Off Grid Alaska

mooseoutfront

13 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Wonderful thread! 

@mooseoutfront we have a similar style log cabin on Manitoulin Island and we did a chink job when it was in the upper 30s and sunny and it worked for us.  Same issue way up on the island with black flies/mosquitoes.

Welcome to the thread, Coach Parcells.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, luke duke said:

Did @mooseoutfront die in a shootout with the neighbor?

I'm still around.  No shoot out.  Been dealing with snow removal operations.  Had to rent a front end loader to make some room for the spring snows to come.  We are well over a 100 inches of snow now.  It's fucking nuts.  Most I've ever seen here.  I feel sorry for the moose.  They are exhausted.  I came up on a cow moose just lying in the highway the other day panting.  She didn't move until my truck was 10 feet from her.  The wolves are having a hey day on the moose calves.  Not too many are gonna make it through this winter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 12:12 PM, Dontshootrude said:

That's amazing and probably keeps you in better shape than 99% of the population.  

Have you ever considered installing a rocket mass heater?  Supposedly they use a fraction of the wood, burn way more efficiently, reduce the risks of chimney fires, and are much easier to maintain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_mass_heater

I've even heard of people incorporating piping in them so they could generate hot water. 

Lots of cool stuff out there.  We've been making it work for 12 years.  We've got our system down.  In 10 years we'll be Mexicans.  We're just gonna keep on keeping on with what we know.

UAF has a cold climate housing research center you might be interested in.

https://uaf.edu/campusmap/for-visitors/buildings/cchrc.php

follow the links

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:57 AM, Bateshorn said:

Hi, long time listener, first time caller (I.e, I read the whole thread first).  

When I lived/went to school in Maine, Moose would occasionally come on campus, usually a mother and calf crossing from one stretch of wilderness to another. We got a warning to stay in our dorms until the local PD could make space for them to go back in the woods. A local cop and at least one hunter told me Moose have zero fear of humans.  Given their size, Why would they?  And they aren’t all that hard to hunt. 

Is this your experience?

I’ll hang up and listen. 

Moose are by far the most dangerous animals in the woods here.  A bull moose in full rut will chase you down and kill you.  A cow moose protecting her calf will do the same.  You don't really get a sense of how big they are until you see them up close.  A fully mature bull moose in his prime is 10 to 11 feet tall if you measure from the top of the antlers to the ground.

And yes, they are not hard to hunt.  You just have to be able to make a good shot.  They are tough sons of bitches.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/11/2022 at 10:20 AM, Not a cat said:

I saw that episode when he was being stalked by a jaguar and he definitely seemed spun up.  Not judging, as I'd have pissed my pants.

Someone once told me if a moose charges get behind a tree and do the old looney tunes cartoon trick of spinning around the tree always staying on the other side.  No idea if that actually works, but it sounds good to me.  

Trees are your only hope unless you have a gun.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, Not a cat said:

I think a better way to get his ass killed is leave him attached to a slow middle aged human that already had a heavy pack on him.  I had him on a handless leash that attached to my belt so his best bet was not to be attached to my slow ass if a moose was coming after us.

On 2/12/2022 at 5:17 PM, Bevo said:

My son and I were chased by a small moose in Moonlight Basin up the mountain from Big Sky so this hits close to home. I remember thinking "Okay, I'm the adult here so at some point, I've got to figure out how to fight this thing". Luckily, he was able to hop the same townhouse fence that I tumbled over.

Kevin is disappointed in y’all 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2022 at 11:25 AM, CooterBrown said:

A friend from Maine said the issue is their eyes don’t reflect light like a deer so they’re a collision hazard at night while you’re driving. You don’t see the moose until it’s too late and 90% of their mass is above your car hood. Hit the moose and it is gonna decapitate you as it turns your ride into a convertible.

This is true.  Even though they are the largest member of the deer family, their eyes don't reflect like whitetail.  Plus, they'll just straight up walk out in front of your vehicle like they don't even see it.  Most people have auxiliary lights on their vehicles for night time driving.  They are referred to as moose lights.

On 2/16/2022 at 1:40 PM, BabaYaga said:

Yeah, that sucks.  My only hope out there, like it is in many rural agrarian/ranching communities that mutual support trumps politics (pun intended).  My parents are pretty left leaning, having gone "off to the big city" of Austin for schoolin'.  All our family that stayed are not.   Nor are the surrounding ranchers, but they all look out for each other's property/fences/livestock, etc.  

Meaning if you were broke down on the side of the road, would they help you out?  

You don't leave anyone stranded on the road at 40 below.  Bad karma, no matter how bad you dislike them.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/21/2022 at 5:50 PM, tomahawk dunk said:

Moose, do you ever visit the gun thread in hobbies? If so, are you planning on getting the Ruger 45-70?

A friend of mine purchased one of those.  Sweet little do everything gun for around here.  I doubt I'll get one.  I have all the long guns I need/want.  Pistols on the other hand... 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/21/2022 at 6:17 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Wonderful thread! 

