West Wing

Mo Horn

Henry, last fall, every time your boss got on the stump and said, “It’s time for the rich to pay their fair share,” I hid under a couch and changed my name. I left Gage Whitney making $400,000 a year, which means I paid 27 times the national average in income tax. I paid my fair share, and the fair share of 26 other people. And I’m happy to, ’cause that’s the only way it’s gonna work. And it’s in my best interest that everybody be able to go to schools and drive on roads. But I don’t get 27 votes on Election Day. The fire department doesn’t come to my house 27 times faster and the water doesn’t come out of my faucet 27 times hotter. The top one percent of wage earners in this country pay for 22 percent of this country. Let’s not call them names while they’re doing it, is all I’m saying.

• Like 2

Unlikeable characters (or the shitty actors who play them) get written off shows every single season.  What made Mandy's departure so awesome was that they didn't even bother with a throw-away line the following season, "We could ask Mandy, but she's off making money in the private sector" -or- "Mandy can't chime in on this, she's Chief of Staff to the Speaker now."  Instead, it was if she never existed because she was horrible. 

We hadn't yet invented the term "Resting Bitch Face" back then for Mandy, but to me her default facial expression was her condescending eyes dour jaw and cheeks, and her mouth always opened to look as if she was perpetually sounding out the word, "moist."  Don't get me started on her fucking hair and gait.  

^
You got Mallory O'Brien way too fucking low.  She should at least be ahead of Zoey, if not up in the Top 4-5.  

But otherwise, solid opener to a worthy debate.  Our ballots would line up quite elegantly in 2008.  

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^
You got Mallory O'Brien way too fucking low.  She should at least be ahead of Zoey, if not up in the Top 4-5.  

But otherwise, solid opener to a worthy debate.  Our ballots would line up quite elegantly in 2008.  

Fair.  I could bump her up to 7 without having an issue.

I couldn't put her over Ginger or Annabeth, because I just know those two would be freaks in the sack.

Edited by TrashMaster G

That was a great scene.  Any scene with Fitz was phenomenal.  

I'm reminded of another one with inhouse counsel, Oliver when they were facing the MS deal.  The one I always find when searching is the "Bring it ON!" or the ones with Abbey.  But the one I can never find is when he lectures the President after Jed rambles about something and Oliver shouts back, "Just what the American people wanna hear when the President is confronted with questions about a particular situation...'I don't remember'!"  And Bartlett realizes, finally after setting his usual intellectual advantage to pasture, that he can't play the usual political playbook here because to do so would play into the notion that having MS makes the usual answers in depositions sound suspect.  Those few moments when Bartlett ceded authority of the situation to others...they were always powerful but subtle.  I guess just like MS.  Probably why they picked it.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:56 AM, South Austin said:

Never saw this, and it always seemed like it would be a too-preachy political drama.

But my girlfriend is insisting that we binge it. We’re finishing up the last season of The Wire, also at her urging, which is now one of my favorite TV series of all time. So maybe she knows a thing or two about quality shows.

I don’t understand. You’re a good, longtime poster. Personally I’ve even refused to engage in any banter, usually not that witty, about your mom just out of respect.

But after multiple, sometimes even articulate threads about a series that is generally rated top 5 and ended 14 years ago you recently decided to watch the Wire only because your girlfriend urged you to? Undefeated indeed 

21 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

I don’t understand. You’re a good, longtime poster. Personally I’ve even refused to engage in any banter, usually not that witty, about your mom just out of respect.

But after multiple, sometimes even articulate threads about a series that is generally rated top 5 and ended 14 years ago you recently decided to watch the Wire only because your girlfriend urged you to? Undefeated indeed 

image.gif.b0e2dc8c006134849abc3f118b621e8b.gif

Back when the show was originally on the air, there was a blog/website who had someone anonymous who claimed to have worked in the (Clinton?) White House and who would break down what was accurate/a stretch in each episode.  Certainly seemed legit so I took him/her at their word and always enjoyed reading it.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

^

Andrea Wyatt wouldn't be on my list.  She'd be replaced with CJ's assistant Carol.  Always dug Carol.

