Shriner's College Classic Weekend Thread

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Seriously. Out of all of the shitty hires we’ve made, thank Christ Perrin and them weren’t like “well, he’s learned under Augie. He’s ready!!” We absolutely nailed the Pierce hire. Just the perfect for us

There were quite a few pay raises handed out at other programs before we landed on him. I’m thrilled beyond belief, but it’s not like it was a smooth hiring process. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

6 SB in an inning? Gotta figure that out Tenn lol

Guy is super slow to the plate.  Them Tennessee clowns on the Rant were trying to convince other posters last night's Pitcher was the Sunday starter and this guy today was better lulz.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

26 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

There were quite a few pay raises handed out at other programs before we landed on him. I’m thrilled beyond belief, but it’s not like it was a smooth hiring process. 

Oh no that was a cluster. No idea what went down but it seemed like we at least reached out to Casey, Savage, Johnson, O’Sullivan. Really weird process but at the end of the day, we nailed this hire. Idk if he’s the best coach in the country, but he’s definitely the best fit for the Texas job. Dude is gonna have a statue with the other legends in the next 15 or so years when he hangs it up 

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Oh no that was a cluster. No idea what went down but it seemed like we at least reached out to Casey, Savage, Johnson, O’Sullivan. Really weird process but at the end of the day, we nailed this hire. Idk if he’s the best coach in the country, but he’s definitely the best fit for the Texas job. Dude is gonna have a statue with the other legends in the next 15 or so years when he hangs it up 

USC did the same kind of thing when they got Pete Carroll. 

I love the final result. And the point being that we never thought of Skip as the fallback is legitimate. No offense to Skip, but Pierce was always the better hire.

His off speed stuff set him apart for sure. 
But his “on speed” stuff was filthy as well. Great location and movement. Not to mention consistently hitting 97/98. I was glad to see him out of there. 

Yes. His stuff was good, though a bit rattled with a runner on and easily stole on. True freshman I believe. Not sure if he was losing his stuff or they had him on a pitch count. He was pulled at 80 or there abouts. Did us a favor as the first reliever was toasted by us and then the wheels came off.
I hope our crowd shows up as we got there at the end of LSU- blowU last night and they were drunk and rowdy and of course obnoxious.
Hadn’t been there 5 minutes with the wife (no pics ) and some drunk frat boys starting talking shit. I just told them “we’ll see you in Omaha”. No comeback.
Hope the team kicks some coonass tonight.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I love the final result. And the point being that we never thought of Skip as the fallback is legitimate. No offense to Skip, but Pierce was always the better hire.

AAS reported within days after Augie's dismissal Skip would not be considered.   Only in fans' minds was he a candidate.   Administration wanted a new slate.

Just now, torre said:

AAS reported within days after Augie's dismissal Skip would not be considered.   Only in fans' minds was he a candidate.   Administration wanted a new slate.

It wasn’t only in fans minds. For year leading up to Augie’s forced resignation he was deemed as the predecessor.

4 minutes ago, torre said:

Texas tends not to ever hire assistants. I consider Sarkisian a bit of an experiment, and he had head coaching experience. 

I can't ever remember Texas hiring an assistant, except in women's swimming and diving.

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Got some friends across the street from the stadium needing tickets that aren't 100+ dollars, anyone need to part with theirs?

They should be 20 online. Buy them on the Astros site and they’ll be on your app 5 seconds later 

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Got some friends across the street from the stadium needing tickets that aren't 100+ dollars, anyone need to part with theirs?

A bit ridiculous that they sold out of GA tickets. Ballpark is empty, yet I had to buy my son a 60 dollar premium ticket. At least we both get food out of it. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

USC did the same kind of thing when they got Pete Carroll. 

The second Augie was let go, looking at potential replacements, pierces resume immediately stood out. I wanted us to hire him from the get go. There was no Augie or baseball Urban we could’ve money whipped that year. Casey, O’Sullivan, Johnson and Corbin obviously stood out. But man, his time as an assistant at cougar high and Rice was outstanding. His Sam Houston and Tulane teams were really good teams. Made the tournament all 5 years as a head coach and won the Southland out right twice and won their conference tournament one year. All that along with being a Texas high school baseball coach made him “the guy” in my mind