2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

shadow_operative2.0

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I didn’t see . What all did she say in a nutshell? 

It was on USA with that blonde british host. Can't find a link. Just basically telling her story and all the schooling she's done and getting into skating from rollerblading.

That chick needs all the endorsement deals. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TexPx said:

No shit. One of the strangest Olympic moments I can remember. Still not sure who all to be pissed at.

Let me help you:

1. The Russian government and everyone else involved, for setting up that elaborate scheme to cheat in 2014 while hosting the Olympics;

2. The IOC, for refusing to ban the lot of them from competition for several Olympic games;

3. The coaches and support staff who continued to cheat and loaded up a 15 year old with a cocktail of drugs to improve her performance with no regard for her well being or long term effects;

4. The Court for Arbitration of Sport for not declaring the young lady ineligible pending the investigation, ignoring the "irreparable harm" their decision would cause to the sport and to all other athletes competing in the figure skating events.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, pops said:

Yep. She's good. But there is a 5 point CCP bump. It's stupid. Her 1st run was better than her second... but it's 2 points higher. 

Gu added a 540 spin on her second run. Second run was plainly better than her first.

No way was Sharpe better. She missed a lot of her grabs. If you look at the replays, you see Sharpe repeated opening and closing her hands trying to reach her skis.

Let me help you:
1. The Russian government and everyone else involved, for setting up that elaborate scheme to cheat in 2014 while hosting the Olympics;
2. The IOC, for refusing to ban the lot of them from competition for several Olympic games;
3. The coaches and support staff who continued to cheat and loaded up a 15 year old with a cocktail of drugs to improve her performance with no regard for her well being or long term effects;
4. The Court for Arbitration of Sport for not declaring the young lady ineligible pending the investigation, ignoring the "irreparable harm" their decision would cause to the sport and to all other athletes competing in the figure skating events.

5. Her Mother

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I hate cheating. I hate Russia. I took absolutely no pleasure watching a 15 yo girl buckle under the pressure. Fuck all that shit show that is Russian figure skating and figure skating in general. 

Did she buckle under the pressure, though?  It wouldn't surprise me at all if she was told to purposefully blow it so that her teammates could take gold and silver and they could have the medal ceremony go forward, and that's why her teammates were so upset after winning.

Just now, lemonlime said:

Did she buckle under the pressure, though?  It wouldn't surprise me at all if she was told to purposefully blow it so that her teammates could take gold and silver and they could have the medal ceremony go forward, and that's why her teammates were so upset after winning.

Sweep the leg? Wouldn’t be unheard of for Russia. 
And yes , Gu is good but fuck it…Goo Be Gone from my TV set. NBC spending all this damn time on her and Mikaela and the Russian girl (I do hurt for her btw)…barely any real coverage of JacobEllis etc and other Americans. Fuck NBC. Fuck The China government. fuck russia. Fuck the IOC. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, lemonlime said:

Those were not the emotions of a person throwing the match. Like the Chinese athletes and China, the Russians only care about how Russia and Russians will react. Their internet and news are censored so the Russian people will prob never hear of the controversy. She wanted to win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Yes, the semis were at 6am this morning and the Bronze game starts at midnight tonight.

That semi was a really entertaining match with good shotmaking and some interesting strategy.  The US finally blinked in the 9th and 10th innings.

I hate cheating. I hate Russia. I took absolutely no pleasure watching a 15 yo girl buckle under the pressure. Fuck all that shit show that is Russian figure skating and figure skating in general. 

That was deeply unpleasant to watch. Doubly so since I have a 15 year old daughter.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

That was deeply unpleasant to watch. Doubly so since I have a 15 year old daughter.

My 14yo daughter said, "She shouldn't have been doping.  Don't start no shit, won't be no shit."

Well, she didn't exactly say that last part, but it was implied

• Haha 2

China and Russia governments created bubbles where they control the content (giant internet firewalls) and news that reaches their people. China and Russia encourage and pursue cheating. They only care about results because how they got those results will never be communicated to the majority of the people in those countries. When their athletes win, it bolsters national pride within the people, that they competed and won against the US and the rest of the world. It's the East German mentality. 

So are the athletes to blame? Yes. But if you want to compete for your country, you prob have to go along with what your coach and the government say. As an athlete, you can try to cleanly compete against your countrymen but when they pass you up because of external enhancements which you can also have, you will soon cheat too. The question also rises if they know exactly what they are taking and are basically just told to take it.

