USMNT 2022

Napoleon

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wait.  We've had de la Torre this whole time, and Roldan, Lletget, and Nipple were considered better options?

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

1308.jpg?fallback=png

Well ... you see ... I was seeing these guys up close ... annnnnnnnd....

Greg said something to the effect of:

”LDLT doesn’t play direct enough. He needs to be more dangerous and/or decisive when he’s on the ball.”

Something like that.

Looking at LDLT’s play compared to the shit we saw against Canada…

…kind of leaves you thinking that Gregg is a dumbass.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

So are the Lexi Lalais of the world going to suck Gerg off and try to pretend that he was playing 4D chess all along?  We beat the worst team in the hex after they were mathematically eliminated in a fucking icebox. We will probably look like complete shit in our next road game and either lose or eek out a second half win. 

39 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Greg said something to the effect of:

”LDLT doesn’t play direct enough. He needs to be more dangerous and/or decisive when he’s on the ball.”

Something like that.

Looking at LDLT’s play compared to the shit we saw against Canada…

…kind of leaves you thinking that Gregg is a dumbass.

image.png.b7c5ce35f360eaa56a22399a20a1688d.png   image.png.60ce4581f0522d5837d1d231beea7dfa.png

image.thumb.png.f9a9071b1da54b36ec52f9bd781d159f.png

Not direct enough!?!?!?  Lletget's first thought is always pass backwards!!! Honestly, if he was 1 on 1 with an open goal, I'm pretty sure he would slow up play and wait for his teammates.

El Tri got the win over Panama on a soft penalty pretty much means if we can win 1 of our next 2 at Azteca or at home vs Panama we are in (Not an easy task, but its something). That assuming Costa Rica doesn't beat Canada at home and take 9 points in the last cycle. 

14 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Canada going to qualify first then finish bottom of their group without winning a game.

Canada’s going to finish first in CONCACAF and likely make it out of their group. I would be very surprised if they didn’t finish Top 3.

Their top end talent is high end to world class, their coaching is very good, their buy-in is 100%, and they will likely get 1-3 players to declare for Canada between March and August.

They are like USMNT teams of old, but with much higher top end talent and a much better team manager. 

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

They have one world class player.

Granted... I'm not sure we have any. Weston is barking up that tree though. 

They have two, Jonathan David belongs on the World Class list with Davies. He's probably valued higher than Pulisic right now at this moment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

They have two, Jonathan David belongs on the World Class list with Davies. He's probably valued higher than Pulisic right now at this moment. 

He's 55M on TM and Pulisic is at 50. Granted Weston wouldn't go lower than 50 out of Juve so I'm not sure what your point is. Canada probably has the best player in CONCACAF. After that the US has much more talent. 

David isn't in some tier above the US' best players. 

Reyna also has the most raw talent of anyone in the octagonal. What are we doing here? Fuck Canada. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

David isn't in some tier above the US' best players. 

Yes he is. 

Canada has the Top 2 players in CONCACAF.

We probably have #3, Weston McKennie.

Cyle Larin & Tajon Buchanan would also start for the USMNT, but I don’t know if both are in CONCACAF’s Top 10 at the moment. Larin probably is if you are just considering World Cup qualifying and Buchanan is in the #11-#20 group. He was extremely dangerous in Nashville, but not as much on the narrow field while also tending to Dest.

Canada’s Achilles heel at the moment is their central defense. In the World Cup, on an 85 yard wide field, they might get exposed via quality crosses being in from the wide flanks or quick transitions in the center of the field. We chose not to transition quickly and in doing so we never attacked their weakest area. 

Thanks Gregg!

Edited by Napoleon

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Yes he is. 

Canada has the Top 2 players in CONCACAF.

We probably have #3, Weston McKennie.

Cyle Larin & Tajon Buchanan would also start for the USMNT, but I don’t know if both are in CONCACAF’s Top 10 at the moment. Larin probably is if you are just considering World Cup qualifying and Buchanan in in the #11-#20 group.

Canada’s Achilles heel at the moment is there central defense. In the World Cup, on an 85 yard wide field, they might get exposed via quality crosses being in from the wide flanks or quick transitions in the center of the field. We chose not to transition quickly and in doing so we never attacked their weakest area. 

Thanks Gregg!

You're old and pessimistic. I wouldn't trade Reyna for anyone in the octagonal over the next 10 years - including Davies. Gio's potential is ridiculous. We know who Davies is at this point. David is a nice player. He isn't in some other tier than Pulisic or McKennie. Both of whom are getting minutes for extremely prestigious European clubs. Let me know when David makes it out of playing for Lille. Pulisic has major contributions for a CL title under his belt. 

I know we're a little oil and vinegar sometimes but don't sell this team short. Canada has a couple shiny pieces but their overall talent isn't remotely comparable. 

