Off Grid Alaska

mooseoutfront

4 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I think you might be better served shooting yourself with a .22 rimfire rather than the polar bear.

I feel like the only way you could kill one with a 22 is either through the eye or maybe back of the throat with it's mouth open. It said the bear got hit in the head and the bullets couldn't get through it's skull.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I feel like the only way you could kill one with a 22 is either through the eye or maybe back of the throat with it's mouth open. It said the bear got hit in the head and the bullets couldn't get through it's skull.

Lulz, we had goats when I was a kid and to kill a goat with a 22 you had to shoot it through the ear.  (Don't spoil the meat)  .22 to the head just made them pissed and had them run around.

mmmm, now I'm dreaming of cabrito

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 4:37 PM, Doc Holliday said:Why do people up there not like it when I call break up season, Codependent season?  

Hits too close to home. It’s called break up season for a couple of different reasons. Lots of relationships end in the early spring for some reason. 

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Hits too close to home. It’s called break up season for a couple of different reasons. Lots of relationships end in the early spring for some reason. 

Just learned about the Nenana Ice Classic. How much do you figure you've wagered over the years? It sounds exhilarating.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:05 PM, Doc Holliday said:

I will add remote Alaska folks are unique.  By unique I mean quirky to all extremes.  Hard working, tough as nails, surviving, thriving, grateful, and addicts galore.  Support for others and words like don't step foot on my property again have authority. Crazy summabitches to get outside in the ridiculously cold and I get looked at funny down here in the lower 40 when I say snow machine.  I blame yall. 

On the unique note, had a drunkass 54 year old Homer fishing lady hitting on me at the hotel bar.  She runs a B&B down there now.  Can confirm she did not smell like fish thankfully.  

Kevin Bacon has 6* of separation and if you spend time up there, have family there, or have worked in energy, from upstream down, the service industry, etc. you are closer to 2* of separation.  Everyone knows everyone in this weird way. 

If I can make things happen with my company up there, I may have a 500g trailered offset ready to go and smoke some brisket, ribs, etc. this summer.  It's a decent trip for you and I promise the bbq won't be the shitshow you're used to by now. Turnagain, etc. is terrible.  🤣

I've never understood the snow machine thing either, but they are adamant about it up here.  You can always go old school and call them Snow Go's.

I just got back from Abilene, Texas and had some pretty good BBQ at Jay's BBQ Shack.  I would definitely recommend if anyone is ever in Abilene.  Brisket was very good, very tender.  They make their sausage in house and the 3 pepper Jack cheese was as good as any sausage I've ever had.  

DM me when you get up here again and I'll give you the local's tour.  Tourist season is already starting to ramp up.

Don't know why it didn't include your quote up above, but I was responding to your Codependent Season comment.

19 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Red Sox? 

Yep.

The 2 most influential sports moments of my youth were the Miracle on Ice in 1980 and Roger Clemens pitching the Horns to the CWS title in 1983 over Alabama.  Decided to become a Red Sox fan when they drafted him not understanding the pain, agony, and anguish I voluntarily signed up for.  But I'm a loyal fucker.  I've stuck through it with my Horns and I'll stick through it with my Sox.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

As someone born and raised in Abilene but with enough brain cells to realize I needed to GTFO asap, I have to ask wtf brought you there from BFE Alaska?

Born and raised in Abilene as well.  Abilene High School, class of 1989.  Got the fuck out of there as quickly as I could too.  Matriculated to the 40 acres and never went back.

My wife and I take turns going back every quarter or so to check in on my aging parents.  It was my turn.  Neither of us like it, but it is something we have to do.  They have no one else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Born and raised in Abilene as well.  Abilene High School, class of 1989.  Got the fuck out of there as quickly as I could too.  Matriculated to the 40 acres and never went back.
My wife and I take turns going back every quarter or so to check in on my aging parents.  It was my turn.  Neither of us like it, but it is something we have to do.  They have no one else.

Class of 2006. There’s actually a lot more to do now than just go out to Kirby lake and drink beer or try and sneak into the Stairs Club, but whatever you do don’t go to that fucking Hooter’s. Woof. Also, check your inbox.

16 hours ago, bolverk said:

Just learned about the Nenana Ice Classic. How much do you figure you've wagered over the years? It sounds exhilarating.

We each only take one guess a year, so $5 over 12 years is $60.

It gets exciting when the ice starts to go around your time.  Like I said my wife missed it by 2 minutes one year.  Very intense.

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Class of 2006. There’s actually a lot more to do now than just go out to Kirby lake and drink beer or try and sneak into the Stairs Club, but whatever you do don’t go to that fucking Hooter’s. Woof. Also, check your inbox.

Nice, a fellow Warbird.

Inbox checked.  Sent you a reply.  

I spent a year in Abilene and “The Stairs” comment js pretty damn funny. I spent a lot of Saturday nights there as there was pretty much nothing else to do in Abilene and The Stairs was the only decent college bar. We used to get high and go to the zoo to feed the giraffes grass from the bridge over their area. We’d then go to El Chico at mall to load up on sopapillas. This was 87-88.

14 minutes ago, Hate said:

I spent a year in Abilene and “The Stairs” comment js pretty damn funny. I spent a lot of Saturday nights there as there was pretty much nothing else to do in Abilene and The Stairs was the only decent college bar. We used to get high and go to the zoo to feed the giraffes grass from the bridge over their area. We’d then go to El Chico at mall to load up on sopapillas. This was 87-88.