"somebody's going to emergency, somebody's going to jail" is my favorite stand alone episode.  we had a lot of debate on this board or the last one about whether it should count because it doesn't further the story, but that's why i like it.  the show can be different things at different times.

otherwise, it's tough to beat the s4 premiere, "20 hours in america".  it makes you laugh, it makes you cry.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:42 AM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Great episode-by-episode podcast with Joshua Malina and Hrishi Hirway, called the West Wing Weekly.  Great guests, as well.

http://thewestwingweekly.com/

I bet that’s a non-partisan hoot!

On 1/25/2022 at 9:42 AM, TrashMaster G said:

I skip that one and the one where they are filming the documentary.

Two episodes out of 155.  Not bad.

Same same. They had that run of character-centric episodes in there and CJ’s back in Dayton is not particularly entertaining and strengthens the narrative that CJ is a hoe (like when we find out she banged Hoynes after meeting him on an elevator).

I also don’t watch the actual documentary episode where they interviewed Jimmy Carter and former real life West Wing people; or Season 3 Ep 1 where they went out of their way to support Muslims immediately after 9/11 by falsely accusing Samir Notgonnaworkhereanymore of domestic terrorism. Extra stupid when they follow it up with the Qumar storylines. 

On 1/24/2022 at 7:56 AM, South Austin said:

Never saw this, and it always seemed like it would be a too-preachy political drama.

But my girlfriend is insisting that we binge it. We’re finishing up the last season of The Wire, also at her urging, which is now one of my favorite TV series of all time. So maybe she knows a thing or two about quality shows.

I suppose we can also reasonably assume that you haven’t seen The Sopranos or Breaking Bad and, frankly, I’m jealous. 

Edited by TonyTexas

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I bet that’s a non-partisan hoot!

it is, actually.  they get real in the weeds with the process of how stories became episodes.  sorkin works on a strict memo system and it sounds bonkers and exhausting.  they share a ton of insight and have writers and directors pop in, not to mention stars from the show.  there's also an ongoing discussion about how sam repeatedly should've been disciplined for inappropriate workplace behavior (sexual harassment type stuff).

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Season 3 Ep 1 where they went out of their way to support Muslims immediately after 9/11 by falsely accusing Samir Notgonnaworkhereanymore of domestic terrorism. Extra stupid when they follow it up with the Qumar storylines. 

i think back then it was really like episode 0, a completely independent story, and the 2-part new hampshire episodes were the season two premiere.  not sure what issue you have with the qumar storylines.  it's a beautiful country, you should visit and learn more about it.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I suppose we can also reasonably assume that you haven’t seen The Sopranos or Breaking Bad and, frankly, I’m jealous. 

Watched some of the Sopranos when it first aired, but lost interest. Never saw Breaking Bad. I just haven’t watched a lot of TV in my later years.

6 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

SAM: Who wrote this intro?

SCOTT TATE: I did.

SAM: You're from NASA Public Affairs?

TATE: Yep. SAM You mind if I give it a polish?

TATE: Is there a problem?

SAM: No, it's great. You mind if I change it?

TATE: I'd prefer if you didn't.

SAM: Just the same...

TATE: The Public Affairs has cleared the text. If it's gonna be changed, I'd prefer that the President change it.

SAM: See, that's kind of what he pays me to do, so...

TATE: Look, I don't want to step on your toes. You don't want to step on mine. We're both writers.

SAM: Yes, I suppose, if you broaden the definition to those who can't spell.

TATE: Excuse me?

BARTLET: [reads] "Good morning! I'm speaking to you live from the West Wing of the White House. Today we have a very unique opportunity to take part live in an extremely historic event which..." Whoa, boy...

SAM: [waves and smiles] How you doing, Mr. President?

BARTLET: Who wrote this intro?

