Memorial Day BBQ

ousuxndallas

Brisket's been on the smoker since 6:00, pit's at 300, brisket is holding at 160, about a half-hour into the stall.  Should be good to go at final temp by 4:00 or so, I'll rest it and serve around 6.

Beef short ribs have also been on since about 9:30, they'll be good to go at 5:30 I'd guess.

Pork spare ribs will go on at 1.  Sausage will go on ~5.  

Oh and based on comments and recommendations here on the Surl, I'm gonna smoke some Brussels sprouts, too.  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Edited by utee94

2  Briskets, 6 racks of baby backs, 1 pork shoulder, two chickens, and a bunch of sausage.  Briskets and butt going on around 9 tonight.  Ribs and chicken going on in the morning.  Just worked in the yard for 5 hours getting the place ready for 50+ people tomorrow at 4 pm.  Pics to follow.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Basically to 3 cups of rice (yields six) add 1lb of spicy breakfast sausage, 1/2 lb ground pork, 1/2 lb chicken livers, 1cup each of onion, celery and green bell pepper.  Garlic, wooster and some cayenne.  Brown the meat first, add veggies and seasoning,  2 bay leaves, cook down a bit.  Then add 2 to one beef broth to water double your rice, wait five minutes and add rice.  (6 cups liquid vs 3 cups rice) cook for 20 minutes listening for when the liquid runs out.  That’s where I screwed up.  The cast iron retains the boiling heat way more than I’m used to.  That’s why it scorched. 

It's righteous shit from San Antonio. Just discovered it a month ago but they've been around for ages. Big pack at Costco is about 15 bucks. I hear you can get smaller packs at HEB, etc. Great heat. Comes on after the bite. Threw it on the smoker for about an hour while brisket was resting. Pumped some extra pecan on to jazz it up.041371c8cde418176b4d902108c7b087.jpg

the smoked brussel sprouts thing turned out pretty good.   I was working all day, so not a lot of time to mess with it.  just grabbed a random recipe off the web and approximated it (called for bacon so how bad could it be?).

rib ldaf, but was not at all.

no9egg.jpg

2ibgfg0.jpg

• Like 1

No pics but I has a major sad....

Going to a friend's house today for a party and volunteered to bring some meat.

Threw two pork butts (about 15 pounds total) on the egg Saturday morning about 6.   Pulled them and put them in the cooler when they got to 200.   Tossed a 10 pound brisket on.   After about 4+ hours, had it at 165 so I foiled it.  When it got to 200, I pulled it and tossed it in the cooler.   While that mellowed out, I started pulling the pork.   Served it all around 7.  Everything was spectacular.   

Before anyone starts to wonder on time for all of that, I tend to cook higher than normal.  I have a hard time getting my egg below 300 when doing long cooks so I just go with it.   Because of that, I tend to turbo large cuts of meat but they still end up being pretty damn good.  Did the pork butts at closer 325 for most of the time but they still turned out awesome.

And then the power went out.   We had a wicked thunderstorm go through.   After I got it all packed up and put in the fridge, I debated on whether to go buy a shit ton of ice and put it all in my large cooler.   Then I fell asleep on the couch.   All that time outside wore my ass out and I woke up 8 hours later.   Power was still out.  Shit.  I'm gonna have to pitch it all.   

11 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

It's righteous shit from San Antonio. Just discovered it a month ago but they've been around for ages. Big pack at Costco is about 15 bucks. I hear you can get smaller packs at HEB, etc. Great heat. Comes on after the bite. Threw it on the smoker for about an hour while brisket was resting. Pumped some extra pecan on to jazz it up.041371c8cde418176b4d902108c7b087.jpg

I alway get those at Costco and i did the same thing yesterday.   

8 hours ago, Elvis Presto said:

I alway get those at Costco and i did the same thing yesterday.   

20 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I indeed occasionally get the small packs at Central Market, along with some fresh corn tortillas.  Heat in skillet until plump, put in a warm tortilla, add a strong brown mustard...simple and delicious. 

• Like 1

I didn't take pics, but trust me, this one came out of left field.  Smoked a 14.5 lb whole packer brisket on hickory starting yesterday afternoon.  Good smoke the whole run, temperature hovered between 210 F and 250 F.  I pulled it at about 13 hours and finished in the oven because it was 4 AM and I was about to pass out.

Carved it up tonight, and there was no smoke ring.  Not "a small smoke ring",  NO smoke ring.  Nada.  No pink.  WTF?  

It tasted fine.  The flat was moist, the moist was moister.  Great bark (2:1 black pepper to salt).  Just no smoke ring.

Never had THAT happen before.  Any ideas?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I didn't take pics, but trust me, this one came out of left field.  Smoked a 14.5 lb whole packer brisket on hickory starting yesterday afternoon.  Good smoke the whole run, temperature hovered between 210 F and 250 F.  I pulled it at about 13 hours and finished in the oven because it was 4 AM and I was about to pass out.

Carved it up tonight, and there was no smoke ring.  Not "a small smoke ring",  NO smoke ring.  Nada.  No pink.  WTF?  

It tasted fine.  The flat was moist, the moist was moister.  Great bark (2:1 black pepper to salt).  Just no smoke ring.

Never had THAT happen before.  Any ideas?

creosote. Or something.