Yeah, The Stairs comment brought back the memories.  You and I probably crossed paths back in the day in or around The Stairs.  It was literally the only thing to do as a youngster in Abilene.  I had a buddy who was friends with the door guys so we were always able to sneak in.  Loved the Abilene Christian girls who went there.  They knew they were going to get in trouble if the school found out they were there so they always made the most of it.  I was usually able to talk at least one of them to go check out the blue lights by the airport and smoke a joint with me.  And late night drunk sopapillas at EL Chico were the shit.  Wish I still had that high school metabolism. 

We each only take one guess a year, so $5 over 12 years is $60.
It gets exciting when the ice starts to go around your time.  Like I said my wife missed it by 2 minutes one year.  Very intense.
John Oliver show did a bit on this last night.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, The Stairs comment brought back the memories.  You and I probably crossed paths back in the day in or around The Stairs.  It was literally the only thing to do as a youngster in Abilene.  I had a buddy who was friends with the door guys so we were always able to sneak in.  Loved the Abilene Christian girls who went there.  They knew they were going to get in trouble if the school found out they were there so they always made the most of it.  I was usually able to talk at least one of them to go check out the blue lights by the airport and smoke a joint with me.  And late night drunk sopapillas at EL Chico were the shit.  Wish I still had that high school metabolism. 

I was at ACU for that year. Everyone thinks the girls there are prudes, but I found exactly the opposite to be true. Most of those girls had been under their parents’ thumbs all of their lives and couldn’t wait to have a little freedom. I spent my year there getting as many of them as I could to let me help them experience that freedom…mostly freedom from their bras and panties.

Good friend of mine from hs went to ACU. Parents were legacies. Granddaddy was a professor. He was easily the squarest dude in our crew. 100% sure he never had a drop of alcohol. But great guy.

Would have been the squarest dude at most colleges but this was ACU. Apparently there was a party, not sure if it was at his crib or not, off campus where there was beer. The horror. And he was there. Didn’t drink. Still they kicked him out.

Fuck that school.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I was at ACU for that year. Everyone thinks the girls there are prudes, but I found exactly the opposite to be true. Most of those girls had been under their parents’ thumbs all of their lives and couldn’t wait to have a little freedom. I spent my year there getting as many of them as I could to let me help them experience that freedom…mostly freedom from their bras and panties.

That was my experience too.  And all the girls from ACU seemed to be at least 8's or higher.  Unreal the talent there.  

10 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

My great grandfather was a janitor at Abilene High for 28 years. First and only legal job he held in the US. /csb

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/29/2022 at 8:51 AM, Johnny Sack said:

I have two cousins and a niece who attend ACU now.  It has loosened up its rules pretty significantly.

Moose -- if you want BBQ in Abilene

https://theshedabilene.com/

Place is legit BBQ.

When I am in Abilene, I always hit up Perinis.  Maybe my favorite place to eat in the state. 

I will give it a try next time I’m in town. I live on BBQ, Mexican food, Whataburger, and Allsup’s burritos when I’m in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 5:27 PM, Hate said:

On 3/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, mooseoutfront said:

That was my experience too.  And all the girls from ACU seemed to be at least 8's or higher.  Unreal the talent there.  

Ok, you two assholes are bringing back some pleasurable memories of my youth! To get drunk, you went to Graham's Central Station...to chase the hotties (with their pent up horniness) from ACU, you went to Stairs.... Good times, young Airman at Dyess. March 83-October 84.

• Like 1

Ok, you two assholes are bringing back some pleasurable memories of my youth! To get drunk, you went to Graham's Central Station...to chase the hotties (with their pent up horniness) from ACU, you went to Stairs.... Good times, young Airman at Dyess. March 83-October 84.

Bet you were a regular at Butterfield Junction. Easy access via backroads to and from the base seems highly appealing

• 2 weeks later...

One of my uncles was stationed in Alaska while he was in the Air Force in the fifties.  He told us that one time he was standing in formation when he felt a mosquito land on each shoulder.  He heard the one on his left shoulder ask, "Should we eat him here, or carry him off to the woods?"  The other one replied, "We better eat him here.  If we carry him to the woods, a big skeeter will steal him from us."  He said that his buddies on either side of him and his sergeant helped him fight them off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Modessit said:
On 4/6/2022 at 10:12 AM, mooseoutfront said:
Here is my guess.

So if the line attached between the tripod which is sitting on the ice on the Tanana River and the official clock on the shore breaks at 3:37 pm on April 30 I get a share of the jackpot. 
FE3EBB02-A5FE-4246-98CB-9590A7B423AA.thumb.jpeg.946ba1ade3bfc6ddf9cb85249b0ac82c.jpeg

How's it looking?

I’ve got a legit chance. 

Here’s a link to the live ice cam:

icecammega.jpg

On 3/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, Felix said:

Was staying at the Island House on Padre when Hurricane Hanna surprised us by turning north instead of hitting towards the valley as expected.  Sitting on the balcony watching the surf get bigger and bigger.  Only a few brave souls walking on the beach in front of the sea wall, which was only about ten yards wide and getting smaller by the minute.  Caught some movement from the direction of the dunes and see two full grown coyotes trot out of the dunes, casually trot down the beach north towards the jetty while people while people step aside and watch in stunned silence as they disappear up the beach towards the Holiday Inn.

Paco and I just looked at each other for a minute.  Did we see what we thought we saw?  We did. 

An hour later waves were hitting the sea wall and blasting water thirty feet in the air.  My sliding glass door on my ocean front condo was blown out of the track and we had to move to another room later that night and seeing those coyotes was still the damnedest thing about the whole experience.

They might be part red wolves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/03/science/red-wolves-dna-galveston.html

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What will $1200 buy up there nowadays, a case of LaBatt? 

I’m going to Las Vegas for work in a couple of weeks. My wife is tagging along. It’s going to be her blackjack money. 

But to answer your question, 2 cases of LaBatt 

• Haha 1