Off Grid Alaska

mooseoutfront

5 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

First bear sign I’ve seen around the cabin all summer. This is a little guy. Mom probably kicked him out recently. Time for him to learn how to make it on his own. 

E34BE60C-D5CC-445C-8225-60D35CCEC046.jpeg

Fuck.  If I saw that near my house, I'd have nightmares about being sodomized by a bear.

And I don't mean a fat hairy gay dude, although that would also be horrible too. 

On 8/1/2022 at 3:39 PM, mooseoutfront said:

First bear sign I’ve seen around the cabin all summer. This is a little guy. Mom probably kicked him out recently. Time for him to learn how to make it on his own. 

E34BE60C-D5CC-445C-8225-60D35CCEC046.jpeg

Maybe he's just looking for a pic a nic basket.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

My niece and her husband are starting their third year teaching in Galena, Alaska.  They're young and in love and she loves to hunt and fish. The first week the were there she caught a Northern Pike bigger than any I've caught in my entire life. Shortly afterward she shot a moose.

Pics of nieces moose knuckle?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

My niece and her husband are starting their third year teaching in Galena, Alaska.  They're young and in love and she loves to hunt and fish. The first week the were there she caught a Northern Pike bigger than any I've caught in my entire life. Shortly afterward she shot a moose.

Husband, huh?  Damn it. 

13 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Galena is a tough place to live.  Kudos to them for making it into their third year.

7 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Galena is a tough place to live.  Kudos to them for making it into their third year.

At the 2020 census the population was 472, slightly up from 470 in 2010.

Looks like they are the 2 that moved in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

How about pics of the Pike and Moose, for the fishing and hunting 2022 threads. Forget those creepers. 

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

@mooseoutfront, don't want to derail your other thread, but where is your plow truck in relation to your cabin? And what time did the shit happen? 

Fuck all thieves, period. 

The plow truck was still sitting at the gravel pit where I moved everything when the fire got so close, about 3 miles away from the cabin.  The starter motor took a shit on me and I've been waiting almost 2 months for the correct replacement part to come in.  The first starter they shipped was incorrect.

The shitty thing is I went to Fairbanks to pick up the starter on Saturday and drove by the truck at the pit.  Everything was ok.  Went to the pit on Sunday morning to install the starter and first thing I noticed when I pulled in was the back window being broken.  So it happened Saturday night sometime.  They destroyed the steering column trying to get it started, which it wasn't going to do because it had no starter motor.  When they couldn't get it started they stole the batteries out of it.  I guess I'm lucky they didn't decide to just destroy the whole fucking thing.  They wanted the plow.  The plow is worth 2 or 3 times what the truck is.

Fucking meth head thieves.  I have an idea who did it.  I'll be watching them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

The plow truck was still sitting at the gravel pit where I moved everything when the fire got so close, about 3 miles away from the cabin.  The starter motor took a shit on me and I've been waiting almost 2 months for the correct replacement part to come in.  The first starter they shipped was incorrect.

The shitty thing is I went to Fairbanks to pick up the starter on Saturday and drove by the truck at the pit.  Everything was ok.  Went to the pit on Sunday morning to install the starter and first thing I noticed when I pulled in was the back window being broken.  So it happened Saturday night sometime.  They destroyed the steering column trying to get it started, which it wasn't going to do because it had no starter motor.  When they couldn't get it started they stole the batteries out of it.  I guess I'm lucky they didn't decide to just destroy the whole fucking thing.  They wanted the plow.  The plow is worth 2 or 3 times what the truck is.

Fucking meth head thieves.  I have an idea who did it.  I'll be watching them. 

Is there any law up there?  If they are meth dipshits, they no doubt have records and left fingerprints. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Is there any law up there?  If they are meth dipshits, they no doubt have records and left fingerprints. 

We’ll find out. They left the claw hammer they used on the steering column. 

I waited over 3 1/2 for a trooper to show up. Law enforcement is sparse in my area. He took pictures, statements and bagged the hammer to send it to Fairbanks. 

Lots of theft, especially mail theft in the 3 months these chucklefucks have been around. They are squatting on a power line in a wall tent. Of course the do gooders have been feeding them and praying for them which has only extended their stay. 

Rumors of a couple of run ins with Anchorage moose hunters, like guns drawn type run ins. But who fucking knows? Anchorage hunters are fucking assholes on the trail too. 

Of course there are children. Why wouldn’t there be?

My buddy took a ride to check them out and he said they don’t have a stove pipe, so no stove. They can’t winter over without a stove. They are predicting a colder than usual winter, so more 30 to 40 belows less 20 to 30 belows. 

