Selection Sunday

Pancho

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So glad Texas doesn't play till Friday. 

Now I can enjoy the Tuesday and Thursday games, and at least 20 teams will already be gone from the tournament before the Horns even play...  😋

If I remember correctly, the Northern Iowa game was the last game of the first round. That was the worst way to end those great, two days. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Baylor is going to benefit from tanking in the Big 12 tournament and getting a week of rest. 

But they are one twisted ankle from essentially having a 5-man rotation. Thin, and beyond. 

Lots of folks thought Baylor should drop to the #2 Seed line due to all of their injuries.  I guess they got the benefit of the doubt since they won championship last year...  

Edited by LTtxfan
Fuckin' Autocorrect

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you told me 5 months ago that I’d give a shit about today, I’d have laughed in your face.

Now we got a draw against a team without a coach, 6 hours from our campus.

giphy.gif

Yeah, LSU might have 50 people in Milwaukee. Including the team and support staff.

ISU is going to represent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you told me 5 months ago that I’d give a shit about today, I’d have laughed in your face.

Now we got a draw against a team without a coach, 6 hours from our campus.

giphy.gif

Kick their fucking ass

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

spacer.png

VT (116th of 358) and likely Purdue (215th) don't play defense the way the Big 12 does. Meaning our offense might not be horrible. The average Big 12 defense was 74.9, with KSU and WVU killing that average at 150 and 190 respectively. The closest Big 12 team that made the tournament in regards to defense was Kansas at 90.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Beating Va Tech will be a successful season. Shit ton better than our last 6 tournament performances. 

We're not beating Purdue. That would be ugly. 

Fucking North Texas beat Purdue last season in the tournament.  Purdue is overrated like always.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Is VT better than Kansas or Tennessee? Cause we beat both of those teams.  I’m not worried about them, or really even Purdue.

I mean, sure, but is VT better than K State or Okie St?  Because we lost to both of those teams.

That's the problem: you never know what you're gonna get with Texas.  We have stretches where we look like we can beat any team in this tournament and stretches where we look like we can't beat any team in this tournament, and often those stretches are in the same game.

And you're not worried about Purdue, really?  You're looking at the two best games we played all year and assuming that's who we really are, not the other 30-something games, so Purdue is proper fucked?  I mean, I like the enthusiasm, but I hope someone's got your car keys.

• Like 1

Just now, TexArcher said:

I mean, sure, but is VT better than K State or Okie St?  Because we lost to both of those teams.

That's the problem: you never know what you're gonna get with Texas.  We have stretches where we look like we can beat any team in this tournament and stretches where we look like we can't beat any team in this tournament, and often those stretches are in the same game.

And you're not worried about Purdue, really?  You're looking at the two best games we played all year and assuming that's who we really are, not the other 30-something games, so Purdue is proper fucked?  I mean, I like the enthusiasm, but I hope someone's got your car keys.

We also aren’t playing at home, like we did against KU and Tenn in those wins 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

In two days, Texas A&M would have won the tourney. 

They didn't deserve to get in but would have been a tough out.

March isn't about who the best teams are during the regular season. It's about what teams are playing best going into mid March. 

A&M was playing well.

But fuck them.

22 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Is VT better than Kansas or Tennessee? Cause we beat both of those teams.  I’m not worried about them, or really even Purdue.

Recency bias. VT is not a great defensive team or a very athletic team tbh. Our defense can really bother them and force them to make outside shots. Definitely a tough out but I really don’t understand the pundits being so dismissive of Texas in this game but we’ll see

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

VT (116th of 358) and likely Purdue (215th) don't play defense the way the Big 12 does. Meaning our offense might not be horrible. The average Big 12 defense was 74.9, with KSU and WVU killing that average at 150 and 190 respectively. The closest Big 12 team that made the tournament in regards to defense was Kansas at 90.

Only us (6th) and TTU (11th), of Big 12 teams, give up less PPG than VT (22nd) in the nation. And if you have watched them play this year, you would know they play some mean D. 
Mike Young can coach. This will be a tough game. We got a shitty draw. 

7F0A66E6-EA48-4349-A5A2-DF75A6DF4C39.jpeg

Edited by JerrysJheriCurl
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I really don’t understand the pundits being so dismissive of Texas in this game but we’ll see

It's not about being dismissive. One team is playing its best basketball of the year while another is playing some of it's worst.

Like I said, mid March isn't about how good you looked in January.

10 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

They didn't deserve to get in but would have been a tough out.

March isn't about who the best teams are during the regular season. It's about what teams are playing best going into mid March. 

A&M was playing well.

But fuck them.

Their lowest point total of the season occurred…today.  Or yesterday. Whenever they played last.   I’m lost. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

It's not about being dismissive. One team is playing its best basketball of the year while another is playing some of it's worst.

Correct. You don’t want to limp into March. One team has lost 3 straight, including blowing a 20 point lead in their last game to a 9 seed. The other just rolled through the ACCT and embarrassed A 2 seed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

VT has won a bunch of close games to mediocre teams. We’ve lost a bunch of close games to much better teams. VT being favored is fine but saying VT feels more like a 6 and we’re 11 is a bit of a reach. We’ll see though

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Besides this above there is also really no upside for a pundit to ride our nuts.  Whether it's hoops or football we have either disappointed or just flat out sucked in so many situations that as a pundit why would you jump on us when you know everybody hates us and is looking to rub out face in it.  Why take the risk of "Texas is Back" until we show something.  

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Correct. You don’t want to limp into March. One team has lost 3 straight, including blowing a 20 point lead in their last game to a 9 seed. The other just rolled through the ACCT and embarrassed A 2 seed. 

We did the opposite of limping into March last year, and that didn't work out well.  I like our limping chances better this year.