@mooseoutfront we have a similar style log cabin on Manitoulin Island and we did a chink job when it was in the upper 30s and sunny and it worked for us.  Same issue way up on the island with black flies/mosquitoes.

Problem we have is that we try to get all summer chores done by September 1. That's the first day of moose season.  Fire wood and gardening consume our lives in the lead up to that.  By the time we get through hunting and processing the moose not only are we pretty much spent physically, the temps are usually below the curing range for the chinking compound.  It's on the list though...one of these days.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Lots of cool stuff out there.  We've been making it work for 12 years.  We've got our system down.  In 10 years we'll be Mexicans.  We're just gonna keep on keeping on with what we know.

UAF has a cold climate housing research center you might be interested in.

https://uaf.edu/campusmap/for-visitors/buildings/cchrc.php

follow the links

Thanks.  I want to reiterate what others have said.  This is one of the most interesting and informative threads on the board.  Thanks for the contribution and keep it up!  You should start a YouTube Vlog and retire 5 years earlier with your patreon money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Problem we have is that we try to get all summer chores done by September 1. That's the first day of moose season.  Fire wood and gardening consume our lives in the lead up to that.  By the time we get through hunting and processing the moose not only are we pretty much spent physically, the temps are usually below the curing range for the chinking compound.  It's on the list though...one of these days.

Yeah, that's fair. We don't go in winter up there (bears, snow and it not being fully winterize are against it) so don't have a need for that kind of preparation. 

On 2/23/2022 at 4:13 AM, Dontshootrude said:

Thanks.  I want to reiterate what others have said.  This is one of the most interesting and informative threads on the board.  Thanks for the contribution and keep it up!  You should start a YouTube Vlog and retire 5 years earlier with your patreon money.

I'm happy to finally contribute something positive to the board...been a lurker for years.  I've just got to start remembering to carry my phone with me so I can take y'all some pics.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ocugolf said:

What does it take monetary wise to run your operation annually? After your sunk cost of the house, machinery, etc. 

I’m fascinated. I live vicariously through you. Can only imagine the greatness of the solitude 

Our budget is $3K per month, but unless something breaks we usually spend around $2K or less.  If the shit hit the fan we could live quite comfortably on $1K a month.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 5:12 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Can you see Russia from your house?  If so, what are those sneaky fucks up to in their east?

The military is for sure prepping here. I’ve never seen as many convoys on the highway as I’ve seen in the last few weeks. They are moving all kinds of equipment via road and rail. Lots of aircraft in the air. Everything from fighter jets to cargo planes to blackhawks and apaches. Shit is being mobilized. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 11:29 PM, mooseoutfront said:

I read a lot of historical fiction and non-fiction for that matter.  A common theme is starting in about October (in the Rockies, not Alaska), the majority of the time was spent getting firewood, “making meat” and gathering forage for the animals.  I guess since you don’t have mules and horses you don’t have to worry about the last, but how stressful is it making sure you have enough wood and food?  I mean I know it’s got to be backbreaking work at times, but have you ever been concerned you didn’t do enough?

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I read a lot of historical fiction and non-fiction for that matter.  A common theme is starting in about October (in the Rockies, not Alaska), the majority of the time was spent getting firewood, “making meat” and gathering forage for the animals.  I guess since you don’t have mules and horses you don’t have to worry about the last, but how stressful is it making sure you have enough wood and food?  I mean I know it’s got to be backbreaking work at times, but have you ever been concerned you didn’t do enough?

I love how he has three years worth they burn the 2 year old aged wood, they have one year old, and then green wood.  I guess they start dipping into the 2 year old wood if they run out of the three year old.

On 3/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

We don't stress much, we can always buy ourselves out of trouble.  Cured firewood goes for about $250/cord.  We've never run short on firewood.  Cutting wood is one of my favorite things.  It's the most productive, satisfying work I've ever done.  As I get older it's going to get tougher to bring in 10 cords a year.  We'll budget for it as I approach 60.

The only real stress is getting the vegetables harvested and canned and the moose processed before spoilage sets in.  My wife and I handle the garden stuff ourselves.  The potatoes aren't harvested until after the first couple of freezes anyway.  The freeze drives the nutrients from the plant into the tuber.  You just want to get them before the ground freezes.  We always throw a moose processing party.  Usually about 6 to 10 people show up.  Everyone goes home with fresh moose meat, full bellies, and a cool buzz.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 2/22/2022 at 10:35 PM, mooseoutfront said:

I'm still around.  No shoot out.  Been dealing with snow removal operations.  Had to rent a front end loader to make some room for the spring snows to come.  We are well over a 100 inches of snow now.  It's fucking nuts.  Most I've ever seen here.  I feel sorry for the moose.  They are exhausted.  I came up on a cow moose just lying in the highway the other day panting.  She didn't move until my truck was 10 feet from her.  The wolves are having a hey day on the moose calves.  Not too many are gonna make it through this winter.

