winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

And the guy playing Jerry West is fucking killing it along with Brody and Reilly. Casting is just brilliant. 

First show I thought this is going to be so over the top I will hate it, and it's just the best thing on TV right now. Please god give me at least a third season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

And the guy playing Jerry West is fucking killing it along with Brody and Reilly. Casting is just brilliant. 
First show I thought this is going to be so over the top I will hate it, and it's just the best thing on TV right now. Please god give me at least a third season. 

Jason Clarke has been in tons of stuff, but he is inhabiting this role. I forget its him.
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 8/29/2023 at 9:10 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Jason Clarke plays a fantastic asshole on the "good guys" side.  His work in Zero Dark Thirty is a bit overshadowed by Chastain and underappreciated.  

Zero Dark Thirty was the first place I remember seeing him... and damn was he brilliant/scary/awesome in that.

"I'm not your friend.... I'm gonna break you..."

On 8/29/2023 at 5:16 PM, bullzak said:

Beneath that GQ exterior Riley was a killer and so were his teams. Broke my spirit as a Mavs fan in the 80s

Helps when you've got HOF'ers like Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Wilkes and great sidekicks like Byron Scott and Michael Cooper. I don't know enough about the inner workings of the shit-ass Lakers but it appears that Showtime is going to spin this that Riley knew better than to try and fit square pegs into round holes and let Magic and the team just play. "Wing it!" indeed. Granted, it took a little kick in the ass that only a former NBA player like Riley could effectively deliver. That never would've worked coming from Westhead.

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

the last 5-10 min were holy shit. grease is the word. 

Riley/Brody tearing each guy a new asshole and ultimately landing on Kareem saying he'd effectively retired two months prior was pretty spectacular.

I really, really hope this ends with the Celtics-Lakers wars in the 1980's. That's what makes this story so great. It's Showtime. It's LA glitz. It's Magic. Kareem. Jerry Buss. Half the fun is the early 80's nostalgia and backdrop and the film's patina. It's almost like another character.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I really, really hope this ends with the Celtics-Lakers wars in the 1980's. That's what makes this story so great. It's Showtime. It's LA glitz. It's Magic. Kareem. Jerry Buss. Half the fun is the early 80's nostalgia and backdrop and the film's patina. It's almost like another character.

are you saying that la is really the 5th character in the sex and the city universe?

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So what are your thoughts on this last episode.

And here's a few photos....

Winning Time on HBO:

F5Mcl5gbwAAMRJT?format=jpg&name=medium

and holy fucking shit the actual press conference

F5Mcl5bboAADmI2?format=jpg&name=small

I thought it was great. I loved it when they threw in the, "This really happened" bit. By all accounts, nobody knew what the hell had happened before, during or even after the press conference. 

How Westhead got fired, though, is a lot of bullshit. Nobody was happy with him putting the brakes on Showtime. He took the joy out of the game. Buss was unhappy. Other players besides Magic were unhappy. Westhead was hearing it in the press. Magic became the scapegoat, but Buss claims that he decided to fire Westhead even before Magic made the trade demand. Instead of West and Sharmin encouraging him to fire Westhead, it was the opposite. They both thought Westhead needed more time. 

Also, the focus on the Celtics is interesting but the Lakers played the Sixers in the finals in 1980, 1982 and 1983. They never caught the Celtics until 1984. The Rockets really threw a wrench into everything in 1981 and 1986. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I thought it was great. I loved it when they threw in the, "This really happened" bit. By all accounts, nobody knew what the hell had happened before, during or even after the press conference. 

How Westhead got fired, though, is a lot of bullshit. Nobody was happy with him putting the brakes on Showtime. He took the joy out of the game. Buss was unhappy. Other players besides Magic were unhappy. Westhead was hearing it in the press. Magic became the scapegoat, but Buss claims that he decided to fire Westhead even before Magic made the trade demand. Instead of West and Sharmin encouraging him to fire Westhead, it was the opposite. They both thought Westhead needed more time. 

Also, the focus on the Celtics is interesting but the Lakers played the Sixers in the finals in 1980, 1982 and 1983. They never caught the Celtics until 1984. The Rockets really threw a wrench into everything in 1981 and 1986. 

Correct, this is all building to the Lakers and Celtics meeting in the Finals for arguably the grandest showdown in the league's history past or present. And it happened three times. I expect Winning Time to conclude once Bird and Magic finally meet in the Finals, or maybe it will tell the story of all three Finals between the two powerhouses.

Did you guys watch the first episode of the first season? It this show gets its full run and doesn’t get cancelled it ends in 1991 with Chicago beating LA and Magic retiring after his HIV diagnosis. That is the generally agreed upon “end” of the Showtime Lakers.

This isn’t rocket science.

• Hook 'Em 1

Further this season started with a glimpse into the Lakers winning game one of the 84 Finals in Boston Garden. A finals they would go on to lose 4-3. Seems like that is where this season ends and then if there is a next season you get the revenge against the Celtics in 85 and then the repeat in 87 and 88

No, Jones has never managed to do anything like that.  Buss had a press conference to announce the Laker's new coach by the end of which no one was sure who the coach actually was.  It was something that should have been in an episode of Ted Lasso, but it actually happened.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

No, Jones has never managed to do anything like that.  Buss had a press conference to announce the Laker's new coach by the end of which no one was sure who the coach actually was.  It was something that should have been in an episode of Ted Lasso, but it actually happened.

Oh I agree never completely to that level, but pretty pretty close. People walk away and are thinking, "what the fuck was that? I don't even know what he said or what is going on"

Last episode was great.  Mostly because I can't really stand Jason Segal in any role anymore.
But mostly because that Riley speech and progression was awesome.  Great acting and every time Brody is on screen I picture the real Riley...he sells it well.

He’s awesome in Shrinking