TATE: I did, sir. I'm Scott Tate from NASA Public Affairs.

BARTLET: [gets up and shakes his hand] Scott. "Unique" means "one of a kind." Something can't be very unique, nor can it be extremely historic.

C.J.: While we're at it, do we have to use the word "live" twice in the first two sentences like we just cracked the technology?

TATE: Look...

C.J.: We're also broadcasting in living color, right?

BARTLET: Sam?

SAM: Yeah.

BARTLET: [to Tate] He's gonna make some changes.

TATE: [following Sam] You're going to clear them with me?

SAM: I doubt it.

skip to 3:20.  he said it right.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 3:49 PM, TrashMaster G said:

1 - Ainsley Hayes

2 - Helen Santos

3 - Kate Harper

4 - Elsie Snuffin

5 - Annabeth Schott

6 - Ginger

7 - Zoey Bartlet

8 - Andrea Wyatt

9 - Ellie Bartlet

10 - Mallory O'Brien 

Don't forget about Rina.  She was the one that came in to help out during the government shutdown. 

On 1/26/2022 at 3:49 PM, TrashMaster G said:

1 - Ainsley Hayes

2 - Helen Santos

3 - Kate Harper

4 - Elsie Snuffin

5 - Annabeth Schott

6 - Ginger

7 - Zoey Bartlet

8 - Andrea Wyatt

9 - Ellie Bartlet

10 - Mallory O'Brien 

I guess we see different things in women or you watched the show before high definition. Annoying ass, big greasy forehead Oklahoman Anna Beth in the top 10? No Donna but you include Ellie, Ginger, and Toby’s wife? I bet Mrs  Landingham is your honorable mention.

Tier 1 - Ainsley, Mallory, Helen Santos

Tier 2 - Winnie Cooper, Kate Harper, various sluts that Bruno brought to Election Day parties.

Tier 3 - the chicks you might not give a second look after passing on the sidewalk. Zoey, Donna, who cares. 

• Haha 1

"somebody's going to emergency, somebody's going to jail" is my favorite stand alone episode.  we had a lot of debate on this board or the last one about whether it should count because it doesn't further the story, but that's why i like it.  the show can be different things at different times.
[/url]  

otherwise, it's tough to beat the s4 premiere, "20 hours in america".  it makes you laugh, it makes you cry.

Damn it, HG posted all of the faves I was going to.

Oh, and I got a kick out of Lord John Marbry.
  • Like 1

I’m going to end up rewatching this and it has not been long since my last rewatch.

Everything posted is great.

Leo is a wonderful alcoholic character, and the death of the actor, because of who he was in relation to his character and how that played out in relation to the show, hits me like he’s someone I know.

If the first scene I had found was the “stuck in the hole “ scene I would have posted it. Both great alcoholic scenes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They dodged a bullet by not having Leo in the first scene of Season 7 (the flash forward to Bartlett’s library dedication). The final six or so episodes would’ve been much less dramatic as well if they are just sitting around filling cabinet seats. 

Speaking of that scene, the writers claimed they still leaned towards having Vinick win at that point, but why would Josh come running in out of breath, and act like he hasn’t seen any of them including Bartlett in a long time, to announce the President had arrived if it was Santos?

I’m going to end up rewatching this and it has not been long since my last rewatch.
Everything posted is great.
 Leo is a wonderful alcoholic character, and the death of the actor, because of who he was in relation to his character and how that played out in relation to the show, hits me like he’s someone I know.
 If the first scene I had found was the “stuck in the hole “ scene I would have posted it. Both great alcoholic scenes

My favorite scene is when Leo's wife left him and on the same night he had to go dispense some "political discipline" to VP Hoynes, who immediately ignored the conflict and with genuine concern asked him how long it had been since his last meeting and then invited him to his personal meeting.

I know a couple of oilmen - former partners turned opponents in a bitter lawsuit - who were at each others throats in court by day but were in meetings together at night.