Denver wildfires

bolverk

Just got a call from my mom who's catching a ride home from the Midland airport to her small West Texas town. She's coming back from a trip where she visited my sister and her family up in Denver. Anyway, my mom was telling me that there's a big wildfire that has forced my niece to evacuate from her new apartment and is at-the-moment helping to evacuate the hospital where she works.

So far, they estimate 500 homes have been destroyed and 30,000 have been evacuated. The wildfires look to be centered around Superior, which is a suburb between Denver and Boulder.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/grass-fires-spark-in-boulder-county-as-high-winds-pick-up/

I know we've got a few of you guys in the Denver area. Hope y'all are staying safe and don't lose any of your shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

They’re reporting 580 homes burned on the local news. Asking everyone to stay off roads. And also get the fuck out. Not sure how those both work together.

Literally get out with the clothes on your back and stay out until we tell you to come back. People staying and going about their daily lives is what makes things like this much more difficult for emergency crews. And then there’s the looky-Lou’s that come out just to see the fire. No shit, they don’t have any reason to be out that way but they’re there to see it and getting in the way.

Edited by Herbie Hancock
  • Like 1

It’s going to be a long night in Boulder County. 

Denver had some strong winds, but nothing like Boulder. From NCAR in Boulder, the winds were nasty:

F91BA1D0-DCFB-40B2-B281-C188F1E4DE97.thumb.jpeg.16a142ae24c8681fb1e5dadb0cbabd65.jpeg

The winds knocked down powerlines and the winds spread the fires. Nasty.

A lot of lost homes. No deaths reported yet. Hospitals in the affected area are evacuating patients to Denver.

Tragically, the winds that spread the fire herald an incoming snow storm, which will bring calmer condition and moisture. Snow is expected by 10 am (Central time) in the affected areas. Fingers crossed that puts out the fires. 

Boulder County has wonderful public and private services for those in need - thank goodness. The people of Boulder County love to help those in need. 

Pray for snow. 

• Like 2

I bought a shaver at the Target that burned down in Superior this summer, so this hits close to home.

Daughter is in her house in Arvada, says the next neighborhood over got a prepare-to-evac notice.  She's only there right now because the wife and I tested positive for Covid Tuesday, so as soon as daughter's negative test came back, she headed to the airport and flew back to DIA.  Hasn't been the greatest Christmas break so far.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

My brother lives in Arvada, and also has a rental property in Golden.    He is not panicking, but he did say the wind gusts are the big concern, they cant get any aircraft in the air to fight the fires right now.

basically hes OK but he's got an ear to the ground. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

30 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I heard on NPR gusts were up to 110 mph. Jesus.

150 mph gust at Rocky Flats (just west of the fires).  Rocky Flats/Highway 93 is known for it winds, but that is nuts. 

@Beau Vineand @bolverk - Your loved ones are in my and my family’s prayers. Stay safe. It’s been a long year for Boulder County with the grocery store mass murder incident last March. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

JFC, feel for those folks.  I have two colleagues that live in the area and both have evacuated their families. 

Yeah, I woke up to texts/emails from my Denver staff on their status. Couple evacuations, most on the edge of the zones so far. Stressful and depressing. 

I live in the foothills in North Boulder and it has certainly been pretty hairy here.  In the fifty years the family has lived here, the place has certainly lived up to the “Peoples Republic of Boulder” tag, especially times like this.  Love is strong.

It just so happens the Boulder Mountain Fire Protection District is currently doing a major fund raise.  So now that we have got the oline and ends covered financially, if you can spare a few shekels, please consider this amazing organization.

https://www.bmfpd.org/donations

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I drove past a couple overturned semis yesterday. Never drove in wind like that before.

same here, coming home a couple weeks ago. CoSprings to Capulin, 18-wheelers just tossed everywhere, at least a dozen. can't imagine a fire in that wind! 😳

20211215_121515.jpg

20211215_120837.jpg

15 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s insane to think that each one of those little smudge marks of ash is what used to be a $1 million home.  Find Denver7 on Facebook, they’ve got some incredible videos and photos. Hopefully the snow continues 

The forecast amount keeps going up. Thankfully 

They've narrowed down the search for the source of the fire and seems that it may have started at a shed on some ramshackle cult compound and the winds took it from there.

Discussion of the Twelve Tribes property emerged on social media on Thursday, around the time the Marshall fire began spreading, when video of a structure on fire there started circulating. By Sunday, officials confirmed that the fire began on private property at the Boulder County intersection of Marshall Road and Highway 93, which is owned by Twelve Tribes. Sheriff Pelle confirmed on Monday that investigators were examining the site in addition to adjacent areas.

Several witnesses who live nearby said they had alerted the authorities about the fire at the site before hurricane-force winds spread flames around Boulder County. Anne Michaels, a kindergarten teacher who lives in the area, said she was driving by the property on Thursday while talking to her mother on her mobile phone when she noticed something was wrong.

“I said, ‘Mom, I see smoke,’” said Ms. Michaels, 43, adding that the smoke was clearly coming from the Twelve Tribes property. She said she called 911 shortly afterward to alert the authorities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/03/us/twelve-tribes-12-colorado-fire.html

The religious group now under scrutiny, which idolizes sons, requires community input before people can copulate, and describes itself as an “emerging spiritual nation.” It dates back to the 1970s when it began in coffee shops in Tennessee. There are also offshoots in Europe, Australia, and South America. Each “tribe” is self-governing but adheres to similar tenets that line up with conservative ideology. Men wear long hair and beards and women’s attire is closely guarded. Of the two tribes in Colorado, one runs the popular Yellow Deli in Boulder—named after the original coffee shop where the sect began—and the other is where the burning shed is located.

“We are a confederation of twelve self-governing tribes, made up of self-governing communities,” the group’s website states. “By community, we mean families and single people who live together in homes and on farms. We are disciples of the Son of God, whom we call by His Hebrew name Yahshua.”

The sect has historical roots in racism and homophobia, and has been investigated for its treatment of children, according to local news reports. Members are not allowed to be employed independently but work on communal farms which provide food for the families who live together.

In 2018, the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Intelligence Report warned the sect was potentially dangerous. “Beneath the surface lies a tangle of doctrine that teaches its followers that slavery was ‘a marvelous opportunity’ for Black people, who are deemed by the Bible to be servants of whites, and that homosexuals deserve no less than death,” the group wrote in a report. “While homosexuals are shunned by the Twelve Tribes (though ex-members say the group brags about unnamed members who are “formerly” gay), the group actively proselytizes to African Americans, yet one of its Black leaders glorifies the early Ku Klux Klan.”

The report also said the sect tried to “keep its extremist teachings on race from novice members and outsiders,” though interviews with former members who escaped say the teachings were disturbing “especially for Black members, who must reconcile the appalling teachings on race with their own heritage and skin colour.”

Those debates must be a hoot. 

On 12/31/2021 at 3:03 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s insane to think that each one of those little smudge marks of ash is what used to be a $1 million home.  Find Denver7 on Facebook, they’ve got some incredible videos and photos. Hopefully the snow continues 

So unfathomable that I didn't think those were homes.  Sad man.