The next opinion is that then the athletes shouldn't compete because they know they are cheating. Most of Russia and China are poor. This is how many kids and their families can escape poverty. Plus past champions are held in the highest esteem nationally. They are superheroes. It comes at a heavy price as they are shipped off to their training facilities at a young age and sometimes never see their families for years/decades. The closest analogy that I can think of is all the high school athletes who accept money and bribes to attend universities to play sports. College football and basketball are poster children for cheating and yet we generally dismiss it. Do the winning schools give a shit about their cheating ways to win National Championships? Do China and Russia care that the rest of the world knows they cheat?

Not excusing any of this shit. Just giving context to the shit show that I watched last night with that 15 yo girl and the blatant scoring in favor of Gu. Yet I will continue to watch because every athlete who didn't cheat, who spent 10s of thousands of hours practicing so that they can compete in the Olympics only once in every 4 years, deserves my attention. 

Edited by crash_davis

12 hours ago, lemonlime said:

she was told to take a dive.  the histrionics from the coaches confirms it.  they were playing it up and asking her why she screwed up to cover for the dive.

It's sad to see what they'd do to a 15 year old but....you know...Russia/Communists.

12 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Those were not the emotions of a person throwing the match. Like the Chinese athletes and China, the Russians only care about how Russia and Russians will react. Their internet and news are censored so the Russian people will prob never hear of the controversy. She wanted to win. 

I'm guessing that they'll hear that evil and corrupt western officials/media destroyed our beautiful, sweet, innocent Kamila.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

she was told to take a dive.  the histrionics from the coaches confirms it.  they were playing it up and asking her why she screwed up to cover for the dive.

It's sad to see what they'd do to a 15 year old but....you know...Russia/Communists.

i don't see it this way at all. again Russia doesn't give a fuck if there isn't a medal ceremony had she won.

they were after the "we swept the medals in women figure skating, 1st, 2nd and 3rd, bitches!" that's the news which would've been blasted every hour on every news source. they would've had a national televised medal ceremony live when the skaters got home. national pride would have been through roof. Russian skating cements their greatness onto the world, No one can touch our accomplishments!

She wanted to win. Russians wanted her to win. They were after the historic win to sell to their people.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

i don't see it this way at all. again Russia doesn't give a fuck if there isn't a medal ceremony had she won.

they were after the "we swept the medals in women figure skating, 1st, 2nd and 3rd, bitches!" that's the news which would've been blasted every hour on every news source. they would've had a national televised medal ceremony live when the skaters got home. national pride would have been through roof. Russian skating cements their greatness onto the world, No one can touch our accomplishments!

She wanted to win. Russians wanted her to win. They were after the historic win to sell to their people.

not a chance.  A russian got the gold(and silver).  That is all that matters to Russia.  It's already dying down because she didn't get a medal and that's all that Russia cared about.

the judges were more than happy to place her 4th.

13 hours ago, lemonlime said:

this.

26 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I feel bad for the girl who won - here she is, the gold medal winner, and nobody went over to congratulate her. She was all alone. 

She wasn’t who the Kremlin planned on winning. After winning gold she had the reaction of a girl who’s parents were about to be sent to the gulag 

image.jpeg.6a8ed7c3869c11374045019da39a1113.jpeg

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

She wasn’t who the Kremlin planned on winning. After winning gold she had the reaction of a girl who’s parents were about to be sent to the gulag 

Fuck Russia but that's the area where the leaders sit.  there aren't coaches there.  they are only in the kiss/cry area when scoring.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Except she had the same coach as the gold and silver medalists.  They knew if she won there would be no medal ceremony, and her medal would almost certainly be stripped anyway.  So they told her to throw her performance so that her teammates could take gold and silver.  The "winner's" reactions to winning Olympic gold make this clear.

That said, I don't blame Valeiva.  She's a kid.  Who was abused by the adults in her life for some fake glory.

the silver medalist (redhead) was the one bawling right? i mean she seemed really angry. i wish we had a translation of what she was saying at the end when she was hysterically crying and Valieva was being 'consoled'...

anyways...Valieva has giant hands 😐

image.png.8bdea970b76f509c23a5e8e6598af539.png

ETA: so apparently Trusova (redhead) was basically pissed she didn't get the gold since Valieva f/up bc she does all the quads as well and was saying how she hated skating now and screaming at her coach about it.

man, serious drama lol

Russian figure skating has surpassed Russian gymnastics for fuckedupedness.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 12:51 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

I’ve paid zero attention to figure skating. But having a young daughter. What’s the back story here. She looks sad depressed and holding a teddy bear. Like I want to hug this kid. What’s wrong here