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're old and pessimistic. I wouldn't trade Reyna for anyone in the octagonal over the next 10 years - including Davies. Gio's potential is ridiculous. We know who Davies is at this point. David is a nice player. He isn't in some other tier than Pulisic or McKennie. Both of whom are getting minutes for extremely prestigious European clubs. Let me know when David makes it out of playing for Lille. Pulisic has major contributions for a CL title under his belt. 

I know we're a little oil and vinegar sometimes but don't sell this team short. Canada has a couple shiny pieces but their overall talent isn't remotely comparable. 

David will move this summer. 

He was the leading scorer on the team that won Ligue 1 last year. He is #2 in goals in Ligue 1 this year, ahead of everyone at PSG.

Reyna (hopefully) will have a great career. He hasn’t played since September. David is in a tier above all Americans, because strikers are valued above midfielders who crash the box and attacking players who don’t play. 

Some day Reyna may be on David’s tier or even above him. That day is not in February 2022.

If you gave Dortmund the choice of David or Reyna to play out the season, they’d take David, in no small part because Harland is leaving this summer. 

If you offered David for Pulisic to Tuchel, he’d take that trade in a heartbeat. 

I don’t know what Juventus needs more, Weston or a top striker. They have been a bit of a mess, so they may keep Weston, but most top teams would take David within 5 minutes of offering the option of the two. 

I seem to constantly upset you with my objective takes on talent, but I’m just relaying how European clubs see players. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Napoleon

I'm too lazy to find the exact quote but GGG compared playing in 0 degrees to playing in 90 degrees + humidity in San Pedro Sula as if they are the same thing - it's just life in CONCACAF.

No, you petty a-hole, they're not the same thing. One country has no choice but to play their home games in that kind of weather, the other chooses to put players through an absolute beating just because their imbecile of a head coach is naïve enough to think it would help.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

@Napoleon and @ztejas I think you guys are both missing some good points that you are both making:

• It's true that Canada has the current best two players in CONCACAF right now
  • It's also true that the US has the overall best talent pool and top 11
  • It's also true that Reyna's top end is higher than any of the players in CONCACAF, BUT he isn't currently there and he has a ways to realize that top end.
  • Canada is dominating CONCACAF right now because they have better coaching and organization
  • Most of the comparisons you throw out there Napoleon aren't really even. Based on need or just comparing players that are currently there vs those coming up.

In the end, both teams have some talent, right now Canada has scoreboard and we (likely) aren't going to play for at least 2 years because of how the schedule falls out.

You know who the real fuck you goes to? Mexico, because they might not just fall to #2 in CONCACAF talent production, but #3.

• Hook 'Em 1

Canada can score goals which makes them a threat to get a result in every match.  They will eventually get overrun by a real team given their obvious limitations in MF and defense, but there is no reason they can't advance to the knockout round if they get a manageable group.  Davies and David are the best players in CONCACAF and Larin and Buchanan are legitimate attacking/scoring options. 

The USMNT has more talent across the board but the glaring lack of quality option at the 9 is a massive issue.  

As for the game, Zimmerman has earned the opportunity the start in the next qualifier, Acosta and DLT made big statements for both spots on the plane to Qatar and more PT, Weah is a locked-in starter at RW and Morris isn't the answer at LW (either as a starter or reserve).  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

No, you petty a-hole, they're not the same thing. One country has no choice but to play their home games in that kind of weather, the other chooses to put players through an absolute beating just because their imbecile of a head coach is naïve enough to think it would help.

plus, all of our players have plenty of experience playing in that type of hot, humid weather.  hell, some of them do it regularly in MLS since they play games during the fucking summer.  and all the players definitely grew up playing youth tournaments during the summer months where it was miserable.  so they can handle that.

nobody chooses to play in what they did last night.  clown show from a clown federation.

Edited by Jive Turkey

I personally don't have a problem with us making Honduras play in frigid conditions.  We did something ruthless that guaranteed a win. Good. Stop being bitches about it. 

Mexico regularly ignores smog protocols and makes sure the air in Azteca is as dirty as possible when they host World Cup qualifiers. 

Bolivia plays their games in La Paz at nearly 12,000 feet. It's so high that FIFA has tried to keep them from playing their games there.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I personally don't have a problem with us making Honduras play in frigid conditions.  We did something ruthless that guaranteed a win. Good. Stop being bitches about it. 

Mexico regularly ignores smog protocols and makes sure the air in Azteca is as dirty as possible when they host World Cup qualifiers. 

Bolivia plays their games in La Paz at nearly 12,000 feet. It's so high that FIFA has tried to keep them from playing their games there.

We're going to bitch about it because:
A. it should be beneath the US to do stuff like this. Small soccer countries do this to get an advantage because they don't have the talent to compete at the same level as bigger countries and

B. We don't want to see the federation doing this again.

I would ask about the smog protocols you speak of and any proof of that happening. And La Paz - altitude means nothing, their stadium is there, so?

And make no mistake, FIFA has stepped in for playing in healthy conditions.