Moose are overpopulated in the region and they’re decimating the grub worm population.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:07 PM, UTGrad98 said:

All I can think about is how long my wife and I, or really me and any other human being, would have made it out there in a 400 Sq foot cabin. 12 years. Holy shit dude. Talk about finding your soul mate. 

Yeah.  I  was going to post "what a fucking nightmare" but I think the above is more positive so I'll go with that.

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2022 at 5:54 PM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Yeah.  I  was going to post "what a fucking nightmare" but I think the above is more positive so I'll go with that.

It has been a challenge at times, but the way we live has instilled an us versus the world mentality between the two of us.  We have both changed and matured a lot over the past dozen years, but in the end it's all about the 3 amigos...my wife, me, and whatever canine we are currently spoiling.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm sorry if it has been answered on the canine question.  And I apologize because any of the folks on this board who live on more than an acre probably already know the answer to this.

So there are coyotes in our area, so when our twenty pound dog  has to piss in the middle of the night, I go out with him.  To keep the coyotes away.  And we both piss.

Does the dog understand the perils that lay outside your door?   Do they learn to just stay relatively close?  Or do you go through a dog every couple of months or so?

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

How long does a 1.5-mile trek through the snow take? That sounds fun. 

I had snowshoes on so it only took about 20 or so minutes.  Without the snowshoes it would have taken me 45 min easy.  There was about a foot of fresh snow on the ground.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Have you practiced taping broken glass onto your hands to engage in fisticuffs with wolves a la Liam Neeson? You do seem to have a very specific set of skills

angry liam neeson GIF

If they leave me alone, I'll leave them alone.  They are fascinating creatures.  My favorite animals in the woods.  They are like ghosts.  You hardly ever see them.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

With or without wolves nipping at your heels?

without:

Silly Walk GIF

with:

Usain Bolt Sport GIF by Olympics

You never run.  Triggers the predatory instinct.  Whether it's bears or wolves or whatever, you stand your ground and move away slowly.  Grizzlies will bluff charge you.  They'll run hard, right at you and then pull up 10 feet away.  It's a test.  You stand your ground and give 'em your best war face.  Think Leonidas in 300.  More often than not they'll turn and walk away.  I hope I never find out. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, davidg said:

Yeah, I'm not going the 50' to the shitter at night without a firearm in AK and you walk 1.5 miles in the snow, at night, without a light, empty handed?  

It was my own dumb ass fault.  Forgot my headlamp that morning, and forgot to grab the pistol I usually just leave in the truck for the trek.  I used to carry a gun everywhere the first 2 or 3 years we lived out here.  I rarely carry around the cabin unless there is fresh bear sign.  I don't know if it's complacency or the fact that I've just realized the critters around here aren't going to hurt me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

It was my own dumb ass fault.  Forgot my headlamp that morning, and forgot to grab the pistol I usually just leave in the truck for the trek.  I used to carry a gun everywhere the first 2 or 3 years we lived out here.  I rarely carry around the cabin unless there is fresh bear sign.  I don't know if it's complacency or the fact that I've just realized the critters around here aren't going to hurt me. 

1GSW.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

I point and laugh at the concealed carry guys in cities, but, I'd carry a gun EVERYWHERE up there. 

We have coyotes and wolves both in the area.  The wild animals around here are still very wary of humans, so they don't really get that close to the cabin.  Although there were a couple of coyotes that came up the drive a couple of months ago.  They got to about 100 feet from the cabin before they turned around.  Magnum went nuts when he smelled them the next morning and I followed their tracks in the snow for about about a mile before the got off the road and headed into the woods.  Probably just scouts for a large pack that I've seen around all winter.  I counted 18 of them when I surprised them on the road one night.  
Magnum is a smart little fucker.  Smartest dog I've ever had.  He just knows and stays close.  You can always tell by watching how his body language changes when he smells predators.  He'll do his thing if it's just a lynx or coyotes, but if he smells wolves he'll turn around and head back to the cabin.  Refuses to take another step.  He's a good alarm system.  We've never lost a dog to the critters, but it 's a risk we've just accepted.
Here's a wolf story for you...
We were drifted in a while back.  I had to park my work rig on the highway side of the snow drifts and walk about a mile and a half to the cabin.  My dumb ass left my head lamp at the cabin that morning and I forgot to grab the pistol out of the truck before I started walking home in the dark.  About half way home I heard an audible growl.  My butt hole immediately puckered.  No light, no firearm.  I started singing the Eyes of Texas.  That's the standard way I make noise in the woods so I don't surprise a bear in the summertime.  Anyways I continue down the road home.  I can hear at least two creatures following me, one on each side of the road.  I can't see them, but I can hear their footsteps in the snow and I can hear them breathing. They break off about a quarter mile from the cabin and I get home.  Go out the next morning when it's light and sure as shit find wolf tracks in the snow.  They could of had me if they wanted me.  They were just checking me out.  They really want nothing to do with us. Still gets the heartbeat up though.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I had a coyote run in front of my car on my way home last night. Scared the shit out me.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You have a single-story cabin. No spiral staircase. You’re safe.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3