I’m assuming they’ll leave when it starts getting cold, another month. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Methheads, wildfires, biblical storms, angry natives, bitter cold, mosquitoes, grizzlies clicking jaws at you.  Hats off to you mooseoutfront, I think I'd have tapped out by now.

There's a win ahead. KState is coming. 

Not to like make light of the situation and I hope you find justice but this talk of meth heads and gangs would be awesome if someone made a Hell or High Water set in off grid Alaska. Maybe instead of bank robbers its tanker thieves or some type of Captain Phillips situation but for an oil rig. The right cast and director I bet it would be good.

Just started watching Life Below Zero again and while I’m sure it’s all scripted man that’s beautiful country. Huslia, Brushkana, Eagle and way up north at Kavik. Beautiful and dangerous 

And one of my favorite shows ever, The Last Alaskans

Edited by Dilligas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, Not a cat said:

Methheads, wildfires, biblical storms, angry natives, bitter cold, mosquitoes, grizzlies clicking jaws at you.  Hats off to you mooseoutfront, I think I'd have tapped out by now.

The freedom that we enjoy up here makes it worth it.  None of natural shit really bothers me all that much.  The asshole people are what fuck it up, but there are assholes everywhere. 

On 9/17/2022 at 4:58 PM, chainsaw said:

Not to like make light of the situation and I hope you find justice but this talk of meth heads and gangs would be awesome if someone made a Hell or High Water set in off grid Alaska. Maybe instead of bank robbers its tanker thieves or some type of Captain Phillips situation but for an oil rig. The right cast and director I bet it would be good.

I mean, it's not Alaska, it's Wyoming, but...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5362988/

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

The plow truck has had a lot of deferred maintenance on it the last several years.  When the steering column got destroyed I said fuck it and had it towed to town (Fairbanks) to our mechanic.  He's doing a lot of front end work on it that I've been putting off.  All 3 sets of U joints need replaced, ball joints, front axle seals, shit like that.  He's putting in the starter motor and upgrading to a high output alternator to help the batteries out when running the plow.  I went and pulled a steering column out of a junker Ford in Wasilla last Saturday.  My wife delivered it to the mechanic yesterday.  Everything should be done by the end of this week or sometime next week, hopefully before the 29th when I leave for Texas for the quarterly Mom check in. Going to the West Virginia game on Oct 1.  Haven't been to a football game in several years.  I hope I don't spontaneously combust with the heat.  

Stop by the Surly tailgate if you want to ensure you'll never want to talk to anyone on these boards ever again, sir. 

Seriously, I'm not going to that game but I'd definitely buy your ass a beer I were. 

On 9/21/2022 at 5:45 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Stop by the Surly tailgate if you want to ensure you'll never want to talk to anyone on these boards ever again, sir. 

Seriously, I'm not going to that game but I'd definitely buy your ass a beer I were. 

I'll try to stop by the tailgate.  Is it at the place that is pinned on the football board, over by the LBJ Library?

Rain check on the beer.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2022 at 6:27 PM, luke duke said:

So how effective is the shitstick in the winter? Do you have to make sure and knock it down before it freezes, do you switch to a chisel or do you just live dangerously and hope the peak stays below the rim until spring?

The shit stick is very effective when knocking down the poopcicle. Give it a good whack and it usually breaks off at or near the bottom. You always let it freeze before you give it a go. 

As far as I know the shit stick has not been utilized this year as of yet. That’s the wife’s job. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

No updates since September. I’m assuming his internet froze. 

Still here. Been busy as fuck. This year’s fire and the plow truck shenanigans put me way behind on getting ready for winter. 

Winter officially showed up last night, 36 below when I got up this morning. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Or that fucked-up neighbor got him. Hope his wife and dog got out ok. 

Good news on that front, I’ve heard his place is up for sale. The guy that is looking to buy it and I are on friendly term, so if the sale happens the overall stress level in the neighborhood will go down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

No updates since September. I’m assuming his internet froze. 

You have NO idea how long the Quest for the Perfect Shitstick takes each year.  Moose went into the woods a civilized man, and came back two months later, triumphantly bearing this year's shitstick, but looking like this:

HT_Leonardo_Dicaprio_Revenant_hb_151216_

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Still here. Been busy as fuck. This year’s fire and the plow truck shenanigans put me way behind on getting ready for winter. 

Winter officially showed up last night, 36 below when I got up this morning. 

I’ve never been anywhere colder than 9 F. How dangerous of a threat is hypothermia at 36 below?  I mean can you run outside in jeans, slip on shoes, and a light jacket to grab firewood real fast, or do you have to have all crap on just to open the door? I can’t even begin to imagine what that is like.