still be around. He would have been 86 today and probably would have collected at least a couple more championships. For my money, the best to ever do it.

ETA: this is about Jim Clark

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I never stopped to consider that, if he hadn’t bought it at Hockenheim or somewhere else, there is a decent chance he would still be around. He would have been 86 today and probably would have collected at least a couple more championships. For my money, the best to ever do it.

Jimmy Clark? Yeah, definitely one of the goats.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Until you mentioned the age and Hockenheim I thought you were referring to my post about Senna.

So not an F1 historian... anything like that before? A guy comes in, races one season, ends up last and never races again? 

I assume there has to be something like that before.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Can't they just fire him for being a god-awful driver? It feels uncouth to terminate him because he's Russian.

He's not fired because he's Russian.  The sponsor is Russian, and more importantly a Russian oligarch with ties to Putin.  Haas doesn't want to be associated with a Russian oligarch (now that there's a war going on...last year was fine), so they've cut ties with the sponsor.  The driver is there because of the sponsor.  If there's no sponsorship, there's no reason to keep the driver.  

It will be especially interesting to see what happens with Haas going forward.  This will be their 6th year in F1, and they've only had outside money for what...1+ of those?  They are the closest thing to a privateer team in the most expensive motorsport.

• Hook 'Em 4

Stefano throws a little shade at DTS

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/domenicali-drive-to-survive-has-to-add-value-for-f1-to-continue/8688545/

Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali says that the Netflix series Drive to Survive will have to continue to add value to the sport in order to be extended into future years.

Netflix should throw some sponsorship money at HAAS. Bring some value. 

10 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So not an F1 historian... anything like that before? A guy comes in, races one season, ends up last and never races again? 

He’s almost definitely going to race in F1 again. Anyone who has a SL and whose dad’s willing to shell out $30M per year will get a seat. 

10 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Champ car driver Mario Dominguez had an F1 career of precisely 1 lap in testing in the Jordan F1 car.

Luiz Razia was a Brazilian driver that got a set with Marussia, went through one preseason test and then lost the seat due to sponsorship problems, very similar to Haas right now.

In 1973 a guy named Graham McRae had his car crap out in the opening lap of his one and only F1 race.

It can be a cruel sport, and if you don't bring money or results you don't last long.

Edited by Hawndoh

13 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Can't they just fire him for being a god-awful driver? It feels uncouth to terminate him because he's Russian.

They aren't terminating him because he's Russian. At least not directly. They're terminating him because he's only there because of Uralkali money, and that went bye-bye when Putin fucked Ukraine. Without that money, there is ZERO reason for Haas to keep Mazespin. 

• Like 3

On 3/2/2022 at 10:37 PM, utee94 said:

Really?  8 years since Bianchi's incident?  Wow.

being old sux.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:55 PM, ConferenceRoom said:

Halo definitely very, very good. I don't ever want to mourn another driver again.

yeap, and all the fingerbiting and whinging about how "ugly" the halo was... was such a dumb response

13 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Some dude saw Lewis’ old Zonda just chillin outside in the north of England.

86e8644aeca99585e0237fef8a027e07.jpg

Very important to preserve the anonymity of a publicly-exposed license plate of hypercar that exists as 1 of 1

Yn93P1qBpQFqHGxQEq1z3Z271_O4gMG1fiIgTkF7

The-Matrix-Reloaded-Twins.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 3

Haas' NASCAR sponsors wanted Mazepin out.

Haas confirmed pressure from his NASCAR team sponsors in making the decision to cut ties with Mazepin, his family and the connection to Russia following its invasion of Ukraine. He also said it is a financial hit but there was no real scenario to keep Mazepin.

“There was a lot of pressure from sponsors as far as the negativity of having a Russian sponsor and driver, so hopefully, it diffuses all of that, you know, politics. We are here to race cars not get involved in the politics but unfortunately, there was a lot of pressure. A lot of our sponsors on the Cup side weren’t real happy about having a Russian anywhere. There’s just a lot of feelings, heartfelt feelings, about what is going on.”

https://kickinthetires.net/nascar/gene-haas-lays-out-decision-on-cutting-russian-nikita-mazepin-from-haas-f1-replacement-options-and-outside-pressures/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2022 at 1:22 PM, Hawndoh said:

Yep, they have lost a huge chunk of their budget. They can't go spending anything on a driver.

Unless of course they just want to skip to the end where they sell to Andretti and Herta drives the car.

I had been of the mindset that his father would eventually buy the team and that would secure the kid's seat, until he destroyed all the cars.

But now, I'd be all on board with Andretti buying the team and giving it a go.

Interesting times these.

Between the suckdom that is Omicron, war, inflation, and family stuff, I could really, really use a race weekend to just take a break for a couple of hours.

34 minutes ago, Mittens said:

26 minutes ago, wood said:

Karma. Fuck Gene Haas.

Yeah. It’s getting ridiculous. Way too many people calling Haas unlucky. Pimping your team out to the highest bidders no matter how shitty or unreliable, like Story and Mazepin, is just bad business, not bad luck. 

And like others have said, Haas has so much potential as an American team, especially if they could’ve gotten an Americana driver and then parlayed that into some big American sponsors. Instead, he took the quick cash by selling out to the Russians and threw away the most marketable aspect of his team in the process. If Haas would quit trying to cut corners and be a cheap ass, he could’ve had a massive value proposition on his hands. 

• Hook 'Em 3